ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball: Top Unsigned Grad Transfers

With the recent loss of Terrence Thompson there have been rumors flying around Coach D and his staff are looking to add a grad transfer for the upcoming 2017-18 season.

Here's a pretty good breakdown of the best ones available. A couple of name should be very familiar to MU fans: https://cbbcentral.wordpress.com/20...ransfers-that-will-impact-the-2017-18-season/

Believe first day of classes at MU is around the 14th or so and probably last day one can enroll for the fall semester is probably about a week or so later. Would definitely have to be here by then. Perhaps DD is waiting down to the wire for the word on Iran's potential eligibility.

Believe first day of classes at MU is around the 14th or so and probably last day one can enroll for the fall semester is probably about a week or so later. Would definitely have to be here by then. Perhaps DD is waiting down to the wire for the word on Iran's potential eligibility.
Danny is in contact with a couple grad transfers. Nothing has been worked out yet. If we don't get one, you can expect to see the redshirt on Darius to come off.

I feel like we've probably seen the apex of D'Antoni's potential as coach. He just can't get the players in here to get above the level of being 3rd-4th best in C-USA. I hate to say it, but after losing Taylor, Loop, and Thompson, and replacing them with TBD, TBD and TBD, 2017-18 might be a 10-win season.

Reactions: Herd Fever
I feel like we've probably seen the apex of D'Antoni's potential as coach. He just can't get the players in here to get above the level of being 3rd-4th best in C-USA. I hate to say it, but after losing Taylor, Loop, and Thompson, and replacing them with TBD, TBD and TBD, 2017-18 might be a 10-win season.
Silly. 10 wins?

I disagree, DD's recruiting classes have gotten better every year, what makes you think it will stop now? We are winning now and more recruits will notice. We just have to have time. This is not an excuse for being bad because we are not bad in the least, but the recruiting gets better every year. The good thing about DD is that he is the exact opposite of Doc. Dantoni can take a regular player and coach him up to his full talent, imagine what it will look like in a couple years with the recruits we already have.

Okay, I'll give you these two guys - they're just role-players and not really stars by any stretch of the imagination, but at least they've bounced a basketball in a live game:

Burks - 9.8 PPG, 2.6 RPG, 2.3 APG
Peneva - 6.1 PPG, 3.9 RPG

The rest of your list though....

Bennett - Academically Ineligible
Williams - Has yet to play in a D-I game
George - Has yet to play in a D-I game
West - Has yet to play in a D-I game
Watson - 3.1 PPG, 1.6 RPG, 1.0 APG (in mop-up duty at Wake Forest)

....yeah that might be wishful thinking. I hope you're right, but don't count your All-Conference players before your eggs hatch.

Okay, I'll give you these two guys - they're just role-players and not really stars by any stretch of the imagination, but at least they've bounced a basketball in a live game:

....yeah that might be wishful thinking. I hope you're right, but don't count your All-Conference players before your eggs hatch.

Watson played quite a bit his sophomore year at Wake. He averaged 15 minutes/game and played 17+ against the likes of UCLA, Louisville, Duke, UNC and Notre Dame.

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth

While I completely understand your concerns, the same concerns have been tossed before when many laughed at the idea that a DII transfer (Browning), a VMI transfer (Elmore), a prop from WV (Burks), a transfer who came off the bench for Miami (Kelly), and a JUCO who wasn't highly recruited (Thompson) could make a difference and have is competing in CUSA again.

You just proved my point, the best recruits have been the most recent. DD has only have 2 full years of recruiting, his first "class" was rushed because he was hired so late, but he made the best out of it I would think. Say what you will about our current roster, but they play very well in the system we have and I would put them up against any Marshall Basketball team that has been at MU since I have been alive.

True, because the best recruits are always the ones who haven't played yet.

Hey, you were the one who said that these recruits weren't better than 3-4th in conference. How can you judge them if they haven't played then? All I am saying is that the current freshman class looks pretty exceptional so far. I think we will be fine.

You just proved my point, the best recruits have been the most recent. DD has only have 2 full years of recruiting, his first "class" was rushed because he was hired so late, but he made the best out of it I would think. Say what you will about our current roster, but they play very well in the system we have and I would put them up against any Marshall Basketball team that has been at MU since I have been alive.

Don't quite know how old you are, but until the results are in this season, I wouldn't want to put too much cash on a bet on how this team would fare against one or two of Greg White's Herd teams or one of Billy Donovan's green and white teams with Jason Williams!!

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
True, because the best recruits are always the ones who haven't played yet.
I watch them play everyday, as I have done in other years. These guys are much more fun, aggressive etc. They fit the system that Danny wants to play.

I think it comes down to how you view last season. Was it a 20 win season where we almost won the conference tournament? Or was it a losing campaign until a late run in the conference tournament saved our season?

Did we shed average players, playing above their station, soon to be replaced by bona-fide stud recruits? Or did we lose the core players (Browning, Loop, Taylor) D'Antoni had relied on so far, without having experienced underclassmen on the roster ready to take their place?

I think its going to be a bumpy year, even if the recruits are legitimate. I'm hopeful to see some continuity established on the roster though - kids recruited to play here, who play four years. This business of bringing in JUCOs and transfers who play as little as one season and leave with eligibility remaining is no way to build a program. That's done through recruiting, and even you guys have to admit DD's work in that area hasn't been stellar to this point. Maybe this is where that changes though.

licious I completely agree with your estimation regarding a large influx of JUCOs. Shades of Tom Herrion on that. Can't build a true program on players that only give you a year or two. Need a solid corps of HS players.

licious I completely agree with your estimation regarding a large influx of JUCOs. Shades of Tom Herrion on that. Can't build a true program on players that only give you a year or two. Need a solid corps of HS players.

What large influx of JUCOs? DD has signed one JUCO over the past two years.

Over that same time period he's signed seven HS players.

Don't quite know how old you are, but until the results are in this season, I wouldn't want to put too much cash on a bet on how this team would fare against one or two of Greg White's Herd teams or one of Billy Donovan's green and white teams with Jason Williams!!
How old is he 5?

I disagree, DD's recruiting classes have gotten better every year, what makes you think it will stop now? We are winning now and more recruits will notice. We just have to have time. This is not an excuse for being bad because we are not bad in the least, but the recruiting gets better every year. The good thing about DD is that he is the exact opposite of Doc. Dantoni can take a regular player and coach him up to his full talent, imagine what it will look like in a couple years with the recruits we already have.

Gotten better? 3 out of 5 kids won't play and a 4th was a European JUCO nobody wanted and the fifth was an undersized PG again with no legit offers.

You have to fight for recruits at this level and lazy recruiting don't win games. Chasing only kids from WV and Southern Ohio won't do shit for you.

Reactions: dangerousdaneerfan

Physical teams with good guard play have been the Achilles heel for DD. I'm sorry but Donnie last team or Herrion first time would walk the floor with the current collection of vagabonds

Reactions: dangerousdaneerfan
Billy's teams didn't fare too damn good against Davidson -- took a 40-point loss on their home floor!

Billy's teams didn't fare too damn good against Davidson -- took a 40-point loss on their home floor!

Um, sort of like the 50 point ass whuppin we got down at Southern Miss a couple of years or so ago. Davidson has long been a high quality and caliber basketball program; their post season record puts the Herd's to shame! Oh, and they are head and shoulders above Southern Miss when it comes to a quality basketball program.

Oooops, my bad. That So Miss loss (over 50 points) was under Herrion back in Jan. 2013.

Last edited:
Reactions: 19MU88
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT