ADVERTISEMENT

Caitlin Clark - Is She Getting Screwed by Nike's $28 Million Deal?

SamSwimmer

Platinum Buffalo
Aug 16, 2015
I'm all for Clark making bank (honestly), including any branding deals she can get like Nike. Dave Portnoy is trying to argue her worth is easily $80 million. That just seems way too high. You're talking Venus & Serena money.

I can't wrap my head around the fact there wasn't an initial shoe offering (according to reports). For her first two years in the WNBA I think they could actually move a lot of them. After that, I think the fact the WNBA isn't that popular would cool interest but there's money to be made while her name is hot.

I have no clue about appropriate value, but I could see if they release this shoe in a variety of colors (ie a team shoe) there could be a big market here. School hoops, travel/AAU ball, etc. It's not a slam dunk though, so I disagree with Portnoy here.

Surely Clark is the biggest draw ever seen in Women's basketball, but how much of that draw is inherently tied to the collegiate landscape versus an anemic WNBA?

I have no clue about appropriate value, but I could see if they release this shoe in a variety of colors (ie a team shoe) there could be a big market here. School hoops, travel/AAU ball, etc. It's not a slam dunk though, so I disagree with Portnoy here.

Surely Clark is the biggest draw ever seen in Women's basketball, but how much of that draw is inherently tied to the collegiate landscape versus an anemic WNBA?
Agreed. If the shoe looks good (I'm not a sneaker guy) I could see it being popular with with female players of all ages. It's the visibility (or invisibility) of the WNBA that makes me skeptical of Portnoy's number. I would actually like to see an honest evaluation at the end of her first four years to see what the curve looks like.

Reactions: -CarlHungus-
Damn Dave portnoy spouting bullshit whoever would’ve thought.

Anyway, I saw earlier the other deals that she was offered and Nike’s was by far the best. If her star keeps rising somehow they’ll have made a good deal for themselves, and she basically just sold that potential future revenue for a “I can retire comfortably if I don’t screw up” amount of money now, which I absolutely would’ve done if I were here as well.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
White people don't sell shoes, especially Nike. Nike is a black brand now. Or young hip brand. But a white chick is not good for Nike. She doesn't fit their image at all.

Think about their superstars. Not her.

White people don't sell shoes, especially Nike. Nike is a black brand now. Or young hip brand. But a white chick is not good for Nike. She doesn't fit their image at all.

Think about their superstars. Not her.
Their paycheck fits nicely into her bank account. Maybe she should have gone with New Balance.

I guess my biggest question concerning Caitlin is whether or not the WNBA will turn her into a Lesbo like 98% of the rest of them.

Hope her upbringing in the conservative republican dominate midwest will keep her normal. She does date a man, so seems like it's going the way my God intended things to be.

I guess my biggest question concerning Caitlin is whether or not the WNBA will turn her into a Lesbo like 98% of the rest of them.

Hope her upbringing in the conservative republican dominate midwest will keep her normal. She does date a man, so seems like it's going the way my God intended things to be.
You know one of those Amazon butch places in the WNBA would like to flatcock her.

He is NOT your God. You are without God.

I actually think this is some of the hate toward her....she's a straight midwest white girl (?deplorable demographic? though college educated females maybe doesn't fit) and she got all this attention they couldn't get for years...so there's some resentment there.

I actually think this is some of the hate toward her....she's a straight midwest white girl (?deplorable demographic? though college educated females maybe doesn't fit) and she got all this attention they couldn't get for years...so there's some resentment there.
What hate?

What hate?

Not from the public, from some of these older players.

“My record was hidden from everyone for 43 years. … I’ll just go ahead and get the elephant out of the room: I don’t think my record has been broken because you can’t duplicate what you’re not duplicating,” Woodard said at the Women’s Basketball Coaches Association convention in Cleveland on Saturday. “Unless you come with a men’s basketball and a 2-point shot, hey, you know.”

“You can help me spread that word,” Woodard added.

===

Taurasi said that if Paige Bueckers and Clark were in the same draft class, she would take Bueckers No. 1.

Not from the public, from some of these older players.

“My record was hidden from everyone for 43 years. … I’ll just go ahead and get the elephant out of the room: I don’t think my record has been broken because you can’t duplicate what you’re not duplicating,” Woodard said at the Women’s Basketball Coaches Association convention in Cleveland on Saturday. “Unless you come with a men’s basketball and a 2-point shot, hey, you know.”

“You can help me spread that word,” Woodard added.

===

Taurasi said that if Paige Bueckers and Clark were in the same draft class, she would take Bueckers No. 1.
Well Bueckers is a straight white midwestern girl too so I doubt that played a factor. Woodard just sounds bitter. She has a little bit of a point that, as with most sports, you have to keep the context of the era that was being played in in mind, but yeah she just sounds bitter.

Reactions: -CarlHungus-
Well Bueckers is white too so I doubt that played a factor. Woodard just sounds bitter. She has a little bit of a point that, as with most sports, you have to keep the context of the era that was being played in in mind, but yeah she just sounds bitter.
The Bueckers thing may just be UConn players lookig out for one another.

I think there was some back and forth with Taurisi too and someone else "hating" but I have hit my limit for women's basketball reading for the day.

Well Bueckers is a straight white midwestern girl too so I doubt that played a factor. Woodard just sounds bitter. She has a little bit of a point that, as with most sports, you have to keep the context of the era that was being played in in mind, but yeah she just sounds bitter.
You let Woodard know that if she wants to get real about this, I've scored more points on any level than her and Caitlin combined. From 5 to 9 years old, I had a nerf rim hanging on the bedroom door, and I would go off for more than 300 points a day. Hell, I scored more points in a single year than they did combined.

While talking records, I probably have gotten more nook than rifle, but that belongs in its own thread. Can't compete with big Wilt though.

The Paige Bueckers nude lesbian pictures that were just leaked are so wrong. How dare people look at nude pictures of a college aged woman who was posing nude and hooking up with another woman.

We should only care about her box . . . -ing out talent.

Well, Eat Me!
Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT