ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody ever run Marine 2 Stroke Oil in Their Weed Eater, Blower, or Chainsaw?

i am herdman

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Mar 5, 2006
They say not to do it, but I have heard of people doing it. I've got a big bottle of Marine 2 stroke oil sitting around. Something about the Marine 2 stroke oil is made for water cooled engines that don't run as hot as a air cooled 2 stroke. They say it can scar the piston. but, some people say they do it. I don't want to screw up my Stihl blower or my Echo chainsaw.

They also say oil goes bad after 3 to 5 years. I have some bottles of 5w-30 , 10w-30, etc sitting around. I may need to properly dispose of it.

I just use the pre-mixes gas. Yeah it's a little costly, but the benefit of not putting ethanol in that gun stuff up is worth it. Stihl even gives you a longer warranty if you use the pre-mix fuel.

Find a dealer that sells ethanol free gas and use Stihl synthetic oil. You still get the double warranty, is cheaper and you can also get fuel for your mower, etc. without ethanol at the same time.

I just use the pre-mixes gas. Yeah it's a little costly, but the benefit of not putting ethanol in that gun stuff up is worth it. Stihl even gives you a longer warranty if you use the pre-mix fuel.
I buy gallon cans and mix it. 50 to 1.

I did buy me a battery leaf blower. My wife was tired of me carrying the big Stihl gas blower though the house and going out on the roof to blow it off. Hahaaaa

I buy gallon cans and mix it. 50 to 1.

I did buy me a battery leaf blower. My wife was tired of me carrying the big Stihl gas blower though the house and going out on the roof to blow it off. Hahaaaa
I bought a Worx string trimmer and they had a promo where you got a cordless leaf blower with it. Nice to dust off light stuff on the walks and decks, but you have to hurry. Thing runs out of power even on the low setting in about 15 minutes.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
Find a dealer that sells ethanol free gas and use Stihl synthetic oil. You still get the double warranty, is cheaper and you can also get fuel for your mower, etc. without ethanol at the same time.
Here's the weird thing: out here I have NEVER seen a sticker on a gas pump that notes what percentage, if any, of the "regular" gas is ethanol. I simply don't trust that the gas stations that people say are ethanol free really are. You know the sticker, "contains up to ten percent ethanol". Not requiring this makes me think shenanigans are more possible.

Now, if you want ethanol, oh boy do we have you covered! We have E15, E30, and E85! In fact, you cannot get premium here unless it is E30. Obviously I will not be buying a car that requires premium any time soon.

I am sure all this has to do with corn politics.

Anyway, I bought one big can of the pre-mix last summer and I am just now getting low. The grass and weeds here simply don't grow much once the dry summer heat starts.

I have an electric blower. It's corded. I can reach all of the yard with a 100 ft cord, we have several outdoor outlets around the house so I can reach all corners of the property. That thing blows hurricane-force winds. And I don't need a gas chainsaw here. I have a battery-operated one that does fine if I lose a limb in a storm; if we ever lose our big oak tree, it's going to take a lot more than me with a chainsaw to clean it up, it will take professionals and heavy machinery.

I bought a Worx string trimmer
They can take my Stihl when they pry it from my cold, dead hands.

Charlton Heston Gun GIF

You guys ever use the starter fluid on the tire rim check?

Helped a guy do one off of a concrete truck one time. He just about got the mixture wrong. She blew up a foot or so off the ground. couldn't hear shit for a bit. He looked at me and said that got it. Damn tire came off the ground. I should have known when he told me to stand back.

I bought a Worx string trimmer and they had a promo where you got a cordless leaf blower with it. Nice to dust off light stuff on the walks and decks, but you have to hurry. Thing runs out of power even on the low setting in about 15 minutes.
I picked up a 40volt Ryobi. it says it will go 190 mph in turbo mode and will move 730 CFM. Only played with it once so far. When you hit the turbo mode you can see the battery go down. You have to change the nozzle size on the end to get that speed. We have a flat roof over a deck. I can get there from the upstairs of the house. I have been using the big backpack blower but, I wanted something a little easier to handle up there. Plus, for just blowing out the garage and stuff like that it is more handy.

They can take my Stihl when they pry it from my cold, dead hands.

Charlton Heston Gun GIF
Actually, the Worx trimmer is a great machine. I ordered my first one off an infomercial and when it came in I looked at it and thought it was some kind of cheap toy. I was wrong. Takes on all but the heaviest brush and is light, well made, and easy to use. I have since ordered one of the newer models, but it is still sitting in the shed unused. I can’t seem to wear the first one out.

Here's the weird thing: out here I have NEVER seen a sticker on a gas pump that notes what percentage, if any, of the "regular" gas is ethanol. I simply don't trust that the gas stations that people say are ethanol free really are. You know the sticker, "contains up to ten percent ethanol". Not requiring this makes me think shenanigans are more possible.

Now, if you want ethanol, oh boy do we have you covered! We have E15, E30, and E85! In fact, you cannot get premium here unless it is E30. Obviously I will not be buying a car that requires premium any time soon.

I am sure all this has to do with corn politics.

Anyway, I bought one big can of the pre-mix last summer and I am just now getting low. The grass and weeds here simply don't grow much once the dry summer heat starts.

I have an electric blower. It's corded. I can reach all of the yard with a 100 ft cord, we have several outdoor outlets around the house so I can reach all corners of the property. That thing blows hurricane-force winds. And I don't need a gas chainsaw here. I have a battery-operated one that does fine if I lose a limb in a storm; if we ever lose our big oak tree, it's going to take a lot more than me with a chainsaw to clean it up, it will take professionals and heavy machinery.

Gallon can or bigger?

I have to make a special trip to get ethanol free gas. It seems to be clearer with less smell. Using it now on my riders and push mowers as well as mixing it or I would just buy it by the can which I keep one or two as a spare.

Actually, the Worx trimmer is a great machine. I ordered my first one off an infomercial and when it came in I looked at it and thought it was some kind of cheap toy. I was wrong. Takes on all but the heaviest brush and is light, well made, and easy to use. I have since ordered one of the newer models, but it is still sitting in the shed unused. I can’t seem to wear the first one out.
I'm sure it is a fine trimmer. I just find a gas trimmer to be oddly satisfying, something about the noise it makes.

I picked up a 40volt Ryobi. it says it will go 190 mph in turbo mode and will move 730 CFM. Only played with it once so far. When you hit the turbo mode you can see the battery go down. You have to change the nozzle size on the end to get that speed. We have a flat roof over a deck. I can get there from the upstairs of the house. I have been using the big backpack blower but, I wanted something a little easier to handle up there. Plus, for just blowing out the garage and stuff like that it is more handy.

I bought some 20v on clearance at Walmart a few years ago. They do very well.

Bought some Green Machines 62v on clearance at Home Depot a couple years ago - these have been great. Much better than the $400 EGO blower I have at our main office.

Gallon can or bigger?

I have to make a special trip to get ethanol free gas. It seems to be clearer with less smell. Using it now on my riders and push mowers as well as mixing it or I would just buy it by the can which I keep one or two as a spare.

Just a gallon. I did see there are little cans of it, that just seems silly.

I am aware of that website. I simply don't trust the gas sellers here for the reasons I noted.

I don't mind putting ethanol containing gas in the rider. The only issues I have ever had with ethanol is in trimmers and chainsaws (I've never owned a gas leaf blower). I wouldn't leave it in there for the winter though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT