ADVERTISEMENT

A Bad Sign

riflearm2

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Dec 8, 2004
It’s understandable if an assistant coach leaves for a similar position at a better program. That was the assumption when it was announced that Marshall’s safety coach/recruiting coordinator Mike Treier was heading to Florida State.

However, it’s now being reported that he is leaving for an analyst position - an off the field position that isn’t allowed to include any coaching.

That’s a really, really bad sign.

It’s understandable if an assistant coach leaves for a similar position at a better program. That was the assumption when it was announced that Marshall’s safety coach/recruiting coordinator Mike Treier was heading to Florida State.

However, it’s now being reported that he is leaving for an analyst position - an off the field position that isn’t allowed to include any coaching.

We ridicule WVU for their head coach leaving for a head coaching job at Houston. Sounds like Treier was wanting out of town in a bad way.

That’s because after DH retires at the end of next season he would be looking for a job. As I posted on another thread it’s happening.

Reactions: i am herdman
Last edited:
Reactions: Caseymnm
Hard to say not knowing the particulars. Leavitt's contract was for a partial year as he was brought in after the season started. We also don't know if they are dangling the carrot of an on field position or anything else.

I certainly think we will see our better coaches jumping ship if opportunities arise, but not enough info on this one to know if it was for better or worse.

banker6796 said:

Hard to say not knowing the particulars. Leavitt's contract was for a partial year as he was brought in after the season started. We also don't know if they are dangling the carrot of an on field position or anything else.

I certainly think we will see our better coaches jumping ship if opportunities arise, but not enough info on this one to know if it was for better or worse.Click to expand...[/quote]

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.tallahassee.com/amp/4391510002

While it may eventually turn out to be a promotion, there’s no guarantee of that and in the meantime I’d say he’s downgraded. It’s not like FSU is going to be beating Clemson any time soon, and their fans and boosters will grow restless. I’m sure he’s got some sort of gentleman’s agreement worked out with Fuller and Norvell...but there’s no guarantees(unless you coach at Marshall).

Last edited:
We also don't know if they are dangling the carrot of an on field position or anything else.

Norvell is bringing in a new staff. It’s hard to imagine him promising an on-field position in a year or two considering he will try and hope that he doesn’t lose anyone from a brand new staff.

Sure, he could be the next guy to fill an open defensive position, but that’s quite a risk to hope for instead of staying on-field for the same or more money . . . unless, of course, you’re wanting to jump ship.

It’s very rare for an FBS on-field to take an FBS off-field position regardless of the program. A Miami (not the real one, the little one in Ohio) assistant left a recently accepted on-field position years ago to accept an off-field position at Alabama, but that’s one of the few instances it happens.

That’s because after DH retires at the end of next season he would be looking for a job. As I posted on another thread it’s happening.

If that is indeed true, Hamrick needs to start a short list now and make overtures soon. Hire the coach the last day we play football, or the next day Doc announces his retirement. This would allow the new guy to get some coaches in place and recruits lined out as well. Jmo

I. Hire the coach the last day we play football, or the next day Doc announces his retirement.o

Not that Hamrick or John have cared much about them previously, but there are state hiring rules that would prohibit that.

Further, best practices also would suggest doing opposite of that. A quality candidate should have interview opportunities elsewhere, so it would make it chaotic to immediately try to kick somebody, unless of course, they are a candidate with no other options (bad sign). Then, you also have to realize that many good coaches get let go for many reasons (prematurely, unrealistic expectations at a previous school, etc.) who are quality candidates (think what Skip Holtz has done after getting let go at USF), and it makes it even more silly to immediately have a hire ready. To continue, many top candidates should be some of the best FCS head coaches who are likely still coaching teams in the playoffs and won’t start recruiting for a new program until their season is done.

Maybe the guy's loyalty is to Fuller and he believes Fuller is going places. Wouldn't be a stretch to see a FSU DC get a head coaching job if he is successful and can interview well. Would you rather tie your cart to Fuller or John Holliday given the current situation of each?

Maybe the guy's loyalty is to Fuller and he believes Fuller is going places. Wouldn't be a stretch to see a FSU DC get a head coaching job if he is successful and can interview well. Would you rather tie your cart to Fuller or John Holliday given the current situation of each?

That reinforces my point - he took an inferior position to jump ship before it fully sinks.

Reactions: HerdFan73
I wish we would look at a successful FCS coach. Heck, even a successful D2 coach. Someone young, energetic, proven winner and offensive genius. They'd get a hefty pay increase and budget. Nice jump for many coaches. jmo.
I'd love to have a Brohm clone.

But the synic in me says we'll go for a middle aged D1 assistant - rinse, repeat.

Reactions: cottrell75

Treier is a Senior Analyst at FSU. He will be making more $$ than he did at Marshall (low 6 figures). This in many ways is a smart move for a young coach who isn’t even 30 yet. Norvell has turnover in his staff every year. Just look at his history of asst. coaches at Memphis. They move on in most cases to better jobs i.e. Coordinator or Head Coach positions. Norvell also has a history of promoting his off field people when a coach leaves his staff. I wouldn’t be surprised if Treier is on field at FSU by the the start of the 2021 season. Also, Fuller is a hot name in the industry and if he leaves for a head job he will most certainly take Treier with him. Fuller is smart and is getting his people in place. He also took former Marshall player and GA and Memphis GA Cortez Carter with him to FSU as a Junior Defensive Analyst.

Treier is a Senior Analyst at FSU. He will be making more $$ than he did at Marshall (low 6 figures). This in many ways is a smart move for a young coach who isn’t even 30 yet. Norvell has turnover in his staff every year. Just look at his history of asst. coaches at Memphis. They move on in most cases to better jobs i.e. Coordinator or Head Coach positions. Norvell also has a history of promoting his off field people when a coach leaves his staff. I wouldn’t be surprised if Treier is on field at FSU by the the start of the 2021 season. Also, Fuller is a hot name in the industry and if he leaves for a head job he will most certainly take Treier with him. Fuller is smart and is getting his people in place. He also took former Marshall player and GA and Memphis GA Cortez Carter with him to FSU as a Junior Defensive Analyst.
I firmly believe Fuller will be our HC in 2021.

I just took it as an indication the recruiting coordinator we had sucked, and was getting out while the getting was good. I mean didn't we all just spend the last two weeks complaining about how shitty the recruiting class was?

Reactions: HerdFan73
I wish we would look at a successful FCS coach. Heck, even a successful D2 coach. Someone young, energetic, proven winner and offensive genius. They'd get a hefty pay increase and budget. Nice jump for many coaches. jmo.
I'd love to have a Brohm clone.

But the synic in me says we'll go for a middle aged D1 assistant - rinse, repeat.
A fresh hot coach in fcs like our current oc?

He will be making more $$ than he did at Marshall (low 6 figures).

Source?

Also, Fuller is a hot name in the industry and if he leaves for a head job he will most certainly take Treier with him. Fuller is smart and is getting his people in place.

Treier going to FSU or not wouldn't impact him being hired on Fuller's staff. If they already have that relationship, Treier staying at Marshall wouldn't impact that. He'd still be hired if Fuller takes a job elsewhere.

It's not a smart move in "many ways" like you said. If FSU ends up having an awful defense over the next two years, Fuller's opportunities become zilch, and as a result, Treier's do as well.

Treier is leaving an on-field job for an off-field job in order to hitch his wagon to Fuller (and jump ship at Marshall before it sinks). Treier's future employment on Fuller's staff wasn't contingent on him going to FSU in an off-field role. Fuller's potential head coaching opportunity would have resulted in him hiring Treier regardless. Treier is betting on Fuller to succeed. In doing so, he's taking a risk and leaving a better position for an inferior position and no amount of "senior" titles changes that.

If that wasn't the case, you'd see on-field G5 coaches taking off-field positions at P5 schools all of the time since P5 schools have coordinators who are hired more often as head coaches, have bigger budgets to pay higher salaries, etc.

Let's be honest here, rifle. Your decision making process led you on the career path to become an unemployed coach. Not sure that, even though you have industry exposure, you are an expert on how to move up the coaching ranks. If you were I suspect you would be at least a QB coach at a P5 school by now. You had the results to warrant it, but obviously didn't execute the proper plan to capitalize on that success.

Let's be honest here, rifle. Your decision making process led you on the career path to become an unemployed coach..

No. My success allowed me to not have to take a job just to take a job, not have to bend my principles to take/keep a job, and not have to backstab coaches I worked with like I saw so many others do to try and advance their careers.

“Success” is hardly the recipe needed to advance as a position coach. It’s far more about being able to GA under a coach/program who has people become head coaches, kissing ass, and having played under a coach who now is a coordinator/head coach.

For instance, look at Arizona State. Three weeks ago, they hired a guy to become a full-time coach. His background? He played at LA Harbor College (where?), then played a year or two at Old Dominion. He then spent a couple of years as a GA at USC and this season as an analyst at Oregon before being hired full-time at Arizona State. His brother is a very popular up-and-coming rapper in LA (signed on the same label as Kendrick Lamar), but do you really think he is in his position based on his coaching success?

Three days ago, Arizona State topped this hire. They hired 24 year old Chris Hawkins to a full-time, on field coaching position. His experience? He graduated from college in 2018 and worked a year in commercial real estate. He then spent this season, his first in coaching, as a GA at USC. Now, he’s full time at Arizona State. Do you think he was hired due to his coaching success? Oh, yeah - his dad is the head of recruiting for California’s top 7-on-7 team which includes Arizona State’s top receiving recruit in the 2020 class and their freshman QB.

It’s not about success as a coach in any way.

No. My success allowed me to not have to take a job just to take a job, not have to bend my principles to take/keep a job, and not have to backstab coaches I worked with like I saw so many others do to try and advance their careers.

“Success” is hardly the recipe needed to advance as a position coach. It’s far more about being able to GA under a coach/program who has people become head coaches, kissing ass, and having played under a coach who now is a coordinator/head coach.

For instance, look at Arizona State. Three weeks ago, they hired a guy to become a full-time coach. His background? He played at LA Harbor College (where?), then played a year or two at Old Dominion. He then spent a couple of years as a GA at USC and this season as an analyst at Oregon before being hired full-time at Arizona State. His brother is a very popular up-and-coming rapper in LA (signed on the same label as Kendrick Lamar), but do you really think he is in his position based on his coaching success?

Three days ago, Arizona State topped this hire. They hired 24 year old Chris Hawkins to a full-time, on field coaching position. His experience? He graduated from college in 2018 and worked a year in commercial real estate. He then spent this season, his first in coaching, as a GA at USC. Now, he’s full time at Arizona State. Do you think he was hired due to his coaching success? Oh, yeah - his dad is the head of recruiting for California’s top 7-on-7 team which includes Arizona State’s top receiving recruit in the 2020 class and their freshman QB.

It’s not about success as a coach in any way.
You would think a guy with your vast connections to the music industry and multiple high dollar real estate holdings would have coaches beating down your door offering you whatever you wanted

our last 4 coaches were assistants. IMO 2 really good, one mediocre( dealt a tough hand) and 1 average.

They were thats true. Snyder wasn’t ready and it showed. Doc is too engrained in his thinking based on past experience and its limited his effectiveness greatly and allowed this program to flounder in mediocrity.

Pruett and Donnan were hungry and still young enough to adapt to the game and had great assistants as well. Jmo

That said, the game has changed. We need someone young and hungry. An older retread won’t get the results we desire.
Look at WKU, many on here poo pooed the hire of Helton but he got them turned around and won 9 games and a bowl in his first year. They’ll be better next year. He’s young. Brohm was young.

Reactions: ohio herd

I certainly think we will see our better coaches jumping ship if opportunities arise, but not enough info on this one to know if it was for better or worse.

Let's be honest here, rifle. Your decision making process led you on the career path to become an unemployed coach. Not sure that, even though you have industry exposure, you are an expert on how to move up the coaching ranks. If you were I suspect you would be at least a QB coach at a P5 school by now. You had the results to warrant it, but obviously didn't execute the proper plan to capitalize on that success.

Treier has just left his analyst position at Florida State after a month to go to Colorado State as their safeties coach.

Any of you morons want to weigh in on this? Tell me again how going to FSU as an analyst is a good career move (false), was for more money (false), was because he was promised an on-field position next year making the drop worthwhile (false), because he was riding along with Fuller to ride his coattails, or any of the other bogus excuses you presented.

Leaves a position coaching safeties at Marshall for an analyst position at a program rebuild - a program which went 18-20 over the last three years. Leaves that job about a month into it to take the exact same position (safeties, minus the recruiting coordinator title) at a G5 which is 14-23 in the last three years.

Jumping ship.

Jumping ship from what? Why? Are you under the opinion MU football will NEVER be as good as it was?

As it was when? I am definitely under the impression it will never be as good as it was with Chad and Randy... Having a sustainable NFL QB is not common, and throw in a HOF WR and you have whats known in the MAC or CUSA as an anomaly.. so yes I am under that impression.

Jumping ship from what? Why? Are you under the opinion MU football will NEVER be as good as it was?

I’m under the impression that the current staff has maxed out its potential. Their recruiting classes have gotten progressively worse. They won by finding a QB who could mask their other deficiencies. At least a couple of their coaches are not good coaches.

They will continue to win 6-9 games a year in the worst conference in the country even while having significant advantages to winning over most teams in the conference.

I’m under the impression that the current staff has maxed out its potential. Their recruiting classes have gotten progressively worse. They won by finding a QB who could mask their other deficiencies. At least a couple of their coaches are not good coaches.

They will continue to win 6-9 games a year in the worst conference in the country even while having significant advantages to winning over most teams in the conference.

Good Answer.

jumping ship? Well the guy has 2 cups of coffee and now he's off to the pros! Doc can recognize talent!!!

New York Giants: Sources tell FootballScoop Mike Treier has accepted a position on Joe Judge’s staff. Treier, who coached safeties at Marshall this past season, had accepted a role on Mike Norvell’s staff at Florida State….before being lured to join Steve Addazio’s staff at Colorado State. However, we are told he will coach in New York going forward.

Reactions: ThunderDrunk304
jumping ship? Well the guy has 2 cups of coffee and now he's off to the pros! Doc can recognize talent!!!

New York Giants: Sources tell FootballScoop Mike Treier has accepted a position on Joe Judge’s staff. Treier, who coached safeties at Marshall this past season, had accepted a role on Mike Norvell’s staff at Florida State….before being lured to join Steve Addazio’s staff at Colorado State. However, we are told he will coach in New York going forward.

Marshall:

Safeties coach and recruiting coordinator to . . .

FSU:

Analyst (a lesser job) to . . .

Colorado State:

Safeties coach (same position at Marshall minus the coordinator title) to . . .

Giants:

Undetermined role.

The guy jump shipped to accept the same position (minus the coordinator title) at a G5 that has been bad the last handful of years. That's a bad sign.

And four jobs in about two months isn't a great look.

Marshall:

Safeties coach and recruiting coordinator to . . .

FSU:

Analyst (a lesser job) to . . .

Colorado State:

Safeties coach (same position at Marshall minus the coordinator title) to . . .

Giants:

Undetermined role.

The guy jump shipped to accept the same position (minus the coordinator title) at a G5 that has been bad the last handful of years. That's a bad sign.

And four jobs in about two months isn't a great look.
You forgot to mention his current position. You wish you were on an NFL staff?

You forgot to mention his current position. You wish you were on an NFL staff?

What does that have to do with anything? We are talking about how it is a bad sign that a Marshall full-time coach/coordinator leaves to take an analyst position (which some of you morons was a step up), then quickly left there for the exact same coaching position (minus the coordinator title) at a struggling G5.

What does anything about me have to do with the situation, dork? How obsessed can you be to try and make everything about me instead of the subject? Oh, and these junior-level jobs on NFL staffs are just that - junior-level. They are usually filled by FCS coaches or GAs/QCs at smaller FBS schools. Case in point, a cornerbacks coach from Indiana State being hired in one of these roles today by an NFL team.

Full time FBS coaches aren't filling the "general offensive assistant" role on NFL staffs.

Treier took the first life raft he could find to get off this sinking ship and has been working on upgrading that raft since. It’s unbelievably obvious to anyone that isn’t burying their head in the sand.

It’s easier to find a job when you can sell the “successes” of your time at Marshall than after the whole staff is purged for a disaster season.

What does that have to do with anything? We are talking about how it is a bad sign that a Marshall full-time coach/coordinator leaves to take an analyst position (which some of you morons was a step up), then quickly left there for the exact same coaching position (minus the coordinator title) at a struggling G5.

What does anything about me have to do with the situation, dork? How obsessed can you be to try and make everything about me instead of the subject? Oh, and these junior-level jobs on NFL staffs are just that - junior-level. They are usually filled by FCS coaches or GAs/QCs at smaller FBS schools. Case in point, a cornerbacks coach from Indiana State being hired in one of these roles today by an NFL team.

Full time FBS coaches aren't filling the "general offensive assistant" role on NFL staffs.
junior level pro coach works his way up to QB coach/passing game coordinator with the Philadelphia Eagles
Press Taylor started out with an undetermined role, now at 32 has the title of QB coach/passing game coordinator.

Philadelphia Eagles: The team is adding passing game coordinator title to quarterbacks coach Press Taylor, Tom Pelissero shared today on NFL Network. Multiple reports share that the Eagles play calling will be done by Doug Pederson and that an offensive coordinator will not be named.

junior level pro coach works his way up to QB coach/passing game coordinator with the Philadelphia Eagles
Press Taylor started out with an undetermined role, now at 32 has the title of QB coach/passing game coordinator.

Uh, yeah. You're proving my point. Press was one of those junior level coaches. He wasn't an FBS full-time coach getting hired into that position because it's a big pay drop and title drop.

Here, let me help you:
Source tells FootballScoop that Ryan Milus, who just completed the 2019 Inaugural Alex G. Spanos Fellowship, has been elevated to quality control coach on defense. Prior to the Chargers, he was a defensive assistant working with the secondary at Weber State University (FCS – UT) during the 2017-18 seasons.

Two years ago, he was basically a quality control coach at an FCS. Last year, he was an intern. Now, he is a quality control/assistant defensive coach for the Chargers.

North Texas, 2013: They hired two defensive assistant coaches in the NFL to be full-timers. Again, two defensive assistant coaches in the NFL left to join a bad Sun Belt/Conference USA team at the time. They saw it as a step up in title and pay.

ADVERTISEMENT