ADVERTISEMENT

Charlotte has 1 win away from home....

Solidly blown out by a mediocre Davidson, easily handled by a poor James Madison and ECU, and a yet worse Appy State, lost by 2 to ACC bottom feeder Wake Forest, lost to Sun Belter Georgia State and Big Souther UNCA; beat some randos like UNCW, Valpo, and HBCU UMES. But beat UAB, which woodsheded our hapless bunch.

Should be a game. Given our home court advantage , UNCC should not win by more than 15.

Solidly blown out by a mediocre Davidson, easily handled by a poor James Madison and ECU, and a yet worse Appy State, lost by 2 to ACC bottom feeder Wake Forest, lost to Sun Belter Georgia State and Big Souther UNCA; beat some randos like UNCW, Valpo, and HBCU UMES. But beat UAB, which woodsheded our hapless bunch.

Should be a game. Given our home court advantage , UNCC should not win by more than 15.
Charlotte beat Davidson and Wake this year.

Sorta like they whipped our hapless bunch in football.

That post isn't aging well...….Sam's other technique?
When someone points out your mistakes, and you realize you would have to admit to that miscue, ignore and carry on …..

Reactions: ARandomHerdFan
In football threads.

This is a basketball thread. The anti-Doc minority wants to discuss football in every basketball thread.

So I am Anti - Doc for asking a question? That’s a pretty narrow assumption. I am pro Marshall and have been for 58 years.

so, what in your mind defines a successful football season? What defines a successful basketball season?

So I am Anti - Doc for asking a question?

Yeah.

The basketball discussion around here falls into just a few categories.

- The one timers. Someone tries to discuss basketball, objectively and fairly. NO, say the one timers. “One time we finished 4th in the league, got hot in the conference tournament and who knows. It might happen again some day, so let’s not discuss basketball at all until March.” Well, if you feel that way, then don’t post until March.

- The football derailers. Someone tries to discuss basketball, objectively and fairly. NO, say the anti-Doc minority football derailers. “Doc didn’t win every game every year, so how can you criticize Danny?” Basketball and football programs are different programs. Lots of football threads for you to express your football ideas in. (BTW, USA Today’s final 1-130 rerank has us 54th. Darn solid.).

- The delusionals. We win a game, or worse yet have a “moral victory” (AKA lose) and the delusional crowd proclaims that all is well. In these people’s minds MU basketball has been “back” more than Texas football. That is all fine, if you are 12, but anybody that looks at this team, objectively and fairly, and looks, Duquesne excepted as our one upset win, see a team that loses to every team with a pulse, and is probably going to continue to do so.

All I want to do is discuss basketball in basketball threads. If having a rebuilding year and finishing 54th out of 130 in football was not good enough for you, then please discuss it in any of the 100s of anti-Doc football threads.

Reactions: johns1124
Yeah.

- The one timers. Someone tries to discuss basketball, objectively and fairly. NO, say the one timers. “One time we finished 4th in the league, got hot in the conference tournament and who knows. It might happen again some day, so let’s not discuss basketball at all until March.” Well, if you feel that way, then don’t post until March.

- The football derailers. Someone tries to discuss basketball, objectively and fairly. NO, say the anti-Doc minority football derailers. “Doc didn’t win every game every year, so how can you criticize Danny?” Basketball and football programs are different programs. Lots of football threads for you to express your football ideas in. (BTW, USA Today’s final 1-130 rerank has us 54th. Darn solid.).

- The delusionals. We win a game, or worse yet have a “moral victory” (AKA lose) and the delusional crowd proclaims that all is well. In these people’s minds MU basketball has been “back” more than Texas football. That is all fine, if you are 12, but anybody that looks at this team, objectively and fairly, and looks, Duquesne excepted as our one upset win, see a team that loses to every team with a pulse, and is probably going to continue to do so.

All I want to do is discuss basketball in basketball threads. If having a rebuilding year and finishing 54th out of 130 in football was not good enough for you, then please discuss it in any of the 100s of anti-Doc football threads.

Dude, you have no idea what you are speaking of. I’d say you are the delusional one. Hell, I doubt you even go to games, football or basketball. You likely don’t have season tickets or ever had them; nor have you ever been a BG member or donated to the Vision or Herd Rises campaign.
Keep blowing wind and making sweeping accusations that you have no idea of.
I try stay away from throwing barbs, but you make it hard, you really do.

Still waiting for the answers to my questions on your definition of football and b’ball successful seasons. You can do it, I know you can.

Dude, you have no idea what you are speaking of. I’d say you are the delusional one. Hell, I doubt you even go to games, football or basketball. You likely don’t have season tickets or ever had them; nor have you ever been a BG member or donated to the Vision or Herd Rises campaign.

Wrong on every count.

But “delusional”. Nah. Firmly on solid ground. I’ve said this before, but this fan base, vis basketball, reminds me more and more of the WVU fan base from its A-10 days. Pure delusion. Seeing a team that is SUPPOSED to win, most all the time, win less than that and proclaim it as “great”. Seeing no-stars play other no stars and mention them in the same paragraph as great players. Looking for “moral victories” and “improvement”.

One of the great things about Marshall and our wonderful fan base, has been our firm grasp of reality, caught in a sea of non-alumni Spamites certain that “they” are going to win the national championship, actually have players the True Majors wanted, have coaches that are not fourth rate, etc. We are losing that, and it is sad.

Still waiting for the answers to my questions on your definition of football and b’ball successful seasons. You can do it, I know you can.

Football questions are answered in football threads. As to basketball, since two thirds of the league either lacks the resources to try and/or simply chooses to not try, at basketball, an MU is not one of those, being in the top third of the league, EVERY YEAR, is the MINIMUM acceptable. MU should EXPECT and DEMAND to be “elite” within the context of CUSA, every year, and MU should make legitimate (not pay to play) tournaments (NCAA or NIT) at least 3 out of 4 years.

Reactions: johns1124
Wrong on every count.

But “delusional”. Nah. Firmly on solid ground. I’ve said this before, but this fan base, vis basketball, reminds me more and more of the WVU fan base from its A-10 days. Pure delusion. Seeing a team that is SUPPOSED to win, most all the time, win less than that and proclaim it as “great”. Seeing no-stars play other no stars and mention them in the same paragraph as great players. Looking for “moral victories” and “improvement”.

One of the great things about Marshall and our wonderful fan base, has been our firm grasp of reality, caught in a sea of non-alumni Spamites certain that “they” are going to win the national championship, actually have players the True Majors wanted, have coaches that are not fourth rate, etc. We are losing that, and it is sad.

Football questions are answered in football threads. As to basketball, since two thirds of the league either lacks the resources to try and/or simply chooses to not try, at basketball, an MU is not one of those, being in the top third of the league, EVERY YEAR, is the MINIMUM acceptable. MU should EXPECT and DEMAND to be “elite” within the context of CUSA, every year, and MU should make legitimate (not pay to play) tournaments (NCAA or NIT) at least 3 out of 4 years.

This is a hoot. So equating your idea of success for basketball to Football, both have failed in your estimation?
Or do you feel going 8-5, not winning our division, league or bowl still amounts to a successful season?

Doc has been here 10 years with 2 division titles and 1 league title. Bowl wins are like the pay for play b’ball tourneys.
Dan has been here 6 years. One league title and one win in NCAA. One pay for play title. Not bad but not glowing either.

I’ve said before that I like both guys and how they represent the school, but BOTH should be delivering better results.

This is a hoot. So equating your idea of success for basketball to Football, both have failed in your estimation?
Or do you feel going 8-5, not winning our division, league or bowl still amounts to a successful season?

Once again, football questions are answered in football threads.

Dan has been here 6 years. One league title and one win in NCAA. One pay for play title. Not bad but not glowing either.

Danny is certainly the most successful coach since Huck. Which is not saying a lot, as most (leaving out the two that moved up and on quickly) were clueless. Danny is not a bad guy. I do not think we are yet to the point where any discussion of Danny’s job status is appropriate. The anti-Doc minority somehow thinks that I, and others, who question where we are in basketball can be quieted by discussions of football. They are two separate operations in two very different positions vis the nation.

Fact is Danny has deficits. He has a penchant for substituting slogans and gimmick t-shirts for coaching. He hit last year, and this year, unprepared. And in CUSA, with so many nominal effort programs in CUSA, that is unacceptable. MU football being 0-12 or 12-0 does not change that discussion, nor even have a role in that discussion.

Once again, football questions are answered in football threads.

You won’t answer the question because you don’t have a good answer. You can’t defend the mediocrity that is our football program. Simple as that.

Danny is certainly the most successful coach since Huck. Which is not saying a lot, as most (leaving out the two that moved up and on quickly) were clueless. Danny is not a bad guy. I do not think we are yet to the point where any discussion of Danny’s job status is appropriate. The anti-Doc minority somehow thinks that I, and others, who question where we are in basketball can be quieted by discussions of football. They are two separate operations in two very different positions vis the nation.

Fact is Danny has deficits. He has a penchant for substituting slogans and gimmick t-shirts for coaching. He hit last year, and this year, unprepared. And in CUSA, with so many nominal effort programs in CUSA, that is unacceptable. MU football being 0-12 or 12-0 does not change that discussion, nor even have a role in that discussion.

If having a rebuilding year and finishing 54th out of 130 in football was not good enough for you, then please discuss it in any of the 100s of anti-Doc football threads.

No sane person believes that Marshall football was the 54th best team in the country.

Sagarin has them 84th.
Massey has Marshall 75th.
Football Outsiders, before the bowl game, had Marshall 68th (and the loss dropped them more).

I made a mistake. Bad computer.

Wrong again. You made mistakeS - plural. It's par for the course with you. And like always, you blame something else instead of admitting that you're simply clueless.

Doc has been here 10 years with 2 division titles and 1 league title. Bowl wins are like the pay for play b’ball tourneys.

I’ve said before that I like both guys and how they represent the school, but BOTH should be delivering better results.

Apparently conference championships are all that matters to anyone around here.
If that's the case, Dan and Doc should have equal criticisms of the times THEY DON'T win said conference titles.

Instead, and its for both sides, its excuses, comparisons to scheduling, player departures/arrivals, etc.

None of those should matter if you're sticking to your criteria.
Both have achieved exactly 1 conference championship and both should be treated as such since that's what seems to be so important to this board.

Apparently conference championships are all that matters to anyone around here.
If that's the case, Dan and Doc should have equal criticisms of the times THEY DON'T win said conference titles.

Instead, and its for both sides, its excuses, comparisons to scheduling, player departures/arrivals, etc.

None of those should matter if you're sticking to your criteria.
Both have achieved exactly 1 conference championship and both should be treated as such since that's what seems to be so important to this board.

We should have equal expectations for both. I don’t see a problem with expecting a league title every 3-4 years from both.

So, new analogy for Sam. Did you ever practice hitting tennis balls against a concrete wall? That's how it is with Sam. You can use top spin, cut it, lob it, hit it hard, hit it soft - doesn't matter. However you choose to strike at the wall, the wall is un phased. The wall isn't affected by temperature, wind or rain. The wall remains the same. Eventually, you get tired of beating the ball against the wall. You pick up your ball and walk away. And somehow, this satisfies the wall...….

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
& Sam will not like this quote from Danny:

“I enjoy the process,” D’Antoni said. “I don’t get all, ‘oh gosh, we lost one. We’re not going to win the league.’ In basketball, you can always win the league. All you have to do is win the tournament. We’re going to play right through that. I think we have a great shot. You put two or three games together real quick and you’re there and get into the NCAA tournament.”

pssst - he stole that from me!! ;)

Wrong again. You made mistakeS - plural. It's par for the course with you. And like always, you blame something else instead of admitting that you're simply clueless.

and all this time we thought you were fine with that mode of operation

& Sam will not like this quote from Danny:

“I enjoy the process,” D’Antoni said. “I don’t get all, ‘oh gosh, we lost one. We’re not going to win the league.’ In basketball, you can always win the league. All you have to do is win the tournament. We’re going to play right through that. I think we have a great shot. You put two or three games together real quick and you’re there and get into the NCAA tournament.”

If this were personal finance, rather than basketball, the idea would be “Heck, I enjoy the process. I could study hard and get a good job and then save and do without, so my family can be secure and I can retire in comfort. But, nah, you never know when you might hit the lottery. So I just live it up. When I turn 65, I’m just going to buy a lottery ticket. You get 7 numbers right and right there, real quick, you are a millionaire.”

Does it happen? Sure. About once a week, out of the 10s of millions of suckers that play the lottery, one wins. But solid investing and saving is a 10000 times better plan. Likewise, is it possible to finish 4th, or for that matter, 8th in a poor conference, but win its tournament. Happens to maybe 4 to 6 teams (out of the 280 or so one-bid league member teams) do so. But being EXCELLENT, and LEAVING NO DOUBT, from November - March, is a likewise a far better plan.

If this were personal finance, rather than basketball, the idea would be “Heck, I enjoy the process. I could study hard and get a good job and then save and do without, so my family can be secure and I can retire in comfort. But, nah, you never know when you might hit the lottery. So I just live it up. When I turn 65, I’m just going to buy a lottery ticket. You get 7 numbers right and right there, real quick, you are a millionaire.”

Does it happen? Sure. About once a week, out of the 10s of millions of suckers that play the lottery, one wins. But solid investing and saving is a 10000 times better plan. Likewise, is it possible to finish 4th, or for that matter, 8th in a poor conference, but win its tournament. Happens to maybe 4 to 6 teams (out of the 280 or so one-bid league member teams) do so. But being EXCELLENT, and LEAVING NO DOUBT, from November - March, is a likewise a far better plan.
Or you could be excellent from November to March and then get upset in the tournament and be out.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Or you could be excellent from November to March and then get upset in the tournament and be out.
WKU is a good example of this. They've beaten some power 5/Top 25 programs, but never seem to be able to take their game to another level in February & March. They're the same team all through the year. Hasn't yielded them a tournament appearance.

[QUOTEBut being EXCELLENT, and LEAVING NO DOUBT, from November - March, is a likewise a far better plan.[/QUOTE]

“No battle plan survives first contact with the enemy.”
H. von Moltke

TwolfHerdfan said:

So I am Anti - Doc for asking a question?

Yeah.

[/quote]
You would have to be blind as a bat to be upset with the state of Marshall Basketball

Actually, even in a one-bid league, the league winner/tournament loser gets automatically in the NIT.

But consider, just last year, two leagues that are historically one-bid, and well below CUSA’s level, got TWO in (the OVC and the WCC), thorough season long EXCELLENCE; another one to two bid league, just above CUSA level historically, got two in (the MWC), through season long EXCELLENCE; and one of the historically lowest one-bid leagues in the entire Division got a 7th seed, and a legit chance through EXCELLENCE (the SoCon).

But, nah, just fart about for 4 months, have a tournament with a quasi-random result have the winner seeded somewhere between 12th and 15th, and hope to make the second round every now and then. In other words, accept mediocrity.

So, about the game tonite:
Charlotte has a freshman that has won 3 FotWeek awards this season, so keep an eye on him. UTEP survived UTSA in OT last nite 80-77. RR’s were up 14 at the half, so I was surprised they lost. There are (as has been discussed) no world beaters in CUSA, so critical to get these home games. I expect a big bounce back tonite! Go Herd

ADVERTISEMENT