ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball

riflearm2

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Dec 8, 2004
This may be the worst Marshall baseball team in 30+ years. They are currently 4-17 overall and 0-10 in C-USA.

As a team, they strikeout every three at bats. They have a team ERA of 7.23.

Reactions: Herdsavedme

Is the lack of facilities catching up and a contributing factor?

Is the lack of facilities catching up and a contributing factor?
We have never had a true facility in the history of our program. I don’t think this year it’s suddenly made a difference. I just don’t think we are very good. We have had good teams in CUSA even without a facility.

The facility issue is definitely a factor in us ever being a great program especially in a good baseball conference like CUSA but it definitely doesn’t make us terrible like we are this year.

Reactions: Diamond Duke
You would think the IPF would help. What college recruit would look at our field on Rt 2 and say - I’m coming here to play.
Many high schools have better fields.

Reactions: Diamond Duke
We have never had a true facility in the history of our program. I don’t think this year it’s suddenly made a difference. I just don’t think we are very good. We have had good teams in CUSA even without a facility.

The facility issue is definitely a factor in us ever being a great program especially in a good baseball conference like CUSA but it definitely doesn’t make us terrible like we are this year.
Understand all that. Just asking. You can generally just kick the can so far down the road before it catches up with you, in this instance possibly affecting recruiting, team morale, etc.

I have coached youth baseball and high school tennis so my springs have been full and therefore know virtually nothing about the MU baseball program so I was curious for others' opinions. Appreciate the response and insight.

The only MU spring sports I have seen in the last 30+ years were the MU softball teams playing in the NCAA at Lexington when we were playing in the high school state tournament at UK.

You would think the IPF would help. What college recruit would look at our field on Rt 2 and say - I’m coming here to play.
Many high schools have better fields.
As I stated in a previous post I know virtually nothing about the situation other than the lack of an acceptable facility but that is a gut feeling of mine as well, especially when the same recruits see other teams' facilities.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
When I attended Marshall, the team played at a facility in the west end of Huntington named St. Cloud Commons. I attended one game there. Never went back.

Last edited:
Now 0-12 in CUSA play and 4-19 overall after being swept at WKU. Just another example of the "outstanding" decade plus long "leadership" of MU's overall Athletics Department under Mike Hamrick, IMO. Need for a change at the top couldn't be stronger!

Reactions: HerdGrad1999
I don't think our failures in baseball are what we should use as the indicator of whether or not Mike Hamrick has been successful. While there does seem to be a few people who care enough about baseball to wish for new facilities, I can't see any scenario where it ever earns the school any money. Can't exactly fault those in charge for failing to invest money where it is likely to never generate continuously positive revenue. That said, I'm certainly no expert on the finances of running a baseball team, so I may be way off base.

Marshall baseball can be successful and generate enough income to offset a large part of the expense. When I played for MU in the early 70s we played at St. Cloud Park in west Huntington. Not a bad facility until heavy rains forced home games to be moved elsewhere. Coach Waggoner is an awesome coach and if/when he and the program are provided with a nice on campus field success will be a challenge. I remember him taking the Herd to the CUSA championship game and losing a close one to Houston. The tournament was at Tulane and I was there. Ever been to a baseball game at Southern Miss? It’s an event, and can be the same at Marshall. Mike Hamrick has a vision for that to happen. “Build it and they will come” and so will Herd baseball success! GO HERD!!!!⚾️

For whatever reason the promises that get made for baseball never come to pass. You can't put that on Hamrick when it's been the case forever. Literally.

I have lost track of how many times we've been told of plans.

Maybe they can't drum up enough donors for a new stadium or at least one worth building.

I know it's anecdotal, but I have never met a college baseball fan. I've met college football, MBB, WBB, and even soccer fans. I've never met someone that's an actual college baseball fan. Not that they don't like the sport or watch the CWS, but someone that actually follows a team and knows the players.

That may be the problem. It just doesn't produce enough interest to get more of the athletic budget allocated for facilities or enough people wanting to write checks.

It sucks. I wish we had one, but there has to be some reason that it never has gotten done and I don't think it's just that Marshall doesn't care.

For whatever reason the promises that get made for baseball never come to pass. You can't put that on Hamrick when it's been the case forever. Literally.

Maybe they can't drum up enough donors for a new stadium or at least one worth building.

I know it's anecdotal, but I have never met a college baseball fan. I've met college football, MBB, WBB, and even soccer fans. I've never met someone that's an actual college baseball fan. Not that they don't like the sport or watch the CWS, but someone that actually follows a team and knows the players.

That may be the problem. It just doesn't produce enough interest to get more of the athletic budget allocated for facilities or enough people wanting to write checks.

It sucks. I wish we had one, but there has to be some reason that it never has gotten done and I don't think it's just that Marshall doesn't care.
I have seen many when some visiting teams come here for games. Rice fans always travel well here as did Tulane and Houston. ECU had plenty as well.

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)

Hello, very nice to meet you.

The folks in Charleston just need to allocate the money and add it to the private gifts. It is beyond the scope of reason that we are in 2021 without a on campus baseball stadium.

The folks in Charleston just need to allocate the money and add it to the private gifts. It is beyond the scope of reason that we are in 2021 without a on campus baseball stadium.
The good folks in Charleston just cut our budget by a much higher percentage than the chosen school up north. They'll do everything they can to lessen MU's influence with the ultimate goal of making it - WVU- Huntington. JMHO.

College baseball is a niche market for fan support... It's actually a lot like women's basketball in that regard... In the 25-30 college towns where the women's basketball team is on a nationally relevant level, the program does well, sells tickets, builds interest, etc. Baseball is the same – big at a handful of schools (traditional winning programs) in a handful of leagues (Pac12, Big 12, CUSA, SEC, ACC). It garners very little national interest until the CWS, much like women's basketball doesn't draw much national interest until the Sweet 16.

Personally, I enjoy college baseball and I go to a couple of games a year between MU and WCU (even better in years when they play each other) but it's not a priority like football or men's basketball, and honestly, it never will be. Not for me, MU administration, the state legislature, or the general public.

The good folks in Charleston just cut our budget by a much higher percentage than the chosen school up north. They'll do everything they can to lessen MU's influence with the ultimate goal of making it - WVU- Huntington. JMHO.
You are exactly right. Woefell/Plymale in the Senate are quoted in the paper of voicing their concerns, but they are democrats. Meanwhile I have read nothing about the Republicans Maynard, Maroney or Tarr (who are part of Republican supermajority) speaking out. I think the same goes for the house.

People "if" you are republican and care about Marshall you better make sure these Legislatures know you care about Marshall just as much as you do about the National issues or it is going to get worse.

Reactions: ThunderDrunk304
You are exactly right. Woefell/Plymale in the Senate are quoted in the paper of voicing their concerns, but they are democrats. Meanwhile I have read nothing about the Republicans Maynard, Maroney or Tarr (who are part of Republican supermajority) speaking out. I think the same goes for the house.

People "if" you are republican and care about Marshall you better make sure these Legislatures know you care about Marshall just as much as you do about the National issues or it is going to get worse.
Just my opinion but higher education shouldn't be a partisan issue. If people in Charleston don't value higher education and education in general to try to move this state forward, then I don't know what to think; other than they are terribly clueless.
WV is the ONLY state to lose population in the last 70 years. Look it up. Idiots in Charleston.

Out of curiosity, I looked up Marshall's baseball all time record and quickly found this.

Marshall has an all-time record of 1,363–1,532–12 (at end of 2016 season, 110 seasons all-time since 1896). So add in the last 5 years and I am guessing it is relatively the same.

They won conference titles below. Haven't won a title since 1981

WVAC: 1928, 1929, 1930, 1931
Buckeye: 1933, 1934, 1935
Southern: 1978, 1981

Growing up around Huntington, I don't ever remember Marshall baseball as being stellar. I remember some of their teams were basically local high school all star teams that ended up going to Marshall. I remember a few players that played there going how the hell did that guy play college ball?

Now 0-12 in CUSA play and 4-19 overall after being swept at WKU. Just another example of the "outstanding" decade plus long "leadership" of MU's overall Athletics Department under Mike Hamrick, IMO. Need for a change at the top couldn't be stronger!
This post couldn't be more wrong. But thats expected, 1 really bad season, combined with the BS the world is still currently facing, and people around here are already throwing in the towel.

I don't think our failures in baseball are what we should use as the indicator of whether or not Mike Hamrick has been successful. While there does seem to be a few people who care enough about baseball to wish for new facilities, I can't see any scenario where it ever earns the school any money. Can't exactly fault those in charge for failing to invest money where it is likely to never generate continuously positive revenue. That said, I'm certainly no expert on the finances of running a baseball team, so I may be way off base.
Name one sport that generates positive revenue at Marshall other than football or mens basketball.

Mississippi State fans would like to have a word with you...
I imagine there are quite a bit of NCAA baseball fans and those with a loyal following, just not around here.
Places like Cal State Fullterton or UC Santa Barbara are smaller schools with solid baseball history, some more recent but still.

This post couldn't be more wrong. But thats expected, 1 really bad season, combined with the BS the world is still currently facing, and people around here are already throwing in the towel.

He's been Marshall's head coach for 14 seasons (not counting last year when C-USA games weren't played). In his 14 seasons of C-USA play, he has had one winning season within the conference. In 15 seasons of overall play, he's had two winning seasons.

Now, with the lack of facilities Marshall has compared to most (but not all) of the other teams in C-USA, I don't expect Marshall to compete for the conference championship. But we've only been competitive in the conference in about 5 of the 14 seasons, and by "competitive," I mean that it's alright to have a losing conference record but at least have a heartbeat. And for about 2/3 of the seasons, we haven't had a heartbeat within the conference.

Claiming "1 really bad season" is not accurate.

. I remember some of their teams were basically local high school all star teams that ended up going to Marshall. I remember a few players that played there going how the hell did that guy play college ball?

It was like that for a long time until the late 90s. When I came on board, it was the tri-state all stars sprinkled in with some other kids. That quickly changed to where those teams had multiple kids from Kansas, multiple kids from Oklahoma, multiple kids from Nebraska, multiple kids from Canada, a kid from South Carolina, a kid from Wyoming, and then the usual kids from WV, KY, OH, and VA.

The new staff recruits a lot more of Florida kids but still are going outside of the hollers to find better talent.

Reactions: HerditAllBefore
Mississippi State fans would like to have a word with you...
I imagine there are quite a bit of NCAA baseball fans and those with a loyal following, just not around here.
Places like Cal State Fullterton or UC Santa Barbara are smaller schools with solid baseball history, some more recent but still.
That doesn't change what I said at all. I'm talking about the casual sports fans. I have never heard water cooler talk about that latest college baseball game. You could poll 1000 casual college sports fans and I bet not one could name a single current college baseball player. You could probably go as far as asking them if they knew "insert top player name" and you would get nothing, but I bet if name the top football or MBB player you'd get more reaction.

I didn't say that there aren't schools out there with fan bases. Just that college baseball as a whole does not draw like football or basketball and when you're a school like Marshall with a small budget you have to spend the money where you can make the money.

The bottom line is if we had enough fans that thought a baseball stadium was necessary then we would have one. It didn't take that much effort to get the IAF built. I was only 9 when the Joan was built, but I bet people willingly gave.

I would almost guarantee if you sent out forms to every Marshall fan for donations and asked them to choose between a new basketball arena or baseball field I wouldn't be shocked if more donations came in for the basketball arena.

I would love for our baseball team to have a field, but evidently there's a lot more to this issue than what we know or we would have had one at some point in our existence.

He's been Marshall's head coach for 14 seasons (not counting last year when C-USA games weren't played). In his 14 seasons of C-USA play, he has had one winning season within the conference. In 15 seasons of overall play, he's had two winning seasons.

Now, with the lack of facilities Marshall has compared to most (but not all) of the other teams in C-USA, I don't expect Marshall to compete for the conference championship. But we've only been competitive in the conference in about 5 of the 14 seasons, and by "competitive," I mean that it's alright to have a losing conference record but at least have a heartbeat. And for about 2/3 of the seasons, we haven't had a heartbeat within the conference.

It was like that for a long time until the late 90s. When I came on board, it was the tri-state all stars sprinkled in with some other kids. That quickly changed to where those teams had multiple kids from Kansas, multiple kids from Oklahoma, multiple kids from Nebraska, multiple kids from Canada, a kid from South Carolina, a kid from Wyoming, and then the usual kids from WV, KY, OH, and VA.

The new staff recruits a lot more of Florida kids but still are going outside of the hollers to find better talent.

Its been admitted that MU baseball has never really been good and yes, some has to do with a lack of a facility, but mostly because of how the program recruits it seems.
So what is "acceptable" for a program with whatever limited resources they have if MU isn't expected to win a conference championship but to be competitive? MU has beaten some good teams despite not being good themselves.

Its been admitted that MU baseball has never really been good and yes, some has to do with a lack of a facility, but mostly because of how the program recruits it seems.

Marshall's lack of baseball success overwhelmingly has to do with facilities. You aren't going to out recruit places like Southern Miss, Rice, Louisiana Tech, FIU, MTSU, Charlotte, etc. that all have legit, on-campus baseball stadiums, locker rooms, and some dedicated indoor baseball facilities.

So what is "acceptable" for a program with whatever limited resources they have if MU isn't expected to win a conference championship but to be competitive?

Having a heartbeat. 10-13 in C-USA? Acceptable. 5-19 in C-USA? Unacceptable.

Marshall's lack of baseball success overwhelmingly has to do with facilities. You aren't going to out recruit places like Southern Miss, Rice, Louisiana Tech, FIU, MTSU, Charlotte, etc. that all have legit, on-campus baseball stadiums, locker rooms, and some dedicated indoor baseball facilities.

I'll take that then.

Not having an on campus stadium is a complete embarrassment. I don't care if they have to sell cupcakes at the football games they need to figure out how to get this project done.

Not trying to oversimplify things but what was the final cost of the softball stadium? $4 million or so? If so why does MU need to build a $22 million baseball stadium? Couldn't an acceptable stadium be built for $10 - $12 million along the lines of the softball stadium and designed with room for future expansion? A little foresight might be all that is needed. Something has got to be better than nothing at all.

I do recall hearing there were issues with the proposed location that might affect the total cost though. Utilities or sewer lines that needed to be relocated? Additonal cost to the project to relocate?

Reactions: ohio herd
Not trying to oversimplify things but what was the final cost of the softball stadium? $4 million or so? If so why does MU need to build a $22 million baseball stadium? Couldn't an acceptable stadium be built for $10 - $12 million along the lines of the softball stadium and designed with room for future expansion? A little foresight might be all that is needed. Something has got to be better than nothing at all.

I do recall hearing there were issues with the proposed location that might affect the total cost though. Utilities or sewer lines that needed to be relocated? Additonal cost to the project to relocate?
I was thinking it was trying to build a stadium that meets the C-USA standard. Seems like they could build one with room to upgrade in the future if they can't afford it all now. Has to be better than having a field on rt 2

I was thinking it was trying to build a stadium that meets the C-USA standard. Seems like they could build one with room to upgrade in the future if they can't afford it all now. Has to be better than having a field on rt 2
Gotcha. Wonder if it was spec'd out to meet or exceed CUSA standards and if there is any room to build in stages to get in quicker and cheaper? As you said anything has to be better than having nothing on or near campus.

I remember this catcher from up North. Hell of a ball player. Marshall's own version of Bo Jackson, but played catcher.

I remember this catcher from up North. Hell of a ball player. Marshall's own version of Bo Jackson, but played catcher.
I forgot about him. Didn't he go undrafted even though good catchers are hard to find?

I forgot about him. Didn't he go undrafted even though good catchers are hard to find?
We should bring that guy on board to spearhead the drive for the baseball stadium. He could probably suck blood out of a dead turnip. Then, when the stadium's built, he could be the coach. I have herd he had a rifle of an arm to throw out runners at second base.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT