ADVERTISEMENT

Changes with Huff running the show?

BruiserINT

Gold Member
Sep 5, 2020
Will we look much different from last year on either side of the ball? I'm excited to see a potentially more aggressive defense, a faster tempo on offense, but is that truly something we should be expecting? Will we be as explosive as we hired Huff to make us? I'm super excited to see what Wells can do, especially if we take even more shots than last year!

Reactions: Marshall-21
It will hard to evaluate the defense after the Navy game because of their run-based offense. They seldom throw the ball, so we won't know if our db's are going to get the job done until we play a few games past the Navy game. But the offense should be open for review after the Navy game. I also am anxious to see how Wells will perform and how the overall offense compare to last year's. The offensive line will be the key. Some think that losing the two starters will reduce the line's effectiveness. Maybe the new OL coach can find a way to make Madden and Ball's losses a non-factor.

Coach Huff is certainly putting his stamp on the program in ways most fans currently would not be aware of. He is changing up the way things have been done in the Shewey building in all aspects of Herd Football. I love his energy, ideas and I know they will translate into a team that will not collapse in game 8 or be beset with internal squabbles that consume the players. There is no doubt who is running the show and I foresee great things in the next couple years.

Also, Grant will thrive in his system.

From the HD articles, sounds like we’ll be the throwing the ball a good bit. I like it. Wide open. No more Doc ball.

Reactions: Elkview
I'm not so much worried about the X's and O's as the Jimmies and Joes. I'm surprised that after losing all of our best players, pretty much everyone in the fanbase and the media is saying the 2021 Herd will be better than the 2020 Herd.

Somebody above is speculating that our OL coach will just scheme it so it doesn't matter that we lost two NFL-caliber linemen. I'm not sure it works that way.

I'm not so much worried about the X's and O's as the Jimmies and Joes. I'm surprised that after losing all of our best players, pretty much everyone in the fanbase and the media is saying the 2021 Herd will be better than the 2020 Herd.

Somebody above is speculating that our OL coach will just scheme it so it doesn't matter that we lost two NFL-caliber linemen. I'm not sure it works that way.
I think you and all of us have a right to be concerned from the player personnel side. My optimism stems from the new staff, new scheme, new enthusiasm and most of all, the ability to coach and develop these kids to perform at a higher level. IF they can do that, I think we have enough pieces to have a good year.

Reactions: herdalicious
Aren't we getting a quality OL transfer from a bigger school? That may make one of the losses not too impactful. The drop off won't be as steep leaving us only one question mark on the line.

Reactions: Bayou Boiler
and most of all, the ability to coach and develop these kids to perform at a higher level.
There is healthy optimism, and then there is the Aaron Perkins school of “this guy can’t be serious” mentality. Expecting development out of this ragtag staff of castoffs and throwaways tends to lean toward the latter.

Lets look at the offensive staff.

The lone holdover was unpopular with the Herd faithful, as the vast majority wanted him out. His position unit saw extreme digression, yet you’re expecting development now?

One of the new offensive coaches was last a quality control coach. His last on-field FBS role finished after Marshall fans chased him off for poor production.

Another new offensive coach was last a quality control coach after being fired for poor production.

Another new offensive coach was last a high school assistant coach who has never been a full-time FBS coach.

Another new offensive coach was last fired by a school in our own conference for poor production.

And since special teams has a significant impact on how many points a team scores, it’s fair to look at that hire: he led the worst special teams in the entire country over the past three years.

As the great Herdalicious says, “I’m not sure it works that way.”

There is healthy optimism, and then there is the Aaron Perkins school of “this guy can’t be serious” mentality. Expecting development out of this ragtag staff of castoffs and throwaways tends to lean toward the latter.

The lone holdover was unpopular with the Herd faithful, as the vast majority wanted him out. His position unit saw extreme digression, yet you’re expecting development now?

One of the new offensive coaches was last a quality control coach. His last on-field FBS role finished after Marshall fans chased him off for poor production.

Another new offensive coach was last a quality control coach after being fired for poor production.

Another new offensive coach was last a high school assistant coach who has never been a full-time FBS coach.

Another new offensive coach was last fired by a school in our own conference for poor production.

And since special teams has a significant impact on how many points a team scores, it’s fair to look at that hire: he led the worst special teams in the entire country over the past three years.

It may not work that way, only time will tell. I am not sure it worked great with Doc and staff either; 2014 being the exception.

Until proven otherwise, I'm going to stick with Coach Huff's picks and disregard rifle's downplaying the coaching staff.

Reactions: 19MU88 and rvntx
Until proven otherwise, I'm going to stick with Coach Huff's picks and disregard rifle's downplaying the coaching staff.

You should try disregarding all of my posts. Half of your posts are about me, and the other half are about Extra. Really, go through your last dozen posts. I’m guessing almost all of them are about the two of us.

Try bringing some value to the board instead of trying for a DP with Extra and me.

You should try disregarding all of my posts. Half of your posts are about me, and the other half are about Extra. Really, go through your last dozen posts. I’m guessing almost all of them are about the two of us.

Try bringing some value to the board instead of trying for a DP with Extra and me.
I don't doubt that you are correct. Just trying to to bring to light the absurd postings of you two left wingers.

Reactions: 19MU88
After review, I will let it continue.

Agreed. That methead guy is obsessed with me as much as you are, running around to any thread to support any post that is against me.
It’s a tired, tired schtick.
I'll play. So, Rifle decides he is going to be a stock broker. He goes through all of the training, but in the back of his mind, his football coaching self is fighting with his new profession. They keep telling him: "Past performance is no indication of future results." So, 1st day on the job, and he's taking a call. Asked about a particular stock, he blurts out: "That stock has never performed well! And, it will never perform well in the future!" After about 10 different stocks are mentioned, he has thrown all of these stocks together to proclaim they will never be worth buying. And then he was given an opportunity to not be a stockbroker anymore......so he goes into "politics" ...Oh my God! I will now be banned for mentioning politics!!! lol

One thing that won’t change is the constant program bashing by a former Herd athlete who can’t get a sniff as a potential coach at his alma mater

Have you seen the transfers coming in?

One thing that won’t change is the constant program bashing by a former Herd athlete who can’t get a sniff as a potential coach at his alma mater

That's the one thing that won't change? How about the insurance salesman continuing to post horribly shitty attempts at entertainment and humor with his stories. Hell, even multiple people who don't like me have told him that he isn't doing himself any favors by writing those, yet he continues.

And is this the Toes who everyone laughed at for wearing a nightgown made to look like a football jersey? Listen, I get it. You're mad because I didn't defend you. I didn't join in with the hundreds of others who mocked you on here, but some things are simply indefensible, and that picture is one of them. You can't blame me for not trying t to take on all 300 people who were laughing at you. Be mad at them, not me.

I just wish this board was truly about Marshall sports and not petty personal insults and one upping the other guy. It really is boring.

Tell your buddies to stop turning every post I make into a change to take jabs at me, and maybe you'll enjoy the board more.

That's the one thing that won't change? How about the insurance salesman continuing to post horribly shitty attempts at entertainment and humor with his stories. Hell, even multiple people who don't like me have told him that he isn't doing himself any favors by writing those, yet he continues.

And is this the Toes who everyone laughed at for wearing a nightgown made to look like a football jersey? Listen, I get it. You're mad because I didn't defend you. I didn't join in with the hundreds of others who mocked you on here, but some things are simply indefensible, and that picture is one of them. You can't blame me for not trying t to take on all 300 people who were laughing at you. Be mad at them, not me.

Tell your buddies to stop turning every post I make into a change to take jabs at me, and maybe you'll enjoy the board more.
We don’t care what a moron that can’t correctly spell “chance” has to say. Get off the board you idiot

same thread. still tired.

now work on your spelling before you come back.

I'll comment, I think Rifle actually has a point about the staff. Given their qualifications or at least their last jobs, were they particularly good?
If Doc had hired these guys, no names, just their resumes, how would you react?
Does everyone forget that Bill Legg was the most disliked person on Doc's staff not named Doc? But since Huff hired him its been much different.
But who knows, maybe Doc really did limit their coaching skills/abilities and Huff has told them, "Open up your playbook, no restrictions."

Last edited:
Reactions: ilmherdfan
I'll comment, I think Rifle actually has a point about the staff. Given their qualifications or at least their last jobs, were they particularly good?
Does everyone forget that Bill Legg was the most disliked person on Doc's staff not named Doc? But since Huff hired him its been much different.
But who knows, maybe Doc really did limit their coaching skills/abilities and Huff has told them, "Open up your playbook, no restrictions."
Legg is now the TE coach and not the OC. A LOT of people suspected that Doc hindered both Legg and Cramsey when it came to play calling. I guess we are about to find out either way relatively soon.

OTOH you can go through each of them and see why they were hired, except maybe Cramsey, but maybe they have the same agent
Legg? He worked with him at MSTU and I would bet BL worked some back channels he had here, to help out Huff.
His OL coach is a from the Joe Morehead tree and worked with Huff at MSTU, or to say another way, he had a year long interview with the HC. He wanted the guy
The RB coach has Miami of FL, Florida State and Oregon State as recent stops, that would be enough right there, but couple this with his time coaching HS in FL, makes a sure fire hire right there. You have to hire recruiters too. lets face it, we usually only have 1 RB in the game at a time! So plenty of time to recruit!
the WR coach's dad is a living legend of coaches, so you have that right there. He had to learn something growing up. Coupled with the fact he spent time with Buddy Stevens and lived to tell about it, is all I need to know. Plus it looks to me that Wille Taggart wanted to hire one of his buddies and have the same buddy bring a 4-5* QB with him to FAU (his son) . Thats called coaching in 2021.

I am not sure what is the issue, although I think I might know.

The issue is that true fans are realistic and don’t accept mediocrity. Fake fans cry when people hold the program accountable.

You can put as much lipstick as you want on the pig, but it’s still your mom.

In other words, the new coaches were last a QC, a QC, a high school assistant coach, a fired/unemployed coach, a QC, and an unemployed coach who coordinated the worst special teams in the country over the last few years.

The issue is that true fans are realistic and don’t accept mediocrity. Fake fans cry when people hold the program accountable.

In other words, the new coaches were last a QC, a QC, a high school assistant coach, a fired/unemployed coach, a QC, and an unemployed coach who coordinated the worst special teams in the country over the last few years.
thanks for reminding me, my mother died in 1980. The only thing I can hope is that the experimental treatments she underwent, are now saving another life.
and now that I thought of her, I remember my Dad passed 7 22 2007.

OTOH you can go through each of them and see why they were hired, except maybe Cramsey, but maybe they have the same agent
Legg? He worked with him at MSTU and I would bet BL worked some back channels he had here, to help out Huff.
His OL coach is a from the Joe Morehead tree and worked with Huff at MSTU, or to say another way, he had a year long interview with the HC. He wanted the guy
The RB coach has Miami of FL, Florida State and Oregon State as recent stops, that would be enough right there, but couple this with his time coaching HS in FL, makes a sure fire hire right there. You have to hire recruiters too. lets face it, we usually only have 1 RB in the game at a time! So plenty of time to recruit!
the WR coach's dad is a living legend of coaches, so you have that right there. He had to learn something growing up. Coupled with the fact he spent time with Buddy Stevens and lived to tell about it, is all I need to know. Plus it looks to me that Wille Taggart wanted to hire one of his buddies and have the same buddy bring a 4-5* QB with him to FAU (his son) . Thats called coaching in 2021.

What is MSTU?

Rifle - serious question. In your experience, have you worked on a coaching staff where the HBC was able to raise expectations for both players as well as the coaches & get whatever extra was there to get out of both groups? Can a HC do that? Or no?

Last year when Madden and Ball went out the offense imploded. They're both gone. The OL as of right now is indeed a pretty big concern.

Rifle - serious question. In your experience, have you worked on a coaching staff where the HBC was able to raise expectations for both players as well as the coaches & get whatever extra was there to get out of both groups? Can a HC do that? Or no?

That's easily doable. Many coaches try saying "it's about the Jimmys and Joes, not the Xs and Os." But those are coaches who are too scared to take responsibility for the results of their coaching and want to claim that they just haven't had enough time to get their players into the program,

A top coach can get the exact same team, regardless of having a few years to get his recruits in the program, and elevate the program on and off of the field. It IS about the Xs and Os just as much as it is about the Jimmys and Joes.

Last year when Madden and Ball went out the offense imploded. They're both gone. The OL as of right now is indeed a pretty big concern.
IMO we have the potential to be solid on the OL if the following occurs. If Ross is as talented as I think he is, he will fill in and we will not miss a beat. With Adams staying he needs to be healthy. He is a quality player when healthy. Finally, I think Tucker is ready and will show up and do a good job.Now we need the other 3 returners to play no worse and we should be okay. Next year i am really concerned about the OL due to lack of expof the 2 deep.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT