ADVERTISEMENT

A few observations from JMU...

RhinoD

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Mar 7, 2007
Marshall
marshall.forums.rivals.com
1. Our defense is good enough to win games... Have to give them a ton of credit. Porter, Burton, Gray, Sam, Abraham, all phenomenal yesterday. Find a way to score 20+ points we can beat anyone.

2. Fancher is the starter the rest of the season... The 2-QB platoon should be done for the year. Fancher showed yesterday why you go with one guy. He was bad in the first half, but he and the coaches made some adjustments at halftime and he looked much better in the second half. He needs snaps and he should get them the rest of the season, with Columbi as the backup.

3. Offensive line adjustments... Tip of the cap to Trickett, and Legg I suppose, there were some changes on the offensive line FINALLY. Palliant, who has played sparingly thus far this season, was our best offensive lineman yesterday. They left him in and he pushed guys around, especially in the running game. We also had two TEs in the game multiple times in the second half, which seems to help Fancher by improving the perimeter blocking.

4. Play calling was better... I can't speak for everyone, but I was fine with Fancher making a mistake or two as long as we were trying to be aggressive. Fancher has a good enough arm to throw intermediate routes, and yesterday we finally did that. Gammage and Keaton were both involved in the offense, Laborn was as good as he always is, and we made some big plays.

We aren't going to be a 40-points per game offense, we just aren't, but with our defense and even a mediocre offense we should be able to get to bowl eligibility and that has to be the goal.

Screen left screen right run up the middle was not good play calling. We had absolutely no offensive production on the majority of our possessions. 10 3 and outs and 4 turnovers on 19 possessions is atrocious
That is how bad our offense has been since Notre Dame... Yesterday was an improvement, especially in the second half.

3/18 on the 3rd down is still terrible... But 26 points, 326 yards of offense, almost perfectly 50/50 between run and pass, is enough to at least have a chance to win the game.

1. Our defense is good enough to win games... Have to give them a ton of credit. Porter, Burton, Gray, Sam, Abraham, all phenomenal yesterday. Find a way to score 20+ points we can beat anyone.

2. Fancher is the starter the rest of the season... The 2-QB platoon should be done for the year. Fancher showed yesterday why you go with one guy. He was bad in the first half, but he and the coaches made some adjustments at halftime and he looked much better in the second half. He needs snaps and he should get them the rest of the season, with Columbi as the backup.

3. Offensive line adjustments... Tip of the cap to Trickett, and Legg I suppose, there were some changes on the offensive line FINALLY. Palliant, who has played sparingly thus far this season, was our best offensive lineman yesterday. They left him in and he pushed guys around, especially in the running game. We also had two TEs in the game multiple times in the second half, which seems to help Fancher by improving the perimeter blocking.

4. Play calling was better... I can't speak for everyone, but I was fine with Fancher making a mistake or two as long as we were trying to be aggressive. Fancher has a good enough arm to throw intermediate routes, and yesterday we finally did that. Gammage and Keaton were both involved in the offense, Laborn was as good as he always is, and we made some big plays.

We aren't going to be a 40-points per game offense, we just aren't, but with our defense and even a mediocre offense we should be able to get to bowl eligibility and that has to be the goal.
If we didn’t fumble at the 5 yard line yesterday we were at least a 33 point offense 😂

That is how bad our offense has been since Notre Dame... Yesterday was an improvement, especially in the second half.

3/18 on the 3rd down is still terrible... But 26 points, 326 yards of offense, almost perfectly 50/50 between run and pass, is enough to at least have a chance to win the game.
Yeah same old same old if you ask me
Bgsu 547 yards
Troy was an abomination 174 yards
Gw 421
UL 338 yards
Outside of troy it’s our worst performance based on yards since nd

Agree with your assessment on the OL, with the exception of Driskell. He was abused all day.

And I did feel we had a little better offensive rhythm in the second half. QB is your leader and has to have confidence. I don't think we are there yet, but it did seem Cam felt a little more comfortable and the Offense seemed to work a "little" better under him in the second half.

I'll add the first half had to rank in the top ten as was one of the worse displays of Offense I had seen by both teams.

Reactions: ohio herd
Agree that you have to go with Fancher the rest of the way. He at least was able to escape some of the rush and threw a few intermediate passes.

Offense is going to have to play better next week. We aren’t going to have the benefit of playing against a backup QB.

I think we wint he Troy game with Fancher in the whole game. I agree, the 2QB crap may finally be unwrapped and disreguarded. Let him play and make his mistakes to learn from. His arm isn't the greatest yet, but with his mobility and getting better at passing we could be just fine. We have 2/3 puzzle pieces here. If we can get our offense to improve from yesterdays performance, we can still win this conference I think. I still see Troy dropping a game or two. We do our part and win, We are IN!

Looking forward to a great game against Coastal. I hope we pack our staduim for their first trip to H-Town!!!

Playcalling wasn't any better. The only thing different is that Fancher isn't afraid to make a play. He may fail at his attempt, but at least he tries.

Huff and Tricketts play calling can be summed up in the play right before half. You call two timeouts for a final shot and your final shot is a bubble screen. Give me a break.

Had Laborn not ripped off a 61 yard TD no one would be praising Trickett or Huff.

The defense is going to do what they've been doing all season. Every game will be within striking distance. We just have to hope that Colombi never plays again and Fancher continues to imrpove. Doesn't have to be a lot, just enough to score 30 points.

Playcalling wasn't any better. The only thing different is that Fancher isn't afraid to make a play. He may fail at his attempt, but at least he tries.

Huff and Tricketts play calling can be summed up in the play right before half. You call two timeouts for a final shot and your final shot is a bubble screen. Give me a break.

Had Laborn not ripped off a 61 yard TD no one would be praising Trickett or Huff.

The defense is going to do what they've been doing all season. Every game will be within striking distance. We just have to hope that Colombi never plays again and Fancher continues to imrpove. Doesn't have to be a lot, just enough to score 30 points.
Trickett is terrible. Got to get a good oc and oline coach this offseason

That was a double pass. The WR who caught the first pass didn't even have a chance to look up.

If you rewatch that play, you can see the receiver on the opposite side release downfield.

That was a double pass. The WR who caught the first pass didn't even have a chance to look up.

If you rewatch that play, you can see the receiver on the opposite side release downfield.
Well no matter. It was out thinking the room. We had around 40 seconds left. Plenty of time to run a couple plays and once that one didn't work we just let the clock run out.

Just bad.

Reactions: goherdorgohome2
Well no matter. It was out thinking the room. We had around 40 seconds left. Plenty of time to run a couple plays and once that one didn't work we just let the clock run out.

Just bad.
No argument from me. Looked like we tried something that didn't work, so we cut our losses on the spot at midfield with time to, at the worst, throw a Hail Mary.

Regardless, I'm very happy that we won.

Just bad.

you can’t just say “well no matter”. If that was the call and it had worked it would have been a great innovative “think outside the box” type of play. Granted had it worked you and others would have been appalled that it took a “lucky trick” play to score against a team that has only played 6 FBS games.

This group is so predictable it’s pathetic.

you can’t just say “well no matter”. If that was the call and it had worked it would have been a great innovative “think outside the box” type of play. Granted had it worked you and others would have been appalled that it took a “lucky trick” play to score against a team that has only played 6 FBS games.

You’re just as predictable and pathetic

It wasn't the right call. Period. It's a slow devloping plays that with a low percentage success rate. If you are legitimately trying to get into scoring position with under a minute you run a quick hitting offense and work ghe sidelines.

What that more tells us is that Huff and Trickett had zero faith in any kind of 2 minute drill offense and decided to try to be cute.

I know you subscribe to "the coaches are always right", but that isn't reality.

Reactions: HerdGrad1999

You can’t run screen passes every game every other play then expect a Defense to cut you a break when you want to fake a screen pass to make a double pass…

Reactions: Rock98Dog

Trick daddy sucks face it..

Didn't know calling a double pass and giving up when it didn't work was "opening up" the offense.
Got it. Opening up the offense should only be at the “right time” Every other time but this time.

I get it. There is a lot wrong with this offense. Trick isn’t he guy. But everyone knows if this play had worked, the fans would have been saying “Finally a new play…”.

Got it. Opening up the offense should only be at the “right time” Every other time but this time.

I get it. There is a lot wrong with this offense. Trick isn’t he guy. But everyone knows if this play had worked, the fans would have been saying “Finally a new play…”.
It’s not a new play because we ran it at nd

Reactions: redsfan5590
You could see as the game progresses Fancher started settling in and slowed things down a little and hung in there with his decision making. Same thing with the play calling….as the game progressed they were willing to throw a few more things out there. A few worked, a few weren’t made but you could see the plays develop and what was trying to be completed.

Reactions: raleighherdfan
Double passes in that scenario is not opening up the playbook… it’s desperation.

Our new slogan needs to be “Bubble Screen U” because I feel like going back to the before the Doc days this is what our offense has been. Bubble left, bubble right, zone read.

Over-reactions on this game - JMU probably wins this game with Centeio. Back-up QB was atrocious with 4 INTs. Herd offense was given so many chances to do something with 27 3-and-outs by JMU offense. Our defense played well, but our defense was able to stack the box since JMU couldn't pass the ball. Our defense and Laborn continue to our best part of team. It will see how we do with CCU with game film from JMU game. We still need to throw the ball down the field effectively against good teams.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Back-up QB was atrocious with 4 INTs.
No, no, no...according to some, their backup is just as good and it was our defense that made him play so poorly.

Defense played a solid game, but their backup definitely is not on the same level as Centeio.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
It’s not a new play because we ran it at nd
Ok. So every fan would have said “finally a play we used when we beat ND 6 games ago!!”

Double passes in that scenario is not opening up the playbook… it’s desperation.
So a “desperation” play is not opening up the playbook??

Again I don’t like this offense at all. AT ALL. But the reality is that a major chunk of college football is running this kind of offense. And a growing number of professional teams are incorporating variations of these plays in their play calling too. This is the trend.

Here is our problem when considering this style of offense: Without a mobile QB with arm strength (Colombi) you’re screwed. Without consistent Oline pass blocking (our Oline)…you’re screwed. Due to the poor play of those 2 offensive components, our WR play is inconsistent.

Our execution is terrible. Our rhythm/pace/type of plays (calling) is terrible. Maybe with Fancher’s mobility some of this can change, maybe some of the play calling can change, maybe the Oline can play better but I’m not sure. Fancher’s arm strength to stretch the field with throws is…ehhh, and you still need an Oline with an ability to stop a pass rush for more than 3 seconds and a WR corp that is willing to block at or just beyond the line of scrimmage.

I concede the offense is a dumpster fire in all aspects. At this point “desperation” is all we have to get us to a “W” and hopefully some changes at seasons end.

The post above nailed it, you can’t throw 15 screens a game and then use it as a base for a slow developing trick play. It’s why we didn’t get the pass off at Notre Dame and why it didn’t work here. It’s a flawed concept.

The post above nailed it, you can’t throw 15 screens a game and then use it as a base for a slow developing trick play. It’s why we didn’t get the pass off at Notre Dame and why it didn’t work here. It’s a flawed concept.
Our offense is a failed concept at this point. Desperation is all we have.

It gained 30 yards at ND.
Just not how it was drawn up

Reactions: W-S HerdFan

Our new slogan needs to be “Bubble Screen U” because I feel like going back to the before the Doc days this is what our offense has been. Bubble left, bubble right, zone read.
I hate that damn play more than any other. Rarely works

Well, sometimes a QB scrambles and gets a big gain. I’m talking about the results of the play as designed and called.
Agreed…. Just be cause the Defense misses a tackle or breakdowns coverage doesn’t mean it was a great play call at just the right time.. but if a Defense blows up a play typically they were expecting it or made all the right reads

Well, sometimes a QB scrambles and gets a big gain. I’m talking about the results of the play as designed and called.
Keaton made the play. He didn't try to force the throw so he took the run option straight down the sideline for 30 yards. The safety was chasing Laborn, who was the intended receiver, instead of running down the ball. I would argue that play still worked.

That was Game 2. Now with film of our passing game out there, that's what you get. I get the thought though... we thought JMU would play back and try not to give up the intermediate pass to get into field goal range. We hoped the quick throw would divert their eye discipline on the backside/middle of the secondary, and we could catch them. It just didn't work.

Good plays don't always work and bad plays don't always fail. I think we can agree on that.

Reactions: HerdGrad1999
Just be cause the Defense misses a tackle or breakdowns coverage doesn’t mean it was a great play call at just the right time
This is the RPO offense in a nutshell. As an OC you are attempting to create mismatches, failed coverages and missed defensive assignments, allowing your WR's athleticism to make plays from very short passes (YAC).

Marshall's problem with this scheme: Colombi was not a mobile threat and he didn't have a bigger arm to throw an occasional deep ball, keeping the defense honest. Terrible Oline play further disrupted passing game allowing opposing defenses to play tight near the line of scrimmage because an avg pass rush would get to us while also taking away the shorter passing routes.

Bottomline, if the Oline can play more consistent and Fancher can deliver an accurate pass downfield because he has more time....and is a threat to run....we MIGHT be able to see things open up a little more. A lot of "ifs".

its why I think we should go under center more, alot more. I think with our RB's running oustide zone from behind the center, downhill, would be a very effective play. Add in the boot from there, which I think Fancher could run pretty well. I think he could get the ball downfield on some over routes, that I think could open right up!! If nottuck it and run. you give him 1 read, or just run.

This is the RPO offense in a nutshell. As an OC you are attempting to create mismatches, failed coverages and missed defensive assignments, allowing your WR's athleticism to make plays from very short passes (YAC).

Marshall's problem with this scheme: Colombi was not a mobile threat and he didn't have a bigger arm to throw an occasional deep ball, keeping the defense honest. Terrible Oline play further disrupted passing game allowing opposing defenses to play tight near the line of scrimmage because an avg pass rush would get to us while also taking away the shorter passing routes.

Bottomline, if the Oline can play more consistent and Fancher can deliver an accurate pass downfield because he has more time....and is a threat to run....we MIGHT be able to see things open up a little more. A lot of "ifs".
That is a lot of if’s…. How about IF we didn’t run screen passes on every other down in every game since 2012 (minus Cato’s playmaking) MAYBE the opposing defenses wouldn't play as tight and allowing us to MAYBE throw a pass about 4-5-6-7 yards down the field instead of -2 yards to the sideline. And MAYBE IF Huff had some balls he would fire Trick Daddy he could take Bill Legg with him. I know that is a lot of If’s

Bad Oline pass blocking can be helped with quicker passes, it showed Saturday at times, But again missed tackles and defensive breakdown doesn’t magically make the play call good…

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT