Athlon Sports Predictions

Chris McLaughlin

Grammar Snob
Staff
Feb 14, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
marshall.rivals.com
Not very kind to the Herd.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/conference-usa-football-2017-predictions

East Division
WKU 6-2, 9-4
2 MTSU 6-2, 7-5
3 Old Dominion 5-3, 7-5
4 FAU 4-4, 6-6
5 Marshall 4-4, 5-7
6 FIU 4-4, 5-7
7 Charlotte 1-7, 3-9

West Division

1 Louisiana Tech 6-2, 9-4
2 Southern Miss 5-3, 7-5
3 UTSA 5-3, 7-5
4 North Texas 3-5, 5-7
5 Rice 3-5, 3-9
6 UTEP 3-5, 3-9
7 UAB 1-7, 3-9

Conference USA Championship Game
Louisiana Tech over WKU

Predicts Ryan Yurachek first team all-CUSA; Ryan Bee and Rodney Allen second team; Levi Brown third team; and Chase Litton and Tyre Brady fourth team.

"Not very kind to the Herd"! After last season what did you expect? We will find out in our home opener against Miami (OH) if Athlon is correct in there prediction about the Herd. I hope they are wrong.

"Not very kind to the Herd"! After last season what did you expect? We will find out in our home opener against Miami (OH) if Athlon is correct in there prediction about the Herd. I hope they are wrong.
Athlon has not been kind to the Herd many years. But this season they really have no reason to pick us higher.We are a year older?What will make us any better? I cant remember a time in the past 30 years when I wasn't a 100% optimist. This year I am numb. We can talk all we want but until we win on the field we are not going to get any love from any of the football media.

Athlon has not been kind to the Herd many years. But this season they really have no reason to pick us higher.We are a year older?What will make us any better? I cant remember a time in the past 30 years when I wasn't a 100% optimist. This year I am numb. We can talk all we want but until we win on the field we are not going to get any love from any of the football media.

Right now I feel like I did every season under Snyder. You know! When you just knew going into spring ball we'd suck

Reactions: mlblack16.
3-9 is 3-9, 60 to 6 at home is 60 to 6. Holliday's back is to the wall.

I say Miami is the bellweather game for the season. Miami game time, if the Team comes out and the QB still thinks it's all about him, it's over for Doc the QB and maybe even Hamrick. I wouldn't have gambled on keeping Chase, I'd have told Morel it's gonna be a bitch son, but your going to have to step up fast, take the beating and hang in.

My take, it's going to be the most important home opener in Hollidays tenure and Athlon may be right...

Doc better get it together because WKU and La Tech are passing us by quickly.

Doc better get it together because WKU and La Tech are passing us by quickly.

And MT.

Surprised no one here mentioned Chucks article on Sunday detailing how WKU has basically blown by everyone in the league in terms of CUSA titles.

Nothing I say can or will change anyone's aspect. As far as optimism, I was always not optimistic under Snyder, always hoped maturity would work in his favor but it never did, after a year or two of him, optimism turned into fruitless hope. I don't feel that under Doc, his 2013 season sold me from that point on, Snyder never had a 2013 season,. I don't think a team that won many games forgot how to win, but I do think they lost their way. I feel if the Oline can improve, we have a shot at a bowl. So my optimism is derived from what I know they can do, not what I hope they can. How optimistic am I that they can get back to that, at this point I don't know. Miami and Cincy will tell us what we need to know for the rest of the season.

Beefcake "My optimism is derived from what I know they can do, not what I hope they can." Uh what do you know that "they can do"?

we still have players on the team from 2015, right? There is no need to be smart. I think we can have a conversation and/or debate without that nonsense. The players didn't all of a sudden forget how to play or how to win, coaches didn't wake up with amnesia and forget how to coach. Like I said, if the Oline can improve to a degree, they have a decent chance of a turn around and bowl. Look at the roster and tell me I am wrong.....

2013 was all about smoke and mirrors. We played nobody. Doc is a gutless coach who runs the most predictable basic offense that is easy to defend. Vanilla vanilla vanilla.. it will not change until we get rid of him and Legg

Not being "smart" beefcake. Your post makes it sound as if you something the rest of us have not seen nor be aware of. We will know shortly concerning your assessment of this years edition.

I wouldn't have gambled on keeping Chase, I'd have told Morel it's gonna be a bitch son, but your going to have to step up fast, take the beating and hang in.

My take, it's going to be the most important home opener in Hollidays tenure and Athlon may be right...

Allow me to respond for all the "Supa-Fans" and suggest that Doc doesn't throw the ball for Chase. He doesn't catch the ball for the receivers. What more is he supposed to be able to do? It's up to the players.

Oh, almost forgot...and we're so young, give it time.

Not being "smart" beefcake. Your post makes it sound as if you something the rest of us have not seen nor be aware of. We will know shortly concerning your assessment of this years edition.
I know as much as the rest of you and probably less than some. All I am saying is the downslide last year had many of the same players as the year before that won 10 games, with many still here from that era. That's all I am saying. The ability is there if they have done it before. I won't say a turn around is what will happen, I hope it does, but I will say they "can" do it if they have done it before. The epic fail last year snake bit most of us, heck I am still not sure I understand it all. If I am not mistaken, I believe this happened to MT a couple years before coming to CUSA, I don't know what they did to fix the team issue, but maybe Doc should call ole Stockstill up and get some pointers. We will see come September if anything was fixable.

2013 was all about smoke and mirrors. We played nobody. Doc is a gutless coach who runs the most predictable basic offense that is easy to defend. Vanilla vanilla vanilla.. it will not change until we get rid of him and Legg
No, just blew a good ECU out of the water, beat a decent Maryland team in a bowl, took VT to 3 overtimes in Blacksburg that we shoulda won, beat UTSA handily that gave everyone fits. Nope, didn't play anyone at all

beat UTSA handily that gave everyone fits. Nope, didn't play anyone at all

Gave everyone fits, eh?

They were losing 42-7 in the 4th quarter against Okie State before the Cowboys put in the waterboys who had chlamydia. UTSA still lost by 21.

They were losing 38-6 in the 4th quarter against Arizona before losing by 25.

They lost to Houston by 31 and Marshall by 24. But, hey, they only lost to Rice by 6, so if "gave everyone fits" means a six point loss to Rice, then you're right.

if they only win one game this season it needs to be an ass-whooping to WKU... and maybe little Miami and I'd be fine!

Last edited:
Just looked at Lindy's. They aren't kind to us either. Only Charlotte is picked lower in the east. They mentions OL injuries and internal strife as our downfall last year.
Say going 6-6 would be a good turn around.

I say if we go 5-7, Doc and staff will still have jobs. 1. They'll say we can't afford the buyout. 2. They'll say we are young and 2018 should be a banner year. jmho.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Can't blame them for those predictions. Really hard to when our own fans aren't sure of our team. I see new comers on offense helping, but that all depends on the Oline, after last year, I just don't know about that bunch, injuries or not. Replacements looked lost most of the time, missed assignment after missed assignment. Mirabol will be a magician if he gets them lined out.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT