ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone Read Doug Smock's Write Up Yet?

On a personal level, I hate to see Doc Holliday not get his contract renewed after 11 years in Huntington. He coached the most games in program history, going 85-54 with three division titles and the 2014 Conference USA championship.

He leaves the program in better shape than he found it after the 2009 season, and put as much dedication into the program, school and community as anybody else.

Pretty much stopped reading after this. Where did it go from here. Blaming the fans for higher expectations?
Also the assertion that Doc was "dedicated to the Htgn community as much as anyone else", is laughable.

Smock over estimates MU's CUSA future. Smock predicts 2 championships in the next 11 years.

The next 11 years will see at least 3 head coaches, each more of a settlement for than the previous. The idea of any championships seems pretty much a pipedream.

Smock however does outline why so very well, the segment of our fanbase that simply does not respect CUSA and thus the future coaches start with an expectation that winning every game is almost an automatic minimum requirement, and not a big deal.

That says "don't go there" to anyone halfway qualified.

Smock over estimates MU's CUSA future. Smock predicts 2 championships in the next 11 years.

The next 11 years will see at least 3 head coaches, each more of a settlement for than the previous. The idea of any championships seems pretty much a pipedream.

Smock however does outline why so very well, the segment of our fanbase that simply does not respect CUSA and thus the future coaches start with an expectation that winning every game is almost an automatic minimum requirement, and not a big deal.

I literally hate fans like you. You're the worst. That somehow expecting or even wanting to win championships is somehow unacceptable. Then why the heck are we doing this? Is the college football or is this C team midget league where we just play the games for fun?

Why do coaches get paid as much ad they do? Why do fans donate their time and money? Why do coaches travel all over the country to find the best possible players and lure them to their programs with a completely free education that your average student doesn't get?

Why? BECAUSE WE'RE TRYING TO BE THE BEST AND WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS. IF YOU'RE NOT IN IT TO WIN THEN WHAT'S THE POINT?

If there should be no expectations. If we're just playing for fun then pay coaches the same as professors, stop fleecing fans for money, stop sending coaches all over the country looking for players, and just hold open tryouts no better yet a community sign up and we'll just play for no reason.

How dare the rest of have the audacity to want more than one championship in 15 seasons. The head coach is hired to do a job. Doc didn't do his job. If other coaches think the demand is too high then don't submit a resume. We don't want you.

It is not that it is wrong to want to win. It is wrong to denigrate our conference to the point that we do not consider it an accomplishment. That crazy attitude is killing our program.

It is not that it is wrong to want to win. It is wrong to denigrate our conference to the point that we do not consider it an accomplishment. That crazy attitude is killing our program.
It's not that we don't consider it an accomplishment. It's that we have been one of the better G5 teams since coming back up in 1997. With our history we should not be struggling to beat teams like Charlotte, ODU, and UTSA that have been playing football for less than 10 years or having issues with FIU and FAU that are so far down the Florida food chain that FIU was considered the team that all the troubled and unwanted players went.

We've watched WKU come in and in their time clean up with championships across the sports.

Marshall should be to CUSA what Alabama is to the SEC, what Ohio State is to the B1G, what Oklahoma is to the Big XII.

That's what we were to the MAC and the MAC from 1997 to 2004 was much better than CUSA 3.whatever we're in now. Heck the MAC now is better than it was then and is ahead of CUSA now as well.

There is zero reason Marshall should be struggling like it has been. We have been done a huge disservice by our administration since Kayo Marcum took over. The attitude at Marshall went from "We Play for Championships" to "We do with what we have." Screw that! Drop back down to the FCS if you truly believe Marshall replicating the MAC is decades old thinking like Goebel said.

If we hire some bum retread HC and we're being told we just need to accept our lot then I am done financially supporting this university. I'm not wasting my money for an administration that is happy and content with being an also-ran.

Last edited:

I don't respect CUSA. I think it is a shit pile

On a personal level, I hate to see Doc Holliday not get his contract renewed after 11 years in Huntington. He coached the most games in program history, going 85-54 with three division titles and the 2014 Conference USA championship.

He leaves the program in better shape than he found it after the 2009 season, and put as much dedication into the program, school and community as anybody else.

Pretty much stopped reading after this. Where did it go from here. Blaming the fans for higher expectations?
Also the assertion that Doc was "dedicated to the Htgn community as much as anyone else", is laughable.

It really wasn't a bad article, overall. I agree, there were some statements about John which were laughable, at best.

Denigrate our conference? Overall w/l record for 2020 was 52 - 63.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33

I would have predicted Marshall drops down to 6K in enrollment and we apply for admission to the Mountain East.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
Mark Snyder was a dumpster fire and got 5 years before he “resigned” Doc Holiday has been here 11 years and has a 39% winning percentage against teams that finished with an above 500 record, owns 8 of the 10 worst home blowout losses in the Joans history and the big one, 1 conference championship in 11 years. 7 of those years being during a time where CUSA has been either the worst or next to the worst conference in FBS.

Can people like Doug Smock quit acting like this was some out of the blue thing that nobody saw coming?

Bleeds your above response to Sam is one of the top posts that I have read on here. You captured my feelings and put it perfectly.

Last edited:
Mark Snyder was a dumpster fire and got 5 years before he “resigned” Doc Holiday has been here 11 years and has a .039 winning percentage, owns 8 of the 10 worst home blowout losses in the Joans history and the big one, 1 conference championship in 11 years. 7 of those years being during a time where CUSA has been either the worst or next to the worst conference in FBS.

Can people like Doug Smock quit acting like this was some out of the blue thing that nobody saw coming?

Bleeds your above response to Sam is one of the top posts that I have read on here. You captured my feelings and put it perfectly.
Doc Holiday has a .039 win percentage? Lol.

Reactions: The Real SamC

Found Docs burner

Like far too many fans they view coaches as friends instead of employees hired to do a job. When you read that part of the article it reads like he hates to see his friend go. He admits he earned his way out, but still because of personal feelings thought he deserved to stay.

I have no personal animus toward Doc and I wish the personal attacks on his actual character would stop. Fact is he didn't win titles. That was his job. If he won the conference this year I was all for a 2-3 year extension. He did not so time to move on.

I don't care who is coaching, throwing the passes, running the ball, catching the ball, or making tackles as long as they are putting us in position to win. If they aren't then next man up until we find the right coach or players. As I said in my one post this isn't the midget league pop warner football where we just let the kids have fun and get a banana and a juice box at the end of the day with an attaboy from dad. No. This is a million dollar industry predicated on winning championships. If Marshall doesn't want championships to be the watermark then stop asking me for money and drop down to D-II.

The only thing that I hate more than losing is complacency and Marshall has a lot of both these last 16 years.

Just look at the "illustrious" list of candidates making the rounds. Nothing but former players and coaches that have ties to MU, WVU, or the state. No outsiders. No FCS championship coaches. Just the good old boys that they feel comfortable with. No offense to Mike Bartrum, but if he is a serious candidate then this administration and "search committee" isn't concerned with chasing championships and therefore I am not concerned with letting them enrich themselves with my money.

Thank you.

Against teams that finished with a 500 record I’ll go in and edit my post.

I'm not sure that is correct.

.039 is 3.9%. John's winning percentage against teams with a winning record was only 3.9? Do you mean 39%?

Is this the same Sam who spouts off the "demand more!!!" mantra over and over again about basketball that is now stating that championships are too much to ask for in football? Is he being paid by someone to spout ridiculous hyperbole and offer contrarian opinions to keep conversation flowing or is he just that out of touch?

These articles keep complimenting Doc for running a clean program, but with how opaque everything always was, I don't know how anyone can say that for sure.

My kids don't lie to me when they've actually cleaned their room.

It wasn’t that clean, domestic violence; hate crimes, cyber stalking, drug rings, strippers and coke, team fights, TE punched the QB, some players unable to write or speak coherent, a contingency of players who had ill feelings towards the HC because of how he handled them, and L’s to Charlotte in the shittiest rain away game I’ve ever been too—-worse then @ Tennessee which was flooding out some of the streets nearby the stadium. Sub 100 yard passing games.

It wasn’t that great, except for that 1 year his mentally weak squad was more worried about how hurt they got their feelings by WKU that they fell apart and ruined the whole season for themselves.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Is this the same Sam who spouts off the "demand more!!!" mantra over and over again about basketball that is now stating that championships are too much to ask for in football?

First, I never said a championship is too much to ask for. I said expecting to win the championship every year, automatically, and believing that it is no accomplishment, which is the idea many of the posters above spew daily, is killing the program. I will go further and say that this childish and rotten attitude WILL keep lots of coaching candidates away, and they are right to stay away.

But yes. Because the position of MU in basketball is so very different from its position in football.

First, I never said a championship is too much to ask for. I said expecting to win the championship every year, automatically, and believing that it is no accomplishment, which is the idea many of the posters above spew daily, is killing the program. I will go further and say that this childish and rotten attitude WILL keep lots of coaching candidates away, and they are right to stay away.

But yes. Because the position of MU in basketball is so very different from its position in football.

You're an idiot.

Nobody is claiming that winning C-USA is a meaningless accomplishment. Considering the advantages we have in football over most of the other teams in the conference, winning it once in 11 years is a big failure.

And no prospective coach is staying away from Marshall due to the alleged unreasonable fan base. A C-USA prospective head coach is just thankful that the school will have a fan base, rabid/unreasonable or not, and would rather have a fan base with high expectations than no fan base at all.

Stay clueless.

It wasn’t that great, except for that 1 year his mentally weak squad was more worried about how hurt they got their feelings by WKU that they fell apart and ruined the whole season for themselves.

I can give personal testimony on this - I watched the warmups that day and saw Cato run through WKU's stretches. He taunted them, fired them up, and then when the game started and he stubbed his toe against them, he went into a confidence spiral that put us so far behind that we spent the rest of regulation catching up. That loss was on him.

I can give personal testimony on this - I watched the warmups that day and saw Cato run through WKU's stretches. He taunted them, fired them up, and then when the game started and he stubbed his toe against them, he went into a confidence spiral that put us so far behind that we spent the rest of regulation catching up. That loss was on him.

I said it as soon as I saw the ****ery that we were gonna hate the game to come that day

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT