ADVERTISEMENT

Chuck Landon: Next stop Nashville for C-USA?

That would be nice... I might make a 4.5 hour drive to Nashville... Have never even considered the 15 hours to Dallas.

That would be nice... I might make a 4.5 hour drive to Nashville... Have never even considered the 15 hours to Dallas.
I have always flown to Dallas every year until the past one. We drove straight through. No problem.
I always drove straight through to Tulsa too. I would fly to El Paso, however, Next to Memphis, El Paso was always my favorite tournament site

Reactions: RhinoD
I have always flown to Dallas every year until the past one. We drove straight through. No problem.
I always drove straight through to Tulsa too. I would fly to El Paso, however, Next to Memphis, El Paso was always my favorite tournament site

I flew to El Paso to see the Herd vs. UTEP in 2009 because I thought it would be a cool 5-day weekend destination... And it was... Other than we got demolished.

Don't think I would ever want to live there, but for a short vacation it was a lot of fun and the food was incredible.

I flew to El Paso to see the Herd vs. UTEP in 2009 because I thought it would be a cool 5-day weekend destination... And it was... Other than we got demolished.

Don't think I would ever want to live there, but for a short vacation it was a lot of fun and the food was incredible.
I have been there 2 times for football and both times the tournament was there. I really liked the area. Beautiful homes and Spanish architecture. Great restaurants and good weather.
Other than following The Herd there I had only been to El Paso one time back in the 70's for 2 days

Landon often just makes stuff up. For a league like CUSA the choice is between giving the whole series to a team as de facto home games, which is unfair and small-time; or dealing with a venue, often a pure rental deal where the league understands it is losing money from the start (i.e. MAC in Cleveland). I would be interested to see any actual links to which specific venue in Nashville wants CUSA and under what terms.

Landon often just makes stuff up. For a league like CUSA the choice is between giving the whole series to a team as de facto home games, which is unfair and small-time; or dealing with a venue, often a pure rental deal where the league understands it is losing money from the start (i.e. MAC in Cleveland). I would be interested to see any actual links to which specific venue in Nashville wants CUSA and under what terms.
The arena at Belmont has been brought up in discussions previously as well. Obviously it would be a rental arena, not like what we have always had in the past where money was given to the league to host it. The cities of Birmingham and Tulsa each guaranteed money to get the tournament on neutral floors. Obviously Memphis and El Paso each gave $1 million to host on the host school's home floor. I saw no problem with that. Memphis would have won on any floor and El Paso did NOT win either time they hosted. Coincidentally neither UAB or Tulsa won when it was in their city

My guess would be the Nashville Municipal Auditorium would be the most likely venue... I don't think the Predators are going to let a college hoops tourney use their arena for a week and playing the tournament at Belmont seems pretty illogical (Since Belmont isn't a CUSA member).

The good news is the Municipal Arena is owned by the city, so CUSA could probably negotiate using it comparatively cheaply. If the circus and rodeo can afford it Im sure CUSA can... The bad news, it's a 58 year old arena and it looks like it.

Reactions: Raiderclyde
My guess would be the Nashville Municipal Auditorium would be the most likely venue... I don't think the Predators are going to let a college hoops tourney use their arena for a week and playing the tournament at Belmont seems pretty illogical (Since Belmont isn't a CUSA member).

The good news is the Municipal Arena is owned by the city, so CUSA could probably negotiate using it comparatively cheaply. If the circus and rodeo can afford it Im sure CUSA can... The bad news, it's a 58 year old arena and it looks like it.
The Belmont facility has always been the venue mentioned. No different than Coastal Carolina being the venue mentioned if they go to Myrtle Beach. In fact that is where the pre-season event that used to be in Puerto Rico was relocated

ADVERTISEMENT