ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Prime

FreddyReef

Green Buffalo
Mar 10, 2017
What are the thoughts on Deion going to CU? He also told a room full of CU players to hop into the portal bc he’s bringing his own luggage.

I’m great with it. If players want NIL deals and the ability to hop from school to school without having to sit… then welcome to the big leagues, aka adulthood.

It’s been a great coaching story, though. He’s going to bring in some good talent from around the country. Some good players would love to play for him, just not at Jackson State. Now they can go to the PAC12 and get a lot of exposure.

I’ll support them and buy a shirt online.

Its truly the one hire I would never want. As soon as he has a chance to move up, he is bolting that day and taking everyone with him. I realize a lot of coaches are like that as well, but the problem is he will get rid of everything when he gets there and leave the biggest gaping hole when he leaves.

I question this hire as well. The CU job may be the biggest rebuilding gig in college football. Does he have the patience and know how to get it done? Not sure. Gonna be a tough first few years. jmo

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
- HBCU sports, IN MODERN TIMES (please don’t tell me about things that happened before you were born) are a joke. The NCAA classes them at I-AA (FCS) but they really don’t belong there. It is small time, increasingly played before a dying off fanbase who haven’t gotten the memo. Thus, how can we know how good a coach, recruiting and on the field, DS is? Colorado thus gives a P5 job to some guy who coached a de facto NAIA school where he spent his own money (mostly) to out recruit the other randos it plays, who didn’t have the money to compete.

- Colorado is not a good job. Not a place a lot of kids are going to see as a destination.

It’s still fun though. This is what they wanted… it doesn’t matter if he was successful at a souped up high school or juco, or hbcu… he won with the talent he had, even if it was with his own money.

You’re going to watch it, whether a dumpster fire or success story bc it’s going to get a lot of coverage. If some players go to CU for the opportunity for exposure.. cool. If they go because he will put them on tv..cool. You’ll see them get a game day spot and probably get to a bowl.

The transfer portal will be fun to watch players move in there though…

He should thank ESPN. They made him what he is. Nothing but a windbag! Last year, he said he wasn't going to leave Jackson State, because he was in it only to prop up HBCs. Guess a bunch of cash changed that. He will get rocked every week, because personality and loud mouthing doesn't win games.

I don’t care who you are as a coach, your ceiling is your QB, the talent you can get, and your ability to hire the right staff.

Mr. Sanders gave life to his current QB, could easily get better talent than his peers at JSU, and had the ability to get the right staff there.

We’ll see how that holds up at CU. I’m suprised he didn’t take the Cincinnati job. His act would have played better there.

Don’t kid yourself. Prime time is only in it for prime time. He doesn’t care about hbcus or anything that he claimed to care about. If he did he’d still be there building something
Exactly this. He's been on a media tour since he started at Jackson State talking about how they were just as good as anyone else and that he was going to prove it. Talked a big game and then he bolted for Colorado lol.

If you can find it there's a video of the halftime band performance from their championship game this weekend. The opposing team's PA guy was trolling the crap out of Jackson State fans when the news broke. It was both hilarious and unprofessional.

Reactions: rvntx
- HBCU sports, IN MODERN TIMES (please don’t tell me about things that happened before you were born) are a joke. The NCAA classes them at I-AA (FCS) but they really don’t belong there. It is small time, increasingly played before a dying off fanbase who haven’t gotten the memo. Thus, how can we know how good a coach, recruiting and on the field, DS is? Colorado thus gives a P5 job to some guy who coached a de facto NAIA school where he spent his own money (mostly) to out recruit the other randos it plays, who didn’t have the money to compete.

- Colorado is not a good job. Not a place a lot of kids are going to see as a destination.
Yea he was down there dominating with a bunch of P5 guys he lured down there. Like that Travis Hunter. I think his son might get exposed as well. He was dominating down there, but it's going to be a different story now. Especially at Colorado.

Interestingly it wasn't too long ago that Colorado had a Father/Son duo at HC and QB. It didn't work out well.

He should thank ESPN. They made him what he is. Nothing but a windbag! Last year, he said he wasn't going to leave Jackson State, because he was in it only to prop up HBCs. Guess a bunch of cash changed that. He will get rocked every week, because personality and loud mouthing doesn't win games.
Yea this is why I wish coaches would just shut up and coach. They all come in and tell everyone how much they love the school, how it's a dream opportunity, and then pile on all of these empty promises while anyone with a shred of common sense know they are bolting.

Just come in, promise to do the best job you can, and try to leave the program in better shape then when you took over. It's sad how many fans fall for it though. As Brian Kelly and Lincoln Riley have proven outside of probably Saban at Bama and Ferentz at Iowa there isn't a single coach that isn't exploring options. Shoot we just watched Coastal's HC take a lateral move for money.

I dont understand guys that bolt at the first opportunity... Dion could have stayed at JSU one more season, won that league again with his kid at QB, and probably gotten at least a mid-level P5 job.

Instead, he drops everything to head to one of the worst P5 jobs in the country, with absolutely no recent history of success and an administration who openly admitted they do not have the money to pay him and his staff yet and are begging boosters to increase their donations.

What is the best case scenario for Dion?... Sign a ton of portal guys, make it to 7-5 in a couple years, and bolt again for greener pastures?

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I dont understand guys that bolt at the first opportunity... Dion could have stayed at JSU one more season, won that league again with his kid at QB, and probably gotten at least a mid-level P5 job.

Instead, he drops everything to head to one of the worst P5 jobs in the country, with absolutely no recent history of success and an administration who openly admitted they do not have the money to pay him and his staff yet and are begging boosters to increase their donations.

What is the best case scenario for Dion?... Sign a ton of portal guys, make it to 7-5 in a couple years, and bolt again for greener pastures?
I guess he just sees it as a foot in the door. Who knows. Deion's biggest problem when it comes to higher profile jobs is his personality is, at least know, bigger than his coaching ability. At least as far as perception goes. For Colorado this is a publicity stunt as much as it is a coaching hire. Having Primetime as their HC brings eyeballs and attention they just don't get. Maybe it works. Maybe it doesn't. Neither party was going to do much better. Deion's only real hope was for the FSU job to come open at some point, but even then he has to prove he can coach as well as he talk.

Any Buff fan that falls for him though is a complete fool. One way or another this is going to be a short partnership.

I’m sure he will be investigated for being mean to the snowflakes and cleaning house, oh that’s right, he won’t.

Yea this is why I wish coaches would just shut up and coach. They all come in and tell everyone how much they love the school, how it's a dream opportunity, and then pile on all of these empty promises while anyone with a shred of common sense know they are bolting.
See: Charles Huff…..

That’s exactly his goal. It’ll be basically a souped up JUCO team with a ton of talent in random places, get some wins, and wait for a school that has larger fan base and more money to hire you with a 5 year 50mil deal, then retire.

Deion's only real hope was for the FSU job to come open at some point, but even then he has to prove he can coach as well as he talk.

Any Buff fan that falls for him though is a complete fool. One way or another this is going to be a short partnership.
Its funny you mention FSU... When I was think of jobs that might be open next year that Deion would have definitely been "on the radar" for, the three that came to mind were FSU, Miami and Texas A/M

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
Its funny you mention FSU... When I was think of jobs that might be open next year that Deion would have definitely been "on the radar" for, the three that came to mind were FSU, Miami and Texas A/M
I just really don't think any team serious about winning is going to look at Deion. Let's be honest. Would he have even gotten the Jackson State job if his name weren't Deion. No. They're hiring Primetime, not Deion Sanders. Why? Exposure and the hopes he lures players that want to play for Deion. I know he "turned around" Jackson State, but he just brought in players that were well above the league's talent level and ran over less talented teams. He's not going to be able to do that at Colorado. Sure he may lure some really good and even great players there, but he's not going to be able to elevate his team above the rest.

After this Jimbo debacle I would assume aTm is going to be a lot more picky and careful with their next hire.

Exactly this. He's been on a media tour since he started at Jackson State talking about how they were just as good as anyone else and that he was going to prove it. Talked a big game and then he bolted for Colorado lol.

If you can find it there's a video of the halftime band performance from their championship game this weekend. The opposing team's PA guy was trolling the crap out of Jackson State fans when the news broke. It was both hilarious and unprofessional.

I guess he just sees it as a foot in the door. Who knows. Deion's biggest problem when it comes to higher profile jobs is his personality is, at least know, bigger than his coaching ability. At least as far as perception goes. For Colorado this is a publicity stunt as much as it is a coaching hire. Having Primetime as their HC brings eyeballs and attention they just don't get. Maybe it works. Maybe it doesn't. Neither party was going to do much better. Deion's only real hope was for the FSU job to come open at some point, but even then he has to prove he can coach as well as he talk.

Yea, because you know ESPN is going to cover every time he farts.

Yea, because you know ESPN is going to cover every time he farts.
Colorado will probably get more media coverage over the next season or two than they have their entire existence.

I was just talking to one of my coworkers about this at lunch and it's a question I asked last week about the Dilfer hire at UAB.

1. What was Colorado's short list to start?
2. Once reality hit who was actually on their short list.
3. Were any of them better than hiring Deion Sanders.

Sure they could have found a nice up and coming G5 coach or a retread from another staff and maybe even rebounded to an 8 win season in a few seasons, but they still pretty much wouldn't exist to anyone outside of Boulder. Since 2000, Colorado has posted only 5 winning seasons. 2001 (10-3 Finished #9/#9), 2002 (9-5 finished #21/#20), 2004 (8-5), 2006 (7-6), and 2016 (10-4 (#15/#17).

Even if this fails they kind of win. In the short term they're going to steal a lot of attention, donations are going to pour in, tickets will sell, and they'll possibly get better players. What that actually translates to on the field only time will tell. I'm skeptical because all-time great players don't usually make great coaches.

Reactions: marshallherdfan2
If he is sucessful at Colorado by rebuilding that program into winners, he can write his own ticket.
I wish him luck because he will need it. That place would test any coach.

Cincy doesn't need Deion. They need to hire someone serious. They're actually in position to keep growing.
Didn't say they did. Just said they weren't going to shell out 6 million for a coach. I really don't think he would have gotten 6 million anywhere else. I like the hire. None of us know his ceiling. College football need some pizazz. To me, the act might get old, but it's not the team I root for, so I'll follow the show.

Now Louisville is open. Wonder what direction they will go?
I would think Louisville is a pretty attractive job... The ACC outside of Clemson is weak, there is some recent history of success, their fans/boosters think they are more relevant than they are so they donate at a high level.

They won't have any trouble finding someone to step in there.

Cincinnati already hired their new coach, and if serious was what they were going after, I feel they hired a dud.
Goodness. What were they thinking there. Somehow I missed that one. You'd think with their recent success and moving to the Big XII they could have done a lot better than Satterfield.

Didn't say they did. Just said they weren't going to shell out 6 million for a coach. I really don't think he would have gotten 6 million anywhere else. I like the hire. None of us know his ceiling. College football need some pizazz. To me, the act might get old, but it's not the team I root for, so I'll follow the show.
Honestly if Prime can be successful I think it's a great thing for the sport in general. We're losing all the Head Coaches with personalities.

Colorado:

No immeidate expectation because they have sucked for a long time now.

Some history. I remember when they won a title in 1990.

Pac 12 weakening with the exit of USC and others.

College football coaching is changing. NIL deals and the portal. Prime Time fits this.

High tech corporate money in Colorado, pay the players and bring entertainment value. He will be interesting.

I will watch how I word this, but Colorado you can smoke weed and around Denver and that high tech corridor it is more like California now than Nebraska if that makes sense. Draw you own conclusions.

Deon can attracct talent from across the country.

Deon can actually coach.

Good fit for both. If he went straight to a blue blood program the suits and ties won't give him the freedom Colorado will in many regards.

If he wins there he will go to the SEC or a Flordia school and look out. I think the guy can be very succesful.

Reactions: conda1417
Makes me think of John Wooden and how he won using basics and traditional values. He wouldn’t stand a chance today.
Different times unfortunately. Back in Wooden's day you broke a player's ego and taught them how to be about team and not self. Today's coach has to stroke egos or they get fired.

I think have too low of an opinion of Prime as a coach. He played for a national championship coach in college. He played under some very good HCs in the pros. He knows football.

I’ve said it many times, but you can have a HC who isn’t a great, life long, technique teaching coach. You need:

1. A strong person who can motivate and focus people on a common mission/goal.

2. A person who can energize donors and fans - effectively sell the program.

3. A person who can attract talent (there are reports that over 200 players contacted Colorado within 24 hours of the announcement).

4. A person with strong contacts to identify, recruit and retain top assistants.

It’s a position of vision setting, delegation, and oversight. He will get better talent than Colorado has seen in 30 years. He’ll kill the portal because he can get the guys who would have played for him but didn’t want non P5.

Louisville fan base and local media are all about Jeff Brohm but can they get him?

Very true but I doubt Cincy was going to pay him 5.9 million per year. Fickell was 3 to 3.5 I think.
Fickell was making $5 million under his current contract, Cincinnati was reported to match Wisconsin if he would have stayed.

Satterfield’s deal is around $3.4 million with a $7.25 million assistant pool.

I think Prime Time’s assistant pool is smaller but base obviously higher. Doubt Cincinnati was going to pay Prime Time a Fickell salary.

Agreed on others wondering about the hire. There weren’t a lot of great candidates this cycle. Time will tell. Satterfield and Louisville hated each other from basically day one. Maybe that affected performance.

Last edited:
Coach Prime is the coach for today. He will be able to work the transfer portal. It makes it easy when kids come knocking on your door. He can navigate the NIL with people wanting to throw money at him. Look for the field to be renamed soon. (Aflac Field I would guess.) USPAM messed up by not contacting him. I’m sure their pillows are already wet with tears knowing they passed on him. It would have been a financial windfall for their athletic department.

Coach Prime is the coach for today. He will be able to work the transfer portal. It makes it easy when kids come knocking on your door. He can navigate the NIL with people wanting to throw money at him. Look for the field to be renamed soon. (Aflac Field I would guess.) USPAM messed up by not contacting him. I’m sure their pillows are already wet with tears knowing they passed on him. It would have been a financial windfall for their athletic department.
Prime Time in Morgantown. Just don't see that as a good marriage.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT