ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl Projections

Even the other prediction vs San Jose State wouldn't be bad either.

Even the other prediction vs San Jose State wouldn't be bad either.

SJSU should beat UNLV, but to be bowl eligible, they'd have to beat either Hawaii on the road or Fresno. That's not an easy task for an average SJSU team.

- I’m not excited about playing TCU at SMU’s stadium, just because they are a P5. It’s questionable that they get to 6 wins, They will probably beat WVU, and TTU is a toss up.

- WVU will never play MU in a bowl game. WVU has influence and will work with the B12 and Disney and whoever to make sure it never happens. Get over it.

- I’m not excited about playing TCU at SMU’s stadium, just because they are a P5. It’s questionable that they get to 6 wins, They will probably beat WVU, and TTU is a toss up.

- WVU will never play MU in a bowl game. WVU has influence and will work with the B12 and Disney and whoever to make sure it never happens. Get over it.

The "it's always someone else's fault' conspiracy theories continue...

Even if they did get six wins, WVU would be too chicken-shit to play us. Two-years-ago when we beat Colorado State out in New Mexico, the Heart of Dallas Bowl wanted to match us up and U-SPAM wouldn't have it.

Reactions: pdbailey
Call me crazy, but we haven't done shit this season to warrant picking a fight with anyone from the Big 12, even if it is a team that barely becomes bowl eligible. Our best shot at defeating WVu would have been Cato's final year, but it sure as hell ain't now.

There are too many scenarios for these projections to mean jack... But they do start message board arguments and drive web clicks, which is the intended purpose anyway I suppose.

There are two scenarios... We win the CUSA title and get to pick our bowl game (I assume we would pick a P5 opponent, or another G5 league champ, in a Southern US location)... We don't win the CUSA title and we go wherever the conference wants to send us.

Marshall could end up anywhere from playing Oklahoma State or TCU in Dallas, to playing Central Michigan or Ball State in the Bahamas.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Even if they did get six wins, WVU would be too chicken-shit to play us. Two-years-ago when we beat Colorado State out in New Mexico, the Heart of Dallas Bowl wanted to match us up and U-SPAM wouldn't have it.

Do you really think it's because WVU is scared? I mean 90% of Marshall fans know the real reason... it doesn't benefit either school. If WVU wins then its a meaningless win over an in state G5 school.. if Marshall wins people will say it meant way more to Marshall than WVU, even if Marshall was the better team.

Point.Less.Game.

Do you really think it's because WVU is scared? I mean 90% of Marshall fans know the real reason... it doesn't benefit either school. If WVU wins then its a meaningless win over an in state G5 school.. if Marshall wins people will say it meant way more to Marshall than WVU, even if Marshall was the better team.

Point.Less.Game.

You could say that about every P5 opponent we've played or are scheduled to play. What does NCST, Pitt, and VT have to gain by doing home and homes with Marshall?

You could say that about every P5 opponent we've played or are scheduled to play. What does NCST, Pitt, and VT have to gain by doing home and homes with Marshall?

I agree with that 100%.. however, when you play a bowl game against an in state rival, it's even more so. Most people don't want to see that matchup. There are probably about 5% that do, and those are the ones who are more interested in beating WVU than they are the success of Marshall, or the WVU fans who think a rivalry game is somehow a storyline. The other 95% have 0 interest in it..

CBSsports.com changes their bowl projections almost weekly. Couple of weeks ago they had us playing in a bowl in Texas against Air Force, currently 7-2, IIRC,, out of the Mountain West. Playing any of the 3 service academies is always a positive, IMO, because they all have some national recognition and following. With our past win against Army (remember the Moss "leap") and upcoming series with Army and Navy, I'd love to see us play the AFA in a bowl this year!!

Current projections from several sites:

ESPN: Schlabach: New Mexico Bowl vs. San Jose State
ESPN: Bonagura: First Responder Bowl vs. TCU
Stadium: McMurphy: First Responder Bowl vs Fresno State
Sporting News: Military Bowl vs Cincinnati
CBS Sports: Jerry Palm: vs New Orleans Bowl vs Appalachian State
24/7Sports: New Orleans Bowl vs Appalachian State
Bleacher Report: Boca Raton Bowl vs UCF
Athlon Sports: Gasparilla Bowl vs SMU
CollegeFootballNews.com: First Responder Bowl vs TCU

It won't be any of those. We will win the CUSA Championship and Doc will choose the Bahamas Bowl to take
on a lowly MAC team just to say he won yet another bowl game!

Reactions: mlblack16.

I have no desire to play a 6 win uspam team. They have kicked our butts over time. IF we finally beat them I want to beat them when they gave a winning record if it is a bowl game.

Current projections from several sites:

ESPN: Schlabach: New Mexico Bowl vs. San Jose State
Stadium: McMurphy: First Responder Bowl vs Fresno State
CBS Sports: Jerry Palm: vs New Orleans Bowl vs Appalachian State
24/7Sports: New Orleans Bowl vs Appalachian State
Bleacher Report: Boca Raton Bowl vs UCF
Athlon Sports: Gasparilla Bowl vs SMU

Of all the above, we might beat SDS or Fresno State. We would get thrashed by the rest.

Reactions: MARSHALL77
If it's UCF in Boca then I'm all in. Either that or TCU. I like winning bowl games, but I would also like to see us in a bowl against a team with some national name recognition. Doc goes all gas and no breaks in the bowl games so why not. I would take an exciting headline grabbing last second loss to a TCU or UCF over a blowout win against a G5. I'm not saying I prefer to lose a bowl game. It's just a matter of gaining some national headlines and attention we haven't had in the past 15 years. If we can pull off an exciting win against one of those teams even better. Before we get ahead of ourselves we better take care of business and win the next 4 games.

What influence do you speak of?
Oliver Luck? He abandoned his influence when he jumped ship to the XFL.
As much as wvu tries to avoid Marshall, the NCAA keeps putting them together.
It's a double edged sword depending on how you look at it.
On one side, some think MU should be on the same field as wvu.
On another side, some don't think wvu should be playing anyone else.
To hell with it, let 'em play.

I have no desire to play a 6 win uspam team. They have kicked our butts over time. IF we finally beat them I want to beat them when they gave a winning record if it is a bowl game.

To hell with that.
They sure seemed to rub in every win when they played MU at their absolute worst.

If it's UCF in Boca then I'm all in. Either that or TCU. I like winning bowl games, but I would also like to see us in a bowl against a team with some national name recognition. Doc goes all gas and no breaks in the bowl games so why not. I would take an exciting headline grabbing last second loss to a TCU or UCF over a blowout win against a G5. I'm not saying I prefer to lose a bowl game. It's just a matter of gaining some national headlines and attention we haven't had in the past 15 years. If we can pull off an exciting win against one of those teams even better. Before we get ahead of ourselves we better take care of business and win the next 4 games.

Marshall has taken what they could get in terms of best opponent in bowl games for the most part.
Its been discussed before but if I am not mistaken, MU doesn't get choice of bowl selection.
In either case, MU takes advantage of whomever they play and wins consistently.

I love watching all of you argue about which bowl you’re going to when we’re on the outside looking in for the second consecutive year. It’s all about perspective.

What influence do you speak of?
Oliver Luck? He abandoned his influence when he jumped ship to the XFL.
As much as wvu tries to avoid Marshall, the NCAA keeps putting them together.
It's a double edged sword depending on how you look at it.
On one side, some think MU should be on the same field as wvu.
On another side, some don't think wvu should be playing anyone else.
To hell with it, let 'em play.

Whether they play or not.. or SHOULD play or not (personally I think they should in basketball every year but not football), WVU definitely does NOT have influence to tell bowls who they should and shouldn't select.

It's just more SamC bullshit that we are all used to.

Make up a fact
Someone calls him on his BS
Sam doesn't account for himself
Lather, rinse, repeat..

Marshall has taken what they could get in terms of best opponent in bowl games for the most part.
Its been discussed before but if I am not mistaken, MU doesn't get choice of bowl selection.
In either case, MU takes advantage of whomever they play and wins consistently.
True. CUSA and ESPN decide the pecking order of which school should go to each bowl.

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
TCU, Fresno or UCF would all be great opponents. Cincy is the highest ranked G5 in the first playoff rankings. That puts them in a New Years 6 Bowl if they can hold on to that ranking.

Week of November 11th:

ESPN: Schlabach: Frisco Bowl vs. UCF
Sports Illustrated: Independence Bowl vs Boston College
USA Today: Bahamas Bowl vs Miami (OH)
Stadium: McMurphy: First Responder Bowl vs Nevada
CBS Sports: Jerry Palm: Frisco Bowl vs Temple
24/7Sports: Frisco Bowl vs Temple
Bleacher Report: New Orleans Bowl vs Arkansas State
Athlon Sports: New Orleans Bowl vs Appalachian State

Week of November 11th:

Sports Illustrated: Independence Bowl vs Boston College
Stadium: McMurphy: First Responder Bowl vs Nevada
CBS Sports: Jerry Palm: Frisco Bowl vs Temple
24/7Sports: Frisco Bowl vs Temple
Bleacher Report: New Orleans Bowl vs Arkansas State
Athlon Sports: New Orleans Bowl vs Appalachian State

Why would the Military Bowl even consider a rematch game with Cincy when we were so outclassed in the game at home by the Bearcats??

Going into the last week of the regular season and some interesting scenarios being projected:

Sports Illustrated: No update posted yet
Stadium: McMurphy: Texas Bowl vs Oklahoma State
Sporting News: Bahamas Bowl vs Miami (OH)
CBS Sports: Jerry Palm: Frisco Bowl vs SMU
24/7Sports: First Responders Bowl vs Buffalo
Bleacher Report: New Orleans Bowl vs Appalachian State
Athlon Sports: Birmingham Bowl vs SMU

Reactions: Chris McLaughlin
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT