ADVERTISEMENT

Christmas As a Parent

big_country90

Platinum Buffalo
Feb 9, 2007
One of the beautiful things about being a parent is that you get to enjoy the wonders of Christmas through the eyes of a child, all over again. I remember being so excited to have Santa come to the house that I could hardly stand it. Now, I get the pleasure of watching my 7 year old son and 3 year old daughter’s unbridled joy when it comes to this time of year. We just put them to bed with the excitement of knowing that Santa Claus will be here shortly, and that, when they wake up, they are going to have a magical Christmas.

Regardless of how little we had growing up, I always had a good Christmas. I now know the real sacrifices that my parents made in order to give me things like school clothes (using the small limit mom had on a Sears card so I could buy two outfits when there was no other way we could afford new clothes, and no other place I could buy them) and certain gifts they knew I wanted for Christmas. Mom sold Avon for years just so we could have lunch money ($2) and a good Christmas.

No matter how much we carry on and argue on here, I sincerely hope that each of you have a wonderful Christmas and are able to bring the joy to your children and families that they undoubtedly deserve.

Don’t ever take your blessings for granted, and always appreciate what you have, no matter how big or small.

Merry Christmas.

bc, believe it or not, it gets even better as a Grandparent! You see it through two sets of eyes. You have many more years of Christmas joy ahead.

Reactions: Chevy1 and GK4Herd
bc, believe it or not, it gets even better as a Grandparent!

I heard that for about 30 years. Could not grasp that concept of getting better. I realize not everyone experiences such things react to it like everyone else. But for those of you who haven't experienced being a grandparent, I hope you get to. It can be overwhelming, as it was in my case.

Reactions: goherd73
Do any of you parents/grandparents use any of the apps for Christmas (Capture Santa, Santa video calls, etc.)? They are phenomenal and well done. You have to pay a few dollars for most of them, but I can't imagine how excited children get when Santa says their name on a video call (implemented by the parents), knows their favorite color (implemented by the parents), etc.

You can not only cater to each child individually, but some of them are very well done and real looking.

Reactions: ThunderCat98
Wish I had known about those apps before now, I could have used those apps for my two 3 year old grandchildren. Our plans are to celebrate Christmas with our children and grandchildren this coming Saturday when we could all get together, and I will be dressing up in a Buddy the Elf costume to hand out presents. Not sure how the 3 year olds will react but I'm fairly certain my 11 year old granddaughter will think it's great. She has insisted her grandmother and I watch Elf (Will Ferrell) no less than 20 times. It cracks her up.

Wish I had known about those apps before now, I could have used those apps for my two 3 year old grandchildren. Our plans are to celebrate Christmas with our children and grandchildren this coming Saturday when we could all get together, and I will be dressing up in a Buddy the Elf costume to hand out presents. Not sure how the 3 year olds will react but I'm fairly certain my 11 year old granddaughter will think it's great. She has insisted her grandmother and I watch Elf (Will Ferrell) no less than 20 times. It cracks her up.

One of the apps that has video calls with Santa has post-Christmas stuff, too. In one video, Santa says the child's name and allows him/her to say "thanks" to the elves and reindeer for the Christmas gifts. I didn't buy it, but the demos of all of them appear to be really well done without glitches.

There is a "parent's only" section of the app where the parents can put in the child's name, the reason for the call (asking to be on the nice list, thanking Santa for the presents, etc.), and then the ability to interact with the child.

Probably the greatest Christmas I ever had was the one where my mother (Grew up in a single parent/working mother household) gave me a Wilson A2000 baseball glove for Christmas back around 1978. AT the time, it was one of the best gloves on the market and quite expensive as baseball gloves go. In reality, she couldn't really afford it but that was the only gift I got and I still treasure it. It just blew me away and I never appreciated a gift in my life so much as that. Just overwhelming love on her part.

She said the look on my face when I opened the box was priceless.

Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas

One of the things I got the grandson was a $400.00 stuffed giraffe. He said thanks grandpa. It looks just like the one some pervert wearing skinny jeans, and a $16,000.00 sweater attempted to give him last week.

Nothing like a good family fight at Christmas. Let's be honest. Holidays can be a pain in the ass

ADVERTISEMENT