ADVERTISEMENT

Best Actors

riflearm2

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Dec 8, 2004
Who do you think are the best living actors? Watching Anthony Hopkins in "The Two Popes" last night made me create a list in no particular order:

Daniel Day-Lewis
Anthony Hopkins
Ed Norton
Jeff Bridges (though many of his roles tend to be similar)
Christian Bale
Joaquin Phoenix
Sean Penn
Shia LaBeouf (extremely underrated due to him being shady)

Reactions: ThunderCat98
I like Leo. I think Brad Pitt is underrated as well. I suppose we are required to mention Tom Hanks.

I would add Denzel Washington to the list.

I don’t put him anywhere near those guys.

Denzel almost always plays the same tough guy character. And he’s good at that, but I don’t think it’s much different than his real life personality. I’ve seen him in person, and he walks and acts just like he does in most of his roles.

I think the true measure is an audience buying into and believing in a character. If an actor can accomplish that while playing a bunch of diverse roles, he’s in. Having to play a character 20-25 years older than you like Christian Bale did with Dick Cheney? That’s tough.

I’d like to see Leo play an evil guy- a pure evil, psychotic killing bastard and see if he can pull it off.

can we add adam sandler to the opposite list? i've watched many of his movies over the years, mainly to satisfy my immature side, but that dude sucks ass as an actor. just watched uncut gems a couple weeks ago and he made a decent movie absolute garbage imhnso.

agree with geezer on denzel, i really enjoy his movies . . . but, i'm an action movie freak.

liam neeson is one i thought would be trash when i first saw one of his movies, but turned out to be pretty damn good.

agree on christian bale and leo.

Reactions: ThunderCat98
Day-Lewis is the best actor alive, period.

Interesting how different actors approach their craft. Daniel Day-Lewis hasn't been in two dozen films his entire career while actors like Samuel L. Jackson (good actor) seems to appear in every film that is released.

Last edited:

Denzel almost always plays the same tough guy character. And he’s good at that, but I don’t think it’s much different than his real life personality. I’ve seen him in person, and he walks and acts just like he does in most of his roles.

I think the true measure is an audience buying into and believing in a character. If an actor can accomplish that while playing a bunch of diverse roles, he’s in. Having to play a character 20-25 years older than you like Christian Bale did with Dick Cheney? That’s tough.

I’d like to see Leo play an evil guy- a pure evil, psychotic killing bastard and see if he can pull it off.

I agree that Washington has gravitated too much toward action flicks, but if you saw him in Lee's Malcolm X, Glory, A Soldier's Story, or Training Day, you would have to put him in a list of the best.

I like everyone on that list, but I've always thought Daniel Day-Lewis is one of the best; the dude is just so intense.

I agree that Washington has gravitated too much toward action flicks, but if you saw him in Lee's Malcolm X, Glory, A Soldier's Story, or Training Day, you would have to put him in a list of the best.

This could be my own personal bias coming out, but . . .

Could Denzel play a non-black character? In other words, could he play a character who acts/sounds/seems stereotypically white? I’ve never seen it. He’s always the angry black guy.

On the other hand, I’ve seen Shia LaBeouf pull off playing the stereotypical white guy and the white guy who acts stereotypically black. I’ve seen Bale play completely diverse roles. Same with Hopkins. What Norton did when he played the mentally challenged role was phenomenal.

I can’t recall Denzel ever playing anything that he isn’t somewhat already like in real life - the black guy, usually with an angry streak, always tough.

Maybe it hurts him that his voice is so distinguishable. Maybe it hurts him that people, including me, have stereotypes about a black guy who walks like him and it results in him being type cast.

I consider Jamie Foxx and Mark Wahlberg to be far better actors than Denzel. They’ve played extremely diverse roles and had me believe in their characters.

Could Denzel play a non-black character? In other words, could he play a character who acts/sounds/seems stereotypically white? I’ve never seen it. He’s always the angry black guy

The Book of Eli certainly wasn’t a character based on race.

Opinions are Opinions. I appreciate yours, Rifle. I know I was a big Robert De Niro fan until he became so political. Now I can't accept any character he plays because all I see in my mind is him ranting and raving at some awards show. That's my bias.

Day-Lewis has the right idea: Act. Don't try to sell me toothpaste, lecture me on global warming, or tell me where to invest my money. I hate going to a movie where my first reaction to an actor's character is "Oh, there is the guy who was on TV trying to sell me socks."

The slave trader in Django wasn't evil enough for you?

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
Who do you think are the best living actors? Watching Anthony Hopkins in "The Two Popes" last night made me create a list in no particular order:

Daniel Day-Lewis
Anthony Hopkins
Ed Norton
Christian Bale
Joaquin Phoenix
Sean Penn

That is an outstanding list. I don't like LaBeouf though. His voice is like nails down a chalkboard for me. I get why/how someone could like him, just not on my list, though.

Daniel Day-Lewis
Anthony Hopkins
Ed Norton
Christian Bale
Joaquin Phoenix
Sean Penn
good list but Hopkins is the best IMO

Andrew Scott. He's not a household name, but I think he's pretty damn good. Mostly has played smaller roles, but had a lead role in the movie, A Dark Place.

Andrew Scott. He's not a household name, but I think he's pretty damn good. Mostly has played smaller roles, but had a lead role in the movie, A Dark Place.
figured your a-list would come from the blacked website.

Good thread.

I rarely see movies anymore, and never really searched out movies from "leading actors," but I always seem to enjoy a few ones though they mostly seem like supporting actors. Maybe not the "best," but maybe favorite is a better word...

- John Turturro
- Steve Buscemi
- Bill Murray
- Tom Herrion 2012 v UCF

The Book of Eli certainly wasn’t a character based on race.

The aggressive, angry black guy. It fits his career mold.

Opinions are Opinions. I appreciate yours, Rifle.

Thanks, and I appreciate yours even if I disagree with the following:

I know I was a big Robert De Niro fan until he became so political. Now I can't accept any character he plays because all I see in my mind is him ranting and raving at some awards show. That's my bias.

Day-Lewis has the right idea: Act. Don't try to sell me toothpaste, lecture me on global warming, or tell me where to invest my money. I hate going to a movie where my first reaction to an actor's character is "Oh, there is the guy who was on TV trying to sell me socks."

So you liked the guy due to his acting. His lack of involvement in other activities (politics) had no influence on your appeal to him as an actor. So why does his involvement in an outside activity impact your appeal to him as an actor?

I don't like Doritos, but I sure liked Ali Landry and her tits when she was endorsing them. I went on to like Ali Landry as a model, and my dislike for Doritos (unrelated to me liking her looks) didn't change my appeal to what I liked about her.

DeNiro's acting doesn't change based on his political comments outside of acting. Awards shows are not for the fans; they are to recognize and award actors for their work. It is for them, the creatives. It is their opportunity to say things outside of their acting.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
Mel Gibson
Billy Bob Thornton
Bradley Cooper
Will Smith
Daniel Day Lewis
Tom Hanks
Russell Crowe
Anthony Hopkins
Johnny Depp

That wasn’t his character in that movie. It was a blind, Christian man on a mission from God to save the only known Bible available at the time.

We must have watched a different movie with the same name starring the same actor.

Denzel's character was an ass-kicker who would routinely kill groups of men and come out not just unscathed but also unscratched. How many people did he kill in the movie while escaping harm even though severely outnumbered?

He was a more futuristic and updated Mad Max. His character was just like almost all of his other movies: aggressive, angry black guy who is the toughest MOFO on the block.

DeNiro's acting doesn't change based on his political comments outside of acting. Awards shows are not for the fans; they are to recognize and award actors for their work. It is for them, the creatives. It is their opportunity to say things outside of their acting.

I am someone who likes to immerse himself into the characters and plot of a film. The more an actor becomes well known, outspoken, or overexposed (Samuel L Jackson, for example), the more difficulty I have accepting the actor's film characters.

I often prefer foreign films because I usually don't know any of the actors and it makes it easier for me to accept them in their roles. Thats just me.

With De Niro, I remember a film he did titled The Intern. Cute little film with Anne Hathaway where De Niro played a septuagenarian who. after the death of his wife, decides to go back to work as an intern. I just couldn't get my mind into his character. All I saw was the angry actor I had seen on the awards show. It's not that I disliked his politics, I just couldn't accept him in the role of a meek, lovable old widower.

I believe this often happens. You might remember George Reeves. He successfully played Superman on TV in the '50s. As a kid at the time, I only saw him as Superman.

Reeves hated the part and couldn't wait to play more sophistacated roles. When he got the chance, his career was ruined. When he entered for his first dramatic movie scene, the kids in the audience stood up and started yelling, "Superman! Superman!"

Last edited:
We must have watched a different movie with the same name starring the same actor.

Denzel's character was an ass-kicker who would routinely kill groups of men and come out not just unscathed but also unscratched. How many people did he kill in the movie while escaping harm even though severely outnumbered?

He was a more futuristic and updated Mad Max. His character was just like almost all of his other movies: aggressive, angry black guy who is the toughest MOFO on the block.

What did him being black have to do with the storyline? Nothing whatsoever. Liam Neeson could have just as easily played that role.

You failed to mention that he I'd that all while blind, including shooting a flying bird out of the sky with an arrow.

It wasn't that he was a badass, it was that he was being guided by the hand of God. That was kind of the whole point of the movie.

On the original topic, Day Lewis would have my vote. I think Gangs of New York is probably the best performance I have ever seen. Tom Cruise is an underrated actor.

All of this is correct...except he wasn't angry. In fact, if I remember correctly he was pretty even keeled the entire movie. That said, I agree for the most part that Denzel plays almost the same character in most of his movies. He wouldn't be in my Top 5 at all.

FWIW my Top 5 would be (not necessarily in this order)
Daniel Day Lewis
Tom Hanks
Bradley Cooper
Joaquin Phoenix
Christian Bale

Last edited:
This is a great thread, and it has the possibility for a number of spin offs: Best Nonliving Actor, Best Character Actor, Worst Actor, Best One Hit Wonder Actor, Best Silent Film Era Actor.

Reactions: ohio herd
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT