ADVERTISEMENT

August smorgasbord - where to start? oh yeah- Johnny Buckets!

W-S HerdFan

Platinum Buffalo
Aug 14, 2002
Sarasota, FL
by WS, cub reporter:
Well, it’s going to be a busy August for herdfans, so let’s get to it,
08/01 will find the MM’s numero uno point guard hopping a flight down to NC as an invited instructor for the CP3 camp in my hometown of Winston Salem. He will have just finished a summertime workout with his TH teammates that a.m. Folks in Huntington are abuzz about the potential for this seasons basketball team. Between the veterans Elmore, Burks,
Watson, Williams, George, West & Theineman you have the newbies: Bennett, who reminds fans of (absolutely no one!) with his size, bulk, soft hands & power in the paint;
the 2 frosh from Ohio, @Cambro and the lean, mean dunking machine Taevon Kinsey. Ante Sustic is a xfer providing length and toughness around the rim. All these guys can/love to shoot the 3! Our latest 304 boys are well represented by Jeremy Dillon, Deandre Murphy and the walk-on from local St Joe HS. Can.......not.......wait......for October to arrive, and I ain’t talking about Halloween!!

Next up: The Freak get his gold jacket! That’s right: the sensational Randy Moss will be inducted into the Pro Football HoF this coming weekend in Canton, OhiO!! He is richly deserving of this honor. Great representative of our state in general & MU in particular.
I hope Herdfans across the USA will tune in for his induction speech. The Rand U grad will be teaming up with MU for a special project benefiting Huntington next summer.

Before you can say MARCO, the 2018-19 edition of men’s basketball jets down to de Bahamian isles for some exhibition games and team bonding. They will leave Mikel Byers, the intriguing big from Texas behind while he finishes up class work from his JUCO, so he will begin officially working out as a member of the team once the Herd gets back from Nassau on the 15th. Coach Dan wants to see how different combinations of this talent-laden group will mesh before the fall practice sessions start. A great chance for the new players to get to know the veterans returning from a record-setting season that saw Marahall grab it’s 1st ever CUSA title, as well as 1st NCAA tourney victory!

Of course, these are just the appetizers for the main course of the month: the return of football season! Doc Holiday’s 8th campaign has many in the River City dreaming of a 2nd conference title and dark horse New Year’s 6 bowl berth. With a wealth of talent returning from last years’ New Mexico bowl champs, three biggest ? marks are @ QB and the kicking game. Gone are Chase Litton, Ryan Yuracheck & Kare Vedvek; all 3 trying to play on Sundays this season in the NFL. Returning most of the starters on both sides of the ball, Marshall is going to have the talent to establish the running game behind a talented group of offensive linemen, most of whom are either Sophs or RS Freshman. The open QB spot will be decided between Grad Xfer Alex Thomson, Isaiah Green and soph Morrell. Marquee game hosting (we SO owe them one) NC State highlights a home schedule that also includes that 10/20 tilt vs FAU. That game could go a long way in deterring which team will rep the Eastin the CUSA title game in early December. By that time, basketball will have started! Like HerdFan sisters said earlier this week: “For the 1st time, I am more excited about basketball season than football season”!
So, what do you think? I am down-right giddy. Gonna be a fantastic year to be a HerdFan!!

.....in W-S,this is WS.

Basketball can't get here fast enough. The team has had workouts a couple times a week since April and it has been fun to watch them. In June the newbies joined in with the exception of Beyers. We did get to see his workout in May and it was quite impressive.
As many on here know I have always been a basketball first guy forever although I have had season tix for both football and basketball for many years.
This could be the first time in maybe forever that BOTH major sports have gained national recognition in the same school year.
Now, it's off to watch the basketball team practice in an hour or so.

by WS, cub reporter:
Well, it’s going to be a busy August for herdfans, so let’s get to it,
08/01 will find the MM’s numero uno point guard hopping a flight down to NC as an invited instructor for the CP3 camp in my hometown of Winston Salem. He will have just finished a summertime workout with his TH teammates that a.m. Folks in Huntington are abuzz about the potential for this seasons basketball team. Between the veterans Elmore, Burks,
Watson, Williams, George, West & Theineman you have the newbies: Bennett, who reminds fans of (absolutely no one!) with his size, bulk, soft hands & power in the paint;
the 2 frosh from Ohio, @Cambro and the lean, mean dunking machine Taevon Kinsey. Ante Sustic is a xfer providing length and toughness around the rim. All these guys can/love to shoot the 3! Our latest 304 boys are well represented by Jeremy Dillon, Deandre Murphy and the walk-on from local St Joe HS. Can.......not.......wait......for October to arrive, and I ain’t talking about Halloween!!

Next up: The Freak get his gold jacket! That’s right: the sensational Randy Moss will be inducted into the Pro Football HoF this coming weekend in Canton, OhiO!! He is richly deserving of this honor. Great representative of our state in general & MU in particular.
I hope Herdfans across the USA will tune in for his induction speech. The Rand U grad will be teaming up with MU for a special project benefiting Huntington next summer.

Before you can say MARCO, the 2018-19 edition of men’s basketball jets down to de Bahamian isles for some exhibition games and team bonding. They will leave Mikel Byers, the intriguing big from Texas behind while he finishes up class work from his JUCO, so he will begin officially working out as a member of the team once the Herd gets back from Nassau on the 15th. Coach Dan wants to see how different combinations of this talent-laden group will mesh before the fall practice sessions start. A great chance for the new players to get to know the veterans returning from a record-setting season that saw Marahall grab it’s 1st ever CUSA title, as well as 1st NCAA tourney victory!

Of course, these are just the appetizers for the main course of the month: the return of football season! Doc Holiday’s 8th campaign has many in the River City dreaming of a 2nd conference title and dark horse New Year’s 6 bowl berth. With a wealth of talent returning from last years’ New Mexico bowl champs, three biggest ? marks are @ QB and the kicking game. Gone are Chase Litton, Ryan Yuracheck & Kare Vedvek; all 3 trying to play on Sundays this season in the NFL. Returning most of the starters on both sides of the ball, Marshall is going to have the talent to establish the running game behind a talented group of offensive linemen, most of whom are either Sophs or RS Freshman. The open QB spot will be decided between Grad Xfer Alex Thomson, Isaiah Green and soph Morrell. Marquee game hosting (we SO owe them one) NC State highlights a home schedule that also includes that 10/20 tilt vs FAU. That game could go a long way in deterring which team will rep the Eastin the CUSA title game in early December. By that time, basketball will have started! Like HerdFan sisters said earlier this week: “For the 1st time, I am more excited about basketball season than football season”!
So, what do you think? I am down-right giddy. Gonna be a fantastic year to be a HerdFan!!

.....in W-S,this is WS.

I like your enthusiasm. The world needs more people like you.

......saw a short clip of Jon doing a drill yday @ CP3. Randy is inducted into Pro HoF in 36 hours. MU b-ball flies to the Bahamas 1 week from today! Oh, I guess I should mention
HERD FOOTBALL 1ST PRACTICE TODAY!!! I totally expect an update.....

Last edited:
Basketball can't get here fast enough. The team has had workouts a couple times a week since April and it has been fun to watch them. In June the newbies joined in with the exception of Beyers. We did get to see his workout in May and it was quite impressive.
As many on here know I have always been a basketball first guy forever although I have had season tix for both football and basketball for many years.
This could be the first time in maybe forever that BOTH major sports have gained national recognition in the same school year.
Now, it's off to watch the basketball team practice in an hour or so.

Practice report please !!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT