ADVERTISEMENT

best Basketball players from state of wv all time

ohio herd

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2012
The state of wv may not produce many top tier talent every year in basketball but it has produced some really good ones over the years. Here our some that come to mind. and where they played college. Please add to this list:

Jerry West - wvu
Hal Greer - marshall
Jason Williams - Marshall/ U of Fl
Pat Patterson- U of Ky
OJ Mayo - USC
Hot Rod Hundley - wvu
Tamar Slay - Marshall
Mike D'Antoni - Marshall
Earl Jones- U of DC
Rod Thorn - WVU

Last edited:
Reactions: WyomingHerdFan
I've often wondered how great Moss would have been in basketball if he preferred it over football. Same as I have often wondered how great LeBron would have been at football (James was a two-time All-State WR and was being recruited by Notre Dame for football in his sophomore season).

I've often wondered how great Moss would have been in basketball if he preferred it over football. Same as I have often wondered how great LeBron would have been at football (James was a two-time All-State WR and was being recruited by Notre Dame for football in his sophomore season).
I'm not a LeBron fan, but I'm thinking he had the potential to be the greatest tight end in NFL history. As for Moss, I saw him play hoops live in person over a dozen times. I don't think he would have done well long term in hoops. He was good though, but mostly in high school, it was non-stop dunk highlights. I actually believe Moss could have been a better baseball player than basketball.

I'm not a LeBron fan, but I'm thinking he had the potential to be the greatest tight end in NFL history. As for Moss, I saw him play hoops live in person over a dozen times. I don't think he would have done well long term in hoops. He was good though, but mostly in high school, it was non-stop dunk highlights. I actually believe Moss could have been a better baseball player than basketball.

Yes, Lebron at TE, good God, all day mismatch.

Moss had that freak athleticism that if he had focused on basketball he would have been really good. Like let's say he was born someplace basketball was king over football, like French Lick, and he never gave a shit for football. He would have been great. That's just part of being a freak athlete, whatever someone like that chooses they can be great at it. Shit, Jim Brown was an All-American in lacrosse and is in that sports Hall of Fame.

I do agree on the baseball part. I have said that many times over the years.

Charlotte: Is it factual that Randy got drafted by the Reds in high school?

HerdZilla22

Greg Hawkins - NC State. Greg was on the memorable 74 national championship team for the Wolfpack. That team ended UCLA’s 7 year title steak in their semifinal matchup. I have to imagine this still stands, but not too long ago Greg was/is the only player from West Virginia who has won both a WV state title and an NCAA division 1 national championship.

Greg Hawkins - NC State. Greg was on the memorable 74 national championship team for the Wolfpack. That team ended UCLA’s 7 year title steak in their semifinal matchup. I have to imagine this still stands, but not too long ago Greg was/is the only player from West Virginia who has won both a WV state title and an NCAA division 1 national championship.
awesome I did not know that.

The state of wv may not produce many top tier talent every year in basketball but it has produced some really good ones over the years. Here our some that come to mind. and where they played college. Please add to this list:

Jerry West - wvu
Hal Greer - marshall
Jason Williams - Marshall/ U of Fl
Pat Patterson- U of Ky
OJ Mayo - USC
Hot Rod Hundley - wvu
Tamar Slay - Marshall
Mike D'Antoni - Marshall
Earl Jones- U of DC
Rod Thorn - WVU

Herbie Brooks - WVU
Patrick Patterson - UK