ADVERTISEMENT

Chad Pennington

Don't think so. High level guys like competition
That they do, but kind of like a high school football teams QB is the principals son. Kind of puts Coach Huff in a bad spot from the get go. I don’t think Chad would ever use influence, but what would other parents and players think?

Reactions: johns1124
That they do, but kind of like a high school football teams QB is the principals son. Kind of puts Coach Huff in a bad spot from the get go. I don’t think Chad would ever use influence, but what would other parents and players think?
This isn't Little League

Now what would you say if Chad was on the BOG and his son went to Ball St or Akron. Or got an offer in CUSA somewhere?

Wonder what, if any, impact having Chad on BOG and search for a new AD will have? No secret that Chad certainly was upset with departing MH by vacating his box seats.

You will see a lot more bigger name alums come back now that changes have taken place. 💡
You may have just hit on one of the reasons that Pennington was named to the BOG . . . To lure back big time donors who have left. I don't have any insight as to the real reasons, but I'm pretty confident that at least the top reason wasn't related to academia.

I thought someone (a mod), in the know, said he left his box seats over a year ago because he just didn't have the time to attend every weekend. Which is understandable.
Well, that and he was coaching a football team his son played on. That might have a tad bit of something to do with it.
The conspiracy theorists are out in full force.

Good Lord some of you guys need to relax. We get it you loved Mike Hamrick to you he was the greatest Athletic Director in history not just Marshall, but college athletics in general. Some of you can’t get over the fact that there were a lot of people who disagreed with that assessment. As a result they didn’t renew his contract. It happens get over it! But no you can’t do that, you trash our BOG, and act like they are the enemies. That is so mind boggling stupid I can’t even grasp it.

You conspiracy theorists ever think that maybe just maybe they offered Chad a BOG seat because he is currently the most beloved alum that we have. Doc offered Cole when he was coach and so did Coach Huff way before Chad was named a BOG. Why would we need Chad on the BOG to get Cole to commit to Marshall when we already offered him. That doesn’t even make sense?

Also please stop the nonsense that Marshall is so above Akron and Ball State right now which was Coles other FBS offers. We are way closer at this time to Ball State and Akron than we are to Cincinnati or UCF.

My Facebook has been lit up with people being super excited that Chad is on the BOG. This is about as no brainer as there can be.

We now have a new football coach who is working his ass off to get the fan base back. He is very involved in the community and is doing all he can to get some of our greatest players back in the fold. We have Chad on the BOG, and he will now be back to being seen more and involved than he has been the last several years.

We are also moving towards a football playoff system that we actually have a chance to qualify for.

It’s a great time to be a Herd Fan sit back and enjoy it.

Why is Smock fanning the flames. Bush league posts by him. We’ll destroy ourselves from within. Gordon Gee is laughing his head off.
Doug is a part of the Mike Hamrick posse. He’s no fan of Marshall he’s a fan of Doc and Hamrick. If you follow him on Twitter he slams fans expectations and anybody who questioned not renewing Hamrick and Docs contract. He’s using his bully pulpit in the media to make Marshall look bad. He’s no fan of the Herd.

Good Lord some of you guys need to relax. We get it you loved Mike Hamrick to you he was the greatest Athletic Director in history not just Marshall, but college athletics in general. Some of you can’t get over the fact that there were a lot of people who disagreed with that assessment. As a result they didn’t renew his contract. It happens get over it! But no you can’t do that, you trash our BOG, and act like they are the enemies. That is so mind boggling stupid I can’t even grasp it.

You conspiracy theorists ever think that maybe just maybe they offered Chad a BOG seat because he is currently the most beloved alum that we have. Doc offered Cole when he was coach and so did Coach Huff way before Chad was named a BOG. Why would we need Chad on the BOG to get Cole to commit to Marshall when we already offered him. That doesn’t even make sense?

Also please stop the nonsense that Marshall is so above Akron and Ball State right now which was Coles other FBS offers. We are way closer at this time to Ball State and Akron than we are to Cincinnati or UCF.

My Facebook has been lit up with people being super excited that Chad is on the BOG. This is about as no brainer as there can be.

We now have a new football coach who is working his ass off to get the fan base back. He is very involved in the community and is doing all he can to get some of our greatest players back in the fold. We have Chad on the BOG, and he will now be back to being seen more and involved than he has been the last several years.

We are also moving towards a football playoff system that we actually have a chance to qualify for.

Overreact much?? Nobody said anything that you posted. Considering WHO makes up the MU BoG and Jim Justice's involvement, DOES warrant speculation, especially with the MU president suddenly leaving but that's been it.
Pipe down and relax. I'm glad Pennington's assisting with MU in a more direct fashion, they'll have a sensible person in the room.

Reactions: Diamond Duke
Seriously? In all of the years we have witnessed the behavior of Chad Pennington (what, 26 years now?) Can anyone on this forum point to a single anecdote where he was petty, spiteful, manipulative or harboring ill will towards Marshall or any of his team mates? I didn’t think so…..
He is a damn Being of Light, Incapable of Malice or Ill Will, an Angel Sent Down from the Heavens to Throw Leather Balls and Have Perfect Hair, Always, Even in a Helmet.

If they built a throne in the middle of campus for him to sit on at random times of his choosing, verbally smiting passing underclassmen for their poor posture or fashion sense, I might actually send my kids to Marshall.

He is a damn Being of Light, Incapable of Malice or Ill Will, an Angel Sent Down from the Heavens as to Throw Leather Balls and Have Perfect Hair, Always, Even in a Helmet.

If they built a throne in the middle of campus for him to sit on at random times of his choosing, verbally smiting passing underclassmen for their poor posture or fashion sense, I might actually send my kids to Marshall.
Yeah despite all that I wouldn’t, and didn’t, send my kids to Marshall

Reactions: herdalicious
I thought someone (a mod), in the know, said he left his box seats over a year ago because he just didn't have the time to attend every weekend. Which is understandable.
Could be. You hear many rumors. Only Chad, not the mod, knows the truth.

Reactions: Jartard
tumblr_p0de19fN3a1wrraimo1_400.gifv

Anyone who thinks Smock doesn’t bleed Green & White doesn’t know crap from Shinola. I’m proud to be able to call him friend for close to 30 years, and he loves OUR university. Disagree with some of his opinions (I do at times), but don’t question his love of Marshall.

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes

Your post makes some decent points but it also highlights my biggest issue with many people. At the End you list new things that are going on that make it a great time to be a Herd fan. It’s always a great time to be a Herd fan. It’s a shame we are catering now to those “adults” who took their ball and went home because they weren’t getting their way.

He was heavily involved in his sons' athletic development and didn't have the time. Maybe that's why we are getting a pretty good QB prospect (hopefully) next year.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Anyone who thinks Smock doesn’t bleed Green & White doesn’t know crap from Shinola. I’m proud to be able to call him friend for close to 30 years, and he loves OUR university. Disagree with some of his opinions (I do at times), but don’t question his love of Marshall.
He ****ed this one up. That’s for sure.
Always liked his writing and commentary on radio shows but not sure what he thought would be accomplished by this latest round of tweets.

Reactions: caliherd
He may bleed Green & White, but I rarely read anything positive from him. Seems quick to criticize and rarely points out the positive. If I didn't know any better, I'd guess he was a WVU guy assigned to follow the Herd. Maybe in this age of "hot takes" that is what sells, but I certainly don't see much love for the Herd from his tweets.

Reactions: caliherd
doug doesn’t sugarcoat things, and calls them like he sees them. he has no agenda, other than wanting what’s best for MU. As for him being a wvu guy - bwahhhaahhhaa. He hates that school more than i do!

I think it is amusing when people talk about others having an Agenda.... Guess what? WE ALL HAVE AN AGENDA. Even the people here hiding behind their keyboards. The question is are you doing it for what is the greater good, or yourself. Chad Pennington has never given any of us a reason to believe he is out "just" for him self so lets give him the benefit of doubt, before criticizing him.

He may bleed Green & White, but I rarely read anything positive from him. Seems quick to criticize and rarely points out the positive. If I didn't know any better, I'd guess he was a WVU guy assigned to follow the Herd. Maybe in this age of "hot takes" that is what sells, but I certainly don't see much love for the Herd from his tweets.
I believe he is a Marshall grad and fan I disagree with his comments about Pennington.

ADVERTISEMENT