ADVERTISEMENT

Behind the Line: OL grades vs Charlotte

JudgeDD

Silver Buffalo
Gold Member
Jan 17, 2010
This was a frustrating game to watch, especially after the high of the Penn State win. Still, there are lessons to learn, well beyond what the redshirts are doing on the sidelines. I watched the game twice through before going back to grade the OL. I never got the impression that the players were in any way giving up or playing without emotion. But we make stupid mistakes.

Anyway, here's my take on the OL play:

Rubric:

Each play is graded for each player and average computed
0 = MA/totally blew assignment
1 = Didn't blow up the play, but sub par technique/results
2 = Goal on each play - did your job to an acceptable level
3 = Rare - exceptional play or superior effort

< 1.50 - Unacceptable/Failing
1.65 - Adequate/Fair/Needs to Improve
1.75 - Passing Grade/We can win with this play
1.90 - Superior Grade/We should win with this play

Fred Binot
Run - 1.86
Pass - 1.82
Overall - 184
2 Knockdowns
1 QB Hurry
1 QB Pressure
1 Penalty (Holding)

Improvement from Fred from the last time I graded. His holding penalty was a result of stopping his feet. Still, he has been a pleasant surprise in a position of question coming into the season. Against Charlotte, he graded equally well in both the run and the pass. As he gains experience and confidence, I expect Binot to really be a strong point of this OL.

Jordan Dowrey
Run - 1.92
Pass - 1.85
Overall - 1.89
2 Knockdowns
2 QB Hurries
1 Penalty (Hands to the Face)

Another solid game by one of our most consistent OL. The Hands to the Face penalty is an aggressive penalty, like a facemask on defense, so that gets a mention, but not a demerit (unless it becomes repetitive). With Jordan it is a little of same issues, different day. His arms just don't grow much from game to game, and he still occasionally lunges/overreaches and gets his shoulders ahead of his feet. His latest compensation is to use his forklift technique on pass pro. I've never heard of trying that; Mirabal hasn't either. But the standing order on the OL is to just get the job done, whatever it takes. I'll keep everyone posted on the success of this technique.

Levi Brown

Run - 1.68
Pass - 1.84
Overall - 1.758
1 Knockdown

Almost identical grades for Levi as the North Texas game. There is an expected learning curve for a redshirt freshman, especially at center where he is expected to make calls, snap, and then get around to blocking. I'm almost positive that Levi occasionally makes the wrong call given the front, but I don't grade down for that because I can't be sure. The center usually gets help on pass pro, so it's not unexpected that his pass grade is higher. Brown is a solid center this season, and will only get better with playing time.

Nate Devers
Run - 1.92
Pass - 1.80
Overall - 1.86
1 Knockdown
1 Sack
1 QB Hurry

It sure is nice to have a guy like Nate on the bench, ready to step up when needed. He had been sort of shelved last year, and for the past few games, and he had played inconsistently in spot play. But wow did he have a great game. He appeared more confident and in control of his game than any time I've seen him play. We all know he's a strong kid, but that only gets you so far on a football field. If Devers can continue to blend his weight-room strength with smart play and solid technique, we may have found the eventual replacement for Michael Selby.

Clint Van Horn
Run - 2.04
Pass - 1.70
Overall - 1.83
2 Knockdowns
1 QB Hurry
1 Sack
2 Penalties (Holding, False Start)

Do you see that run game grade? Legit. I don't pad grades. Clint played like he knew those guys, and didn't care much for them. He looked like the road-grader of old. Pass pro continues to plague him, though. He has problems with the speed rush, and then gets caught when he overcompensates and gets burned to the inside. His Holding and False Start penalties are a direct result of him getting beat, and then trying to get a quick jump on the DE. He is banged up like you can't know (and I can't completely share). He has lost a step, no doubt. But he continues to be the best option we have a tackle, and his leadership is needed now more than ever.

~

I read comments on here about a lack of leadership. I won't go into specifics, but I will say that this is a tough team to lead. To properly lead there needs to be a certain percentage of players who are willing to follow. The old saying about too many chefs sort of applies, but really it's more like just too many doing their own thing. There are leaders by example, leaders by motivation, leaders by emotion. But I've been teaching/coaching for a long time. I can tell you that there are no leaders without followers.

350 total yards is enough to win a game. Only 1 interception, and that was a throwaway at the end of the half. The fumble was critical, and cannot happen. That was a second-down play with the ball on the one-foot line. We cannot leave that drive without points.

I was encouraged with the play-calling in the first half. I really liked seeing us throw hot to the uncovered receiver. We moved the ball with a little consistency on the ground. I've already stated my frustration over the zone-read-without-a-true-read play, and it doesn't seem that is going to change. But besides that scheme point, I was encouraged by the play-calling.

I did not grade or breakdown the defensive play so I can't say with certainty what exactly happened. I know we gave up too many yards and points, but I don't have answers for that in this post.

Overall, the OL played really well. There were consistent pockets and some pretty good running lanes. I thought K Davis ran downhill most of the time and did a pretty good job minus the fumble. Remember, he also had a long TD run called back. Mistakes are killing us and we have to stop the stupid ones - fumble on the 1 going in, taking a helmet off after scoring (last week). It's going to be hard to get this season turned around but as a coach that's all I know to try and do. As a player, you never give up the season. At 0-11 you give everything you have to win that last game. As Commander Peter Taggert said, "Never give up, never surrender."

Comments welcome.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News