ADVERTISEMENT

Beach Ball Classic

cottrell75

Platinum Buffalo
Jan 22, 2016
The Beach Ball Classic is one of the largest basketball tournaments in the country and was started by our very own DD. Do we even recruit there? I’ve read about tons of colleges there, but haven’t seen mention of Marshall. Dan is damn near a cult figure/godfather type down there, kind of odd we aren’t able to capitalize on it.

Reactions: herd66
The Beach Ball Classic is one of the largest basketball tournaments in the country and was started by our very own DD. Do we even recruit there? I’ve read about tons of colleges there, but haven’t seen mention of Marshall. Dan is damn near a cult figure/godfather type down there, kind of odd we aren’t able to capitalize on it.
Dan isn’t exactly spoken of highly amongst SC basketball coaches. I’ve spoken to more than my fair share of high school coaches about dan and at most I get a chuckle

cottrell75 said:

Dan isn’t exactly spoken of highly amongst SC basketball coaches. I’ve spoken to more than my fair share of high school coaches about dan and at most I get a chuckle
[/quote]
He supposedly fought the Myrtle Beach coach years ago. I’ve actually heard him mentioned on the radio down there, and mentions on social media....he gets ALL of the credit for the beach ball classic.

Kind of surprising that Dan does not recruit in the tournament that he started. But then again he does not recruit from Huntington Preps either. He basically seems to try to get some kids from WV and Bosnia and Serbia. JMO

Reactions: cottrell75
Kind of surprising that Dan does not recruit in the tournament that he started. But then again he does not recruit from Huntington Preps either. He basically seems to try to get some kids from WV and Bosnia and Serbia. JMO
Seriously, he shows up, they announce him...him and the staff stick around for a few games and make some offers. Tons of talent in this tournament. University out of WV is playing in it this year. Seems like an incredible recruiting tool at our disposal.

Reactions: marshallisqbu
cottrell75 said:

[/quote]
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.myrtlebeachonline.com/sports/college/article62089992.html

Dan is well thought of by a significant number of Marshall Basketball fans. He has brought success to a program that has not seen a great deal of success since the Huck years. We have played in pay for play tournaments a number of times and lost the first round. Have not played in an NCAA Tournament game since 1985. We presently have a very young, talented team. If they continue to improve, as they have recently, should compete for the Conference USA Championship by Tourney Time. Most certainly they will be competing for the league championship for the next 2-3 seasons if everyone stays and adding OAK next year. Difficult to understand the negativity from some folks.

Next year's recruiting will be interesting. Will have at least 3 and probably 4 scholarships to offer. I expect we will see more diverse and widespread recruiting from Dan and the staff. Dan has been able to find kids from adjoining states (KY, VA and OH, e.g.), so he seems to like to stay in a smaller target area. But he may venture out a bit next year. He is high on a couple of WV kids, and he prefers to get them if they convince him they can play Div I ball. I think he has done well as a recruiter considering he had no experience doing it till he was hired at MU. I continue to be impressed with his wisdom, gained from a lifetime of playing and coaching basketball and from learning from his life experiences. We are fortunate to have him. He's unique!!

He supposedly fought the Myrtle Beach coach years ago. I’ve actually heard him mentioned on the radio down there, and mentions on social media....he gets ALL of the credit for the beach ball classic.[/QUOTE]

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.myrtlebeachonline.com/sports/college/article62089992.html[/QUOTE]

he absolutely started the beach ball classic and gets credit for it. All I’m saying is his “exploits” are well know, that’s not knocking his coaching ability.

Think he's probably better known for the family Italian restaurant they once had down in MB.

Maybe you could change you opinion by actually looking at the roster and seeing where the kids are from. Or just keep repeating the same thing...true or not doesn’t seem to make a difference.

OK thunderingon a look at the roster reveals this:
WV -5
OH - 3
VA - 2
KY - 1
GA - 1
NC - 1
TX - 1
Serbia - 1
Montenegro - 1
So?

Maybe you could change you opinion by actually looking at the roster and seeing where the kids are from. Or just keep repeating the same thing...true or not doesn’t seem to make a difference.
Looking at the roster a third of kids come from WV. You throw in Oh and Ky it is about 65% of the roster.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
That list includes the 4 walk-ons (3 WV, 1 OH) who are obviously going to be local.

Take those away and it’s:
WV- 2
OH- 2
VA- 2
Euro- 2
KY- 1
GA- 1
NC- 1
TX- 1
Are those kids in the team or not? And when you take in oh and ky it is still almost 50% of the roster. You throwin other neighboring state Va and it is over half

Are those kids in the team or not? And when you take in oh and ky it is still almost 50% of the roster. You throwin other neighboring state Va and it is over half
Ok, just over 50% comes from 4 states. Just think if we had another player from Maryland and maybe even another from Pennsylvania. That would be even more :eek:

wvu has 8 scholarship players from WV(4), PA(1), OH(2), & KY(1).

Go check the % of UVA’s players who are from VA, NC, & MD. Or the % of OSU’s players who are from OH, IN, & MI. Or the % of Villanova’s players who are from PA, NJ, & MD.

Last edited:
Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Ok, just over 50% comes from 4 states. Just think if we had another player from Maryland and maybe even another from Pennsylvania. That would be even more :eek:

wvu has 8 scholarship players from WV(4), PA(1), OH(2), & KY(1).

Go check the % of UVA’s players who are from VA, NC, & MD. Or the % of OSU’s players who are from OH, IN, & MI. Or the % of Villanova’s players who are from PA, NJ, & MD.
Why are you de defensive? I don’t care where our kids come from if they can play. But the question is legitimate about why he doesn’t recruit Huntington prep and the beach ball

Reactions: cottrell75
Why are you de defensive? I don’t care where our kids come from if they can play. But the question is legitimate about why he doesn’t recruit Huntington prep and the beach ball

429 - please tell us how DD trying to convince a kid going to HPrep to “keep it local” and shun those top 25 D1 offers is NOT a waste of time? And I believe Dan knows (prob better than anyone) whether or not he should be sending assts to MB to scout talent? Our recent recruits have been far and away the best to come to MU since the 70’s....

429 - please tell us how DD trying to convince a kid going to HPrep to “keep it local” and shun those top 25 D1 offers is NOT a waste of time? And I believe Dan knows (prob better than anyone) whether or not he should be sending assts to MB to scout talent? Our recent recruits have been far and away the best to come to MU since the 70’s....
Not all the kids at Huntington prep are going to dook. Not all the kids at the beach ball classic are going to Villanova. Hell atleast give it a shot. There were 16 teams at the beach ball classic in 2019. Only 3 were from SC others were from Texas California etc. why not go network at the tournament HE started

Not defensive, just pointing out how National programs aren’t recruiting a lot differently than DD in terms of in-state/neighboring state recruits. I have some frustrations with recruiting, but casting a wider net isn’t one of them. I wish we recruited UK & OH harder than we do.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT