ADVERTISEMENT

Alex Thomson

bbneutralfan

Gold Buffalo
Sep 29, 2010
Will he ever see any action in a Herd uniform? After all the hype, then we find out his shoulder had not rehabed just wonder what his status is. I know Doc is going the distance with Green. Just wonder what role - if any, Alex will play. Coach Stowers your opinion please.

Reactions: kdbherdon
Rumor is that the shoulder is not game ready for a full go. That's what was floated around our tailgate by a recent AT grad. I hope that is just pure rumor and nothing more. Would be nice to get an honest update from someone.

Mods, can he get a medical RS?

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
Whether he would choose to stay here when he'd only see action in the event of an injury remains to be seen.

Rumor is that the shoulder is not game ready for a full go. That's what was floated around our tailgate by a recent AT grad. I hope that is just pure rumor and nothing more. Would be nice to get an honest update from someone.

He can't shed the soreness. As he throws it gets sore and tightens up. This is why he wasn't able to practice consistently.

Just another lesson learned on buying into preaseason hype. If he was a transfer to another school in conference with those same credentials most of this board would have been poking fun and not remotely scared of facing him.

For some reason because he came here, he was the next greatest thing drawing comparisons to Pennington and Kresser with no evidence suggesting he deserved to be in the same conversation with them.

Glad the AT grad paid attention to all the hipaa lectures.

Will Korn...Birdsong...now Alex Thompson. When will it all end? I find it hard to believe that a school that can boast of Chad Pennington, Byron Leftwich and other greats can't attract better candidates at quarterback. I'd start with hiring a quarterback coach -- the most important piece of the puzzle and we don't have a dedicated position coach. Unbelievable!

Will Korn...Birdsong...now Alex Thompson. When will it all end? I find it hard to believe that a school that can boast of Chad Pennington, Byron Leftwich and other greats can't attract better candidates at quarterback. I'd start with hiring a quarterback coach -- the most important piece of the puzzle and we don't have a dedicated position coach. Unbelievable!

Maybe we need to remember that these kids are 18-22 years old. Leftwich hasn't been at Marshall since these kids were 2-4 years old. Leftwich & Pennington mean nothing to them.

Reactions: pdbailey
Maybe we need to remember that these kids are 18-22 years old. Leftwich hasn't been at Marshall since these kids were 2-4 years old. Leftwich & Pennington mean nothing to them.

Agreed but keep in mind also that Eric Kresser is still a "known" name down south due to his QB camps and HS coaching....While he isnt/wasnt Chad or BLeft, he did play in the NFL and at Florida so he is a name that can help in a small way given the FL recruiting focus.

Kids being recruited today don't give a second thought to guys that played at MU two decades ago... Also, we have had 4-5 notable QB's in the last 47 years, lets not act like we are some sort of QB factory.

Last edited:
I'd start with hiring a quarterback coach -- the most important piece of the puzzle and we don't have a dedicated position coach. Unbelievable!

I have never understood this sentiment. Cramsey is the QB coach. Being an OC doesn't mean he isn't a dedicated position coach.

Based on your logic, that means we don't have a dedicated safeties coach, a dedicated tight ends coach, a dedicated corners coach, and possibly more (if there is a special teams coordinator). All of the coaches who coach those positions also have coordinator roles, so I guess that excludes them from being considered a real position coach or something.

I have never understood this sentiment. Cramsey is the QB coach. Being an OC doesn't mean he isn't a dedicated position coach.

Based on your logic, that means we don't have a dedicated safeties coach, a dedicated tight ends coach, a dedicated corners coach, and possibly more (if there is a special teams coordinator). All of the coaches who coach those positions also have coordinator roles, so I guess that excludes them from being considered a real position coach or something.
Yes, he was announced as the QB coach when he came here. At practice he stands beside the QB's all the time

A little off topic ITT, but what is your overall assessment of Green?

I'm not trying to attack you personally, but this way of thinking is what is wrong with the state of our fan base and largely fan bases around the country. Read over what you just posted. You are demanding that we have all-time great QBs lining up at our door step. Not only that you completely ignored that we just watched and all-time record setting QB from 2011-2014. In all honesty we're measuring current QBs against Cato and that is unfair and impossible. Green is 3 games into his college career and he's already being discounted. People demanded that Pruett sit Byron after his first several outings. Not saying that Green is going to be Byron, but you do realize we are only two QBs removed from an all-time great, right? Blake was a pretty good one too that we had sign with us, but he wanted to play so he left.

That is another thing. Playing time. QBs are searching for a place they can start. QBs do not rotate like other positions. Cato was the unquestioned starter for four seasons. We weren't getting a highly talented guy coming in here between 2012 to 2013 just to sit or play mop up duty. Then Litton was the guy for three seasons and most thought he was going to be this year as well. Now if Green turns out like we all hope you'll see bigger profile QBs move us to the bottom of their lists.

The problem isn't that we can't attract quality QBs because we can. The problem is that everyone keeps buying these fluff articles on this site and others hook line and sinker. You do realize those that write for this site are just fans. If we would just start looking objectively then maybe we wouldn't be so shocked when a player doesn't develop. The signs were there with Thomson just as they were with Willy Korn. The staff never saw either one of them throw a live ball in competition when they offered them. They took flyers on them in hopes they could bridge a short term gap. Not build the program.

Reactions: chuck1069
A little off topic ITT, but what is your overall assessment of Green?

Haven't seen enough. I have only watched the NC State game and bits-and-pieces of the Miami game.

Most rankings have Herbert, Stidham, Grier, and Finley as the top four QBs for the draft, but every one of them is a fool if they don't take Drew Lock first. Grier is a stud with great accuracy, Herbert has good athleticism and size, and Finley does everything above average. But Lock's arm is special. I have either been on the field next to or worked with all of the top college QBs over the last few years (including Darnold, Baker Mayfield, Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen, Mahomes, and many others). None of them have an arm even close to Drew's. It is freakish.

Haven't seen enough. I have only watched the NC State game and bits-and-pieces of the Miami game.

Most rankings have Herbert, Stidham, Grier, and Finley as the top four QBs for the draft, but every one of them is a fool if they don't take Drew Lock first. Grier is a stud with great accuracy, Herbert has good athleticism and size, and Finley does everything above average. But Lock's arm is special. I have either been on the field next to or worked with all of the top college QBs over the last few years (including Darnold, Baker Mayfield, Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen, Mahomes, and many others). None of them have an arm even close to Drew's. It is freakish.

Absolutely agree....Lock is going to be stud in the NFL one day.

I was thinking Alex is our back up QB!!
If he’s taking second team reps, then I believe he’s rehabbed,healthy,healed and ready!

I was thinking Alex is our back up QB!!
If he’s taking second team reps, then I believe he’s rehabbed,healthy,healed and ready!

In the context of what I've seen and heard to this point Thomson is good to come in a play in spots. Maybe he can play for a game, but I do not think that he could play over a several game stretch. Think about it. He couldn't go full in consecutive practices. It sounds to me like the more he throws the tighter and more sore his shoulder becomes. It could be just that he shoulder hasn't been reconditioned yet. He just started throwing in a competition setting in fall camp.

It's just bad timing. If it is a conditioning issue then he will never play as a starter. He can't get a medical RS and if Green progresses there will be no reason to change them out.

I really do feel sorry for the kid because he is trying to realize his dream and his shoulder isn't cooperating.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Doubt it because he has already been granted one. This is his 5th year "playing" and next year would be his 6th.
LaRussa and ODU somehow found a loophole to get a 2nd medical redshirt according to a friend of his that I work with at my company. LaRussa is in his 5th year and is only a JR.

Last edited:
Bleeds kind of like Bee’s injury?

Maybe. I have never really heard what Bee's injury was. I have heard concussion, shoulder, and knee. Knee makes the most sense because he didn't seem to have the same explosiveness the other night. Could be cause it was his first game since last season or he may be hurt worse than we know.

Reactions: bbneutralfan
Bee came into contact with a strange glowing rock while on vacation with his family this summer, and has been held out because he has been developing a prehensile tail and we can't tuck the back of his jersey in. That's 15 yards guys, and that hurts the team.

Prior to the NCSU game, Doc had team physicians cut the tail off and file down the bony nub, but there is worry throughout the staff because it seems like its growing back. He's listed as day-to-day for WKU.

(Look Doc, if you're not going to tell me what's really happening, I'm going to have fun making it up.)

Alex is in the same boat. He's a junior and in his 5th year.
From what I was told LaRussa had 2 medical redshirts due to injuries in 2 seasons.

Allen just proved to a lot of folks just how freakishly athletic he is against Minnesota. I haven’t seen Lock play but if he has a stronger arm than Allen that’s impressive enough to say the least.

Allen just proved to a lot of folks just how freakishly athletic he is against Minnesota. I haven’t seen Lock play but if he has a stronger arm than Allen that’s impressive enough to say the least.

I wouldn't have drafted Allen (at least high). Hell of an arm, but I felt his accuracy and decision-making left a lot to be desired, though the latter could be a result of coaching.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT