ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl season

Conference contracts will be honored before an at large team gets in
I wouldn't hold my breath. No way a minor bowl wouldn't go after a sub .500 P5 team like UVA as opposed to a 6-4 UTEP or Troy, etc. They'd figure something out. jmo.
Call me a cynic.

Reactions: RhinoD
I agree with Twolf... If you are a bowl and the goal is to get people interested and fill seats then you have to look at all factors.

For example, would the New Orleans Bowl rather have a second place Sun Belt team or a 4-5 LSU?... Of course that answer is obvious. Would the Gasparilla Bowl rather have 5-4 FAU or 3-6 Florida State? Etc.

We've seen in previous years that tie-ins can be "negotiated" so in a year with no requirements, who's to say that "negotiating" doesn't just extend to all the bowls taking whoever they want? If 2020 has proven anything, its that contracts (tie-ins) are meaningless. There's always a work around, out clause, act of God provision, etc.

Will the bowls have the same seating limitations that have been in place for the regular season? If that’s the case then butts in seats won’t really matter for choosing bowl opponents.

Will the bowls have the same seating limitations that have been in place for the regular season? If that’s the case then butts in seats won’t really matter for choosing bowl opponents.

That is a great question... My guess is it will vary by state like the regular season. The FL bowls may have full capacity by December (the Dolphins can go full tilt now if they choose to). While the CA bowls my have no fans at all. And everything in between.

Um, wonder if a "nearby" bowl, say the Belk Bowl in Charlotte, if it is still called that, would entertain a match-up between a Herd team that was, perhaps, 9-0 or 10-0, and a 4-6 WVU squad? Of course, you would require one of the government's latest, up to date Super Computers to measure the speed at which the Athletic Department in Morganhole turns down that bowl bid!! Quicker than a nanosecond to paraphrase one of Sonny Randle's golden gems!!

Um, wonder if a "nearby" bowl, say the Belk Bowl in Charlotte, if it is still called that, would entertain a match-up between a Herd team that was, perhaps, 9-0 or 10-0, and a 4-6 WVU squad? Of course, you would require one of the government's latest, up to date Super Computers to measure the speed at which the Athletic Department in Morganhole turns down that bowl bid!! Quicker than a nanosecond to paraphrase one of Sonny Randle's golden gems!!
CUSA doesn't have a connection to the bowl game in Charlotte. Conference bowl contracts will still be honored regardless the number of teams bowl eligible.
I believe that the Belk Bowl matches the SEC and ACC. In the past we could have hoped a league didn't have enough teams eligible for us to get a spot. That can't happen this year since every team in every league is eligible. We will be relegated to a CUSA bowl only unless for some reason a bowl wanted to trade

No bowl game is going to put MU and WVU together, even if its close like Charlotte... Also, you have to realize if your scenario played out and MU was say 9-0 and WVU was 4-5 the powers that be in Morgantown and with the Big12 would never let that matchup happen.

The best/foolproof scenario is win the CUSA championship and then get to pick from the CUSA slate of games... Try to find a game with a beatable P5 opponent or a ranked team from the AAC. (This is all assuming whoever shakes out between Cincy, UCF, Tulsa and SMU gets the New Years Day spot).

Reactions: Herdmeister
No bowl game is going to put MU and WVU together, even if its close like Charlotte... Also, you have to realize if your scenario played out and MU was say 9-0 and WVU was 4-5 the powers that be in Morgantown and with the Big12 would never let that matchup happen.

The best/foolproof scenario is win the CUSA championship and then get to pick from the CUSA slate of games... Try to find a game with a beatable P5 opponent or a ranked team from the AAC. (This is all assuming whoever shakes out between Cincy, UCF, Tulsa and SMU gets the New Years Day spot).

I don't think the Big 12 is going to bend over backwards for wvu because of some petty BS like their reaction to playing Marshall.
If the Big 12 tells wvu to bark like a dog, wvu doesn't just bark, they roll over, play dead, beg, drool, and then bark...hell, Shane Lyons would probably actually eat dog food if asked.
wvu would play WV State if the Big 12 told them to...and if an MU squad looks really good for the conference, Big 12 would put them out there and tell them to fetch a win.
Regardless, MU is gonna find the best team to fill in for the bowl game...and that'll make some on here, happy.

CUSA doesn't have a connection to the bowl game in Charlotte. Conference bowl contracts will still be honored regardless the number of teams bowl eligible.
I believe that the Belk Bowl matches the SEC and ACC. In the past we could have hoped a league didn't have enough teams eligible for us to get a spot. That can't happen this year since every team in every league is eligible. We will be relegated to a CUSA bowl only unless for some reason a bowl wanted to trade

Correct, Herdmeister. Game has been the Belk Bowl since 2011 and primarily between SEC and ACC except for 2012 and 2013 when Cincy was a participant. For several years prior through 2009 it was known as the Meineke (sp.) Bowl and such schools as BC, Pitt, Louisville, all later ACC members, and WVU and South Florida (twice) were in the Bowl.

That is a great question... My guess is it will vary by state like the regular season. The FL bowls may have full capacity by December (the Dolphins can go full tilt now if they choose to). While the CA bowls my have no fans at all. And everything in between.
Most bowl games this year will be like a regular season game. No festivities. The teams will fly in the day before the game and leave after the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT