ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody here been to Selma, Alabama

Is it decent for a weekend visit? Hotel recommendations, places to eat, etc?

I was there for work 3 times only for a few hours each time. To me it's really not that interesting. Not sure about hotels, but there are decent lunch spots.
I was at the former air force base just east of town, but we did go into town to eat.

I haven't been to their downtown, which I've heard is kind of neat, but I've been in the hospital and all around town probably a half dozen times. Was kind of underwhelmed - lots of fast food and crappy looking dollar stores. Again though, I probably saw the worst of their town since I didn't go downtown.

There's a little Tasty Kake bake shop on the road into town with a big sign out front that says "We accept EBT." I thought of HerdNation's own Walden when I drove by it the first time...he could go on a hell of a tirade about how the fat bums can buy Tasty Kakes with their EBT cards in Selma.

I've been there, there is a church is a sister denomination there that I have visited before.

Selma is bigger than you might think and has some interesting sights to see, but lodging was just normal chains and stuff. It is a pretty economically depressed city.

Originally posted by wvkeeper(HN):
I've been there, there is a church is a sister denomination there that I have visited before.

Selma is bigger than you might think and has some interesting sights to see, but lodging was just normal chains and stuff. It is a pretty economically depressed city.
Selma is "Capital" of the Black belt too. And no, that is not a racial statement.

Originally posted by GeauxHerd:
Originally posted by i am herdman:
Anybody here been to Marion, Alabama?
Why are you venturing into the Black belt for a vacation? Its just not really a vacationy type of area.
I am going on a pilgrimage.
laugh.r191677.gif

No, seriously, I have the likelihood of some business in the area and will be making a lot of trips down there. Just trying to get a feel for the area. Not a lot of info out there.

I hear it isn't too bad of a walk to Montgomery from Selma. At least I've heard it's been done before.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT