ADVERTISEMENT

CAN WE RETURN TO THE TOP?

So, in your world Marshall is the G5 Alabama. Because?????

Ok, somebody in CUSA is the CUSA Vanderbilt. Who would that be?

And, more importantly, who are CUSA’s Auburn, Florida, Texas A&M, Tennessee or Georgia?

They can’t all be Vandy, you know.

MU is just somehow some magic entity this is just automatically better than the others..
Unfortunately, under Doc Holliday we proved we were not much better than the others on the field.

Because we are supposed to TRY to win, just like all the other teams are as well
Why do you want to be just like any other team?? "Trying" is not a championship mindset. "Trying" is a minimal effort and measure of mediocrity. Not only do you apparently not know football, your attitude would be pure toxic to anyone looking to achieve being the best at what they do. Move on. This team isn't for you.

No, I want to win. The difference is that I consider it an accomplishment, and you consider it something that is just supposed to happen, because it is supposed to, because, well no one can really say.

So, in your world Marshall is the G5 Alabama. Because?????

Ok, somebody in CUSA is the CUSA Vanderbilt. Who would that be?

And, more importantly, who are CUSA’s Auburn, Florida, Texas A&M, Tennessee or Georgia?

Depends. You tell me which of our conference mates is better than Vandy, week in week out….
And if none of them are? Damn straight they are ALL Vandies…..

Sam completely misses the point of playing collegiate sports. His mentality is from the late 1800s, when football was just something different than throwing horse shoes, and only a handful of schools even fielded a team.

Thankfully, Sam's opinion doesn't mean squat, and we can all just nod and pretend to agree. If he's happy just to see us have the funds to buy a football to play with then he's going to be mind blown if/when we begin to win CUSA championship on a routine basis.

Depends. You tell me which of our conference mates is better than Vandy, week in week out….
And if none of them are? Damn straight they are ALL Vandies…..
You do understand what an analogy is, right?

No reason to backtrack now. You really don't want to win.....because "trying" to be like everyone else is the accomplishment you've already stated is the standard.
No, trying LIKE everyone else, Which is why our opponents are deserving of our respect and beating them is an accomplishment.

But, go ahead, give a non-childish answer to why Marshall is just “supposed” to win and the other schools in our league are somehow “not supposed” to. Go ahead. Marshall is _______ .

No, trying LIKE everyone else, Which is why our opponents are deserving of our respect and beating them is an accomplishment.

But, go ahead, give a non-childish answer to why Marshall is just “supposed” to win and the other schools in our league are somehow “not supposed” to. Go ahead. Marshall is _______ .
Very good, Sam. “When did you stop beating your wife?” asked the sly attorney…..

Because we are supposed to TRY to win, just like all the other teams are as well.

However, the childish idea that, for reasons no one can list, MU is just somehow some magic entity this is just automatically better than the others, is, well, childish.

That is why I appreciate every win over our peer institutions in this conference. I consider each an accomplishment, and understand that everyone is TRYING.
C'mon man. Which is it? In previous threads you have stated that not everyone in CUSA is TRYING. Now you're saying everyone is TRYING.

Reactions: raleighherdfan
why Marshall is just “supposed” to win and the other schools in our league are somehow “not supposed” to.
You keep making this ignorant statement of what some are saying, but provide no proof supporting it.

In fact, if you had a brain and the slightest ability to comprehend this conversation, you would see I'm suggesting exactly the opposite by making the argument that all teams, regardless of conference (if they want to be champions) should expect to win.

"Trying" (your measure of success) is a participation trophy. Move on. This program isn't for you anymore.

In previous threads you have stated that not everyone in CUSA is TRYING.
He really has no idea what he is rambling about at this point. It is apparent he's the kind of "fan" content with the concept of participation trophies overall. Doc was his perfect coach...another reason he most likely soured on Marshall fans eager for a new start.

I said, correctly, that not everyone in CUSA is trying, AT BASKETBALL. About a third of the league only has a team because the rules say they must.

Still no answers to the simple question. Marshall is just “supposed” to win, and the rest of the conference is not, because ___________?

Still no answers to the simple question. Marshall is just “supposed” to win, and the rest of the conference is not, because ___________?
How does one answer a question with a premise/assertion based on a fabrication?

I would also add...what you've written is actually a (false) statement....not a "question" to be answered.

You want to try again? Please show us where that has ever been stated.

Last edited:
How does one answer a question with a premise/assertion based on a fabrication?
It is not a “fabrication”. It is the basic view of most posters on this board, and, sad to say, probably most MU fans generally. You see it every time someone posts about how MU is somehow “G5 Alabama” and EVERY OTHER CUSA team is “G5 Vanderbilt”, when people post about “Conference DOA”, when people say we should automatically “dominate” WKU and MTSU, when posters say UNCC or ODU are “not our peers”, how CUSA is “the lowest G5 league”, and other such nonsense.

Fact is, the poisonous super-fan turned rotten and inward is childish. But more importantly, it is killing our program. When someone, like yourself, starts from the premise that MU should win every game it plays, at least every conference game, because MU is, for reasons unexplained, somehow just somehow slumming among these other unworthy programs who are not any good, then NOTHING that happens pleases. A perfect record is, to you, the minimum required for C level work, and NBD.

It is killing this program.

• Haha
Reactions: ru4_mu2
I guess he still can't show where it's ever been stated by one fan, let alone the majority of fans.
At least those that actually have competitive programs.

And yes Marshall should roll though CUSA every single season. Teams like Charlotte and ODU shouldn't be competitive with us. Nor should WKU or either of the F_Us. We are in a conference that has a bunch of teams that your casual and even hardcore Saturday CFB fan doesn't even know exists.

Charlotte has only been playing since 2013.
FIU has only been playing since 2002.
FAU has only been playing football since 2001 and only been FBS since 2004.
ODU has only been playing football since 2009 and only been FBS since 2014.
WKU has only been FBS since 2009.
UTSA has only been playing football since 2011.

I mean you rail against the our fans for not having a lot respect for our competition. No on does.

No. There are zero excuses for why Marshall doesn't dominate this conference …We should be to CUSA what Bama is to the SEC,

I hate to break it to you bud, but Charlotte and ODU are not our peers.

I win

When someone, like yourself, starts from the premise that MU should win every game
You cant stop lying can you? Please repost where I or anyone else has said this.... You cant....because you're a liar.

You see it every time someone posts about how MU is somehow “G5 Alabama” and EVERY OTHER CUSA team is “G5 Vanderbilt”,
You've attempted to make a Vandy analogy!! You introduced a comparison in this thread!!(granted it blew up in your face).

how CUSA is “the lowest G5 league”,
Take it up and start arguing with the ranking organizations who actually make this point then.

A perfect record is, to you, the minimum required for C level work, and NBD.
Please repost such quotes. (You wont, because you cant)Again where have I or anyone else ever written a perfect record is the minimum required? Your continued lying isn't winning you the argument.

, when posters say UNCC or ODU are “not our peers”
educate yourself

Why does this offend you? What is UNCC's history in football? What have they "accomplished" in their history other than "trying" to play (and beating Doc)? Should ODU also be considered an "equal" in history and prominence despite not having a football team for 68 years (starting again in 2009)? These are logical questions built on FACTS.

Only an idiot would suggest these questions place fault on those programs (they do not) while at the same time asserting Marshall (fans) should accept "trying" to play as a measure of accomplishment, and pause it's efforts to dominate a league until younger programs like UNCC and ODU build up (they should not).

Fact is, the poisonous super-fan turned rotten and inward is childish. But more importantly, it is killing our program
^^More rambling words by you that have little meaning.^^ The super-fan you describe isn't turning "inward" at all. Wanting to be a part of a winning program (fan, coach or team member), sharing the experience of being a part of a storied successful program, including the joy of accomplishment of winning championships is an outward emotion and desire.

If "trying" to play was the "accomplishment"...a championship would never be necessary. That's the rotten-loser position that would kill the purpose of sport.

Reactions: caliherd
We now bow with humble servitude and awe in the presence of King Samses the 3rd, son of Samiam, grandson of the putentate King Salmonella......nay, we kneel ! !

p.s. I just saw on the NC Central Eagles message board that they have an entire thread going on Marshall. Most are impressed with the fact that when the Herd rings up 70 on them, they can take comfort in knowing that Huff "appreciates" them.....

• Haha
Reactions: raleighherdfan
If I could figure out how to attach an image, I'd post a participation trophy for Sam lol

Dear Sam,

We appreciate you.

Love,
Superfans
Trophy_Shopfiy_1024x1024.png

You cant stop lying can you? Please repost where I or anyone else has said this.... You cant....because you're a liar.

You've attempted to make a Vandy analogy!! You introduced a comparison in this thread!!(granted it blew up in your face).

Take it up and start arguing with the ranking organizations who actually make this point then.

Please repost such quotes. (You wont, because you cant)Again where have I or anyone else ever written a perfect record is the minimum required? Your continued lying isn't winning you the argument.

educate yourself

Why does this offend you? What is UNCC's history in football? What have they "accomplished" in their history other than "trying" to play (and beating Doc)? Should ODU also be considered an "equal" in history and prominence despite not having a football team for 68 years (starting again in 2009)? These are logical questions built on FACTS.

Only an idiot would suggest these questions place fault on those programs (they do not) while at the same time asserting Marshall (fans) should accept "trying" to play as a measure of accomplishment, and pause it's efforts to dominate a league until younger programs like UNCC and ODU build up (they should not).

^^More rambling words by you that have little meaning.^^ The super-fan you describe isn't turning "inward" at all. Wanting to be a part of a winning program (fan, coach or team member), sharing the experience of being a part of a storied successful program, including the joy of accomplishment of winning championships is an outward emotion and desire.

If "trying" to play was the "accomplishment"...a championship would never be necessary. That's the rotten-loser position that would kill the purpose of sport.
Then please answer the question. Marshall is supposed to win, and the other teams are beneath us, because __________?

W-S made the Vandy analogy. Did you even read the thread. But, go ahead, answer the question. If MU is somehow “the G5 Alabama” then who are the CUSA analogies to Auburn, Georgia, Florida, LSU, TAMU, etc? W-S says we are Alabama and EVERY OTHER TEAM is Vandy, do you agree, or not? Answer the question before name calling.

OK, EXACTLY WHAT, is the “acceptable conference record”? If it is anything but “perfect” then you disagree with the majority of the posters in this thread, take it up with them. Answer please.

But, more importantly, exactly which CUSA teams are legitimate opponents who we should be proud to defeat, understanding that this is an accomplishment, and which are not? Do you, or do you not, agree with the majority of posters in this thread, that there are no other legitimate teams in CUSA, just MU, which is supposed to win, because it is supposed to? ANSWER, before more name calling.

Au contraire, King. I said (in terms of Vandy): “Tell me which of our conference mates can beat Vandy, week in, week out? AND - if the answer is none? Then - damn straight they are all Vandys!! I don’t think I said Marshall = Alabama, but I did ? whether ‘Bama “appreciates” beating Vandy.

And btw, your highness: nobody on here can be forced to do anything, especially to have to respond in a certain fashion because another member “demands” that they do so……

And that is just in this one thread. The childlike superfandom you see at places like WVU, but turned inward and thus rotten. The circular argument that Marshall is supposed to win because it is supposed to. With no respect for our peers and thus no respect for our team. Childlike.

And it will consume coach after coach, because NOTHING that happens here is unexpected by the rotten Superfans and NOTHING that happens here will be appreciated.
Sam exactly what is your problem and why do you even want to post on Herd Nation? How about something constructive?

Reactions: ru4_mu2
Then please answer the question. Marshall is supposed to win, and the other teams are beneath us, because __________?

W-S made the Vandy analogy. Did you even read the thread. But, go ahead, answer the questi on. If MU is somehow “the G5 Alabama” then who are the CUSA analogies to Auburn, Georgia, Florida, LSU, TAMU, etc? W-S says we are Alabama and EVERY OTHER TEAM is Vandy, do you agree, or not? Answer the question before name calling.

OK, EXACTLY WHAT, is the “acceptable conference record”? If it is anything but “perfect” then you disagree with the majority of the posters in this thread, take it up with them. Answer please.

But, more importantly, exactly which CUSA teams are legitimate opponents who we should be proud to defeat, understanding that this is an accomplishment, and which are not? just MU, which is supposed to win, because it is supposed to? ANSWER, before more name calling.
You claimed I and others only accept a perfect record. You cant provide those quotes so now attempt reposting your lying assertions and ask more questions based on those assertions. A majority of the posters have NOT used the "perfect" record as the only "acceptable" record as you claimed. How can I agree with the comments of others that have never been made?

With that said, an acceptable conference record varies from year to year and team to team. I would judge the "acceptability" of a record based on variables of that specific team and the competition they play throughout a given year. That's exactly what a majority of the fans actually do here. Start paying attention.

" If MU is somehow “the G5 Alabama” then who are the CUSA analogies to Auburn, Georgia, Florida, LSU, TAMU, etc?"

I dont view MU and CUSA the exact same as Bama and SEC. The better, more informed questions to ask me are: Do I think Marshall should adopt the culture of an Alabama? Establish a mindset and an expectation of competing for and winning a conference title every year? Be viewed as the dominant team in their league YOY? Respected by coaches and players throughout the country for their accomplishments in those endeavors? My answer: Yes to all. That's more than "trying" to win.

"who we should be proud to defeat,"

Should we feel guilt in winning?? Who exactly on this board has ever expressed guilt for MU winning? Is this another attempt at an unsubstantiated claim?

"Then please answer the question. Marshall is supposed to win, and the other teams are beneath us, because __________?"

You still do not understand this is not a "question"? Besides, I clarified and gave you context to this "question" when I replied earlier in the thread. You choose to ignore that context (while also refusing to answer my real questions that have real answers) seems to be your personal problem a majority of posters keep pointing out .

Let me finish the statement for you anyway: Marshall is supposed to win, and the other teams are beneath us, because this is the only comment Sammy writes when discussing differences between the high expectations and accomplishments of championship minded CFB programs vs. all others that only try to play.

Reactions: caliherd
Since when is guilt the opposite of pride? You really cannot be that dumb, so I am going to assume that you are just avoiding the question. The fact is that most posters in this thread say that our fellow CUSA members are below us, something that we should feel shame in playing and no sense of pride or accomplishment in beating, I simply asked if you agreed with those posters, or not. You refused to answer. Because, IMHO, an honest answer from you would force you to admit that you are likewise one of the super-fans who sees no worth in our conference mates.

And thus part of the problem

Since when is guilt the opposite of pride?
something that we should feel shame in playing and no sense of pride or accomplishment in beating

Again...who has expressed shame or remorse in winning???? Please, link us to the comments of someone being remorseful of a win.....You wont...because you cant....because IMHO you're a liar. Fans have been expressing exactly the opposite of your claims for the last several years, when demanding we win and play for championships more consistently!
Why do you not have a sense of pride in program or new coach that wishes to instill that attitude across the program? (ANSWER THE QUESTION!)

I simply asked if you agreed with those posters, or not.
You did NOT simply ask. You claimed I said something that I never did and then attempted to buffer those ignorant assertions with questions based on a completely false premise. Quit lying.

You refused to answer.
I've actually answered every legitimate question you asked with additional comments for context. Everyone here can read this thread for themselves. Here is another response to your silly assertion below .

would force you to admit that you are likewise one of the super-fans who sees no worth in our conference mates.
The "worth" in our conference mates would be my complete joy in seeing them curb stomped and demoralized by our team's superior play. Then waving "bye-bye" to them as we roll out victorious. That would not be a problem for me at all.

We've clearly established this renewed energy and hope for an improved attitude toward playing and winning championships at MU is not for you. I "appreciate you trying" to convince us otherwise.

This guys SamC is obviously just trolling you all, and you are letting him do it. I have to assume this sam is not actually such a moron, but is just trying to mess with you

This question might be better asked in a few years with a new coach in town. But I was wondering if we can return to the "Glory Days", the magic run we had from 1997-2002. IMO we were the darling of the G5 world. Since then ,others have taken our place- Boise, UCF and recently U of Cincinnati. In all farness to Doc, when he took over we were on the verge of falling off the map. To his credit, he had some success, albeit not enough to keep his job. Coach Huff is new and says all the right stuff but only time will tell if he can win.
So my question is, what do we need to be doing to get there again? We have a solid fan base, a IPF that is state of the art. We have a good tradition we have Midway hotdogs and HerdNation. What else do we need to regain our position as the top G5 school?
WIN

Don't see any valid reason why the HERD can't ascend to the very TOP of the absolute BOTTOM of G5: CUSA! Any Questions?

ESPN, the focus of evil in the sports world, has always wanted the “little engine that could” story to stay in one place. It was fine with that place being us, but the world does not work that way. So it has settled on Boise. But the world does not work that way. No matter the efforts of ESPN’s thought controllers, others will rise and fall over time.

Can MU make it back to the “top”?

IMHO, no. This fanbase, once among the best at this level, has changed. That fanbase makes this an undesirable job and an undesirable place to play.

Once we were dominating the MAC. The only criticism of the MAC you heard was from the petty jealous Spamite crew. That era’s fanbase was happy to dominate the MAC. That era’s fanbase said nothing about how weak the MAC was. That era’s fanbase was happy to be on TV every now and then. That era’s fanbase was happy to go to a ginned up “bowl game” in a frozen suburb of bombed out Detroit, playing before 20% of capacity on ESPN whatever. That era’s fanbase understood that basketball was #2, and more than that, simply understood basketball, and could tell quality play from talk. That era’s fanbase was proud of the stadium and grateful to those who sacrificed of their $$ and of political capital to accomplish it. And they gave of their time, and of their money.

Today, very different. Today’s fanbase both expects to dominate CUSA, and regards CUSA as nothing and winning it as nothing. It has no respect for our opponents. Today’s fanbase both expects to go to a bowl, and considers the bowls that EVERY G5 school, save the one access bowl slot per year, go to as somehow beneath them. Today’s fanbase, in an era where EVERY game playing in the country is on TV, lacks the ability to look up where the game is on, or somehow feels that the channel, or internet stream, we are on is just not good enough. Today’s fanbase lauds a mediocre basketball team as world beaters. Today’s fanbase complains that they cannot possibly be expected to attend a game in something lacking the amenities of Jerry World. And, most of today’s fanbase, sits around and bitches about why “they” (some undefined mix of the state, city, and unnamed rich people) don’t do something about this or that need.

In sum, today’s rotten super-fan turned inward fanbase expects to win every game, but doesn’t consider that an accomplishment. This means is did not have Doc’s back, and won’t have Huff’s back. It will consume him, just as it consumed Doc, and continue to consume coach after coach.

Until it grows up and realizes that:

* THIS CONFERENCE is OUR conference, made up of peer institutions who are all trying to play football at this level. Worthy of our respect.
* The situation vis conference membership and vis how G5 football works in terms of TV, in terms of bowls, and in terms of notice, is HOW IT IS.

And if those two things are not to your taste, the Marshall sports are not for you. Move on. We will be better off without you.
You have to be the most miserable/depressing personality I have ever encountered on a message board. I cannot fathom why you continue to post all this nonsense. If we are such a sorry and miserable fan base then why do you continue stick around? My guess is it is because no one else will talk to you in life.....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT