ADVERTISEMENT

ArkansasAD Yurachek Fed Up with High Buyouts

I'm all for something like this. Doing something just because everybody else does is something we are suppose to learn about as kids. Letting agents push the "industry standard" stuff is the problem.

Really the same thing goes for salaries. These guys want to be FBS head coaches and there are only 130 jobs to be had. Most these guys would be lucky to make $200,000 doing anything else.

I was trying to be nice, but a lot of coaches are leaders and salesmen. Most could make a good living in sales and sales management.

At the P5 level, you are asking a guy to give up a solid job, probably as a G5 HC or P5 coordinator, for near zero job security. They should protect themselves and their families.

I don't think having a buyout is a bad thing necessarily... But the amounts have gotten out of hand.

At a high-level job, like P5 head coach, the coach and his agent should negotiate a potential exit contingency. But in the real world, that usually comes in some form of severance package (6 months to a year salary) - Not tens of millions of dollars. If each coach had a buyout of a year's salary, or hell even two years, I don't think any AD's would be outraged.

At the P5 level, you are asking a guy to give up a solid job, probably as a G5 HC or P5 coordinator, for near zero job security. They should protect themselves and their families.
Not at the point of strapping the school.

We should be familiar with that.

Colleges making millions off of the backs of the athletes and paying them nothing.
Athletes sitting out bowl games to ensure their draft stock and focus on the NFL for the highest contract they can get.
Coaches having large buyouts regardless of performance in college by marketing themselves after 1 season.

Its all about money and colleges are just mad they have to pay more of it for someone basically doing what they're doing to athletes/others.

I see nothing wrong with whats been going on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT