Votes: 16 25.0%
  • 25+

Votes: 2 3.1%

• Total voters

BleedsGreen33

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Jan 25, 2010
Season 4 of the Dan D'Antoni era tipped off last night.

What do you expect out of this team?

Will we play for a championship in 2017-18?

Season 4 of the Dan D'Antoni era tipped off last night.

What do you expect out of this team?

Will we play for a championship in 2017-18?
Yes, we could very well. No doubt about 18-19 with the newcomers he will sign next week along with Bennett and George

One really good player (Elmore) and two potentially good players (West and Burks) and that's it IMO. Maybe others will develop but to be out rebounded by an NAIA team is significant.

We were rooting for OTT. He had 3 or 4 shots that seemed to go in but then spun out of the basket.

GREAT guards. Ott has beautiful jumper, had a couple go 3/4ths down and come back out. Listening to DD, his shooting is the least of our worries. We will struggle on the boards, but system and firepower allows us to outscore teams. Exciting brand and season ahead.

Everyone knows this. But we need two good big men. Penava is ok but way to small to bang inside. Not having Iran Bennett is going to hurt. I'm hoping a couple of our newcomers step up their game.

Hope Coach will compensate for our lack of size/bulk on the interior somewhat by playing some Zone D once in a while. No problems with our pressing more to take advantage of our quickness, athleticism, etc., as well as a plethora of guards, smaller forwards.

But once we're back in a half court game, on D, need to use some Zone, IMO. One of our problems last year was defensibly our guards were often beat off the dribble outside which resulted in an almost unimpeded drive to the basket by an opposing player. Only interior D on those occasions would be when Taylor would try to switch off his man to defend the guard heading to the hole. Result: this scenario often got Ryan into foul trouble. Can't see our "bigs" this year, particularly Penava, being any more quick footed than Taylor, and can see him getting into the same kind of foul trouble too (as well as Milan). Other top teams in CUSA do have some talent and athleticism also, remember that fact.

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
One really good player (Elmore) and two potentially good players (West and Burks) and that's it IMO. Maybe others will develop but to be out rebounded by an NAIA team is significant.

We were rooting for OTT. He had 3 or 4 shots that seemed to go in but then spun out of the basket.
Like last year and all the years Danny has been here, we will get out rebounded by many teams. That is not a major concern to me. Danny has echoed that as well. Most of our offensive rebounds will come from the guards outside because we shoot so many 3's, thus there are long rebounds.

Reactions: 19MU88
Hope Coach will compensate for our lack of size/bulk on the interior somewhat by playing some Zone D once in a while. No problems with our pressing more to take advantage of our quickness, athleticism, etc., as well as a plethora of guards, smaller forwards.

But once we're back in a half court game, on D, need to use some Zone, IMO. One of our problems last year was defensibly our guards were often beat off the dribble outside which resulted in an almost unimpeded drive to the basket by an opposing player. Only interior D on those occasions would be when Taylor would try to switch off his man to defend the guard heading to the hole. Result: this scenario often got Ryan into foul trouble. Can't see our "bigs" this year, particularly Penava, being any more quick footed than Taylor, and can see him getting into the same kind of foul trouble too (as well as Milan). Other top teams in CUSA do have some talent and athleticism also, remember that fact.
He uses a match up zone. They have spent hours and hours over the summer and fall working on it.
You were correct about our guards getting beat last year. Burks was the exception. Burks as a starter along with West and later Watson have made us much quicker than last year with Loop and Browning.

We enter this basketball season like the previous 30 basketball seasons, with the same goal and the same realistic expectation. To be "pretty good". The team will win 20 games or so, beating the bottom of CUSA, and the one bid league cupcakes in the pre-conference schedule, losing to the better pre-conference teams and the better CUSA teams. Hit the tournament, win a game or two. Everybody will be arguing about whether we should pay to play or not in the CIT or whatever. Lather, rinse, repeat. Same as the last 30 years.

Fact is that recruiting WV and environs and then adding a few eastern Europeans and a couple of project kids is a formula to win the WVIAC c.1975.

Reactions: dangerousdaneerfan
We enter this basketball season like the previous 30 basketball seasons, with the same goal and the same realistic expectation. To be "pretty good". The team will win 20 games or so, beating the bottom of CUSA, and the one bid league cupcakes in the pre-conference schedule, losing to the better pre-conference teams and the better CUSA teams. Hit the tournament, win a game or two. Everybody will be arguing about whether we should pay to play or not in the CIT or whatever. Lather, rinse, repeat. Same as the last 30 years.

Fact is that recruiting WV and environs and then adding a few eastern Europeans and a couple of project kids is a formula to win the WVIAC c.1975.
You certainly are entitled to your opinions. For me and many others, we are enjoying the ride. It is exciting basketball and I love it.

Everyone knows this. But we need two good big men. Penava is ok but way to small to bang inside. Not having Iran Bennett is going to hurt. I'm hoping a couple of our newcomers step up their game.

Don't count out RS FR....Jannson Williams [6-9; 205]...he has great basketball IQ....hustles on both ends of the court...he will be a "difference maker." Ajdin Penava will surprised a lot of you this year. He is stronger and his quickness will grab a few rebounds. Senior, Milan Mijovic needs to step up and produce. Freshman, Jarrod West will provide some offensive power for Marshall. C.J. Burks will have a great season, he plays with a chip on his shoulder and his game is "nasty good."

Marshall----preseason rank in CUSA @ 7...will surprise a lot of opponents. Teams that can run with Marshall will be our biggest tests---those that play sets & work the clock--- will get their tails run out of the gym.

I predict 20 + Wins.....Marshall will be in the hunt...for sure.

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

Failing to reach 20 wins in 23 of the last 30 years does not support your claim here.

Front line strength concerns me, particularly on defense. Penava and Williams neither one are "power" players, still not that strong with little bulk. Result: prone to get out muscled on rebounds, establishing inside position, etc., often resulting in foul trouble. At least 3 CUSA teams right off the top have strong and talented inside players: WKU, with Johnson, UAB with Lee, and the twin towers out in El Paso.

Would have been nice to have had Iran available this year with all of our perimeter talent/firepower. Only true inside power player we have is Milan. And in 9 out of 9 baseline to baseline races between Milan and a tortoise, the tortoise has won every time!!

Reactions: thundermax
Just looking at our schedule, in about 2 weeks we'll see how good the team is with Morehead State, it's a toss-up game against a notable program. Then 3 days later its at Illinois, which, no matter how bad, is a Big 10 program so they'll be tough and a big challenge for us.
Other OOC games, I think we'll win most of the MAC ones with Ohio being our toughest one since, well, it's Ohio.
Xavier is likely gonna win...keep it close and a respectable loss if anything, then move forward and root like hell for Xavier to remain good for a "good loss."
Conference-wise, I think for the most part, we'll be favored in most of our games. MTSU is getting votes so they're for sure, going to be the top team to beat. I bet we'll split with them. UTEP, UAB, and ODU are also going to be tough for us which I think we'll sweep one of those teams and split with the others.
Of course, this is waaaaay in advanced but I'll go with 20+ wins.

Just looking at our schedule, in about 2 weeks we'll see how good the team is with Morehead State, it's a toss-up game against a notable program. Then 3 days later its at Illinois, which, no matter how bad, is a Big 10 program so they'll be tough and a big challenge for us.
Other OOC games, I think we'll win most of the MAC ones with Ohio being our toughest one since, well, it's Ohio.
Xavier is likely gonna win...keep it close and a respectable loss if anything, then move forward and root like hell for Xavier to remain good for a "good loss."
Conference-wise, I think for the most part, we'll be favored in most of our games. MTSU is getting votes so they're for sure, going to be the top team to beat. I bet we'll split with them. UTEP, UAB, and ODU are also going to be tough for us which I think we'll sweep one of those teams and split with the others.
Of course, this is waaaaay in advanced but I'll go with 20+ wins.

OOC games, I believe you're right about most of them. Ohio U. game in the Cam should give us an edge and they lost one of their veteran interior big scorers from last season. Toledo won't be easy there. They scored a lot of points on us last year at the Cam and their home court, Savage Hall, I believe, is sort of dingy and not that easy a place to play. If we could come out of the pre season, non-conference games with about 10 wins, it would bode well for the entire season, IMO

Penova and Milan will not get it done especially Milan. Penova has some talent but not the size needed to bang inside. Milan is just a body taking up a seat on the bench. On a good team he would not see the floor!

OOC games, I believe you're right about most of them. Ohio U. game in the Cam should give us an edge and they lost one of their veteran interior big scorers from last season. Toledo won't be easy there. They scored a lot of points on us last year at the Cam and their home court, Savage Hall, I believe, is sort of dingy and not that easy a place to play. If we could come out of the pre season, non-conference games with about 10 wins, it would bode well for the entire season, IMO
If you believe Toledo’s Savage Arena is dingy, then you must think the Cam Henderson Center is an absolute dumpster. Have you ever been to Toledo for basketball?

Not near as good as last year. It being his 4th season as coach and having no better team than last years team is disappointing for sure.

If you believe Toledo’s Savage Arena is dingy, then you must think the Cam Henderson Center is an absolute dumpster. Have you ever been to Toledo for basketball?

Maybe its been upgraded or refurbished recently.

Savage Hall nicer arena that the Cam. Kind of like the Joan - Hamrick putting no effort in really refurbishing both I.e., need new restrooms, painting all around, ceiling in Cam in terrible shape (paint peeling and falling in upper levels). The two largest complexes on campus need a lot of work. Visitors not really impressed when they come to the Cam especially.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT