ADVERTISEMENT

Band Director Departed

bbneutralfan

Gold Buffalo
Sep 29, 2010
The Marching Thunder band director - Dr. Adam Dalton, has taken the same position at Georgia State University. We will see what happens to the Marshall band now.

Reactions: LynnSept8
The band has steadily gone downhill for several years. Absolutely no entertainment value … I thank him for his service but he should have been gone long before now. Invest some money in the band .. if I’m not mistaken, WVU provides scholarships for their band and they’re phenomenal. Why can’t Marshall do the same? The state gives money to WVU hand over fist while Marshall gets a small pittance. Not a fair set up.

Last edited:
The band has steadily gone downhill for several years. Absolutely no entertainment value … I thank him for his service but he should have been gone long before now. Invest some money in the band or have the Cabell Midland High School Band perform every home game. The band was a huge embarrassment.
Hahaha and Midland, a local HS band to fill in?
Do you realize how big of a laughingstock that would make MU out to be, in a conference that demands MU actually does things and not coast?

The best the band had been for me was 2012-2018ish...when they did the wave, played good music, and had good timing.

Reactions: LynnSept8
My assumption is that band members are mostly future music teachers of West Virginia HSs, right? How much time must a student devote to being in the band? Do we give academic credit? Do they get to the front of the line in scheduling other classes? Etc?

Considering the size of the education college, there is no reason the numbers could not be better.

Do you realize how big of a laughingstock that would make MU out to be, in a conference that demands MU actually does things and not coast?

The best the band had been for me was 2012-2018ish...when they did the wave, played good music, and had good timing.
Midland is way better than MU has been the past few years . Marshall embarrassed themselves every home game … it was like a high school stage band trying to look and sound big. Not!

Midland is good but still high school. And would not be a good look. Come to think of it though the fields our baseball team plays on is kind of embarrassing so what the hell. Bring in Midland😎

Either have a good band, like Ohio and other similar size schools... Or don't have one at all.

I'm fine drinking beers during halftime and listening to random rap songs over the PA... Maybe throw some pee wee league kids out there and let them play a quarter, or dogs catching Frisbees, or whatever.

Midland is way better than MU has been the past few years . Marshall embarrassed themselves every home game … it was like a high school stage band trying to look and sound big. Not!
I agree. Hopefully things will change for the better quickly

Either have a good band, like Ohio and other similar size schools... Or don't have one at all.

I'm fine drinking beers during halftime and listening to random rap songs over the PA... Maybe throw some pee wee league kids out there and let them play a quarter, or dogs catching Frisbees, or whatever.
Maybe have a musical theme each game. 70’s, 80’s, rock, sports anthems, anything is better than the shit they play now. Talk about mind numbing. Lol!

Reactions: RhinoD
Maybe have a musical theme each game. 70’s, 80’s, rock, sports anthems, anything is better than the shit they play now. Talk about mind numbing. Lol!
Mountain Music by Alabama... Just because WVU somehow has the rights to Country Roads is the most chicken shit thing I've seen in a while. It's a constant joke in our section.

Also, the Beatles medly, from 1964... Billy Jean... David Bowie medly from the mid 70s... All crammed together with no rhyme or reason, all terrible.

I'd be all for some themes.

You have a better option?

My assumption is that band members are mostly future music teachers of West Virginia HSs, right? How much time must a student devote to being in the band? Do we give academic credit? Do they get to the front of the line in scheduling other classes? Etc?

Considering the size of the education college, there is no reason the numbers could not be better.
I was in the band 50 years ago. At that time, instrumental majors were required to be in the band but the majority of members were not majors, just former HS band members who enjoyed the Band and loved Herd football (which was tough to do then)

We put in 8-10 hours each week to prepare, usually 4-6pm each day, seems like I remember a couple of days of band camp before Fall semester started.

We got 1 hour of credit each semester and I think they get a small stipend now.

We went to one away game each year usually to a MAC school. In my 4 years I went to 3.
In 1970 our scheduled away game was Ohio.

Last edited:

One of my friends was in the band and was a Yeager Scholar, she is now Pathologist.

Most band members are not music majors. When I was there in the early 2000's we practiced 6 hours a week. Our drumline practiced about another 6 hours/week on top of that. We got a one hour credit for the class.

Reactions: HerdInChicago
You have a better option?
Yeah, NOT putting a craptastic HS band on a D1 college football field as the school band, for one.

People want to say Ohio U has a good band, they absolutely do, but they invest money into it.
Not sure how much money MU puts into the band, but by all means, we can funnel more funds into it, to improve the direction of it and demand more.

But that'd mean...<gasp> your toilets and urinals in the Joan would be ignored again.

I'm not sure about MU, but scholarships are given out for band.
You not only need to get into the school, but you'll have to audition to get into the band itself.

I imagine band has grown to be much more of a focus for members within, more class time learning formations, songs, cues, etc.
I used to see/hear them on the field at least 3 days a week practicing movements and songs during football season.

It was a suggestion, GoHerdMarshallyes .. how about some ideas from you since you think you have all the answers?

It was a suggestion, GoHerdMarshallyes .. how about some ideas from you since you think you have all the answers?

Well, for one, the mere fact you took your suggestion seriously about an entire HS band in WV to replace a D1 school who was added to a conference for its current look and upward tragectory is absolutely counter productive but I digress.

I am not in band, never have been, never will be.
Since we're all well aware of the disorganization of the band, PA, and DJ during games, I'll strictly stick to the halftime part.
The band needs to figure out what it can realistically do.
You will not get osu's band or even ohio u's band, unless you want to either:
Pay more at games (MU fans a cheapskates so no).
Let MU advertise more during games (you complain about rap music so anything is a "no").
Or MU just says, "Screw it, we're cutting our Athletic Budget to focus on band."

So, what can you do? Get creative. Yeah, it starts with a band director but I'd actually consider hiring, part-time if possible, a show choir type director. Why? He/she would have ideas on how to mix and match various songs and musical instruments to themes. The music and the concepts of putting them into motion is the problem with MU.
Anyone ever seen Hurricane HS' show choir? Their director puts them on a whole other level...imagine just the performance part of that, with our band, which is what it lacks.
That, and plenty of you all dislike the pop culture references because you're too out of touch to know what they are...and complain the band sounds bad when they're just playing songs you've never heard.

I'd consider, if it just means a band director, going the Grassie route. Look for a band director at a lower level, whose band has won competitions and is well known by the fans as putting on a good show.
Hire that person, to move up with a larger band, (probably) a bigger budget, and let them take over.

The band needs better creative direction and some improved showmanship for halftime.

Also, not sure how often tbe band does this, but enter some competitions around the country. Certainly helps to see where you are against other programs. Plis the constant practice wouldn't hurt either.

Last edited:
Well, for one, the mere fact you took your suggestion seriously about an entire HS band in WV to replace a D1 school who was added to a conference for its current look and upward tragectory is absolutely counter productive but I digress.

I am not in band, never have been, never will be.
Since we're all well aware of the disorganization of the band, PA, and DJ during games, I'll strictly stick to the halftime part.
The band needs to figure out what it can realistically do.
You will not get osu's band or even ohio u's band, unless you want to either:
Pay more at games (MU fans a cheapskates so no).
Let MU advertise more during games (you complain about rap music so anything is a "no").
Or MU just says, "Screw it, we're cutting our Athletic Budget to focus on band."

So, what can you do? Get creative. Yeah, it starts with a band director but I'd actually consider hiring, part-time if possible, a show choir type director. Why? He/she would have ideas on how to mix and match various songs and musical instruments to themes. The music and the concepts of putting them into motion is the problem with MU.
Anyone ever seen Hurricane HS' show choir? Their director puts them on a whole other level...imagine just the performance part of that, with our band, which is what it lacks.
That, and plenty of you all dislike the pop culture references because you're too out of touch to know what they are...and complain the band sounds bad when they're just playing songs you've never heard.

I'd consider, if it just means a band director, going the Grassie route. Look for a band director at a lower level, whose band has won competitions and is well known by the fans as putting on a good show.
Hire that person, to move up with a larger band, (probably) a bigger budget, and let them take over.

The band needs better creative direction and some improved showmanship for halftime.

Also, not sure how often tbe band does this, but enter some competitions around the country. Certainly helps to see where you are against other programs. Plis the constant practice wouldn't hurt either.
Show choir?!?!?! Hahahahahahahahahahjajahahaha. That’s a worse idea than the midland band

Show choir?!?!?! Hahahahahahahahahahjajahahaha. That’s a worse idea than the midland band
I said the director as a partial idea/collaborator for showmanship for the band itself, not the director of the whole thing, you dolt.
The MU band has literally no energy or motion when it does its routines, it goes through said motions and that's it.
It's called creativity, you want someone who does not only music but has some sense of mixing it with a theme to make a presentable melody.
Someone with experience taking a theme and making it work, with limitations like say, a show choir type who only has voices, give them a whole band and they'll apply some coordination and presentability, presents it to the band director who directs the band itself.
Both MU and ohio u did routines to Bruno Mars, some were the same songs, and guess who would have crushed the other heads up?
Then again, thinking outside the box for sheltered fools like yourself, may be a stretch to even consider.
Hell, even Huff's ideas like a DJ from a program like Bama gets doubts and is questioned and mocked by simple minded fools like you so your lack of depth in cognitive processing isn't a shocker.

I said the director as a partial idea/collaborator for showmanship for the band itself, not the director of the whole thing, you dolt.
The MU band has literally no energy or motion when it does its routines, it goes through said motions and that's it.
It's called creativity, you want someone who does not only music but has some sense of mixing it with a theme to make a presentable melody.
Someone with experience taking a theme and making it work, with limitations like say, a show choir type who only has voices, give them a whole band and they'll apply some coordination and presentability, presents it to the band director who directs the band itself.
Both MU and ohio u did routines to Bruno Mars, some were the same songs, and guess who would have crushed the other heads up?
Then again, thinking outside the box for sheltered fools like yourself, may be a stretch to even consider.
Hell, even Huff's ideas like a DJ from a program like Bama gets doubts and is questioned and mocked by simple minded fools like you so your lack of depth in cognitive processing isn't a shocker.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT