ADVERTISEMENT

Carl Tacy

bbneutralfan

Gold Buffalo
Sep 29, 2010
Former Herd head basketball coach died today at the age of 87. He was an assistant at Marshall for one year (1970-71) and became head coach for one year (1971-72) and led the Herd to a 23-4 record and an NCAA appearance before heading to Wake Forest. Always a gentleman Rest In Peace Coach.

I met him several years ago at a local retirement gathering for a friend. When I started talking about that magical, miracle season, he lit up!! I think he had a hard time imagining what a lift it (The Dance, and really the entire damn season) gave the community....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w07a27htfkjdue4/Photo Aug 17, 18 50 31.jpg?dl=0

Lee, Stacy & Mike D.....prob fall 1971
I got permission to make the guide full-size and I wanted to get a shot that would work for recruiting, too. I think Joe Barta took the photo. Loved Mike's sport coat.

I got permission to make the guide full-size and I wanted to get a shot that would work for recruiting, too. I think Joe Barta took the photo. Loved Mike's sport coat.
I think T Kinsey would approve !! He seems to be the fashion plate for the current squad...

RIP Coach. He really was a gentleman. So happy I was able to work a full season with him. We had some great times. Brings to mind lots of stories.
OMG - triple OT in the newly minted MMI vs St Johns....and winning! The Oral Roberts win on the road...who did we lose to that season? (other than Bo Lamar & the Rajun Cajuns in Las Cruces NM....)

OMG - triple OT in the newly minted MMI vs St Johns....and winning! The Oral Roberts win on the road...who did we lose to that season? (other than Bo Lamar & the Rajun Cajuns in Las Cruces NM....)

I believe the other losses were Marquette, Morehead, Miami in old Millett Hall.
Don’t laugh at Morehead, they were really good.

Reactions: ohio herd
One of my favorite memories was playing at Ohio. They won the MAC that year. A lot of my friends were Ohio players; I was really close to two of them. It was one of the best games we played all year. I was at the scorers table. Steve Swisher, Nick's Dad, stopped by to say hello. It was real homecoming. Mid second-half we were really running them out of the Convo. After one fast break basket, one of my friends ran by and said, "Yage's, call them off!" He was laughing and so did all of us at the scorers table. Only Jim Snyder wasn't. It was his worst loss ever at home. Coach Snyder was a real mentor to me, so today's news only kindled thoughts of all of those guys that meant so much to me along the way. RIP all of them.

Morehead was really good, that year it was at their place, and we were still working on the all-out fast break offense ...and full court defense.

I was playing college ball at that time but kept up with the Herd. Check and see but I remember the Morehead loss as a home game.

>Type Opponent Conf Tm Opp OT W L Streak Arena
Wed, Dec 8, 1971 REG Saint Peter's Ind W 106 71 1 0 W 1 Memorial Field House
2 Sat, Dec 11, 1971 REG George Washington Ind W 97 73 2 0 W 2 Memorial Field House
3 Mon, Dec 13, 1971 REG @ Morehead State OVC W 105 82 3 0 W 3 Wetherby Gymnasium
4 Fri, Dec 17, 1971 REG Mississippi State SEC W 95 69 4 0 W 4 Memorial Field House
5 Sat, Dec 18, 1971 REG St. John's (NY) (8) Ind W 110 107 5 0 W 5 Memorial Field House
6 Mon, Dec 20, 1971 REG Maine Yankee W 100 68 6 0 W 6 Memorial Field House
7 Mon, Dec 27, 1971 REG N Wisconsin Big Ten W 85 83 7 0 W 7
8 Tue, Dec 28, 1971 REG @ Marquette (2) Ind L 72 74 7 1 L 1 Milwaukee Arena
9 Thu, Dec 30, 1971 REG Ohio MAC W 88 81 8 1 W 1 Memorial Field House
10 Thu, Jan 6, 1972 REG Morehead State OVC L 98 103 8 2 L 1 Memorial Field House
11 Sat, Jan 8, 1972 REG Western Michigan MAC W 102 77 9 2 W 1 Memorial Field House
12 Wed, Jan 19, 1972 REG Miami (OH) MAC W 81 63 10 2 W 2 Memorial Field House
13 Sat, Jan 22, 1972 REG @ Bowling Green State MAC W 103 80 11 2 W 3 Anderson Arena
14 Sat, Feb 5, 1972 REG N Long Island University Ind W 70 61 12 2 W 4
15 Sat, Feb 12, 1972 REG Bowling Green State MAC W 91 67 13 2 W 5 Memorial Field House
16 Wed, Feb 16, 1972 REG @ Ohio MAC W 95 76 14 2 W 6 Convocation Center
17 Mon, Feb 21, 1972 REG @ Saint Francis (PA) Ind W 95 80 15 2 W 7 Doyle Hall
18 Thu, Mar 2, 1972 REG @ Miami (OH) MAC L 71 77 15 3 L 1 Millett Hall

19 Sat, Mar 11, 1972 NCAA N (L)
Duke correct on the loss (@home) exherdsid correct on the win @ Morehead St (by like 24)

One of my favorite memories was playing at Ohio. They won the MAC that year. A lot of my friends were Ohio players; I was really close to two of them. It was one of the best games we played all year. I was at the scorers table. Steve Swisher, Nick's Dad, stopped by to say hello. It was real homecoming. Mid second-half we were really running them out of the Convo. After one fast break basket, one of my friends ran by and said, "Yage's, call them off!" He was laughing and so did all of us at the scorers table. Only Jim Snyder wasn't. It was his worst loss ever at home. Coach Snyder was a real mentor to me, so today's news only kindled thoughts of all of those guys that meant so much to me along the way. RIP all of them.
I was at that game...4 rows from the top.
When you got up to a certain point, it seemed like the steps started going straight up...like climbing a ladder.

I was at that game...4 rows from the top.
When you got up to a certain point, it seemed like the steps started going straight up...like climbing a ladder.
Two years before Ohio played Bowling Green for the MAC title. The Convo was full and they turned people away at the door. Still their largest home crowd in history, 14102.

ex - our game in MSG vs LIU - did we get to play there from the exposure we gained from ‘67-‘68?
I don't recall, but I would guess Ernie's friend Lou Sahadi may have had some influence. For some reason, I think they were promoting some sort of college game series. Might have even been a part of a doubleheader?

Reactions: GreenDuke
Unfortunately, I was at all 4 losses
We must know each other. I recall the Miami game featured an ice storm, or at least very slick roads during the day? I drove my own car to that game. I also think we knew before that game that we were going to be in the NCAA tourney, or at least we had a pretty good idea.

We must know each other. I recall the Miami game featured an ice storm, or at least very slick roads during the day? I drove my own car to that game. I also think we knew before that game that we were going to be in the NCAA tourney, or at least we had a pretty good idea.
Yes, I remember you well. I was writing for the Wheeling Intelligencer at the time, I made many trips on my own dime since they didn't feel the need to cover The Herd In fact, I interviewed for the job that you ended up getting. After the crash I interviewed with McMullen. He told me straight up that since, at that time, I didn't have a degree I was out of the running. My plan was to finish the degree while working at MU. He did ask to pick my brain on ways to maybe get better coverage around the state. He figured that since I was a state writer my friendship with the other writers might help.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I believe the other losses were Marquette, Morehead, Miami in old Millett Hall.
Don’t laugh at Morehead, they were really good.
The Marquette game was in Milwaukee. The officiating at the end of the game was horrendous. We should have won. McGuire was extremely agitated and made some derogatory comments about us after the game. That game was taken away from us.

The Marquette game was in Milwaukee. The officiating at the end of the game was horrendous. We should have won. McGuire was extremely agitated and made some derogatory comments about us after the game. That game was taken away from us.
I along with Mike Brown, Lowell Cade and Bill Smith a Charleston writer, were the ones that took the brunt of McGuire's comments. That is when he told us the we "f****** hillbillies need to go back to where we came from"

The Marquette game is where I suggested to Coach Tacy that we run the "huddle" play after they introduced us. McGuire was so mad that years later I talked to him and he was still upset. But it was designed to avoid our players from feeling any sort of intimidation, something that they were good at.

Reactions: 19MU88 and goherd73
The Marquette game is where I suggested to Coach Tacy that we run the "huddle" play after they introduced us. McGuire was so mad that years later I talked to him and he was still upset. But it was designed to avoid our players from feeling any sort of intimidation, something that they were good at.

I remember that well. I had no idea that you gave him that idea. Good for you!

~
What is the huddle play?
Yeah - curious as well.....

btw.....historic thread. No negative comments 23 posts in....I guess this subject is the holy grail of Herd basketball....as it should be!

Also - do exsid, ‘Meister or anyone else know if any video exists for that season?

Last edited:

btw.....historic thread. No negative comments 23 posts in....I guess this subject is the holy grail of Herd basketball....as it should be!

Also - do exsid, ‘Meister or anyone else know if any video exists for that season?[/QUOTE

IIRC, someone, maybe HM, posted that Tacy had HERD players and coaches huddle tightly when Marquett's players were introduced. Back then, apparently, Al had his players run down to the opposing bench during the introductions as a form of "intimidation". But Tacy's move forestalled McGuire's ploy and obviously Al didn't take it too kindly.

I though the actual name of that tournament was actually the Milwaukee Classic, with both Marquette and Wisconsin as the co-hosts. Sort of like that Classic tourney played up in Morgantown for a season or two with both WVU and MU as co-hosts.

Tacy only HC for one magical season. Did not remember and realize that MU lost last 2 in a row to finish 23-4?
By the time I moved to Winston Salem (1989), Tacy had been retired for 4 years. I had no idea that he gave up coaching after 13 seasons @ Wake. 220 wins, 4 NCAA’s, 2 elite eights, 2 nit’s. 52 years old. Seems he’d had enough.
I never understood why Marshall never invited him back. I suspect there was a lot of butthurt in the AD over Tacy bolting for the ACC. We owed him better than that imo ....

Also - do exsid, ‘Meister or anyone else know if any video exists for that season?
The huddle pay was the first time we saw a coach keep his team in the huddle as the other teams starters were being announced. Prior to that it was common for announced players to go to the other teams and shake hands before the game.
Of course now we see it all the time. ExSID was a trend setter...

>Type Opponent Conf Tm Opp OT W L Streak Arena
Wed, Dec 8, 1971 REG Saint Peter's Ind W 106 71 1 0 W 1 Memorial Field House
2 Sat, Dec 11, 1971 REG George Washington Ind W 97 73 2 0 W 2 Memorial Field House
3 Mon, Dec 13, 1971 REG @ Morehead State OVC W 105 82 3 0 W 3 Wetherby Gymnasium
4 Fri, Dec 17, 1971 REG Mississippi State SEC W 95 69 4 0 W 4 Memorial Field House
5 Sat, Dec 18, 1971 REG St. John's (NY) (8) Ind W 110 107 5 0 W 5 Memorial Field House
6 Mon, Dec 20, 1971 REG Maine Yankee W 100 68 6 0 W 6 Memorial Field House
7 Mon, Dec 27, 1971 REG N Wisconsin Big Ten W 85 83 7 0 W 7
8 Tue, Dec 28, 1971 REG @ Marquette (2) Ind L 72 74 7 1 L 1 Milwaukee Arena
9 Thu, Dec 30, 1971 REG Ohio MAC W 88 81 8 1 W 1 Memorial Field House
10 Thu, Jan 6, 1972 REG Morehead State OVC L 98 103 8 2 L 1 Memorial Field House
11 Sat, Jan 8, 1972 REG Western Michigan MAC W 102 77 9 2 W 1 Memorial Field House
12 Wed, Jan 19, 1972 REG Miami (OH) MAC W 81 63 10 2 W 2 Memorial Field House
13 Sat, Jan 22, 1972 REG @ Bowling Green State MAC W 103 80 11 2 W 3 Anderson Arena
14 Sat, Feb 5, 1972 REG N Long Island University Ind W 70 61 12 2 W 4
15 Sat, Feb 12, 1972 REG Bowling Green State MAC W 91 67 13 2 W 5 Memorial Field House
16 Wed, Feb 16, 1972 REG @ Ohio MAC W 95 76 14 2 W 6 Convocation Center
17 Mon, Feb 21, 1972 REG @ Saint Francis (PA) Ind W 95 80 15 2 W 7 Doyle Hall
18 Thu, Mar 2, 1972 REG @ Miami (OH) MAC L 71 77 15 3 L 1 Millett Hall

19 Sat, Mar 11, 1972 NCAA N (L)
Duke correct on the loss (@home) exherdsid correct on the win @ Morehead St (by like 24)

Also didn’t realize the the Marquette game was the 2nd night in a row of playing. We had defeated Wisconsin on Monday 12/27/71. Was this a tournament hosted by Marquette similar to the MMI?

By the time I moved to Winston Salem (1989), Tacy had been retired for 4 years. I had no idea that he gave up coaching after 13 seasons @ Wake. 220 wins, 4 NCAA’s, 2 elite eights, 2 nit’s. 52 years old. Seems he’d had enough.
I never understood why Marshall never invited him back. I suspect there was a lot of butthurt in the AD over Tacy bolting for the ACC. We owed him better than that imo ....

He didn’t exactly bolt. Joe McMullen,aka Jughead Joe, was the athletic director who told Tacy to pound sand when he asked for a $5,000 raise after the season. So what could have been an opportunity to keep him for a couple more years turned into a Hank Snow.

Reactions: bbneutralfan
He didn’t exactly bolt. Joe McMullen,aka Jughead Joe, was the athletic director who told Tacy to pound sand when he asked for a $5,000 raise after the season. So what could have been an opportunity to keep him for a couple more years turned into a Hank Snow.
Yeah Duke, I knew that was what happened after '71-'72. My reference to "never inviting him back" would have been the years after 1985 (after he had retired from WFU). Now, it could be that Marshall did reach out to CT and he rebuffaloed them; I guess we will never know. When I contacted Mike H. (about 6 years ago), the Herd was getting ready to honor the players from that squad at halftime of a home game. I suggested it would be great to have the team's head coach present as well. I never heard back from him.

p.s. What is a "Hank Snow"?

Researching the Wisconsin (12/27) and Marquette (12/28) games, and I come across this interesting little tidbit:

"In a historically significant note, the Southwestern Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns made the tournament in their first season of eligibility for postseason play; the next to achieve this feat was North Dakota State in 2009.[4] SW Louisiana also made the tournament in 1973, but due to major infractions that resulted in the basketball program receiving the NCAA death penalty (and very nearly expelled from the NCAA altogether), both appearances have since been vacated and the records expunged.
This was the last year in which the championship game was played on Saturday; it moved to Monday night in 1973."

…...does this mean we technically didn't lose to the Rajun Cajuns?

Last edited:
Yeah Duke, I knew that was what happened after '71-'72. My reference to "never inviting him back" would have been the years after 1985 (after he had retired from WFU). Now, it could be that Marshall did reach out to CT and he rebuffaloed them; I guess we will never know. When I contacted Mike H. (about 6 years ago), the Herd was getting ready to honor the players from that squad at halftime of a home game. I suggested it would be great to have the team's head coach present as well. I never heard back from him.

p.s. What is a "Hank Snow"?

Research Hank Snow and his well known song.

Researching the Wisconsin (12/27) and Marquette (12/28) games, and I come across this interesting little tidbit:

"In a historically significant note, the Southwestern Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns made the tournament in their first season of eligibility for postseason play; the next to achieve this feat was North Dakota State in 2009.[4] SW Louisiana also made the tournament in 1973, but due to major infractions that resulted in the basketball program receiving the NCAA death penalty (and very nearly expelled from the NCAA altogether), both appearances have since been vacated and the records expunged.
This was the last year in which the championship game was played on Saturday; it moved to Monday night in 1973."

…...does this mean we technically didn't lose to the Rajun Cajuns?

SWL was pretty much a two man team. Check out Dwight Lamar who prepped at Columbus East HS and Roy Ebron. Lamar was a teammate of Eddie Ratliff on East’s back to back titles teams of ‘68 and ‘69. Ratliff then starred at Long Beach coached by Jerry Tarkanian. DL ave over 30 a game for his college career.
Ebron was a 6’10” tough guy that a finesse team like Marshall found hard to control. I

SWL was pretty much a two man team. Check out Dwight Lamar who prepped at Columbus East HS and Roy Ebron. Lamar was a teammate of Eddie Ratliff on East’s back to back titles teams of ‘68 and ‘69. Ratliff then starred at Long Beach coached by Jerry Tarkanian. DL ave over 30 a game for his college career.
Ebron was a 6’10” tough guy that a finesse team like Marshall found hard to control. I
Dwight said: you just can call me “Bo”. So, is the SWL death penalty/voided NC2A wins common knowledge? I had never known that....

On Marquette: The Herd gained a measure of revenge during the 1983-84 season. Falling behind a young Rick Majerious (sp?) led Warrior team by 25 points at the half, the Herd stormed back behind David Wade & Larry Watson to win a thriller in the almost new Cam. Still the largest deficit I have seen a Marshall team overcome. I was there - the place went nuts!!

Last edited:
Dwight said: you just can call me “Bo”. So, is the SWL death penalty/voided NC2A wins common knowledge? I had never known that....

On Marquette: The Herd gained a measure of revenge during the 1983-84 season. Falling behind a young Rick Majerious (sp?) led Warrior team by 25 points at the half, the Herd stormed back behind David Wade & Larry Watson to win a thriller in the almost new Cam. Still the largest deficit I have seen a Marshall team overcome. I was there - the place went nuts!!

* Yeah was a big deal to those who follow cbb closely at that time. Since they weren’t a familiar brand the average fan probably paid little attention.

* I too was at the Marquette game, a rockin affair for sure.

That Marquette game in the Cam was GREAT. A terrific comeback. As I recall, Marquette scored the first bucket in the second to extend the halftime lead before the Herd clawed back in it

Reactions: GreenDuke
* Yeah was a big deal to those who follow cbb closely at that time. Since they weren’t a familiar brand the average fan probably paid little attention.

* I too was at the Marquette game, a rockin affair for sure.
Larry did not play on that team. I believe Laverne Evans, David Wade and Jeff Battle led us to that comeback win. Don Turney and Sam Ervin also played that year. It was a great win and we had almost a full house.

Larry did not play on that team. I believe Laverne Evans, David Wade and Jeff Battle led us to that comeback win. Don Turney and Sam Ervin also played that year. It was a great win and we had almost a full house.
I really hesitated about Doc Watson! I knew Wade 100%. THAT 2nd half action would be a nice COVID19 video special? Anybody have a copy?

Reactions: Herd1972
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT