ADVERTISEMENT

Best long form history podcast - WV mine wars

-CarlHungus-

Platinum Buffalo
Feb 9, 2007
This was an absolute gem. Unbelievably good.
Goes through some early American Appalachia history and culminates/peaks at the Battle of Blair Mountain.

I was ready to take up arms with Mother Jones by hour two.

If you’re into that sort of thing I cannot recommend this enough. I think right now only on his substack, but so worth the $5.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
This is not me but was posted as a comment on this episode and it resonated with me….

Darryl, the picture you painted of the Appalachian folk prior to the coal mining really resonated with me. My political philosophy has evolved a lot over the years going from a tow-the-line republican as until two tours in Iraq cooled me off to the global adventures of our elite and then I delved deep into Libertarianism but after several years in the corporate world and all of the greed, corruption, and incompetence I saw there cooled me off to the idea of a completely privatized society, at least one in our modern corporate context. Now I don’t have any political philosophy, but whatever that pre-modern, honor-based, tight knit community you described is called- that’s what I am all about. All of modernity’s projects be damned, I’ll take the village’s rule of custom over the empire’s rule of law any day of the week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT