ADVERTISEMENT

Christianity Questions

caliherd

Gold Buffalo
Gold Member
Feb 7, 2007
Dublin, Oh
I have questions relating to Christianity. It's questions that have been something I've always wondered about over the years. This is not meant to be disrespectful and I really wanted to see what regular every day Christians feel about them. This board seems to be made up of predominantly regular Christians.

So here goes, I have often wondered what is the appeal of following a religion or God if you will, that has such a narrow way to go to heaven when you die, but has a myriad of ways to go to hell.

I know many Christians who believe any non Christians are going to hell. It doesn't matter they may be religious, just a different type of religion they are going to hell. And in many cases if you aren't in their particular brand of Christianity you are going to hell too.

So basically many people in the world believe that billions of people will be going to Hell for their only offense being not believing in a particular brand of religion. It's not taken into consideration whether the person is a good person, did good things, take care of people etc. they still will end up going to hell if they don't accept Jesus as your savior. They will be going to the same punishment Hitler did just because you are Jewish or Hindu or just a good person who doesn't believe in anything seems a bit harsh in my personal opinion. I really want to hear what others think.

So what was it about Christianity and this type of teaching appealed to you, and made you want to follow it. Also do you believe that people will go to the same hell Hitler went too for the above offenses.

The next question deals with hell. Do you believe hell is eternal? That's it's never ending torture forever or do you believe as some do that hell is finite. That when the end of the world comes the people not going to heaven will be burnt up and cease to exist.

Anxious to hear some of your opinions. Keep it would be great if you chimed in!

I don't believe in a heaven or a hell, so I'm just planning to join millions of folks before me, and get planted 6 feet deep into the soil. Or, depending on the old ladies mood at the time of my death, I may just end up in a mason jar out in the shed behind the wheel barrel.

They will be going to the same punishment Hitler did

Why do you assume Hitler went to hell?

If he accepted Jesus as the savior and repented for his sins, even a fraction of a second before his death, he is likely to be in heaven. The guy born in India who had a very insulated life, is a Hindu, only briefly read about Christianity, and spent his entire life volunteering at a children's hospital is in hell . . . not necessarily that Hitler guy.

Reactions: WV-FAN
If you think you're going to come along and convince lifelong devout people to stop following this stuff, it's not going to happen.

They were roped in as kids, invested their lives in it. Even if they know it's fake, it's way too late to turn back now. That's my deal with sports. I know now that they have no bearing on anything, no importance, don't matter at all. But when I was a kid I thought they did.

People still gather around and root for them. Root for laundry, whatever. It's still a spectacle to behold. If we dissolve everything in the name of its uselessness, there'll be little left other than sitting on the edge of a field in Kansas preparing for each meal, a perfectly portioned serving of non-buttered bread.

I believe it all about a holy God who loved us so much he wrapped himself in flesh and came to earth to show us the way.His death and his blood covers all our sins if you ask Jesus to come into your life. If you choose not too then he yourself choose hell. Read John 3:16 its that simple. You must have faith and that too comes from God. Of all the people put to death not a single one in the end said "I take it back I dont believe Jesus is the son of God. Jesus was seen by 500 at one time after his death. The bible speaks in the last days people will say their is no God. Some of these posts kinda scare me.God bless you for asking caliherd. Do you have children?

Purely speculation since I've never visited heaven or hell, but I was brought up Methodist & attended Presbyterian services when I lived in Charleston, SC. Both churches were extremely liberal in their teachings compared to others so take all this with a grain of salt. I've always believed there was something greater, but not necessarily in how it's been presented to me, & like a lot of others I've questioned what it means to be a believer if I don't agree with some of the teachings/concepts. I am a firm believer that people get what's coming to them either on Earth or in death. I do think the social construct of heaven & hell do a pretty good job of influencing people's behavior but I don't think it's the form of social control atheists seem to protest it is. The numbers simply don't bear out. It's possible to develop a sense of right & wrong without ever stepping foot in a place or worship or cracking a bible.

And while suffering for eternity is a frightening concept, I think (currently, anyway) that hell is just isolation. Pure, maddening, isolation.

Reactions: caliherd
Some of these posts kinda scare me.
No need to be scared, Sistersville. After 83 years of cussing, fighting, stealing, whoring around, smoking, drinking, cheating, and lying, I'm going to have the preacher come up to my death bed and save me a few minutes prior to taking that last breath on earth. Think about that. I can raise all kind of hell my entire life and enjoy the hell out of it, and all it takes is to be dipped into the pool a few seconds before the end.

One quick dip erases 83 years of living like Charles Manson.

Last edited:
Reactions: WV-FAN
Why do you assume Hitler went to hell?

If he accepted Jesus as the savior and repented for his sins, even a fraction of a second before his death, he is likely to be in heaven. The guy born in India who had a very insulated life, is a Hindu, only briefly read about Christianity, and spent his entire life volunteering at a children's hospital is in hell . . . not necessarily that Hitler guy.

I forgot about that part Rifle, the death bed confession. So you could put 6 million Jews, Gypsies, Gays, etc to their death but at the last second you ask forgiveness for your sins ask Jesus to come into your heart and then you die and you go to heaven. Yet a person who lived a moral life but wasn't a Christian burns in Hell for eternity. That's another one that's hard to deal with.

I believe it all about a holy God who loved us so much he wrapped himself in flesh and came to earth to show us the way.His death and his blood covers all our sins if you ask Jesus to come into your life. If you choose not too then he yourself choose hell. Read John 3:16 its that simple. You must have faith and that too comes from God. Of all the people put to death not a single one in the end said "I take it back I dont believe Jesus is the son of God. Jesus was seen by 500 at one time after his death. The bible speaks in the last days people will say their is no God. Some of these posts kinda scare me.God bless you for asking caliherd. Do you have children?

But that's my question Sisters I don't understand why a loving God would condemn billions of people to an eternal torment when their only crime is not believing in Christianity. Maybe they believe in Islam or Buddhism or they are Hindu or Jewish or any of a bunch of other religions. Or maybe they believe in no religion at all, but they are good people but they will suffer for eternity.

But you know it's bull. Just have to let these people have this one. They've got this club. Rules are rules, you can't just let everybody in. Nanner nanner nanner, you know kids' stuff.

It's nothing to take seriously.

But you know it's bull. Just have to let these people have this one. They've got this club. Rules are rules, you can't just let everybody in. Nanner nanner nanner, you know kids' stuff.

It's nothing to take seriously.
I have to give them credit though. Whoever thought up this ponzi scheme is a genius. Hubbard, Swaggert, Osteen, Falwell. Those guys knew how to rape millions out of the flock.

But that's my question Sisters I don't understand why a loving God would condemn billions of people to an eternal torment when their only crime is not believing in Christianity. Maybe they believe in Islam or Buddhism or they are Hindu or Jewish or any of a bunch of other religions. Or maybe they believe in no religion at all, but they are good people but they will suffer for eternity.

Romans 4:15 ....for where no law is, there is no transgression.

God doesn't make mistakes.

If you want to have your questions answered, find a good gospel preaching church, listen to what they have to say, see if it agrees with what the Bible says. If they have a Bible study, attend.

Reactions: Rock98Dog
Romans 4:15 ....for where no law is, there is no transgression.

And as long as you read about it quickly or even remotely heard about it, there is law and transgression, just like I referenced earlier.

Imagine Extra's son or Keep's son having grown up under their teachings in an area which overwhelmingly agreed with those teachings, and then having an acquaintance tell them about this other god for five minutes. Would you expect them to change their beliefs? Of course not.

Nice rule, "Jesus."

I forgot about that part Rifle, the death bed confession. So you could put 6 million Jews, Gypsies, Gays, etc to their death but at the last second you ask forgiveness for your sins ask Jesus to come into your heart and then you die and you go to heaven. Yet a person who lived a moral life but wasn't a Christian burns in Hell for eternity. That's another one that's hard to deal with.

No, it's not hard to deal with. Jesus said if you labor in his vineyard for a little while, and I labor in his vineyard for 40 years, we both get the same reward. I've got 40 years in the vineyard, if someone else labors in the vineyard for a little while and goes to Heaven, I'm glad they are saved. Salvation is by grace through faith in God, not works.

And as long as you read about it quickly or even remotely heard about it, there is law and transgression, just like I referenced earlier.

Nope. That's not the way it works. 3rd graders can read the Bible. No 3rd graders go to hell.

Nope. That's not the way it works. 3rd graders can read the Bible. No 3rd graders go to hell.
How do you know which way it works? How do you know 3rd graders don't go to hell? I have to see some proof. Can you show me some pictures or video? That's what I need to see. This BS about He doeth, he doth... How the hell do you even read stuff like that? Then there's the part about loving thy neighbor. Who wrote that one? I bet he didn't live in my neighborhood growing up. I bet those bastards still live in that pig stile back where we used to live. Nobody could love that bunch.

That's exactly what it means and how it supposedly works. Oh, are you the judge, jury, and executioner on how much knowledge of Christianity one must have in order to be spared your god's wrath? If they are aware of it and shun it, they face eternal damnation. One doesn't have to be a Biblical scholar and reject it in order to face the wrath.

How do you know which way it works? How do you know 3rd graders don't go to hell? I have to see some proof. Can you show me some pictures or video? That's what I need to see. This BS about He doeth, he doth... How the hell do you even read stuff like that? Then there's the part about loving thy neighbor. Who wrote that one? I bet he didn't live in my neighborhood growing up. I bet those bastards still live in that pig stile back where we used to live. Nobody could love that bunch.

I have a Bible, I study it. Have for 40 years. I don't have all the answers. No human does or has.
God loves your neighbors and Jesus died for them as much as anyone else whether you do or not. If you can't love your neighbor, you can't possibly love God.

That's exactly what it means and how it supposedly works. Oh, are you the judge, jury, and executioner on how much knowledge of Christianity one must have in order to be spared your god's wrath? If they are aware of it and shun it, they face eternal damnation. One doesn't have to be a Biblical scholar and reject it in order to face the wrath.

No, that's not the way it works, as I said.

Matt 19:14 14 But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.

They were a representation of what kind of people inhabit the kingdom of heaven. Thus, they were in fine spiritual condition.

No, that's not the way it works, as I said.

Matt 19:14 14 But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.

They were a representation of what kind of people inhabit the kingdom of heaven. Thus, they were in fine spiritual condition.

What the hell does that have to do with my example of the Hindu who only heard about Christianity briefly from a college roommate?

Even worse, what you're claiming Matthew 19 states is entirely different than what it is talking about. Read all of Matthew. Christ.

. I don't have all the answers.

Or any of them.

LOL, love your neighbor. Who the hell does that, swingers?

They've got this show on the ID channel, Fear Thy Neighbor. It really is worth the cable bill. They fight for a while, then at the end somebody gets shot to death. Every time.

These really are the best of times.

You can read the old testement and understand it. The new testement is only understood By those who have received the holy spirit. They refer to those people as carnal minded. Simply dont get it. Then that same group dont understand faith. You have everything to lose and You not God gets you a ticket to hell
This post is just a chance to bash christians
.This country is persecuting christians now.Colleges are ruled by satan in most places. Bible talks of those who try to understand the mind of God because you convince yourself with help from the evil one that your are so smart. You stand up in a college class and say your a christian you will be attacked. You guys are the only atheist's i ever encountered. I knew that was coming because the bible teaches that very thing. I will pray for myself and you atheists

They still sing God Bless America at the ballgames on Sunday. The guy singing it yesterday at the Reds game was terrible. Played a guitar real slow, acted like he was about to cry. It sucked.

But the 7th inning stretch was saved with the organ playing Take Me Out to the Ballgame. Then they played a tape of Connie Smith singing Cincinnati, Ohio.

Formica, surfaces that shine.

What the hell does that have to do with my example of the Hindu who only heard about Christianity briefly from a college roommate?

It was in reply to your statement: "And as long as you read about it quickly or even remotely heard about it, there is law and transgression". I showed that to be untrue using an example of children reading it or remotely hearing about it and not being punished as if they are sinful. I'm not certain how God will judge those that have not heard the gospel of Jesus, but I suspect that "where there is no law, there is no sin" will be applied.

Even worse, what you're claiming Matthew 19 states is entirely different than what it is talking about. Read all of Matthew. Christ.

Yeah? Then why don't you tell us what Matt 19:14 is talking about? It plainly states (talking about children) that they are a representation of what those in the kingdom of heaven are like (innocent).

It was in reply to your statement: "And as long as you read about it quickly or even remotely heard about it, there is law and transgression". I showed that to be untrue using an example of children reading it or remotely hearing about it and not being punished as if they are sinful. I'm not certain how God will judge those that have not heard the gospel of Jesus, but I suspect that "where there is no law, there is no sin" will be applied.

The use of children is to show that they don't have the knowledge of your god. Adults/older children who have heard about it do. You're trying to claim adults who have heard about your god being the same as young children with no knowledge of him. If your god intended for that, he wouldn't have singled out young children. He would have included everyone. I'm not sure how you can confuse an adult who has heard about your god with children who have no clue.

Yeah? Then why don't you tell us what Matt 19:14 is talking about? It plainly states (talking about children) that they are a representation of what those in the kingdom of heaven are like (innocent).

What do you think your god's definition of "children" is? I have never seen it interpreted to mean kids aged 12. It has always been interpreted to be very young children.

What if a 3rd grader is already a cold, calculating sociopath, kills another kid, then takes his own life?

Here is some scripture showing what Jesus thinks of children..........

Matt 18:1 At the same time came the disciples unto Jesus, saying, Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?

2 And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them,

3 And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.

4 Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

5 And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me.

6 But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.

Matt 18:10 Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven.

A child is not responsible for the condition of their soul.

Here is some scripture showing what Jesus thinks of children..........

You left some out:

18 If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them:

19 Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place;

20 And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard.

21 And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear.

and this one . . .

“This is what the Lord Almighty says... ‘Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.’” (1 Samuel 15:3)

and this one . . .

“Happy is he who repays you for what you have done to us – he who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks.” (Psalm 137:9)

and this one . . .

‘Take your son, your only son Isaac, whom you love, and go to the land of Moriah, and offer him there as a burnt-offering on one of the mountains that I shall show you.’ (Genesis 22:2)

The use of children is to show that they don't have the knowledge of your god.

It most certainly is not a representation of them not having knowledge of God. It represents children as being in a condition like that of being in the kingdom of heaven (innocent). That's as plain as the nose on your face. Once again, you said ""And as long as you read about it quickly or even remotely heard about it, there is law and transgression". I've shown that to be false with Biblical scripture since children can read about God and hear about God but not be held accountable for sin. It seems you think reading a few verses or simply hearing about God brings about the law and transgression, but here's what the Bible says:

13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

18 If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them:

19 Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place;

20 And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard.

21 And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear.

I have 2 sons, both of them are in their 30's. Are they children? No.

“This is what the Lord Almighty says... ‘Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.’” (1 Samuel 15:3)

^^^^This is similar to what will happen, sooner or later, to people who persecute God's word and people. (Hint: just like you do all the time) I'll say this again in case you missed it in the past....God will NOT allow his Church to be overcome, ever.

This is not something I've studied much at all. But the overthrow of Babylon had been foretold and it was common in warfare at the time to kill everyone of your opponent's people.

‘Take your son, your only son Isaac, whom you love, and go to the land of Moriah, and offer him there as a burnt-offering on one of the mountains that I shall show you.’ (Genesis 22:2)

How'd that work out for Abraham?

3 And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children,
ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.

4 Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
based on that i'm definitely going to heaven. my wife is always telling me to grow the f up.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
I have 2 sons, both of them are in their 30's. Are they children? No.

^^^^This is similar to what will happen, sooner or later, to people who persecute God's word and people. (Hint: just like you do all the time) I'll say this again in case you missed it in the past....God will NOT allow his Church to be overcome, ever.

This is not something I've studied much at all. But the overthrow of Babylon had been foretold and it was common in warfare at the time to kill everyone of your opponent's people.

How'd that work out for Abraham?
frankly, i find a couple of your responses troubling, agreeing with only your first one . . . unless, the parents were lying about the child and the child is not a drunk, and the age portrayed is much younger. this one confuses me. is the son a man still leeching off the parents? if so, he got stoned for being a millennial before his time.

your second response went off on a tangent to avoid the topic and rifle's point. typical response from someone with no answer to a question they don't like.

nvrmnd.gif

Come on back. All we want is for you to give up everything you've ever known. It's no big deal.

On next week's episode we explore the harmful nature of caffeine and carbonation, then render the pop industry null and void as all the cans, bottles and jugs are removed from the stores and replaced with water fountains.

Think about the greatness. Every meal, bread. Every drink, water. You sit and hum during your waking hours. You sleep. That's it. Piece by piece, this is the goal.

frankly, i find a couple of your responses troubling, agreeing with only your first one . . . unless, the parents were lying about the child and the child is not a drunk, and the age portrayed is much younger. this one confuses me. is the son a man still leeching off the parents? if so, he got stoned for being a millennial before his time.

your second response went off on a tangent to avoid the topic and rifle's point. typical response from someone with no answer to a question they don't like.

Perhaps you find the responses troubling because you don't like the truth. Unless a person becomes a part of God's church, they sooner or later will be destroyed. If you think God's command to destroy a clan of people to protect his church is tragic, then consider the last command that the enemy of his church will hear...depart from me ye workers of iniquity. And then this happens:

Matthew 13:40 As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire; so shall it be in the end of this world.

41 The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;

42 And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Even if they clearly and knowingly choose to do evil?

That's the point. Children do not clearly and knowingly choose to do evil. A child could commit what we consider an atrocity, but God doesn't hold them accountable. Why? Because while they might understand that it's frowned upon by mom and dad and others they don't understand that it's against God's law. I've tried to show that with scripture when Jesus showed the children as "for of such is the kingdom of heaven".

"So at what exact age or moment are they responsible?"

When they know good from evil with an understanding of God's law.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT