ADVERTISEMENT

And We Thought We Were Hot Stuff

muthed

Silver Buffalo
Aug 25, 2018
Back in the day in 1AA. North Dakota State just won their 8th title in the last 9 years under 3 different coaches. Remarkable!!

Back in the day in 1AA. North Dakota State just won their 8th title in the last 9 years under 3 different coaches. Remarkable!!
I agree that is an awesome accomplishment. However, they did not have to beat Boise, Marshall or Appy to name a few like that who have moved up. Still a great program at that level.

Reactions: johns1124
muthed said:

I agree that is an awesome accomplishment. However, they did not have to beat Boise, Marshall or Appy to name a few like that who have moved up. Still a great program at that level.
[/quote]
They won 5 D2 National Championships from like 83-90 I saw. Pretty impressive program at every level they have been.

NDSU may not have had to beat Marshall, Boise, or Appy State but they still have to beat some good programs. And they've continually done it over the last decade. Since moving up to the FCS level, their record is 181-35, a conference champ (or co-champ) 9 straight seasons, and 8 National Championships.

Also, over the past few seasons, I haven't seen a better FCS level team than NDSU.

Besides, Boise isn't a good comparison when talking FCS level football. During their time at that level, they only made the playoffs 5 times in 18 seasons (1980, 1981, 1988, 1990, and 1994), with one title in 1980. They didn't dominate the level like NDSU.

Last edited:
A lot of teams have moved up, but a lot of teams have improved and filled that void. ND has a lot of P5 wins, so I don't doubt their level.

Why does their accomplishments diminish ours? Had we stayed in FCS we probably have the same success they had. However right as we were playing full tilt we moved up and had an amazing run with a top10 season.

Why does their accomplishments diminish ours? Had we stayed in FCS we probably have the same success they had. However right as we were playing full tilt we moved up and had an amazing run with a top10 season.
Wasn't saying that it diminished our success. Only that they have had remarkable success.

stfu dick2dick

giphy.gif

Reactions: ARandomHerdFan
Question is, would you be happier as a fan right now given where we currently are or coming off yet another FCS National Championship?

Another FCS Championship. Or at least making the championship game. It's hard to beat playing games in December that mean something.

No, but I will explain that during the MU era in I-AA, WE LOST MONEY. There was no money in it. TV was different (the championship was on, against Army-Navy, because the March Madness contract required it). The NCAA did not care. MU was darn near running the entire division out of our AD’s office.

WE LOST MONEY.

Then things changed. TV, and internet, exploded. The NCAA, flush with a new March Madness contract, tossed enough money in minor championships to at least let teams break even. Etc.

Now, if any of you can point to you, or anyone, predicting any of that, AT THE TIME, then you can debate the matter. If you cannot, you have nothing to say.

Fact is MU had the balls to move up to I-A. Lots of schools with similar enrollments, similar booster club sizes, similar roles (or better in NDSU’s case) within their states, similar $$, DID NOT. Same can be said for having the balls to move up from the lowly MAC. We did, because we do, and they didn’t because they don’t.

No, but I will explain that during the MU era in I-AA, WE LOST MONEY. There was no money in it. TV was different (the championship was on, against Army-Navy, because the March Madness contract required it). The NCAA did not care. MU was darn near running the entire division out of our AD’s office.

WE LOST MONEY.

Then things changed. TV, and internet, exploded. The NCAA, flush with a new March Madness contract, tossed enough money in minor championships to at least let teams break even. Etc.

Now, if any of you can point to you, or anyone, predicting any of that, AT THE TIME, then you can debate the matter. If you cannot, you have nothing to say.

Fact is MU had the balls to move up to I-A. Lots of schools with similar enrollments, similar booster club sizes, similar roles (or better in NDSU’s case) within their states, similar $$, DID NOT. Same can be said for having the balls to move up from the lowly MAC. We did, because we do, and they didn’t because they don’t.
Do we need to move back down now?

Reactions: mubaseballking

WE LOST MONEY.

Your memory is a little off, in regards to dates. For example, in 1995 the Army-Navy game was played on December 2nd. The I-AA championship was played on December 16th. For the 1996 season, Army played Navy on December 7th. The Marshall-Montana championship game was played on December 21st.

So going up against another game, for a share of tv viewers, isn't true.

Sam actually shuts down everybody’s argument with the statement right here

If you truly believe this...

Then you're just as much of a nutjob as he is.

Nobody has a problem playing Western Kentucky. We are tired of not being able to BEAT teams like Western Kentucky, especially when it really matters in terms of conference play. Hell we can't even beat Charlotte, moron.

Reactions: Elkview
If you truly believe this...

Then you're just as much of a nutjob as he is.

Nobody has a problem playing Western Kentucky. We are tired of not being able to BEAT teams like Western Kentucky, especially when it really matters in terms of conference play. Hell we can't even beat Charlotte, moron.

No.

we can’t use the argument that the Joan isn’t full on game day because of the opponent in conference, and also have fans claim that IAA or a split IA playoff would be better or exciting.

doesn’t make sense, to the point CNN couldn’t even spin it

I watch the Herd no matter who the opponent is, but I know the average fan is like “who the fack is that” when they ask me who we are playing on most Saturdays

with that being said, Saturday matchups with Furman and the Citadel would leave me not giving a damn about Saturday’s if the school were to fold up and tuck tail

No.

we can’t use the argument that the Joan isn’t full on game day because of the opponent in conference, and also have fans claim that IAA or a split IA playoff would be better or exciting.

Correct.

The doom and gloom minority, many of which I suspect were not even around for the I-AA or even the MAC times, have this false nostalgia turned inward and rotten. In the 90s. true MU fans cheered for MU, whoever we played. No one said “It’s just Furman” or “It's just Toledo” except for the petty jealous non-alumni Spamites. Today, the anti-Doc minority is just too good to seem MU “just” play our CUSA brothers.

It is sad, really.

No.

doesn’t make sense, to the point CNN couldn’t even spin it

But that isn't the argument. The question is that if Marshall football has become so stale that people won't go to the games against our awful conference schedule, then should we simply drop down a level, keep the same amount of loyal Herd fans that go to the games against unattractive opponents we play now, save a ton of money by not having to keep up with FBS programs, and be a hell of a lot more competitive nationally.

If we can't fill the Joan now against unsexy opponents, why not fail at filling the Joan against other unsexy opponents while saving money and becoming competitive nationally? The same loyal base of fans that are the only ones to watch us lose to Charlotte and Old Dominion will still show up to watch us lose to New Hampshire.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT