ADVERTISEMENT

Apocalypse Now

GK4Herd

Aug 5, 2001
The filming of this movie was absolutely off the chart crazy. They had actual real dead bodies as props. The guy who supplied them turned out to be a grave robber who ended up being arrested. Marlon Brando showed up to the set weighing over 300 pounds and Dennis Hopper was drugged up the entire time.

The only thing this movie didn’t have on the set was Hunter S. Thompson, not that he wouldn’t have fit in. Crazy read...

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...alypse-now-1758689.html?utm_source=reddit.com

I actually took a class about classic movies/film in undergrad and we did a unit on this movie.

Now a lot of the interesting takes on these movies (back story, anecdotes, etc) are online, but back when I took this class I don’t recall this being the case during earlier Internet days.

As I recall, the glass/mirror punching scene was nuts to film. Sheen was legit drunk or messed up and for real cut himself.

I also recall some significance about the book Brando was reading in the final scene too...something like it too told of a story of if you kill the tribal leader you become the leader,..my memory is fuzzy on this though.

American Freedom Boner

tenor.gif

The filming of this movie was absolutely off the chart crazy. They had actual real dead bodies as props. The guy who supplied them turned out to be a grave robber who ended up being arrested. Marlon Brando showed up to the set weighing over 300 pounds and Dennis Hopper was drugged up the entire time.

The only thing this movie didn’t have on the set was Hunter S. Thompson, not that he wouldn’t have fit in. Crazy read...

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...alypse-now-1758689.html?utm_source=reddit.com

That movie's filming was notorious for its filming problems...one of which was it was shot in the Philippines during an actual civil war.
The gunshots heard in the background are likely real ones...Coppola even was lent actual military helicopters and had to give some back since they were, at the same time, used by the military to actually kill people.
Sheen had a heart attack and wandered through the jungle looking for help.
Coppola downplayed it as "heat exhaustion."

On a somewhat related note, anything by Kubrick was downright insanity in terms of detail and literally everything you see is intended to be there for some crazy reason.
He drove Shelley Duvall to basically having a complete mental breakdown during The Shining...the famous bat and stairs scene was shot 127 times...it made a record for most takes in a single scene with dialogue and that was relatively minor when compared to the hours of verbal abuse he inflicted on her, causing her hair to fall out.

He built props and equipment to actually work on the moon in 2001.
The B52 Bomber in the 1960's was still top secret so Kubrick and his crew were off limits to making the set/cockpit of one for Dr. Strangelove.
Kubrick's set designer had another plane cockpit and 1 single photo of a B52.

They were so accurate in their renderings that Kubrick feared an FBI invesitgation since the USAF said, "it was absolutely correct, even to the little black box which was the CRM."

In a Clockwork Orange, he actually had McDowell's eyes pried open, the (real) doctor actually applied the eyedrops to keep him from losing his sight. The machine scratched his cornea, and despite McDowell asking to stop filming, Kubrick said, "Eh, you're good" which makes the "stop it!" screaming in a straightjacket makes me wonder if its real torture.

Those two were absolute insanity...lol.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT