ADVERTISEMENT

And so the politics start:

Marine03

Platinum Buffalo
Sep 29, 2012
Connecticut
So my son (8) started out with the 7-8 year old little league team and quickly gets moved up to the 9-11 year old league in baseball at the beginning of the season, (one game into the season.) This is not bravodo but he’s easily the 3rd best player on his 9-11 year old team. So now it’s time for All Star Selections (his team gets 5 selections due to their league placement record) and his coach tells me “since Gunnar is only 8 and should be in the other league I’m going to rule him ineligible for the 9-11 year old All Star Team.” Never mind the fact he’s won 2 games with a walk off double, and a walk off single to help this stupid prick to secure the 2 seed in the playoffs. I’ve kept the books and he leads the team in Stolen bases and RBI. The real reason for him doing this is he’s better than his son, and his assistants son who are both 10 year olds and one of them are going to be left out. And did I mention players are selected by their teammates and not the coaches? So he has literally no control over selections because players do it, (which is deplorable to begin with) Now, I haven’t responded back yet as he e mailed me and didn’t do it in person. So I’m thinking I’ll either
A. Tell him how much I disagree and let it play out.
B. Tell him we are done and good luck without him in the playoffs
C. Call the League President and let him handle it from there. He’s also his Travel Teams coach so he carries a ton of clout with him.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
little league and politics?!?! No way next you’re going to tell me water is wet.
If the kids select your son and it’s know but the coaches don’t allow it then you’d have a case to take to the league president

little league and politics?!?! No way next you’re going to tell me water is wet.
If the kids select your son and it’s know but the coaches don’t allow it then you’d have a case to take to the league president

They can’t select him if he rules him ineligible because they do it by ballot which he won’t be on

And did I mention players are selected by their teammates and not the coaches? So he has literally no control over selections because players do it, (which is deplorable to begin with)

They can’t select him if he rules him ineligible because they do it by ballot which he won’t be on
then you should have explained that to begin with. If your kid is as good as you say he is AND the other kids think he deserves it start a write in campaign

you gotta stand up for your son. take it to the max - let them know you know your son is being short changed.
go to anyone who will listen. scream bloody murder.

holy shit, color me shocked the marine's one of those parents. yes, yes, everybody's little johnny is a future star and should be playing on the 11 year old all star team when they're only 8. give me a fvcking break.

i set on my hands for years and kept my trap shut and let the coaches play kids in front of my kid because that's what parents need to do. let the coaches at the lower levels do the job they're not even paid to do. i always figured it'd all work itself out in the long run; he'd either get to play when talent actually mattered, or at some point he'd get fed up with the bullshit and not play the following year.

don't get me wrong, "politics", as you indicate, runs rampant in little league sports, specifically when you have daddies as coaches because nobody that's worth half a damn as a coach wants to deal with prick parents that bitch them out when little johnny doesn't get to play every single play or doesn't get moved up to the all star team that they probably shouldn't even be on in the first place.

my son is now on the varsity baseball and basketball teams as a sophomore. at some point you'll find that if the kid has the talent, it'll out weigh the "politics" and the coaches will actually be coaches that's doing it for the love of the game and teaching kids to play the game, and he will get his fair share of playing time.

assholes like you are why my kid sit the bench in lower leagues behind no talent kids who no longer even play the damn game because guess what . . . they got cut. my bench riding kid not only made the team, surprising the shit out of most people who has watched him sit the bench over the years, but now, he'll start on both.

So my son (8) started out with the 7-8 year old little league team and quickly gets moved up to the 9-11 year old league in baseball at the beginning of the season, (one game into the season.) This is not bravodo but he’s easily the 3rd best player on his 9-11 year old team. So now it’s time for All Star Selections (his team gets 5 selections due to their league placement record) and his coach tells me “since Gunnar is only 8 and should be in the other league I’m going to rule him ineligible for the 9-11 year old All Star Team.” Never mind the fact he’s won 2 games with a walk off double, and a walk off single to help this stupid prick to secure the 2 seed in the playoffs. I’ve kept the books and he leads the team in Stolen bases and RBI. The real reason for him doing this is he’s better than his son, and his assistants son who are both 10 year olds and one of them are going to be left out. And did I mention players are selected by their teammates and not the coaches? So he has literally no control over selections because players do it, (which is deplorable to begin with) Now, I haven’t responded back yet as he e mailed me and didn’t do it in person. So I’m thinking I’ll either
A. Tell him how much I disagree and let it play out.
B. Tell him we are done and good luck without him in the playoffs
C. Call the League President and let him handle it from there. He’s also his Travel Teams coach so he carries a ton of clout with him.

Thoughts?
Stick with wrestling where it is settled on the mat.

I say that as a guy who played baseball growing up. Baseball is probably the most political sport there is. Or do what modern baseball parents do. Go start a travel team. ;)

I say move on and don't worry about it. Cream will rise to the top eventually. He is only 8. Move on.

B is a terrible choice. Be loyal to the team and players. Finish what you started.

Appears you are the one making it "political".

Sounds like a good lesson for your son:
"You're 8 years old. The all star team is for 9-11 year old players. Yes, you are good enough to play, but they are selecting 9-11 year old players. Disappointed? Sure. That's ok, it happens. Get over it. Move on. Keep playing your best. You will be 9 next year."

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Appears you are the one making it "political".

Sounds like a good lesson for your son:
"You're 8 years old. The all star team is for 9-11 year old players. Yes, you are good enough to play, but they are selecting 9-11 year old players. Disappointed? Sure. That's ok, it happens. Get over it. Move on. Keep playing your best. You will be 9 next year."
Excellent post. More than likely, the 8 year old son is okay with it. It's the dad making a jackenape ass out of himself. Hope his son doesn't read this forum.

I would go with "A," but only after you've had a chance to calm down, and don't be confrontational.

He’s an 8 year old who was asked to play by said coach on the 9-11 year old team. My issue is not if he’s going to be selected or not. My issue is with the coach who asked my son to play on his team when he didn’t have to, who helped him win games and is now being told by the same coach he’s not going to be given the same opportunity the other players are afforded. I don’t care if he makes the team or not, I think he should based off talent level. But how do you tell a kid who’s worked as hard as he has you aren’t even eligible to play because the same coach who played you 13 games said you’re not?

But how do you tell a kid who’s worked as hard as he has you aren’t even eligible to play because the same coach who played you 13 games said you’re not?

You tell him life isn't always fair, play even harder next season, and if the prick coach's son is ever on the other team and plays 2nd base tell him to slide in with your spikes up.

Reactions: Marine03
then you should have explained that to begin with. If your kid is as good as you say he is AND the other kids think he deserves it start a write in campaign

He didn't need to say that, moron. If the coach rules him ineligible, regardless if the players have had the chance to vote or not, then the end result would still be the same - the coach ruling him ineligible.

If the coach and/or league claims he is ineligible for the 9-11 year old all star team because he is 8, then that would make him eligible for the 8 year old all star team (assuming they have one), right? If so, even though he is more advanced than kids at that age, at least playing with and against all stars will give him some level of better competition as opposed to playing against the regular season of 8 year olds.

Sure, the players couldn't vote him in at the 8 year old level since he doesn't play on those teams, but an exception needs to be made if they rule him ineligible for the 9-11 year olds. It would mean their rules have made him ineligible for all levels of all star teams which is wrong.

I would get everything in writing with the coach. Respond back, politely, telling him you disagree and why. Explain that if the players vote, he won't even be eligible for the 8 year old all star team which isn't fair. Of course, add in the fact that the coach explicitly asked him to play on his team (moving up a different age bracket), was successful enough to merit an all star opportunity (at least be on the bracket where the other kids can vote), and shouldn't be disqualified due to the coach's request that he join his team for the regular season.

It's easy to say now, but I won't give a shit about sports when my children are at that age (in terms of the politics, etc.). What I won't be able to do is listen the the fvcking parents yelling shit at players on their own team, the officials, etc.

I run at a huge soccer complex. On weekends, they have dozens of teams utilizing the 15+ fields for tournaments. I routinely see teams from Mexico and surrounding states there. I actually enjoy watching the high school aged kids play after my workout because they're talented. But I can't stand the annoying fvcking parents. I don't even have skin in the game, and I want to tell them to shut the fvck up. One coach was brutal a couple of weekends ago. From across the field, he kept yelling at one kid in particular that "you're killing us! You're losing the game for us because you won't listen to me! If we lose, it is entirely your fault."

“Shit happens son. Work harder than you did this year. Be an even better player next year. Other opportunities will happen.”

"Shit happens son. Life is unfair. Instead of doing something about it and making things right and fair, just keep working harder and hopefully something will work out." - Signed, a Loser Mentality

Reactions: Marine03
If the coach and/or league claims he is ineligible for the 9-11 year old all star team because he is 8, then that would make him eligible for the 8 year old all star team (assuming they have one), right? If so, even though he is more advanced than kids at that age, at least playing with and against all stars will give him some level of better competition as opposed to playing against the regular season of 8 year olds.

Sure, the players couldn't vote him in at the 8 year old level since he doesn't play on those teams, but an exception needs to be made if they rule him ineligible for the 9-11 year olds. It would mean their rules have made him ineligible for all levels of all star teams which is wrong.

I would get everything in writing with the coach. Respond back, politely, telling him you disagree and why. Explain that if the players vote, he won't even be eligible for the 8 year old all star team which isn't fair. Of course, add in the fact that the coach explicitly asked him to play on his team (moving up a different age bracket), was successful enough to merit an all star opportunity (at least be on the bracket where the other kids can vote), and shouldn't be disqualified due to the coach's request that he join his team for the regular season.

I’m not sure if he’s be eligible for the 8 year old team because we gave that team up when he moved up and joined the travel team. But that’s a good thought to look into.

“Shit happens son. Work harder than you did this year. Be an even better player next year. Other opportunities will happen.”

This isn’t a “work harder” dilemma. This is more of a” you’re getting screwed son and I’m not going to allow it dad moment.” It’s ashame you can’t see the difference here. If it were a hey son you’re not good enough deal it’d be a much easier fix. That I can live with, this I won’t.

I learned a lesson long ago in baseball to let my kids play their age group not up for this one reason. I wanted them to make all star every season and let them dominate at their age. Other sports were a different story. Baseball is the most political of all the sports.

I learned a lesson long ago in baseball to let my kids play their age group not up for this one reason. I wanted them to make all star every season and let them dominate at their age. Other sports were a different story. Baseball is the most political of all the sports.

He was bored to death in the 7-8 year old league, he’s enjoyed the game much more in the older league and quite honestly has been one of the top players in the older age group. And it’s not the an all star team stuff that bothers me, it’s the coaches backdoor politics that get under my skin.

"Shit happens son. Life is unfair. Instead of doing something about it and making things right and fair, just keep working harder and hopefully something will work out." - Signed, a Loser Mentality

Translation:
"Working harder and being even better is a loser mentality son. Let daddy try and fix it for you by crying to a little league president about "fairness", or lets take our ball and go home." Signed, a "marine".

Having coached multiple sports in little league over the years, dads that acted like asses at before, during, or after games were frowned upon as being an ass. It didn't impact my game plan or strategy. I continued to coach as I saw fit. In fact, it was typically the mothers who would make the biggest scenes, so perhaps the Marine is wearing the skirt in this Connecticut family.

At the end of the day, little league is simply a game amongst kids, but some loud mouth parents choose to ruin it for all.

Good Lord, people. There's a big difference between being an overbearing sports dad and wanting your kid to have the same opportunities that everyone else on his team/in his league has. I think part of the disconnect is Marine's initial post lists some options that he obviously wrote i the heat of the moment. I feel pretty sure he was venting and wasn't actually contemplating pulling his kid.

Reactions: HerdFan73
No, dad will ensure you get a fair shake, it’s calked good parenting idiot

“Good parenting” would understand the advice of telling your kid to “continue to work harder” isn’t suggesting they didn’t work hard enough. It’s essentially instructing your child to focus on what they have the ability to control....their effort and work. Don’t get caught up in what others are saying or doing “to you”. Do the work, get better, opportunities will be abundant. (Only a real moron wouldn’t understand this concept).

Good Lord, people. There's a big difference between being an overbearing sports dad and wanting your kid to have the same opportunities that everyone else on his team/in his league has. I think part of the disconnect is Marine's initial post lists some options that he obviously wrote i the heat of the moment. I feel pretty sure he was venting and wasn't actually contemplating pulling his kid.

I disagree. I think it’s clear he was actually considering it. Shouldn’t we always take Marine03 at his word??
His kid is an All-Star by God!!

I disagree. I think it’s clear he was actually considering it. Shouldn’t we always take Marine03 at his word??
His kid is an All-Star by God!!

Again your inability to simply read black and white escapes you. I’ve said numerous times it’s not the selection I have a problem with, it’s the backdoor politics the coach is deploying that irritates me. I get it though, you were a lunch money victim always picked last at everything so this whole concept is hard for you to comprehend

Another “good parenting” option:

Let the player call the coach and make his case for being eligible.

Again your inability to simply read black and white escapes you. I’ve said numerous times it’s not the selection I have a problem with, it’s the backdoor politics the coach is deploying that irritates me. I get it though, you were a lunch money victim always picked last at everything so this whole concept is hard for you to comprehend

“Black and white” is an 8 year old not being eligible for a 9 year old all star team. Pretty simple concept.

Quit. Take your ball and go home.

“Black and white” is an 8 year old not being eligible for a 9 year old all star team. Pretty simple concept.

Quit. Take your ball and go home.

What’s black and white about it? Played the same amount of games and practices as everyone else did. The rules don’t say by age they say by league

How does your team automatically get 5 placements? I don't get that part. If your team alone gets 5 placements how many kids are on the all start team? Is that 5 names the other coaches vote on?

You said he leads in stolen bases and RBI's. What is OBP and batting average? What position does he play and what is his arm like? How is his fielding? Can he play multiple positions?

holy shit, color me shocked the marine's one of those parents. yes, yes, everybody's little johnny is a future star and should be playing on the 11 year old all star team when they're only 8. give me a fvcking break.

i set on my hands for years and kept my trap shut and let the coaches play kids in front of my kid because that's what parents need to do. let the coaches at the lower levels do the job they're not even paid to do. i always figured it'd all work itself out in the long run; he'd either get to play when talent actually mattered, or at some point he'd get fed up with the bullshit and not play the following year.

don't get me wrong, "politics", as you indicate, runs rampant in little league sports, specifically when you have daddies as coaches because nobody that's worth half a damn as a coach wants to deal with prick parents that bitch them out when little johnny doesn't get to play every single play or doesn't get moved up to the all star team that they probably shouldn't even be on in the first place.

my son is now on the varsity baseball and basketball teams as a sophomore. at some point you'll find that if the kid has the talent, it'll out weigh the "politics" and the coaches will actually be coaches that's doing it for the love of the game and teaching kids to play the game, and he will get his fair share of playing time.

assholes like you are why my kid sit the bench in lower leagues behind no talent kids who no longer even play the damn game because guess what . . . they got cut. my bench riding kid not only made the team, surprising the shit out of most people who has watched him sit the bench over the years, but now, he'll start on both.

You’re an asshole, no offense.

Just saying.

Teaching a child the importance of patience is pretty important. The league afforded him a great opportunity by letting him play with the older kids this season. That will be extremely beneficial for him as he continues playing. Due to the experience, and the talent you say he has, he'll likely be the best 9 year old in the league next year, maybe one of the best players in the league. He will be an all star then.

If you don't like the politics maybe you should volunteer to be an assistant coach next season. If you haven't experienced that yet you really should.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT