ADVERTISEMENT

Attendance Predcition for Saturday's Game vs ODU

BleedsGreen33

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Jan 25, 2010
Weather is going to he high of 64 and a low of 41 with a 50% chance of rain.

The last two times ODU visited
2015 - 18,473
2017 - 26,097

I think we'll hear 23k and change announced.

and the key word is ANNOUNCED. Actual butts in the seats will be less than 20k

I don't think that holds as true as it used to. I don't know what figure they choose to use, but unlike in years past those two numbers (announced/butts in seats) should more closely mirror each other. For years everyone knows the number announced would reflect the actual ticket sales. Unless you used turn styles that actually worked and were accurately monitored it was difficult to tell. Now all the tickets are electronically scanned as people enter the stadium. There should be zero issues in getting a real time figure on just how many people are actually in stadium.

Now whether they choose to be up front and honest about it choose the bigger number to try and fool everyone who knows.

For the one thousand time let’s make this clear. EVERY school and EVERY professional team declare attendance based on tickets sold, passed out, or distributed to the opponent. That’s how attendance is calculated.
I have NEVER been to a sold out event where every seat was occupied. There are always no shows
I certainly don’t think Duke has 9,314 fans attending every home game. Always some no shows and sometimes more than capacity due to packing students in the bleachers sideway to create more room.

For the one thousand time let’s make this clear. EVERY school and EVERY professional team declare attendance based on tickets sold, passed out, or distributed to the opponent. That’s how attendance is calculated.
I have NEVER been to a sold out event where every seat was occupied. There are always no shows
I certainly don’t think Duke has 9,314 fans attending every home game. Always some no shows and sometimes more than capacity due to packing students in the bleachers sideway to create more room.
True!
A great example: We played Tulane in the Superdome. Since it is so large Tulane made it so EVERY student enrolled could simply walk in if they wanted. So, in their mind those were tix distributed and the counted every student as at the game. The attendance was announced as over 20k (Tulane has about 13,000 students). In fact there were most likely less than 5,000 there.

For the one thousand time let’s make this clear. EVERY school and EVERY professional team declare attendance based on tickets sold, passed out, or distributed to the opponent.

Did Sammy steal your account? There are at least three FBS schools, one of which is Navy, that announce their attendance based on actual butts in seats instead of tickets sold. So it’s definitely not “EVERY.”

Did Sammy steal your account? There are at least three FBS schools, one of which is Navy, that announce their attendance based on actual butts in seats instead of tickets sold. So it’s definitely not “EVERY.”

I’ll go with yore answer.
But my basic premise is correct.

Reactions: ThunderDrunk304
Whatever but we all know the attendance for the rest of Marshall’s home games will be low and should clearly let MH know people are dissatisfied with what is going on with the football program. Nothing like declining ticket sales/concessions/beer/programs/merchandise, etc, to make a point. MH interested in the bottom line - MONEY!

Whatever but we all know the attendance for the rest of Marshall’s home games will be low and should clearly let MH know people are dissatisfied with what is going on with the football program. Nothing like declining ticket sales/concessions/beer/programs/merchandise, etc, to make a point. MH interested in the bottom line - MONEY!

Just curious, what would informing him of dissatisfaction accomplish? Would less people in the seats mean a coaching change? Scheduling different in the future (this years OOC was solid IMO)? A new hot dog vendor in the stadium?

Wondering what that solves

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I don't think that holds as true as it used to. I don't know what figure they choose to use, but unlike in years past those two numbers (announced/butts in seats) should more closely mirror each other. For years everyone knows the number announced would reflect the actual ticket sales. Unless you used turn styles that actually worked and were accurately monitored it was difficult to tell. Now all the tickets are electronically scanned as people enter the stadium. There should be zero issues in getting a real time figure on just how many people are actually in stadium.

Now whether they choose to be up front and honest about it choose the bigger number to try and fool everyone who knows.
I'm guessing the scanning of tickets is used more to guard against the same ticket being used for multiple entries. Also, scanning will give you the actual number of people in attendance, but that doesn't count people who have some sort of pass. Season ticket sales, plus ticket office pre- game day sales and game day walkup sales will give you the number of total tickets sold. So you could have any number of figures to count for attendance. Tickets sold and those scanned won't be the same.

Announced: 24k.

Actual: 18k.

From looking at the ticket page for the ODU game, there are a lot of available seats.

And of of Tuesday afternoon, there is a 50% chance of rain Saturday. If the weather looks iffy come Saturday morning, it will kill the walk-up crowd.

From MU Athletics.....

In honor of our armed forces and first responders, you can use the promo code MILITARY19 to receive half-priced tickets in select areas!

Use this promo code online, or come to the ticket office in the Henderson Center in person during normal business office hours with proper identification to receive the discount.

If you cannot make it to the game, you are encouraged to purchase a $10 Military Donation ticket, which will be donated to the veterans attending the game on behalf of the Marshall University Military and Veterans Affairs Division.

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
Obialo read last sentence in my post. Really self-explanatory IMO.

What does that mean though? So less money, does that mean change of coach? Different scheduling? Or just that he is mad because it's less revenue?

I am just curious what fans not showing up changes. A lot of schools have a lot of empty seats. Look at Kansas- they haven't had people in their seats for a long time. That doesn't equate to coaching changes. Let's say Les Miles gets the fan base fired up and they show up more in the next couple of years, and then he goes back to 3-8 typical Kansas. They aren't firing Les Miles for a long time I assure you. So I am just asking, what does it accomplish to have disgruntled fans?

Just curious, what would informing him of dissatisfaction accomplish? Would less people in the seats mean a coaching change? Scheduling different in the future (this years OOC was solid IMO)? A new hot dog vendor in the stadium?

Wondering what that solves

Nothing.
Firing and hiring head coaches (which would likely include entire staffs) costs money.
By not showing up to games, the program loses money.
So you put the program in a position to be unable to do what you want, yet complain because they don't.
Its like gifting your kid with a car that has no gasoline and getting mad at them for not driving it.
Stewart's can vanish and never be seen again. Terrible hot dogs.

Reactions: The Real SamC
What does that mean though? So less money, does that mean change of coach? Different scheduling? Or just that he is mad because it's less revenue?

I am just curious what fans not showing up changes. A lot of schools have a lot of empty seats. Look at Kansas- they haven't had people in their seats for a long time. That doesn't equate to coaching changes. Let's say Les Miles gets the fan base fired up and they show up more in the next couple of years, and then he goes back to 3-8 typical Kansas. They aren't firing Les Miles for a long time I assure you. So I am just asking, what does it accomplish to have disgruntled fans?

The Kansas example is not even remotely relevant to Marshall. Of course empty seats don’t matter there... they make $34.8M a year from the Big 12 TV contract. And of course empty seats don’t get their coach fired, because they are so flush with cash they can hire a name coach who’s won a National Championship for almost $3M/yr despite having a horrible program.

The theory is that ticket sales & game day receipts are much more important for a G5 school like MU, and if the rest of the season is way off from their budget projections it could possibly force the AD’s hand in at least considering a change. This is far from a sure thing with a cash-strapped/hard-headed AD who just started a fundraising campaign for something else, but that’s the idea.

Reactions: HerdnBucks
here is my two cents on the matter. You support the team no matter what. Let's say we have some recruits in for the game. They look around and see a sea of empty seats. I doubt that gets them thinking about playing in Huntington. Look at Nebraska, they sell out even when times are lean. Guess what I expect them to return to the top someday. MH certainly pays attention to wins and losses. You will never convince me Doc keeps his job if we go 3-9 again this year. Will MH continue to give him a contract extension for 8-5 seasons? IDK . I am not convinced of that.

Reactions: HuntersvilleHerd
The Kansas example is not even remotely relevant to Marshall. Of course empty seats don’t matter there... they make $34.8M a year from the Big 12 TV contract. And of
here is my two cents on the matter. You support the team no matter what. Let's say we have some recruits in for the game. They look around and see a sea of empty seats. I doubt that gets them thinking about playing in Huntington. Look at Nebraska, they sell out even when times are lean. Guess what I expect them to return to the top someday. MH certainly pays attention to wins and losses. You will never convince me Doc keeps his job if we go 3-9 again this year. Will MH continue to give him a contract extension for 8-5 seasons? IDK . I am not convinced of that.

Agree 100%

Reactions: whf2

That like of thinking keeps Marshall in a rut. Keeping the same support of a failing program reinforces to Hamrick and the rest of Shewey that things are acceptable.

In Marshall’s current situation, having mediocre results is failing. Continuing the same level of support results in continued mediocrity (failure). On the other hand, if all support were to immediately cease, it would result in a year or two of disastrous results coming up, but it would result in change and the opportunity for the success Marshall has the ability to reach.

It’s taking a momentary step back for the potential of three steps forward.

Obialo first of all we do not even come close to having a coach like Les Miles. Secondly read the last sentence by rifle in the post preceding this.

Obialo first of all we do not even come close to having a coach like Les Miles. Secondly read the last sentence by rifle in the post preceding this.

Problem is...potential weighs much more for a G5 than a P5.
As said, the P5 money alone for existing, is enough to buyout a contract for bad coaching.
G5's run the risk of a bad hire...if anything, the hire wins just enough to get out...and winning just enough isn't nearly what MU fans would consider it.

That like of thinking keeps Marshall in a rut. Keeping the same support of a failing program reinforces to Hamrick and the rest of Shewey that things are acceptable.

In Marshall’s current situation, having mediocre results is failing. Continuing the same level of support results in continued mediocrity (failure). On the other hand, if all support were to immediately cease, it would result in a year or two of disastrous results coming up, but it would result in change and the opportunity for the success Marshall has the ability to reach.

It’s taking a momentary step back for the potential of three steps forward.
I get your point. So here is a question for you since you have college coaching experience. What would you say to a QB you are offering if he showed up Saturday and say about 8,000 people were there?

Doesn't Doc's contract run through the 2020 season? If so, does MH say it's over then and let 2020 be a lame duck season?

Doesn't Doc's contract run through the 2020 season? If so, does MH say it's over then and let 2020 be a lame duck season?
I think next year is his last. It is hard to imagine Doc getting another contract on the heels of say a 7-6 season.

I get your point. So here is a question for you since you have college coaching experience. What would you say to a QB you are offering if he showed up Saturday and say about 8,000 people were there?

I would show him pictures of good crowds with Chad, Byron and Cato at QB and tell him that fans show up when we have a star QB that can revitalize and offense and win games. That could be you.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I would show him pictures of good crowds with Chad, Byron and Cato at QB and tell him that fans show up when we have a star QB that can revitalize and offense and win games. That could be you.
And he'd laugh....

That goes back to knowing when and when not to have kids come in on unofficial visits. Of course, they can always choose when to come on an unofficial, in which case, it's a bad showing. But that was my point of saying that it would lead to a bad couple of years, but it would allow for future improvement with a new staff.

Reactions: ohio herd
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT