ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Arena

greengeezer

Platinum Buffalo
Dec 25, 2007
If. Marshall were to have the opportunity to sell more tickets than the lower level could hold, would the tarps on the upper levels be removed or are those sections gone for good?

Last edited:
Reactions: goherdorgohome2
Handrails are a must. But I was told that there is not enough room for them. Hogwash. Put them in.

If that were to happen they really need some handrails and would be nice if they could replace a few rows with some type of chairback seats. JMO
Have suggested that for some time now. Measure the linear feet of bleachers in each upper row. Then calculate how many standard chairback seats could be fitted into the same linear space. Get cost estimates on removing the bleacher seats and brackets to which they are attached. Get cost of installing chairback seats into the same space OR a reduced amount of linear space with additional space allocated to WIDEN the upper stairways which would provide enough SPACE to properly install handrails for the remainder of the arena steps to the top.

As ole H. Ross Perot would say "Problem solved"! I will leave the issue of financing the project in the capable hands of Athletic Director Spears, President Smith and company!! ;);)

Last edited:
Reactions: whf2
If. Marshall were to have the opportunity to sell more tickets than the lower level could hold, would the tarps on the upper levels be removed or are those sections gone for good?
If we were to host WVU in the first round of the NIT in March we could sell every one of those seats! Been a while since we kicked their asses in Huntington!

If we were to host WVU in the first round of the NIT in March we could sell every one of those seats! Been a while since we kicked their asses in Huntington!
Fun idea, but never going to happen... WVU has 5 of their next 6 games against ranked opponents. They are going to be lucky to finish the season above .500, thus they will not be making the NIT.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Fun idea, but never going to happen... WVU has 5 of their next 6 games against ranked opponents. They are going to be lucky to finish the season above .500, thus they will not be making the NIT.
Except they won today, by 3… :(

Saw the box score in a WV Media paper of the HERD win over GA State on Saturday. It listed the current seating capacity at the CAM as 5400 and something. It also listed the official crowd at the game as 5600 and something. Does that mean that for that impressive and decisive HERD performance, The CAM had 200 or more people stretched out on top of the tarps on both the North and South sides of the arena taking in the action??

Saw the box score in a WV Media paper of the HERD win over GA State on Saturday. It listed the current seating capacity at the CAM as 5400 and something. It also listed the official crowd at the game as 5600 and something. Does that mean that for that impressive and decisive HERD performance, The CAM had 200 or more people stretched out on top of the tarps on both the North and South sides of the arena taking in the action??
We are selling that as "beach seating"... Come lay on the tarp, a waiter brings fruity drinks, Buffet plays in the background the whole game.

On a side note, I get tarping parts of the football stadium if they aren't being used... Especially if they are parts in the end zone we are going to eventually remove anyway... But putting tarps over indoor arena seats is shitty. It looks cheap on television and basically concedes that we will never need these seats. If I turn on a game and see tarps inside the basketball arena, my first thought is "small time program."

We are selling that as "beach seating"... Come lay on the tarp, a waiter brings fruity drinks, Buffet plays in the background the whole game.

On a side note, I get tarping parts of the football stadium if they aren't being used... Especially if they are parts in the end zone we are going to eventually remove anyway... But putting tarps over indoor arena seats is shitty. It looks cheap on television and basically concedes that we will never need these seats. If I turn on a game and see tarps inside the basketball arena, my first thought is "small time program."
100 % agree...keep them open , if there is not a fanny in those seats , so what?

100% agree. Tarping off seats outdoors makes, sadly, some sense. In an indoor arena? Why? Just put up some velvet ropes and some signs that say "this section is closed" so you don't have to clean the area and don't have kids messing around up in the non-chair back seats, and go with it.

Where are the middle schoolers smoking and playing grab ass now that those seats are closed.

Reactions: RhinoD
According to Herdmeister they were tarped because of no handrails and alcohol now being served in the arena. Lawsuit liability.

According to Herdmeister they were tarped because of no handrails and alcohol now being served in the arena. Lawsuit liability.
C'mon guys. Those upper bleachers have been there for over 40 years. And now we have a problem? Something doesn't add up here. If we continue to win as we have this season we might need those seats.

Reactions: The Real SamC
We just started selling alcohol this season and that's what the issue is concerning the absence of handrails.

Reactions: FreddyReef
I believe this is about the price of seating (ticket revenue) more than anything else at this point. They sold the bleacher seats for like $5, right? It was not uncommon to see people move from the bleachers down to the chairbacks after the games got started. Now, they have eliminated the $5 tickets and the cheapest you can get (barring a last minute promotion) is $15. Attendance is a little higher this year than two or three years ago (last time we had a competitive team), however, ticket revenue has to be much higher due to this move by the department.

I believe this is about the price of seating (ticket revenue) more than anything else at this point. They sold the bleacher seats for like $5, right? It was not uncommon to see people move from the bleachers down to the chairbacks after the games got started. Now, they have eliminated the $5 tickets and the cheapest you can get (barring a last minute promotion) is $15. Attendance is a little higher this year than two or three years ago (last time we had a competitive team), however, ticket revenue has to be much higher due to this move by the department.
Agree. The liquor story is 100% BS. They tarped off the cheap seats to force people to buy the chairbacks, and so the DD non-farewell cupcake tour can claim "sellout" games.

This is a token effort.

Agree. The liquor story is 100% BS. They tarped off the cheap seats to force people to buy the chairbacks, and so the DD non-farewell cupcake tour can claim "sellout" games.

This is a token effort.
I highly doubt anyone is the AD made this decision so they could potentially beat their drum and scream "sellouts". Sure it's nice to claim a sport is selling out its venue, but this is about money.
Your desire to twist every decision back to somehow support your token effort theory is idiotic. The effort to put a superior product on the floor this year vs last is on full display. Your refusal to acknowledge it speaks more about you than the state of the basketball program.

100% Herd fan. Which is why, unlike apparently you, demand serious efforts by serious people. MU basketball is not that. It is a token effort.

If you want a circle jerk of people talking delusionally about a C- thing being awesome, become a Spamite or Ohio State fan. That is all you see on their boards.

100% Herd fan. Which is why, unlike apparently you, demand serious efforts by serious people. MU basketball is not that. It is a token effort.

If you want a circle jerk of people talking delusionally about a C- thing being awesome, become a Spamite or Ohio State fan. That is all you see on their boards.
Since you are a 100% fan, answer this. Is this team substantially better than the previous 2 years? Are you an active supporter (actually goes to games, donates, etc) of the program? Can you point to ANY post I made claiming that MU basketball is "awesome"? Hell, I think D'Antoni has overstayed his time. I hope this is the last year of his tenure. Your constant knuckle shuffling of yourself while regurgitating "token effort" is what is delusional and why just about everyone on here thinks you are a moron. I wouldn't know what goes on on other boards, because I don't visit boards of teams I'm not a fan of. The fact that you do speaks volumes of where your loyalty lies. What's the traffic like on the New Mexico State board?

Since you are a 100% fan, answer this. Is this team substantially better than the previous 2 years? Are you an active supporter (actually goes to games, donates, etc) of the program? Can you point to ANY post I made claiming that MU basketball is "awesome"? Hell, I think D'Antoni has overstayed his time. I hope this is the last year of his tenure. Your constant knuckle shuffling of yourself while regurgitating "token effort" is what is delusional and why just about everyone on here thinks you are a moron. I wouldn't know what goes on on other boards, because I don't visit boards of teams I'm not a fan of. The fact that you do speaks volumes of where your loyalty lies. What's the traffic like on the New Mexico State board?
Forgive him, he's only giving a token effort

ADVERTISEMENT