ADVERTISEMENT

Appy losing their 1st year HC...

not sure how good of a coach he really is. IMO one year doesn't show me.

But that is where we are in the psychopathic world of delusional program killing coach haters. Barry Odom, an alumni, and lifelong Mizzou assistant took over only 4 years ago, and took a never great team to 2 bowls and solid records. Fired before his first recruiting class is even gone. Replaced for the latest shinny object, some guy who had one good year with the previous guy’s recruits. Sure to be fired if he does not win the SEC within three years. After all, why accept mediocrity?

When you are in such a system, it is smart for a young coach to show no loyalist all all, get in, get his cash, and take what comes. Unrealistic, delusional, keyboard warrior “fans” destroy programs.

……………...and of course you can't blame the Appy Coach for taking the pay raise...…….wonder how much of a buyout Appy will get?

But that is where we are in the psychopathic world of delusional program killing coach haters. Barry Odom, an alumni, and lifelong Mizzou assistant took over only 4 years ago, and took a never great team to 2 bowls and solid records. Fired before his first recruiting class is even gone. Replaced for the latest shinny object, some guy who had one good year with the previous guy’s recruits. Sure to be fired if he does not win the SEC within three years. After all, why accept mediocrity?

When you are in such a system, it is smart for a young coach to show no loyalist all all, get in, get his cash, and take what comes. Unrealistic, delusional, keyboard warrior “fans” destroy programs.

Maybe it’s because Missouri doesn’t have an administration of juice boxes, orange slices and participation trophies. Maybe their goal is to win the SEC and compete for the National Championship.

What is wrong with those expectations? I would ten times rather our administration err on the side of unrealistic expectations rather than having zero expectations.

I think you both have valid points. Schools should have high expectations but you've got to give a coach time to produce. With Mizzou, that may not be the case as Odom had 4 seasons with little improvement.

Part of Mizzou's problem is that they let Pinkel go after a bad season following two great seasons with division titles. Why not give him at least one more season to rebound?

Part of Mizzou's problem is that they let Pinkel go after a bad season following two great seasons with division titles. Why not give him at least one more season to rebound?
I think Pinkel decided to retire after he decided he really didn't need the stress in his life after the student/player protests, etc. that season.

Reactions: mubaseballking

This will be the new norm. I heard an AD from the SEC a year or so ago. He said with more money comes more expecations. The coaches are making a ton of money. He said it is similiar to the NFL now. The days of getting 5 years or more to "build programs" are over. You will no longer see coaches getting that amount of time. 2 or 3 years and if results are not there they will be gone. Just like the NFL.

Reactions: caliherd
Just like the NFL.

Only thing is, it isn’t the NFL on the business side. The Cincinnati (probably by then Salt Lake City) Bengals will still be in the NFL in 10 years time, and still get a full share of the NFL’s almost totally shared revenue system, even if, and this seems likely, they don’t win 10 games between now and then.

Meanwhile, in the NCAA, there is another Great Realignment coming. Programs that are down are going to get left out. Not out of the P5, out of the whole deal. And, even if not, empty seats make a heck of an audience.

All across football, programs that move from coach to coach to coach, because, to quote Ollie “Everything I Touch Turns To S***” Luck, “9-3 is not acceptable” is a great way to KILL A PROGRAM.

Because that is “accepting mediocrity” to the keyboard warrior “fan”.

It is what kills programs.

Fans don’t kill programs, shitty coaching, poor results, boring on the field product kills the fan support which will lead to the death of a program. Yore* seeing it all take place right in front of your eyes, you just need to open them up.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
The successful half.
Depends on how you define successful. I imagine Charlotte is elated. I would imagine that Alabama is not so elated.

I would imagine Marshall should not be totally elated. This is not 1968 where going to a bowl game is something special. That's the problem with Marshall right now. They are happy going 8-4 and claiming bowl game!. The program could do more.

Depends on how you define successful.

And that is your problem, the reason MU football is just not for you. You define “success” as 13-0 and access bowl. You have AAC envy. You don’t like our coach, you don’t think beating any of the teams we play is significant, you don’t think our conference is an accomplishment. NOTHING that is ever going to actually happen will please you.

This isn’t for you. You need to find something else. As I have suggested before, pro wrestling. The “face” (good guy) always wins. If that is not for you, WVU beckons, read their message boards. For my whole life, it has been one giant echo chamber of people convinced they are going to win the national championship next year and the beating (VMI - Temple - Rutgers - Texas Tech) is significant. If that is not for you, try UCF. It’s 400 or so fans seem convinced that they won a “national championship” when we all saw Alabama win it, and that they play in something called the “power 6” when they signed their name to the same contract we did that states the AAC is a G5 league.

And that is your problem, the reason MU football is just not for you. You define “success” as 13-0 and access bowl. You have AAC envy. You don’t like our coach, you don’t think beating any of the teams we play is significant, you don’t think our conference is an accomplishment. NOTHING that is ever going to actually happen will please you.

This isn’t for you. You need to find something else. As I have suggested before, pro wrestling. The “face” (good guy) always wins. If that is not for you, WVU beckons, read their message boards. For my whole life, it has been one giant echo chamber of people convinced they are going to win the national championship next year and the beating (VMI - Temple - Rutgers - Texas Tech) is significant. If that is not for you, try UCF. It’s 400 or so fans seem convinced that they won a “national championship” when we all saw Alabama win it, and that they play in something called the “power 6” when they signed their name to the same contract we did that states the AAC is a G5 league.
No Marshall football is for me. They are not living up to their potential and you are buying into the excuses and fraud brought on by the AD and coach. They are excuse makers. I don't necessarily mean Access bowls although that should be a goal for MU. Winning this conference once in a decade or more is not success. That is failure and underachievement. Losing to Charlotte this year is failure.

So, Marshall is for me but the program is an underachiever and frankly that is disturbing.

You can sit and listen to Hamrick and Doc talk about how tough things are and buy into them settling for mediocrity but, I won't(and many others as well). They have set Marshall football back and I can't wait until there is a change.

The successful half.

Outside of the major bowls, going to a bowl game isn't the slightest bit impressive. It's nothing more than a participation trophy.

Times have changed, and now all you need is a winning (or sometimes 0.500 if they're short in supply) record and you're pretty much guaranteed a bowl game.

But this is just another example of what any rational-minded human being would understand. It's just a shame you don't qualify.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I think you both have valid points. Schools should have high expectations but you've got to give a coach time to produce. With Mizzou, that may not be the case as Odom had 4 seasons with little improvement.

Ask this board. Almost the same thing happened at MU except the coach wasn't canned and got to rebound.

Outside of the major bowls, going to a bowl game isn't the slightest bit impressive. It's nothing more than a participation trophy.

Under the current system, the chances of MU going to a “major bowl” in your lifetime, once, is maybe 10%. The chance of it going more than that is far less than 1%. Every other year, you will be dissatisfied.

Those of us who love Marshall understand that and will be happy most years. I know I have been happy every year, save one, since Suntan Man was run off.

Marshall sports is not for you. Find something else.

Reactions: ThunderDrunk304
No Marshall football is for me. They are not living up to their potential and you are buying into the excuses and fraud brought on by the AD and coach. They are excuse makers. I don't necessarily mean Access bowls although that should be a goal for MU. Winning this conference once in a decade or more is not success. That is failure and underachievement. Losing to Charlotte this year is failure.

So, Marshall is for me but the program is an underachiever and frankly that is disturbing.

You can sit and listen to Hamrick and Doc talk about how tough things are and buy into them settling for mediocrity but, I won't(and many others as well). They have set Marshall football back and I can't wait until there is a change.

To be fair...the P5 programs that are routinely winning their conferences are the same ones every season.
Even some losing to "Charlotte-like" teams in the process.
ohio state, Oklahoma, Clemson, and Alabama/ LSU. The Pac-12 is the only one that has had a few different champions lately.
That would mean minus about 8 teams, everyone is underperforming...since conference titles seem to be the only measuring stick around here.

Under the current system, the chances of MU going to a “major bowl” in your lifetime, once, is maybe 10%. The chance of it going more than that is far less than 1%. Every other year, you will be dissatisfied.

Those of us who love Marshall understand that and will be happy most years. I know I have been happy every year, save one, since Suntan Man was run off.

We had a Chance and it was blown just like we had a chance to win a CUSA title this season, which was also blown. See the pattern?

Goddamn Sam does have a point and its a reality for 99% of the G5 every year.

Even if MU had won their conference, they wouldn't be guaranteed a NY6 bowl. Several G5 fans seem to accept this except MU fans.
Do they want more? Absolutely. We all do.

After ucf's run in the last 3 years, it has shown there is a limit the G5 can go. It is a very narrow margin as well and several outside factors have to happen for MU to be in it.
We aren't the only ones either...Boise State had to hope for certain teams to lose to be considered for the NY6 bowl...didn't happen, now they have the Las Vegas Bowl against a 7-5 Washington team (likely for storyline purposes) despite being 12-1.

It sucks, but its also the way the college football landscape is going to be in the near future.

This will be the new norm. I heard an AD from the SEC a year or so ago. He said with more money comes more expecations. The coaches are making a ton of money. He said it is similiar to the NFL now. The days of getting 5 years or more to "build programs" are over. You will no longer see coaches getting that amount of time. 2 or 3 years and if results are not there they will be gone. Just like the NFL.

Problem is MU can't afford to have those expectations, at least the pressure of them.

As I said a while back, Southern Miss had to fire multiple coaches over a few years time who were not winning at all. In order to afford the buyout for one of them, they surrendered the return game with Nebraska...which cost the city and local economy potentially much more since you had the best traveling fanbase not coming to your school.

MU and Hamrick are embarking on a $150 million Herd Rises campaign.
To Texas A&M? Thats 2 Jimbo Fisher's.

We had a Chance and it was blown just like we had a chance to win a CUSA title this season, which was also blown. See the pattern?

Does an undefeated Marshall jump a 2 loss Boise State?
If I remember correctly, the final week before the championship weekend had MU still behind Boise.
Even if MU had beaten WKU and won CUSA, Boise did the same thing and won out as well.
Does that change MU's position for the NY6 slot?

Does an undefeated Marshall jump a 2 loss Boise State?
If I remember correctly, the final week before the championship weekend had MU still behind Boise.
Even if MU had beaten WKU and won CUSA, Boise did the same thing and won out as well.
Does that change MU's position for the NY6 slot?

Guess we will never know since we let WKU drop 67 on us.

We were 1 spot behind BSU on Nov 25th, if we win out we were in as our next two games were against opponents with winning records. They had said they would not have left out an undefeated team. So yes, we don’t have the WKU debacle at home we were in there’s no doubt.

We were 1 spot behind BSU on Nov 25th, if we win out we were in as our next two games were against opponents with winning records. They had said they would not have left out an undefeated team. So yes, we don’t have the WKU debacle at home we were in there’s no doubt.

I would agree with you but ollie luck was part of that CFP group.
While I doubt he blatantly said, "keep Marshall out" I am sure he pushed for Boise pretty hard.

But we will never know.

You are simply delusional. You need to find something else.
I am not delusional. You listening to an AD and his coach who are excuse makers and who are happy with being where they are at instead of being better. They are covering up their own failure and their own retirement plan. I am not even talking about a New Year's Day bowl. Hell, I am talking about winning the conference more than once a decade. Doc Holliday is a mediocre coach at best protected by his buddy Mike Hamrick. That's the truth.

So Sam since we are so poor and woe is me we are a small school woe is me. You are such a West Vitginian it’s not even funny. Expect nothing, excuses for everything, woe is me for everything. We can’t do this cause we are in WV, Huntington is small blah blah blah blah blah.

Answer me this question Sam since we are so poor and downtrodden. Why did we move up to FBS. Bigger question and this is a huge one since we are so poor and have no money why did we build an IPF? Why did we pay Holiday the most of any HC in our history? Why did we build a P5 level weight room. Why did we build a sweet soccer stadium? Why do we have a very nice softball field? Lastly why in the world are we building a new baseball stadium?

According to you and the other mouthpieces we are lucky to win a game. We should strive for nothing. We can’t hope to compete when it comes to the major league programs that are CUSA version 3.0.

So why did we build all that stuff. We could absolutely have stood still and got the results we have had the last 10 years in football. I know you don’t think we had to build those things to compete in this conference. I assumed it was to help us move up. But according to you and your other people who think like you, this is it we are at the pinnacle. So why did we waste millions on things that we did not need to compete at the level we are now. Why are we continuing to waste money by building a really nice baseball stadium?
Care to answer that for me?

So Sam since we are so poor and woe is me we are a small school woe is me. You are such a West Vitginian it’s not even funny. Expect nothing, excuses for everything, woe is me for everything. We can’t do this cause we are in WV, Huntington is small blah blah blah blah blah.

Answer me this question Sam since we are so poor and downtrodden. Why did we move up to FBS. Bigger question and this is a huge one since we are so poor and have no money why did we build an IPF? Why did we pay Holiday the most of any HC in our history? Why did we build a P5 level weight room. Why did we build a sweet soccer stadium? Why do we have a very nice softball field? Lastly why in the world are we building a new baseball stadium?

According to you and the other mouthpieces we are lucky to win a game. We should strive for nothing. We can’t hope to compete when it comes to the major league programs that are CUSA version 3.0.

So why did we build all that stuff. We could absolutely have stood still and got the results we have had the last 10 years in football. I know you don’t think we had to build those things to compete in this conference. I assumed it was to help us move up. But according to you and your other people who think like you, this is it we are at the pinnacle. So why did we waste millions on things that we did not need to compete at the level we are now. Why are we continuing to waste money by building a really nice baseball stadium?
Care to answer that for me?
He gets that crap from the Shewey and they use it as a crutch to justify their mediocrity.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT