ADVERTISEMENT

Allegiant Airways

MichiganHerd

Platinum Buffalo
Aug 17, 2011
Brewpub w/coeds
Does anybody have experience flying with them?

We're heading down to Florida for Spring break, and so far, their ticket prices ($982.00 for two) is the lowest I can find. It's obvious that the airlines are taking full advantage of increased rates during this time period when rednecks from the North fly South.

So far, all I've seen is people bitching about all of their add-on charges, and it appears they gyp you for more shit than other carriers.

I've used them for business and vacation travel. Yeah, they charge for each bag and for premium seats but its no worse than most airlines today. Its great from HTS to Orlando or the other destinations in FL - less than a 2 hour flight. If its cheaper, I'd go with them.

Their price point can't be beat... but don't expect the customer service of a Southwest.

Great if you can get away with just a carry-on for each passenger. Checked bags are expensive

Originally posted by PhattyB:
Great if you can get away with just a carry-on for each passenger. Checked bags are expensive
No Sh**. I think they want $75.00 per bag, which will cost me $300.00 round trip. Would be better off driving for 18 hours, where at least I could take all of my partying material with me. However, the drive back after being on vacation is a bitch.

Don't forget to print your boarding pass at home. That's another $5 if they print it for you.

My Mom flies them all the time back and forth from Florida. They're great but they will nickle and dime you if you're not careful.

I love them.

I don't want "free" checked bags or "free" drinks on the plane. Charge me for what I actually use.

I never select my seat on the plane. They charge you for that. I almost always end up beside my wife anyway. Last time I flew, a checked bag was only $5 more than a carry on. We usually just use 1 bag for the both of us.

It is so great to hop on a plane in Huntington and be in Florida in less than 2 hours.

Originally posted by CockyHerd:
Don't forget to print your boarding pass at home. That's another $5 if they print it for you.

My Mom flies them all the time back and forth from Florida. They're great but they will nickle and dime you if you're not careful.
I saw where they charge you $5 to print off a boarding pass, so that would be another $20 both ways. I went to their site and went through purchasing the tickets, and at the end, they added in another $32.00 charge for paying via credit card. How the hell else can you pay for it? Fvck them. I'm going to go with Southwest out of Detroit.

Almost $1000 to fly to Florida? Where are you getting these prices? I see round trip flights from Detroit for under $300 per person all over the place.

Originally posted by Penn2moss:
Almost $1000 to fly to Florida? Where are you getting these prices? I see round trip flights from Detroit for under $300 per person all over the place.
Where are you seeing that at? I'm traveling 4/3, returning 4/11. Friday/Saturday, and it's a ripoff during Spring break.

Originally posted by MichiganHerd:
Where are you seeing that at? I'm traveling 4/3, returning 4/11. Friday/Saturday, and it's a ripoff during Spring break.
Expedia has a number of options for under $700

I love them.

I don't want "free" checked bags or "free" drinks on the plane. Charge me for what I actually use.

I never select my seat on the plane. They charge you for that. I almost always end up beside my wife anyway. Last time I flew, a checked bag was only $5 more than a carry on. We usually just use 1 bag for the both of us.

It is so great to hop on a plane in Huntington and be in Florida in less than 2 hours.
I didnt have any problems with them. I flew with one backpack as my carry on for a 10 day disney trip. Buy all the rest of the stuff that you can dispose of at walmart etc. when you get down there and you can save that way. Flying with a Woman? Might as well charter a private flight then..... My wife and kids packed it up and we had to pay 75$ for a huge over weight loot bag for our flight back. Even with all that though realistically it was cheaper than any other carrier and we did not want a lay over flying with kids.

I ended up going with the Allegiant flight after all was said and done (mostly said by the old lady). Timing worked out best, and I ended up getting tickets, including bag charges, and a mid-sized rental car (8 days) for $1,364.00.

Not too bad in the end, unless they happen to cancel the one & only flight they have out of Fort Wayne. Then it's spring break in Michigan.

Originally posted by MichiganHerd:
I ended up going with the Allegiant flight after all was said and done (mostly said by the old lady). Timing worked out best, and I ended up getting tickets, including bag charges, and a mid-sized rental car (8 days) for $1,364.00.

Not too bad in the end, unless they happen to cancel the one & only flight they have out of Fort Wayne. Then it's spring break in Michigan.
On that note, I'll provide you with my Mom's most recent Allegiant experience.

After Christmas she was flying home to Florida out of Lynchburg Va. First, her flight was delayed and then finally cancelled. She was told that they were bringing in another plane. After 5 hours they were told to begin boarding.

As they walked out to the tarmac to board she noticed they were not being directed to an Allegiant plane. The aircraft she was boarding had Falcon Air written on the side.

Once on board they were indeed told that this was the replacement flight for the Allegiant flight to Florida. After they got airborne my Mom had a conversation with the Flight Attendant.

Falcon Air is a very small charter airline. (Only 7 planes) They sometimes provide emergency flights on behalf of Allegiant.

Good news is she got home safely. (Just 5+ hours late) At least they provided a flight instead of really cancelling.

Good luck.....Have a great trip!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT