ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl Attendance Solution

MUCO68

Silver Buffalo
Jan 27, 2011
The bowl attendance (for the most part) is woefully low. Teams playing far from home w/ little or no support (unless, of course, you're OSU, Bama, UG, etc.) and very few interested locals attending. Why not play the 'lesser bowl' games (other than the playoff games) at the home field of the better team and offering the opposing team half of the tickets, guaranteeing them the opportunity to attend and half-fill the stadium. "But that's not FAIR to the poorer team...". Wah, wah, wah snowflakes. Perhaps that will be an incentive to do better next year. I think that would go a LONG way to increase the attendance by leaps and bounds. Ok naysayers...your turn.

The bowl attendance (for the most part) is woefully low. Teams playing far from home w/ little or no support (unless, of course, you're OSU, Bama, UG, etc.) and very few interested locals attending. Why not play the 'lesser bowl' games (other than the playoff games) at the home field of the better team and offering the opposing team half of the tickets, guaranteeing them the opportunity to attend and half-fill the stadium. "But that's not FAIR to the poorer team...". Wah, wah, wah snowflakes. Perhaps that will be an incentive to do better next year. I think that would go a LONG way to increase the attendance by leaps and bounds. Ok naysayers...your turn.

Bowls are mostly driven by TV money. There wouldn’t be 40+ bowls if attendance at many of them was a factor.

Actual attendance in bowls played this week is just a bonus. TV and sponsors is where the $$$ is made. They are all making $$$ and making a lot of it. They wouldn’t keep adding more and more if they were losing.
And for example Marshall and UConn players would much rather go spend 4 days at Myrtle Beach and participate in all of the bowl activities than spend it in Huntington or Storrs.

The host cities also put up money and events. Plus you have to keep in mind that the weather essentially sucks north of the Mason Dixon in December. I wouldn’t want to go play NIU or EMU, for example, in late December. Those games would still have empty stands.

If teams are not fully using their ticket allocations, how do we expect them to fill up half a stadium by guaranteeing them half the tickets?

Bowl attendance is as irrelevant as your post about it.

I would not like to attend a bowl game in Huntington. It’s not a resort destination with numerous amenities and the weather is bad. That’s just to start.

I would not like to attend a bowl game in Huntington. It’s not a resort destination with numerous amenities and the weather is bad. That’s just to start.
But think of all the pre-game bowl promotional possibilities in Huntington. Run a fan raffle before the bowl game. The winner would be allowed to, at a designated pre-game time, personally TORCH a selected abandoned house or structure somewhere within the City's confines. Said house or structure being previously selected PERSONALLY by Mayor Steve himself, from a certified list of dozens, hundreds(?), of such structures within the "JEWEL" City!!

Reactions: FreddyReef
Well, Huntington did pretty well in sponsoring 1AA playoff games, the structure was there and I think it could do it again. The difference is that the money/reward system for a bowl is different than a playoff game.
Considering that folks are usually in town for only a couple of days, there would be plenty of things for both the players and fans to do in Huntington. The weather isn't an issue, they play bowl games in NYC and Boston during the same period.

I have often wondering why no "Coal Bowl", or "Rail Heritage", or "River Heritage" bowl in our area.

Well, Huntington did pretty well in sponsoring 1AA playoff games, the structure was there and I think it could do it again. The difference is that the money/reward system for a bowl is different than a playoff game.
Considering that folks are usually in town for only a couple of days, there would be plenty of things for both the players and fans to do in Huntington. The weather isn't an issue, they play bowl games in NYC and Boston during the same period.

I have often wondering why no "Coal Bowl", or "Rail Heritage", or "River Heritage" bowl in our area.
It’s only my opinion that the weather is bad. I sat in the rain in Tampa but it was warm. I personally will only go to a bowl game in a warm climate. However, I did go to Myrtle Beach and it was cold. Those 1AA games were fun I must admit.

The host cities also put up money and events. Plus you have to keep in mind that the weather essentially sucks north of the Mason Dixon in December. I wouldn’t want to go play NIU or EMU, for example, in late December. Those games would still have empty stands.
Don't have to wait till December, 98Dog. Just watch some of those Tuesday-Wednesday night MAC games on TV being played at one of those Michigan schools in and around Mid-November dates!! The "throngs" of dozens of shivering fans scattered about in the venues tell you all you need to know!!

Reactions: ohio herd
not sure how they will be able to find two more teams who qualify each year
There are 12 more teams moving up to I-A within the next five years. My guess is there will be 20 or more within a decade. There just is no money in I-AA. Never has been. If they stick to the six wins and you're in deal, then ESPN has to come up with 4 to 6 more places. Not that a soccer field in Over The Rhine would be my first, or hundredth choice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT