ADVERTISEMENT

Boise State

bbneutralfan

Gold Buffalo
Sep 29, 2010
Reported 22 players tested positive for Covid 19. Who thinks they will be coming to Huntington?

I hope and pray they will.young people are not affected like old people .If they do not come it will not be because of the virus.

Why is that incorrect? People under 25 rarely even have symptoms. Maybe you’re thinking about the coaching staff? Unless they are ancient, this is not a life threatening circumstance..

I know you understand what the legal council at these schools are saying to decision makers and athletic depts. These are unpaid players and our television entertainment shouldn’t be the deciding factor in this situation.
Here’s hoping my view of this fades away along with the current situation.
I’m pretty sure conferences will play at some point in the coming months.

W-S reread my post. I merely pointed out that Boise reported 22 players and the short time left before we play (maybe). These are not old guys like you or me but young men whom Herd66 stated young people don’t get this. Really! Maybe not compared to older adults but obviously they do of you would not be seeing the numbers at schools going up. JMO

I would say "best case scenario" at this point is we get conference play only and no fans... Even with that format, the problem for CUSA is half the league is in Texas and Florida.

Reactions: herdalicious
Based on what we've seen so far, all 22 of those Boise players will be susceptible to re-infection by Week 3.

Based on what? The reinfection rate is unknown.
Studies are showing the COVID antibodies remain in the blood stream for a time period proportionate to the severity of the infection, and appear to fade after two months, leaving the patient vulnerable to re-infection.

A link to the info on the most recent study:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommyb...irus-may-fade-away-within-weeks/#3cddd1f021bc

Appendix: This is a property of many coronaviruses, and a part of the reason why there are no vaccines for the common cold (which is a coronavirus). To maintain immunity, the body must continue to hold antibodies, and the virus not mutate to a point where those antibodies are no longer effective.

Studies are showing the COVID antibodies remain in the blood stream for a time period proportionate to the severity of the infection, and appear to fade after two months, leaving the patient vulnerable to re-infection.

A link to the info on the most recent study:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommyb...irus-may-fade-away-within-weeks/#3cddd1f021bc

Appendix: This is a property of many coronaviruses, and a part of the reason why there are no vaccines for the common cold (which is a coronavirus). To maintain immunity, the body must continue to hold antibodies, and the virus not mutate to a point where those antibodies are no longer effective.
I didn’t say it wasn’t possible. The post I was responding to said they would be more susceptible to getting it again. There is no research that I’m aware of that says you are more susceptible to reinfection. Those studies are looking at numeral immunity I believe and not cellular immunity which involves T cells There is more to immunity than antibodies

What exactly is the problem?

Don't know how much you follow along, but Florida and Texas aren't exactly handling the virus very well... Thus meaning that playing games in those states comes with a greater risk to all involved parties.

There's a lot of "what ifs" and "may this" or "may that" in that article. Along with not being peer reviewed at time of publication. Yes, it could be true, or even partially true. Perhaps it's too early to tell, maybe not.

According to HD this morning, if Boise fails to return on the home and home the payout to MU is $500,000. If Pitt fails the payout is 1 million.

I guarantee there is an opt. out though for unforeseen circumstances. IE. Natural Disasters or Pandemics.

Yep but those would apply only if the entire season was cancelled. Pitt can’t play that card and then turn around and play ten ACC games.

I imagine same would apply if Boise skips the JOAN and then turns around and plays its Mountain West schedule.

I imagine same would apply if Boise skips the JOAN and then turns around and plays its Mountain West schedule.
Sure but Boise's financial situation is much, much different than Pitt's. I could see us allowing them to move the game to another season. 2027 would fit for both schools without either having to move other games around.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Sure but Boise's financial situation is much, much different than Pitt's. I could see us allowing them to move the game to another season. 2027 would fit for both schools without either having to move other games around.

By 2027 Boise will be in P5 and will never come here

Nobody foresaw a pandemic when these games were scheduled, I get that. But man I wish we wouldn’t have went on the road first in damn near every high profile OOC series we’ve booked.

Reactions: ThunderDrunk304
Can't see Power conferences expanding that much, if at all. Certainly won't be any additional Power CONFERENCES any time soon. Maybe a current Power league will expand, possibly the Big 12 which has only 10 members. Unless some perennial "loser" just drops out of a conference, like Vandy of the SEC, can't see schools like Boise, UCF, Houston, etc., being "Power" programs in the foreseeable future.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I agree... The only P5 league that may expand is the Big12... They could take BYU and Boise State to get to 12 if they felt the need to sometime down the line.

It makes financial sense for Boise to cancel our game or re-schedule.

BYU lost 6 games in this mess, wonder if Mike can work with them on a 1-1 deal. Travel expenses would suck but they may be willing to work with us since they need games badly.

Reactions: HerdFan73
Certainly possible but in my opinion Boise doesn’t offer much to a P5 conference. If they did, they’d already be in one.

Yup, and Boise is likely one bad head coaching hire away from becoming Marshall. Granted, they've been able to maintain success for over a decade, but they're still not a big school. I don't know how they do it, but I wish it could be bottled up and used on our program.

Reactions: Deepthroat69
Yup, and Boise is likely one bad head coaching hire away from becoming Marshall. Granted, they've been able to maintain success for over a decade, but they're still not a big school. I don't know how they do it, but I wish it could be bottled up and used on our program.
Not a huge school but they do have over 22,000 students in a city of nearly 230,000 with some very lucrative businesses

ADVERTISEMENT