ADVERTISEMENT

Big Win Over a P6 Team

But, but, but THE AMERICAN!!!!!!!!!

But, but, but MH is such an idiot because he did not bankrupt our program for a lateral transfer to it.

But, but, but Power Six.

But, but, but all their games are on TV (what channel was this one on?)

But, but, but ESPN said....

But, but, but Cincinnati (et al except ECU) are IN such big cites. (and nobody there give a f*** about them)

But, but, but Arseco said this, then that, then some other thing. (none of which ever actually happened).

BOOM. Reality therapy. Two group of five teams. Not world killers, not "power 6", not an upset, just a good college game where the best team won.

Is not it so much better to live in the real world where you do not have to suspend disbelief to follow your team, and not have to look so stupid after your idiocy is exposed?

Reactions: dangerousdaneerfan
If the American called and said we want Marshall, Southern Miss, Louisiana Tech, and WKU to all join, you would jump at that chance in a heartbeat. Stop fooling yourself.

Why would we? Until we can prove ourselves in our current conference (by winning more than one championship and beating the bad teams) we have zero business trying to move on.

Reactions: Herdmeister
You mean like Tulane ever proved themselves?

But, but, but, Tulane is in New Orleans!!!!!! That is SOOOOOOOO important because EVERYBODY in that big city follows Tulane, right.

Umm, no. Everybody in NOLA follows LSU, followed by ULL, or the Saints. Nobody cares about Tulane.

Same reason you could have walked 2 minutes from the UC stadium and asked anybody "what was the score today?" and they would reply "Reds lost 9-0 to the Cubs". THE AMERICAN!!!!!!!!!, IN big cities, ignored by everyone there. Just another G5 conference.

still a better conference

Arguable. Scoreboard says otherwise. What is not arguable is that it is just a G5 conference.

And that is the point. Marshall people know what we are. You have to suspend so much disbelief to buy into stupid s*** that just is not so. You do not have to do that to follow the Herd. Firmly grounded in the real world and proud of what we have accomplished with so little going for us.

BTW, that is my main gripe with the Spamites. Their lapdog media spews out stuff that no one over 12 can actually believe. I am not willing to live in a delusional world, or be around people so f***ing stupid they ACTUALLY BELIEVE idiocy.

Arguable. Scoreboard says otherwise. What is not arguable is that it is just a G5 conference.

And that is the point. Marshall people know what we are. You have to suspend so much disbelief to buy into stupid s*** that just is not so. You do not have to do that to follow the Herd. Firmly grounded in the real world and proud of what we have accomplished with so little going for us.

BTW, that is my main gripe with the Spamites. Their lapdog media spews out stuff that no one over 12 can actually believe. I am not willing to live in a delusional world, or be around people so f***ing stupid they ACTUALLY BELIEVE idiocy.

Don't forget this score is , what we hope, the best C-USA has to offer vs an AAC also ran.

The SEC is better than C-USA. Does Middle Tennessee beating Vandy as they did a year or two ago say otherwise ?

Wait...what? Seriosuly what is that?
An imaginary rivalry invented by a former UConn coach.

CQzm50bW8AAH-k7.png:large

Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather be in the AAC than C-USA - if we're gonna waste a bunch of money traveling, let's at least play FBS schools.

I was just making fun of how they advertise that they are a Power 6 conference in those dumbass ads. I figure since P5 fans are laughing at them, other G5 fans should too.

Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather be in the AAC than C-USA - if we're gonna waste a bunch of money traveling, let's at least play FBS schools.

I was just making fun of how they advertise that they are a Power 6 conference in those dumbass ads. I figure since P5 fans are laughing at them, other G5 fans should too.

Let's just recap: the AAC has 2 ranked teams with 2 others receiving votes, the Big 12 had 3, the SEC has 4. CUSA has 0, the Sun Belt has 0, the MAC has 0.

The AAC is 11-3 on the year against CUSA, MWC, Sun Belt, and MAC.

Why would we not advertise P6 given those realities?

The thing is there will never be a P6 until they are a 16 team football conference.

Plus Houston being ranked is BS in my opinion.

Reactions: ohio herd
Let's just recap: the AAC has 2 ranked teams with 2 others receiving votes, the Big 12 had 3, the SEC has 4. CUSA has 0, the Sun Belt has 0, the MAC has 0.

Just to recap. Saying that the AAC is a P6 conference only makes every member school look silly. There is no such thing. Don't worry, continue to live in a make believe world and pretend that you play in a Power conference..... the rest of us just laugh at you.

Reactions: The Real SamC
But, but, but THE AMERICAN!!!!!!!!!

But, but, but MH is such an idiot because he did not bankrupt our program for a lateral transfer to it.

But, but, but Power Six.

But, but, but all their games are on TV (what channel was this one on?)

But, but, but ESPN said....

But, but, but Cincinnati (et al except ECU) are IN such big cites. (and nobody there give a f*** about them)

But, but, but Arseco said this, then that, then some other thing. (none of which ever actually happened).

BOOM. Reality therapy. Two group of five teams. Not world killers, not "power 6", not an upset, just a good college game where the best team won.

Is not it so much better to live in the real world where you do not have to suspend disbelief to follow your team, and not have to look so stupid after your idiocy is exposed?

I was waiting for this...lol.

Any CUSA school given the chance and the money would jump at the opportunity to be in the American. The bottom line is the money isn't there and never will. You'll notice that football is the only sport referenced on this site when comparing the two conferences. Why, because basketball and the minor sports in the American are better funded and far more successful than anything in CUSA. Academics and national reputation of CUSA schools compared to The American.....no need to discuss. Bottom line....in G5 there is, The American the Mountain West and bunch of poorly funded no-descrip schools that wish they had the resources to be among those two. If the MAC, Sun Belt and CUSA were the place to be, schools from the THE AMERICAN would be switching conferences. They are not. So...is The American a P6. No, but a whole hell of lot closer than CUSA.

Reactions: WV_Celt
Any CUSA school given the chance and the money would jump at the opportunity to be in the American. The bottom line is the money isn't there and never will. You'll notice that football is the only sport referenced on this site when comparing the two conferences. Why, because basketball and the minor sports in the American are better funded and far more successful than anything in CUSA. Academics and national reputation of CUSA schools compared to The American.....no need to discuss. Bottom line....in G5 there is, The American the Mountain West and bunch of poorly funded no-descrip schools that wish they had the resources to be among those two. If the MAC, Sun Belt and CUSA were the place to be, schools from the THE AMERICAN would be switching conferences. They are not. So...is The American a P6. No, but a whole hell of lot closer than CUSA.

This is an articulate and rational way of looking at this. Thank you. It's also WHY Aresco is pushing the P6 campaign. In his view, and I think he's right, the American has teams closer to many "P5" programs than many programs in CUSA, Sun Belt, or MAC.

The AAC does not have the elite programs like an OSU. It does however have many programs that are very similar to programs like TTU, TCU, Wake, NC State, UNC, GT, BC, Syracuse, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Baylor, etc etc etc etc

Frankly I think Marshall is a good program stuck in a now horrendous conference. You guys can't be excited playing the likes of ODU, Charlotte, FIU, UNT, etc?

I would have preferred Marshall and USM vs. Tulane or Tulsa but Aresco apparently had his reasons for wanting schools from metro areas.

One stat you didn't mention was the AAC's record versus the P5 schools this year: 4-9. Probably the best among G5 conferences (I don't have that much time on my hands today), but not exactly an open-and-shut case for inclusion, especially if you look at the teams those wins came against (marquee pelt: Maryland).

But that's beside the point...

My initial post was just about the conference declaring itself a member of an organization/confederation/loose cabal of murderers and thieves that has zero intention of ever expanding. It's just unseemly; it would be like Marshall saying "we have more wins than the Chargers, so f it, we're now a member of the AFC West."

Individual AAC teams can't get invites to P5 conferences, even ones playing with less than 12 teams (see also: 12, Big), so the idea of the entire conference getting a ticket to board the Moolah Mothership is pretty absurd.

[By the way, you sound like a good dude, so please don't take any personal offense to any of this. It's not my intent to mock UCF here, either. Trust me, I'd rather lose to you guys another eight straight times than beat FIU and FAU into the dark void of infinity.]

This is an articulate and rational way of looking at this. Thank you. It's also WHY Aresco is pushing the P6 campaign. In his view, and I think he's right, the American has teams closer to many "P5" programs than many programs in CUSA, Sun Belt, or MAC.

The AAC does not have the elite programs like an OSU. It does however have many programs that are very similar to programs like TTU, TCU, Wake, NC State, UNC, GT, BC, Syracuse, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Baylor, etc etc etc etc

Frankly I think Marshall is a good program stuck in a now horrendous conference. You guys can't be excited playing the likes of ODU, Charlotte, FIU, UNT, etc?

I would have preferred Marshall and USM vs. Tulane or Tulsa but Aresco apparently had his reasons for wanting schools from metro areas.

I think it's because he tries to compensate for the fact that a school in a metro area of a million is going to have a better chance of filling up a 40K stadium which is normally 50% empty on most game days.
It's not a bad strategy but its one that isn't going to work unless the good product is out there.

And that my friend, is something you simply cannot force on people. Hence why the Big-12 took NOBODY from the G5 who applied...despite having all these "perks." Hell, some of the reaches these schools made was laughable, "Our library is so many hundred thousands of square feet" and "our debate team is made up of people from Sri Lanka, China, and Japan, we're very ethnically diverse!"
I'm not knocking UCF individually nor the AAC, it's across the board. The MWC had nobody of value either, or else they would have taken someone. The Big-12 is pretty low on the P5 scale minus Texas and Oklahoma...so when you mention you're idea is that "UCF and the AAC is closer to TTU or Iowa State" you're right, and they're grandfathered in so you're not gonna get anyone to let in another school like them (and even so, most schools don't compare to either of them through major endowments, research, and other REAL "perks" of those schools) in.

Also, I imagine if the P5 had a chance to do it all over again, many of the schools you mentioned that the AAC are close to, wouldn't even be in their conferences. You really think Iowa State brings anything to the Big-12? Baylor was very much the same for decades before RG3 came and turned the program around...and now they're likely to get a pretty bad streak going of being terrible again, plus the whole sexual assault thing, puts a black eye on the conference as a whole. It's not like everyone's dreaming of wanting to live in Waco Texas or frickin' Iowa...

I would appreciate Aresco's beliefs that the AAC is a P6 conference if he were our conference commissioner, but everyone knows its not true at all. I imagine the P5 isn't really concerned about it, but if they told him to quit doing that, he'd not only straighten the hell up and stop, he'd probably buy them all dinner as to not upset them more.

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
One stat you didn't mention was the AAC's record versus the P5 schools this year: 4-9. Probably the best among G5 conferences (I don't have that much time on my hands today), but not exactly an open-and-shut case for inclusion, especially if you look at the teams those wins came against (marquee pelt: Maryland).

But that's beside the point...

My initial post was just about the conference declaring itself a member of an organization/confederation/loose cabal of murderers and thieves that has zero intention of ever expanding. It's just unseemly; it would be like Marshall saying "we have more wins than the Chargers, so f it, we're now a member of the AFC West."

Individual AAC teams can't get invites to P5 conferences, even ones playing with less than 12 teams (see also: 12, Big), so the idea of the entire conference getting a ticket to board the Moolah Mothership is pretty absurd.

[By the way, you sound like a good dude, so please don't take any personal offense to any of this. It's not my intent to mock UCF here, either. Trust me, I'd rather lose to you guys another eight straight times than beat FIU and FAU into the dark void of infinity.]

It's just about perception. Aresco is betting that enough years of saying P6 and continuing to put teams into the Top 15/NYE bowl games will eventually get people believing it. I'd rather have the commission trying to influence perception vs. just throwing the towel in.

This year we've got UCF/USF ranked; last year Houston was damn near a Playoff contender. If we could just do that consistently and get programs like ECU and cincy to rebuild themselves we wouldn't be too far away.

Personally I'd like to see an addition of Marshall, NIU, SDSU, and Boise. I think at that point P6 would be undeniable.

Reactions: herdalicious
One more thing, you're right, it's hard to get excited for FIU or Charlotte, but the same could be said about you with Tulane, UConn, and about half your conference as well.
If it weren't true, the stadiums would be sold out and expanded.

Aresco.....he has several schools with athletic budgets larger than the lower tier P5 schools. If you look at the Directors Cup ratings his schools are light years ahead of any other G5 conference schools. He has the best schools from each state that are non-P5. He's a leader for the conference.....what should he do? Sit on his ass and do nothing. At least he's at the plate swinging for the fence.

I think it's because he tries to compensate for the fact that a school in a metro area of a million is going to have a better chance of filling up a 40K stadium which is normally 50% empty on most game days.
It's not a bad strategy but its one that isn't going to work unless the good product is out there.

And that my friend, is something you simply cannot force on people. Hence why the Big-12 took NOBODY from the G5 who applied...despite having all these "perks." Hell, some of the reaches these schools made was laughable, "Our library is so many hundred thousands of square feet" and "our debate team is made up of people from Sri Lanka, China, and Japan, we're very ethnically diverse!"
I'm not knocking UCF individually nor the AAC, it's across the board. The MWC had nobody of value either, or else they would have taken someone. The Big-12 is pretty low on the P5 scale minus Texas and Oklahoma...so when you mention you're idea is that "UCF and the AAC is closer to TTU or Iowa State" you're right, and they're grandfathered in so you're not gonna get anyone to let in another school like them (and even so, most schools don't compare to either of them through major endowments, research, and other REAL "perks" of those schools) in.

Also, I imagine if the P5 had a chance to do it all over again, many of the schools you mentioned that the AAC are close to, wouldn't even be in their conferences. You really think Iowa State brings anything to the Big-12? Baylor was very much the same for decades before RG3 came and turned the program around...and now they're likely to get a pretty bad streak going of being terrible again, plus the whole sexual assault thing, puts a black eye on the conference as a whole. It's not like everyone's dreaming of wanting to live in Waco Texas or frickin' Iowa...

I would appreciate Aresco's beliefs that the AAC is a P6 conference if he were our conference commissioner, but everyone knows its not true at all. I imagine the P5 isn't really concerned about it, but if they told him to quit doing that, he'd not only straighten the hell up and stop, he'd probably buy them all dinner as to not upset them more.

Uh, 50% full? Our stadium holds 42K and most every game has 32-40K in attendance based upon who we're playing. 50% full would mean just 21,000 people show up and that doesn't happen. We aren't USF. Hell, in the past 2 games we've had 18,000 and 16,000 in students alone.

It's just about perception. Aresco is betting that enough years of saying P6 and continuing to put teams into the Top 15/NYE bowl games will eventually get people believing it. I'd rather have the commission trying to influence perception vs. just throwing the towel in.

This year we've got UCF/USF ranked; last year Houston was damn near a Playoff contender. If we could just do that consistently and get programs like ECU and cincy to rebuild themselves we wouldn't be too far away.

Personally I'd like to see an addition of Marshall, NIU, SDSU, and Boise. I think at that point P6 would be undeniable.

No doubt Aresco is wanting to be in the P5, but it's not likely to happen. At the end of the day, either USF or UCF is winning their division. Then you'll have someone like Navy or Houston from the West. Only 1 gets in...and if Navy has like 3 or 4 losses and beats someone like USF who may not have one, then the CFP will say the higher ranked school didn't win their conference but someone like Marshall, who wins out with 1 loss to what seems to be a good P5 school, would get a much stronger vote. Also, out of your hands BTW, is the fact a real argument for UCF specifically, the Georgia Tech game, was cancelled.

What I'm saying is, the AAC is still too fragile for losses and mess ups, much like C-USA is basically you gotta play 2 P5 schools and go undefeated. WKU ruined our perfect season and a shot for the Access Bowl despite us killing everyone we played. While a P5 school can afford a loss or two and get into the CFP.

Uh, 50% full? Our stadium holds 42K and most every game has 32-40K in attendance based upon who we're playing. 50% full would mean just 21,000 people show up and that doesn't happen. We aren't USF. Hell, in the past 2 games we've had 18,000 and 16,000 in students alone.

Okay, maybe not UCF. Then again you have close to 50,000 students so you should by accident, be pretty full. Temple or Memphis or even Tulane...hell, Temple can't fill their stadium halfway despite being in Philadelphia and sharing with an NFL team. Same with Memphis who hosted a #25 UCLA team, nowhere near close to selling out. Tulane literally has 50% capacity.
That's the problem Aresco is going to have...schools located in major metropolitan areas with little fan followings. Trust me, C-USA is not much better minus us and like USM...WKU despite their success, has HORRIBLE fan support. So trust me, we are in the same problem.

You can blow your own horn till your lips get blisters on them and your cheeks sag like Louie Armstrong's did, but the fact is that there is no such thing as P6. Not now, not in the future. Before that happens the current P-5's will reconfigure themselves into four 16 team conferences and leave the bulk of the current G-5's in the dust, and maybe even break from the NCAA altogether. On the bright side, if that ever happens the G-5's could have their own little championship playoff.............kind of like they did when back in the days of 1-A and 1-AA.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Okay, maybe not UCF. Then again you have close to 50,000 students so you should by accident, be pretty full. Temple or Memphis or even Tulane...hell, Temple can't fill their stadium halfway despite being in Philadelphia and sharing with an NFL team. Same with Memphis who hosted a #25 UCLA team, nowhere near close to selling out. Tulane literally has 50% capacity.
That's the problem Aresco is going to have...schools located in major metropolitan areas with little fan followings. Trust me, C-USA is not much better minus us and like USM...WKU despite their success, has HORRIBLE fan support. So trust me, we are in the same problem.

The Liberty Bowl holds 61,000 people. Memphis had 48,000 fans at the UCLA game; I wouldn't exactly call that a failure given most programs can'draw that.

Look I appreciate the fact that schools in the AAC feel slighted. Imagine the schools in the old Southwest conference that folded. Schools like Rice rode the coat tails of Texas for years. When the conference folded up they were left behind. No doubt the current 5/ P5 model will not expand. If anything it will shrink to 4 conference of 16 teams as has already been suggested. I know it stinks but that is the way it is. Consider this, the state of Ohio only has 1 P5 school and Iowa and Mississippi have 2. Now how fair is that. How does NC get 4? There is nothing fair about the current system.

The Liberty Bowl holds 61,000 people. Memphis had 48,000 fans at the UCLA game; I wouldn't exactly call that a failure given most programs can'draw that.
The American has the highest average attendances after week 4 of all G5 schools. There are six schools in the conference averaging over 30,000. The conference is behind the ACC in average attendance. Sixth place out of all the conferences. Where should they be? What does Memphis draw in basketball? The last time I looked that's a major sport. What does Uconn draw in basketball? All major sports....these are considered when you look at the overall health of an athletic department. Most of the schools in the MAC, CUSA and Sun Belt would come up way short on a head to head competition with every sport sponsored in the American Conference.

still a better conference

I don't think a lot of Herd fans care what is better for the program, they look at the prestige. I, along with a lot of those I tailgate with, want what would be more enjoyable football. I LOVED the MAC and while I understand our move to CUSA at the time, nowadays it's unbearable. Not to mention we now get as much (or less) TV time as we did ten years ago. Moving to AAC is pretty much a lateral move in my opinion because in 5 years the AAC will be the same as CUSA, whatever that looks like. So if we make that move- fine, it's indifferent. I'd rather go back to the MAC and be able to go to road game and have local rivalries. We would still be able to get NCst and Cincy in that conference, and we would have a much more enjoyable season.

Money you say? What money

Reactions: All4TheHerd
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT