ADVERTISEMENT

Another Tiger Woods Statistic

i am herdman

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Mar 5, 2006
Rory - 11 Missed Cuts in 88 starts
Tiger - 12 Missed Cuts in 304 starts

most consecutive tournaments played on the PGA Tour without missing a cut....142....Tiger Woods

While he may be struggling with some demons now, Tiger Woods statistically is the most dominant golfer in history. That stat is staggering. 142 straight tournaments without missing a cut.
This post was edited on 2/27 9:23 PM by i am herdman

Herdman's obsession with tiger is almost as bad as mako's was with Lance Armstrong. Mako would become infuriated and throw out a bunch of drug testing information when I would claim Armstrong was cheating. Just think how Herdman would be acting if tiger were fully white.

Originally posted by riflearm2:
Herdman's obsession with tiger is almost as bad as mako's was with Lance Armstrong. Mako would become infuriated and throw out a bunch of drug testing information when I would claim Armstrong was cheating. Just think how Herdman would be acting if tiger were fully white.
Put me in the same boat with Herdman. And Tiger's not white?

Originally posted by riflearm2:
Racist

The whole cycling world was probably cheating and Lance Armstrong had cancer and had a testicle removed.

He still won with one testicle and the French were whining like girls. Now who is the real winner? Lance Armstrong. He can say, I beat you with one nut!

Tiger's lost it & isn't the best ever. We get it, people want desperately to thump their chest & say they knew it from the time he showed up on Bob Hope's show that he was the best ever but it's just not true.

Originally posted by i am herdman:
Statistics and the actual numbers say otherwise.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
To what? That he's lost it or that he isn't the best ever. Cause I can provide numbers & statistics that prove both.

Lost it now had nothing to do with it. Wayne Gretzky and Joe Montana lost it. Ali lost it.

The body of work. All categories other than most professional majors. Every other category is not even close. Then factor in the competition level and the majors category goes away some.

Other than majors tell me why nicklaus was better. Other than being of our dad's generation I have never heard a valid argument. Tiger in his hay day beats nicklaus handily.

Originally posted by i am herdman:
Other than majors tell me why nicklaus was better. Other than being of our dad's generation I have never heard a valid argument. Tiger in his hay day beats nicklaus handily.
First off, everyone loses it, not just the greats. Once it occurs, then by all means measure their accomplishments in a respective timeline but don't try to justify them with an "if only" mentality that, without the milestones, doesn't measure up to another man's body of work. Hell, if a guy entered into two Majors, absolutely destroyed the field & then met an untimely demise, would it be fair to call him the greatest ever based on that truncated body of work?

Majors' victories are a pretty significant milestone to just cast by the wayside. Probably because to Tiger's fans it's the most damning. I've noted on here multiple times that not only was Jack dominant, he had a staggering amount of second place finishes to accompany his victories. This isn't like other sports where only two teams are competing against each other, nor is it Talladega Nights.

2nd place doesn't count. Unfortunately. The fields were not near as deep as now. Not even close.

Majors are important for sure. But that doesn't mean you are the best.

I like jack nicklaus. He is an American legend. I just think prime vs prime tiger was better. More dominant against deeper fields. Some.of tigers stats are staggering when you look at them. No one is close.

Jack also had long stretches without winning. It happens.

Tiger wins nearly at double the pace jack did. He wins nearly 25 percent of the time he plays. Jack was about 12 percent.

Majors go to jack in terms of numbers. Tiger was number 1 for 13 years. The number 300 golfer was closer to #2 Mickelson as Mickelson was to tiger.

As a golfer for 54 years, many of those years as a competing amateur, this is how I see it.

* Tiger Woods has played golf at a level that is unmatched, his record is MIND BLOWING.
* Jack is obviously the greatest major champion
* The average field for a tour event or major is stronger in the middle and lower end now then 40 years ago
* However, Nicklaus competed against more really great players that were capable of winning the top events and majors
* Both players have/had great mental toughness, their biggest advantage.
* Jack never strayed from the swing he was taught as a kid in Columbus, Tiger's swing has become painful to watch. I wish
he could/would recapture the move he was making about 15 years ago.
* IF Tiger has the chipping yips, he is done. Guys nearing 40 don't recover from that problem.
* I fear Woods is done as a consistent major contender. He may win another and feel sure he will win again on tour but the
mystique is gone and the new wave of tour players have no fear of seeing his name on the leaderboard.
* Really hope he wins more because the game needs Tiger to finish his career strong.

I don't think majors are overrated but I do think people put too much of an emphasis on them in determining who is the best. There are many events who are loaded with top talent like all of the WGC events. Some of these events aren't majors, but their fields are equal, if not stronger than some majors.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT