ADVERTISEMENT

Assistant coach salaries per USA Today:

For real? Heres a thought, why don't we cut their pay and see how long we can keep the ones we have now. Can't wait to see who we get next. Better pay we get a better staff plain and simple.
But, we don't have a different staff right now. I said current staff.

It's middle of the pack for a CUSA OC.

Fuller is making $400,000 at Memphis. It will be interesting to see if he moves on with the head coach. I would love to have him back here.

When we make our next coaching hire... And yes it's when, not if... Marshall will have to increase salaries for assistants. They also will need to increase head coach base pay incrementally. Attracting a candidate that we would want (an up-and-comer with offensive background) will take $1 million per year, at least, plus incentives.

For the sake of a comparable... Look at what's going on at Colorado State, our old bowl game friends... Their first two choices to fill the head coach vacancy both reportedly tanked (one due to "ethical concerns" and one just said "no thanks"). So they threw $1.5 million per year, with an automatic $50,000 pay raise each year of the deal, at Steve Addazio, a guy who went 44-44 at Boston College before his players mutinied and he got canned.

Coaching hires are the single most important thing college football programs do. A good one can turn a bad program around, and a bad one can screw you for 4-5 years or more.

Coaching hires are the single most important thing college football programs do. A good one can turn a bad program around, and a bad one can screw you for 4-5 years or more.

Winner. A bad coaching hire, can set a true major program back half a decade or more. At our level it can KILL the program.

That is why delusional keyboard warriors that have nothing to say but “fire the coach” and “9-3 is unacceptable” should be ignored.

Reactions: Tim_N_Montana
Winner. A bad coaching hire, can set a true major program back half a decade or more. At our level it can KILL the program.

That is why delusional keyboard warriors that have nothing to say but “fire the coach” and “9-3 is unacceptable” should be ignored.
9-3 is not unacceptable. We just aren't getting there.

9-3 is not unacceptable. We just aren't getting there.

If we would have went 9-3, we likely would have won a CUSA championship (UAB looked like garbage)... I'm not for nor against making a coaching change at this juncture. I'd be okay with Doc being gone, I would be just as okay with him finishing out his contract. I was just pointing out that MU needs to get it right when they do make the next hire, whether that is in a month, two years or whenever.

Would Doc be any better if he made 2 million a year?
of course no, that is not my point. The market has dictated a certain level of salary and we are well below it.Our next HC and staff will have to be payed more or we will fall behind more than we already are.We want a top notch coach so we better be ready to pony up about 1.5 million for the next hire or we will get another like we already have.

Reactions: beefcake0520
of course no, that is not my point. The market has dictated a certain level of salary and we are well below it.Our next HC and staff will have to be payed more or we will fall behind more than we already are.We want a top notch coach so we better be ready to pony up about 1.5 million for the next hire or we will get another like we already have.

I'd say you are in the ballpark. Our next HC will certainly make at least 1 Mil. I'd bet. Incentives will jack that up a bit. jmo

Reactions: ohio herd
That's not the GD point! The philosophy is that salary range and coaching ability correlate. As a result, more money typically means better coaches.
Why does our current coaching staff deserve more? We could do better for what we are paying Doc. Not going to change until he is gone and probably the AD as as well

Why does our current coaching staff deserve more? We could do better for what we are paying Doc. Not going to change until he is gone and probably the AD as as well
We are getting top third finishes for middle of the pack pay. Doc's pay has nothing to do with the issue. We have lost a lot of very good assistant coaches due to lousy pay in comparison to other G5 programs and we can't compete when P5 schools coming calling for our coaches even when the position is a lesser role. The landscape has changed in the G5 in the last 5 years and we simply aren't keeping up financially with our peers. The assistant budget needs to go up by at least 33% so that we can be attractive to better coaches, and that is why we have some coaches on the staff that do not have much experience.

Reactions: HerdFan73
John Holliday makes anywhere from 1.5x to 5x the salary of every FCS head coach. Saying "we have to pay a million, minimum" is absolutely incorrect. Find a head coach at the FCS level that meets your criteria and I'm sure they will likely be more than happy to double their salary and take the job.

Look at coach Fuller. He was here a number of years, became DC and we never paid him a fortune, but we were the gateway to him going from 100 and some thousand, to 300 and some and now on to almost a million.

This is a gateway job. We shouldn't have the same HC for 10 years, things aren't like they were 20 years ago. If we keep a coach for ten years it's because no one else wants him and if no one else does, why do we?

We are getting top third finishes for middle of the pack pay. Doc's pay has nothing to do with the issue. We have lost a lot of very good assistant coaches due to lousy pay in comparison to other G5 programs and we can't compete when P5 schools coming calling for our coaches even when the position is a lesser role. The landscape has changed in the G5 in the last 5 years and we simply aren't keeping up financially with our peers. The assistant budget needs to go up by at least 33% so that we can be attractive to better coaches, and that is why we have some coaches on the staff that do not have much experience.
Whatever. We blamed bill leggett. Got a new coordinator and same old shit. It is doc a s until he goes we are what we are. Stagnated

We are getting top third finishes for middle of the pack pay.

Feel free to compare the cost of living in Boca Raton, Miami, the Dallas metroplex, Houston, Charlotte, San Antonio, Murfreesboro, etc. to Huntington. When you consider that huge factor, Doc's pay is in the top this of the conference.

We have lost a lot of very good assistant coaches due to lousy pay in comparison to other G5 programs and we can't compete when P5 schools coming calling for our coaches even when the position is a lesser role.

Really? Compare the staff budget to those at the other C-USA schools. And again, factor in cost of living in those places. Then, consider that new head coaching hires usually make more money than the previous head coach, because in most cases, the new head coach is replacing a fired head coach. As a result, schools are apt to pay a new guy more. Since Doc has been at Marshall for a decade, the school doesn't have that sudden jump in salaries for a new staff.

and that is why we have some coaches on the staff that do not have much experience.

That's entirely bullshit. Excluding Lambert who has a $500,000+ buyout being paid to him by Charlotte, there were AT LEAST 30 Conference USA assistants who were paid less this year than the lowest paid Marshall coach. Charlotte, a team that just beat Marshall (again), had four assistants paid less than the lowest Marshall paid assistant. FAU, the conference champion, had three assistants paid less than the lowest paid Marshall assistant.

Doc is in charge of not only who he hires but also how his budget is dispersed. If Doc paid his less experienced coaches the same salary that schools like Charlotte and FAU did, then he'd have $90,000 - $150,000 extra to pay better coordinators.

Many of his hires are awful as his budgeting.

Reactions: i am herdman
John Holliday makes anywhere from 1.5x to 5x the salary of every FCS head coach. Saying "we have to pay a million, minimum" is absolutely incorrect. Find a head coach at the FCS level that meets your criteria and I'm sure they will likely be more than happy to double their salary and take the job.

Marshall's search should start and end with Jay Hill from Weber State. He had an immediate turnaround of that program and has improved them each year to now being in the national semis. On top of that, much like the state of West Virginia, he is in a place that doesn't produce much high school talent, so he has to survive with what he can. Even more, he is within an hour of BYU, within an hour of Utah State, and within 35 minutes of Utah. He has a ton of far bigger programs very close to him, so even if he offers kids scholarships (at the FCS level, he can offer full and partials), many times they will choose to start out as a walk-on at a nearby FBS school in hopes of earning a schollie. It's a tough task to coach at Weber State.

Before Hill took over, Weber State had these records:

2012: 2-9
2013: 2-10
2014: 2-10

Hill took over:

2015: 6-5 (he lost to the #5 team in the country by one point, and winning that game would have put Weber in the playoffs)
2016: 7-5 (first round of the playoffs)
2017: 11-3 (one loss against an FBS team, third round of the playoffs where they lost by 3 to James Madison)
2018: 10-3 (one loss against an FBS team, third round of the playoffs where they lost by 5)
2019: 11-3 (two of those three losses were by six points each to FBS teams, they are currently in the national semifinals and play at James Madison this week. Friday, they had only 113 yards of total offense and still won against Montana. When a head coach finds a way to win against a damn good opponent even after only getting 113 yards of offense, he is doing something right).

And to make it better, he is not only the head coach but has also been the defensive coordinator for the past five years.

Had BYU not extended their coach's contract last month, Jay Hill was a shoo-in for the job. It's shocking that a school like Colorado State didn't jump all over him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elkview
Does he know eastern recruiting or have the Rolodex to hire the people that do?

Outside of some very special relationships with powerhouse high schools (a college coach being the former head coach at the high school, a college coach having played at that high school, etc.), I think the value of having recruited an area successfully is extremely overrated.

If you can recruit, you can recruit. It doesn't matter if that's in the south, the west, or the east. There are special exceptions (BYU getting a pipeline to the Polynesian kids due to LDS, a former Miami high school coach temporarily getting kids to his new college, etc.), but if you can recruit, you can recruit, and the region doesn't matter.

In fact, I don't even think getting the right fit for a region is as important as I thought it was. In other words, I think a country guy can recruit cities, and I think a city guy can recruit the country. It just keeps going back to "if you can recruit, you can recruit."

What I continue to be surprised about is the lack of major college coaches on things like Instagram and Snapchat. That's how kids communicate the most these days. I don't understand how a head coach isn't on there, and just as much, how he doesn't force his assistants to be on there. It is free branding and literally hundreds of opportunities to be in front of the faces of recruits each month. I know that Urban used to heavily penalize and chastise his coaches for not being active on certain social media.

Outside of some very special relationships with powerhouse high schools (a college coach being the former head coach at the high school, a college coach having played at that high school, etc.), I think the value of having recruited an area successfully is extremely overrated.

If you can recruit, you can recruit. It doesn't matter if that's in the south, the west, or the east. There are special exceptions (BYU getting a pipeline to the Polynesian kids due to LDS, a former Miami high school coach temporarily getting kids to his new college, etc.), but if you can recruit, you can recruit, and the region doesn't matter.

In fact, I don't even think getting the right fit for a region is as important as I thought it was. In other words, I think a country guy can recruit cities, and I think a city guy can recruit the country. It just keeps going back to "if you can recruit, you can recruit."

What I continue to be surprised about is the lack of major college coaches on things like Instagram and Snapchat. That's how kids communicate the most these days. I don't understand how a head coach isn't on there, and just as much, how he doesn't force his assistants to be on there. It is free branding and literally hundreds of opportunities to be in front of the faces of recruits each month. I know that Urban used to heavily penalize and chastise his coaches for not being active on certain social media.

Absolutely agree with the social media presence for coaches. The only thing that I can come up with (besides laziness) is that they are afraid they will break some lame NCAA rule and the compliance officer will be knocking on their door. Other than that, I totally agree that coaches need/should have a visible presence on as many platforms as possible......

true, my sons always say, "dad you are a boomer" , go back to FaceBook. I am not on either forum by the way.However,if I was recruiting college football players I would use it daily Most younger people use Instagram and snapchat and Twitter.

Whatever. We blamed bill leggett. Got a new coordinator and same old shit. It is doc a s until he goes we are what we are. Stagnated
The issue with our offense is the QB and the injuries to Obialo and Henry at WR. If Green were playing at an average level we would be averaging about 35 PPG and probably have just 1 loss right now.

The issue with our offense is the QB and the injuries to Obialo and Henry at WR. If Green were playing at an average level we would be averaging about 35 PPG and probably have just 1 loss right now.
If my aunt had you know the rest of the saying

Marshall's search should start and end with Jay Hill from Weber State. He had an immediate turnaround of that program and has improved them each year to now being in the national semis. On top of that, much like the state of West Virginia, he is in a place that doesn't produce much high school talent, so he has to survive with what he can. Even more, he is within an hour of BYU, within an hour of Utah State, and within 35 minutes of Utah. He has a ton of far bigger programs very close to him, so even if he offers kids scholarships (at the FCS level, he can offer full and partials), many times they will choose to start out as a walk-on at a nearby FBS school in hopes of earning a schollie. It's a tough task to coach at Weber State.

Before Hill took over, Weber State had these records:

2012: 2-9
2013: 2-10
2014: 2-10

Hill took over:

2015: 6-5 (he lost to the #5 team in the country by one point, and winning that game would have put Weber in the playoffs)
2016: 7-5 (first round of the playoffs)
2017: 11-3 (one loss against an FBS team, third round of the playoffs where they lost by 3 to James Madison)
2018: 10-3 (one loss against an FBS team, third round of the playoffs where they lost by 5)
2019: 11-3 (two of those three losses were by six points each to FBS teams, they are currently in the national semifinals and play at James Madison this week. Friday, they had only 113 yards of total offense and still won against Montana. When a head coach finds a way to win against a damn good opponent even after only getting 113 yards of offense, he is doing something right).

And to make it better, he is not only the head coach but has also been the defensive coordinator for the past five years.

Had BYU not extended their coach's contract last month, Jay Hill was a shoo-in for the job. It's shocking that a school like Colorado State didn't jump all over him.
Do you live in Utah? Can’t tell...

He’d be the best available candidate even if I lived in Alaska.

He was one of two finalists for an FBS job this season, but similar to the Pruett scenario, he told the school it couldn’t leak before his team finished their season. It leaked, he said “bye,” and they offered it to the other guy that day.

No but rifle is all over the country. I say he knows more coaches than all of the members on this board together. We need rifle here to be our QBs coach. Look at the qbs he has developed. Him being a Marshall grad he should already have been talked to.

Reactions: ThunderDrunk304
He’d be the best available candidate even if I lived in Alaska.

He was one of two finalists for an FBS job this season, but similar to the Pruett scenario, he told the school it couldn’t leak before his team finished their season. It leaked, he said “bye,” and they offered it to the other guy that day.
Yeah, I bet.

When can we expect you to be AD? I know you have a pretty decent amateur UFC career at the bar scene going on out there in Utah, but please just consider taking the job and blessing us with your omniscient wisdom about everything ever. Marshall needs you now more than ever.

ADVERTISEMENT