Grammar Snob
Staff
Feb 14, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
marshall.rivals.com
https://cusareport.com/2020/05/25/cusa-is-hanging-on-by-a-thread/

Decent read.

Writer suggests a Sun Belt/CUSA merge that would end up looking like this

The new Big-8 (for football): (Going from N-S, W-E) UNT, UTA (no FB) Texas State, UTSA, UTEP, Rice, LT, ULM, ULL.

South Central league of eight (for football): (Going from N-S, W-E) Ark St, UALR (no FB), WKU, MTSU, UAB, Troy, USM, GSt, GSU.

New Big Coast Conference: Marshall, Liberty, ODU, Charlotte, App State, Coastal Carolina, FAU, FIU.

I don't love that split. I'd much rather have JMU than Liberty. Football would be decent assuming App State remains good, but basketball would be pretty brutal. Subbing FAU and FIU for MTSU and WKU would help.

Reactions: ThunderDrunk304

Decent read.

The new Big-8 (for football): (Going from N-S, W-E) UNT, UTA (no FB) Texas State, UTSA, UTEP, Rice, LT, ULM, ULL.

South Central league of eight (for football): (Going from N-S, W-E) Ark St, UALR (no FB), WKU, MTSU, UAB, Troy, USM, GSt, GSU.

New Big Coast Conference: Marshall, Liberty, ODU, Charlotte, App State, Coastal Carolina, FAU, FIU.

I don't love that split. I'd much rather have JMU than Liberty. Football would be decent assuming App State remains good, but basketball would be pretty brutal. Subbing FAU and FIU for MTSU and WKU would help.
Yes, we would be in a terrible basketball conference.

Reactions: Elkview

Decent read.

I can foresee Liberty buying their way into a conference now that money is scarce.

Last edited:
Reactions: HerditAllBefore
I would rather just be independent, and schedule r on games . And play more competitively. This is Terrible football
and struggle mightily for schedules and lose bowl and NCAA basketball tournament tie ins as well as all other sports getting very little chance to get into post season play. No money from other conference mates basketball NCAA shares and football bowl shares

Last edited:

Decent read.

Ive read about 5 different ways this possible Frankenstein of two leagues into something more regional can work... This is BY FAR the worst proposal I have seen.

Going to 3 separate 8-team conferences is absolutely idiotic...

First, its a scheduling nightmare, and a 7-game football league slate? Dumb.
Second, three 8-team separate leagues = No championship game.
Third, none of the three proposed new conferences would get any TV money. Eight teams in small markets lowers everyones bargaining position.
Fourth, if a school doesn't have football, or wants to be football only, no thanks. Period.
Lastly, the New Big Coast Conference would be the worst basketball (the only other sport anyone cares about) league in America.

I'm all for coming up with something new, more regional, less expensive, etc. But this ain't it.

Ive read about 5 different ways this possible Frankenstein of two leagues into something more regional can work... This is BY FAR the worst proposal I have seen.

Going to 3 separate 8-team conferences is absolutely idiotic...

First, its a scheduling nightmare, and a 7-game football league slate? Dumb.
Second, three 8-team separate leagues = No championship game.
Third, none of the three proposed new conferences would get any TV money. Eight teams in small markets lowers everyones bargaining position.
Fourth, if a school doesn't have football, or wants to be football only, no thanks. Period.
Lastly, the New Big Coast Conference would be the worst basketball (the only other sport anyone cares about) league in America.

I'm all for coming up with something new, more regional, less expensive, etc. But this ain't it.
Agree it isn't great (or anywhere close to being good).

I don't hate the premise, though.

If we subbed out WKU and MTSU for FAU and FIU; grabbed JMU; and went after one more to make an even 10 - we might have something. Not sure who that 10th team could be but they'd have to be somewhat regional. UMASS, UCONN and Army don't fit from a geographic standpoint and there's no way UCONN would bring basketball (doubt UMASS would, either).

the best solution by far would be to somehow get C-USA and the Sunbelt to swap out schools by region.Not sure that will happen but you never know

Liberty would likely dominate all the major sports with that group of eight teams.
Whatever conference takes them immediately gets cancer. They'll be UCF-like with their approach to things, meanwhile Falwell Jr. will be out there saying cringe-inducing things on national television, while he secretly pines for his pool boy.

Whatever conference takes them immediately gets cancer. They'll be UCF-like with their approach to things, meanwhile Falwell Jr. will be out there saying cringe-inducing things on national television, while he secretly pines for his pool boy.
What's the difference between between Liberty and Notre Dame?

Sounds like a joke. Maybe the Notre Dame fan will drink beer in public.

Anyway, seriously? I am not defending Liberty(not really my cup of tea for a school) but, Bringham Young is basically a cult school and Notre Dame might not have pool boys but they probably like choir boys.

Might be good to have a rival like Liberty. Look here come the virgin cheerleaders(not really but they think so). Or remember when we beat Liberty like Falwell beat Tinky Winky?

Makes no difference to me. I would probably hate Toledo or Miami Ohio more than Liberty.

Once again. James Madison University chooses to cower in I-AA. Really that simple. All of these makers up of made up conferences toss in JMU. JMU probably could join I-A, and you could probably say the same about 20 more schools. None have applied.

As to Liberty, it is really pointless to try to argue with bigots, be they religious or whatever, but none of us has to agree with a school's religion to have an athletic relationship with in. Most private colleges have some relationship, albeit usually nominal unlike LU which still take it seriously, relationship with some church. So what? LU has 15000 real, and 95000 on line students, and markets it self towards the wealthy of those in its religious group. 10s of 10000s of RICH alumni, and, much like UND and BYU, lots of people who follow the school because they are co-religionists with it, despite having never darkened the door of any college.

As to basketball, this would be like the SoCon, MAC, and CUSA for MU. A ONE-BID LEAGUE. Nothing more, nothing less. Since getting hot in the conference tournament and who knows?, once every 8 to10 years seems acceptable to most (some accept far less) what is the difference?

Reactions: johns1124
Once again. James Madison University chooses to cower in I-AA. Really that simple. All of these makers up of made up conferences toss in JMU. JMU probably could join I-A, and you could probably say the same about 20 more schools. None have applied.

As to Liberty, it is really pointless to try to argue with bigots, be they religious or whatever, but none of us has to agree with a school's religion to have an athletic relationship with in. Most private colleges have some relationship, albeit usually nominal unlike LU which still take it seriously, relationship with some church. So what? LU has 15000 real, and 95000 on line students, and markets it self towards the wealthy of those in its religious group. 10s of 10000s of RICH alumni, and, much like UND and BYU, lots of people who follow the school because they are co-religionists with it, despite having never darkened the door of any college.

As to basketball, this would be like the SoCon, MAC, and CUSA for MU. A ONE-BID LEAGUE. Nothing more, nothing less. Since getting hot in the conference tournament and who knows?, once every 8 to10 years seems acceptable to most (some accept far less) what is the difference?
Sam. 2 points about your post.
1)...people who follow a school, despite having never darkened the door of any college. You must be referring to WVU's walmartian fans.
2) ...getting hot...once every 8 to 10 years seems acceptable. You do realize that statement is our football program in a nutshell, don't you?

Wow.... do you realize we sound like people attending a visitation? Marshall sure was something back in the day, before the mafia took over Mexico..this purgatory we are currently in seems very surreal. There are no current sports items, no comments from the AD. I can’t help feeling that nothing bueno for The Herd can come from this! Hope is a slippery thing to grab as you are teetering on the edge....

If we get stuck in oblivion and no MAC schools move around:

Appalachian State
Arkansas State
FAU
Georgia Southern
La Tech
Marshall
Middle Tennessee
Old Dominion (or JMU)
Southern Miss
Troy
UAB
WKU

Reactions: HerditAllBefore
Wow.... do you realize we sound like people attending a visitation? Marshall sure was something back in the day, before the mafia took over Mexico..this purgatory we are currently in seems very surreal. There are no current sports items, no comments from the AD. I can’t help feeling that nothing bueno for The Herd can come from this! Hope is a slippery thing to grab as you are teetering on the edge....

It doesn't matter what the AD says, the board will shit on it first chance they get.
Even if it is something good, the board will take a week or two to bitch about it.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Sam. 2 points about your post.
1)...people who follow a school, despite having never darkened the door of any college. You must be referring to WVU's walmartian fans.
2) ...getting hot...once every 8 to 10 years seems acceptable. You do realize that statement is our football program in a nutshell, don't you?
I nor anyone in my family have ever set foot in a Marshall classroom. In fact i graduated from Barry University in Miami Shores, FL. I have been a member for the Marshall Alumni Assn for over 30 years and a Big Green member nearly as long. I have never contributed one penny to Barry. In fact my education there was mostly paid for by employer, Texaco.

We need a true regional league with minimal plane travel. This just doesn't affect football but all our teams/program. Schools in LA, AR and FL are too far. Gotta be more geographically concentrated. I think it can be done. If not, go back to the MAC. Once Akron drops down they'll need a new member. CUSA needs to dissolve, as does the SB and start fresh.

We need a true regional league with minimal plane travel. This just doesn't affect football but all our teams/program. Schools in LA, AR and FL are too far. Gotta be more geographically concentrated. I think it can be done. If not, go back to the MAC. Once Akron drops down they'll need a new member. CUSA needs to dissolve, as does the SB and start fresh.

In my scenario, we would play App St, MTSU, WKU, Ga Southern, ODU, and permanent cross over game with Southern Miss.

2 crossovers a year one home and one away wouldn’t be stretching the travel budget with those teams. Plus every game would be a tough one for everybody, and most of these schools have solid attendance similar to or better than us.

In my scenario, we would play App St, MTSU, WKU, Ga Southern, ODU, and permanent cross over game with Southern Miss.

2 crossovers a year one home and one away wouldn’t be stretching the travel budget with those teams. Plus every game would be a tough one for everybody, and most of these schools have solid attendance similar to or better than us.

That is true and good thought. My point was, we have to consider all sports as well. A plane flight for one would be a plane flight for all teams. Unless, we just didn't play the other division teams in minor sports. I am hoping we can start fresh. Frankly, any new league would be a fresh change and bring new energy to the program. jmo

As to Liberty, it is really pointless to try to argue with bigots, be they religious or whatever, but none of us has to agree with a school's religion to have an athletic relationship with in.

It has nothing to do with their religious affiliation, and more to do with the Falwells being lightning rods for controversy (AKA: engineered publicity). People wince when Gordon Gee says something indelicate, but his stuff is usually just condescending, or insulting to a particular, narrow constituency (i.e. Boise State football fans). The Falwells tend to take it to another level, speaking out on hot button political topics certain to fire up their donor base (the goal) and offend a sizeable chunk of the US population (what that donor base is paying them to do). No conference wants that.

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
Gordon Gee is a known religious bigot, fired by Ohio State for anti-Catholic statements. He also said "I have no concern for the health of people in West Virginia, my only concern is the health of the WVU Medical Corporation" when asked why the extra doctors MU and WVSOM would produce would be a bad thing during his first run at USPAM. He should be fired.

Anyway, the rest of your post can be summed up as "its not their religion" followed by a paragraph about their religion.

As to Liberty, it is really pointless to try to argue with bigots, be they religious or whatever, but none of us has to agree with a school's religion to have an athletic relationship with ?

Most people on here already know this, but you’re an idiot.

Having any sort of positive relationship with a bigot gives that bigotry credit and acceptance. For many years, the LDS church had a bigoted stance against blacks. Would it be alright to play a school that refused to allow blacks on their athletic teams if their religion supported that?

It has nothing to do with their religious affiliation, and more to do with the Falwells being lightning rods for controversy (AKA: engineered publicity). People wince when Gordon Gee says something indelicate, but his stuff is usually just condescending, or insulting to a particular, narrow constituency (i.e. Boise State football fans). The Falwells tend to take it to another level, speaking out on hot button political topics certain to fire up their donor base (the goal) and offend a sizeable chunk of the US population (what that donor base is paying them to do). No conference wants that.

Exactly.
Its one thing for a school to have a religious affiliation and its entirely another for said school's leadership to push opinions/religious agendas on everything going on around them.

Reactions: herdalicious

MU has had that...Charlotte and ODU are geographically closer...however, so far have contributed nothing to bolster the conference as a whole.
The MAC is basically on life support at this time...no way should MU go back.
Anyone saying they'd be excited about MU playing Western Michigan any more than if MU were playing Charlotte is fooling themselves.

MU has had that...Charlotte and ODU are geographically closer...however, so far have contributed nothing to bolster the conference as a whole.
The MAC is basically on life support at this time...no way should MU go back.
Anyone saying they'd be excited about MU playing Western Michigan any more than if MU were playing Charlotte is fooling themselves.

That’s two schools out of 14 member league. Lol!

Why do you say the MAC is on life support? They are likely more solid than CUSA. I don’t see any articles about the MAC dissolving and merging with another league like I have with CUSA and the Belt.
But, we need a regional league. To continue on as a part of CUSA in its present form will be suicide for the MU AD.

That’s two schools out of 14 member league. Lol!

Why do you say the MAC is on life support? They are likely more solid than CUSA. I don’t see any articles about the MAC dissolving and merging with another league like I have with CUSA and the Belt.
But, we need a regional league. To continue on as a part of CUSA in its present form will be suicide for the MU AD.

Oh right, the others...yeah such additioms these have been:
MTSU, Charlotte, WKU, ODU.

"They are likely more solid than CUSA"
Sounds a bit oxymoronic, don't you think?
No, maybe not dissolving...just dropping sports left and right and some articles discussing the real possibility that they'd do better going to FCS.

"Hey guys, we're not closing up shop, but we've locked the doors and aren't letting anyone else in right now."

Decent read.

Might as well drop sports with that lineup

Reactions: herdalicious
Oh right, the others...yeah such additioms these have been:
MTSU, Charlotte, WKU, ODU.

"They are likely more solid than CUSA"
Sounds a bit oxymoronic, don't you think?
No, maybe not dissolving...just dropping sports left and right and some articles discussing the real possibility that they'd do better going to FCS.

"Hey guys, we're not closing up shop, but we've locked the doors and aren't letting anyone else in right now."

WKU has more titles total in their short time in the league than most member schools do combined. We have what? 4-5 since 05? We are way too good for this league. Lol!
CUSA schools are dropping sports and making cuts, have you noticed? Marshall will as well. Maybe if we had more donors, that would help.

ADVERTISEMENT