ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Ratliff

Thank you guys for your posts. I usually see brian or darrell almost everyday. Never do we not talk about Phil. Phil wanted to coach here as head coach. I believe he was the only coach Doc kept. Phil's dad health is not so good. If you all know darrell go see him and sharon.

Reactions: jeremycriss
Losing Phil last August, then my brother Bob right after that, really left me in a dark place for awhile. Phil was a good friend, and we actually did an hour long radio show with just the two of us when he was Coach at Spring Valley. It is hard to imagine Jenny, Haley and Dalton without that bigger-than-life personality Phil brought to every thing we did together, Marshall football (as player and equipment manager), the Brown-Bartrum Camp (which Phil made it go in those early years at Spring Valley HS) or coaching the Herd. I truly believe he one day would have been head coach here in Huntington and so many of us miss him every day, but especially Saturday. "Come on, boys, let's go," how I would like to hear that one more time!

Quotes I remember....

"We're gonna seee whooooooo realllly wants it todaaaaay"
"Make your pee hot"
"Most important game cause it's our next game"

Once in high school practice I tackled the starting QB, he picked me up off the ground by my facemask giving me the evil eyes and spitting he says
" WHAT ARE DOING !!! YOU CANT HIT THE QUARTERBACK!!!"

Such good times....... and what a cheerleader he was .. never stopped trying to inspire you..

Or a time he brought Jason starkey in for pregame talk Jason Started getting pumped veins popping voice Trimbling and then came the cussing and Phil jumps in and says " ok ok ok I think they got it" laughing

Losing Phil last August, then my brother Bob right after that, really left me in a dark place for awhile. Phil was a good friend, and we actually did an hour long radio show with just the two of us when he was Coach at Spring Valley. It is hard to imagine Jenny, Haley and Dalton without that bigger-than-life personality Phil brought to every thing we did together, Marshall football (as player and equipment manager), the Brown-Bartrum Camp (which Phil made it go in those early years at Spring Valley HS) or coaching the Herd. I truly believe he one day would have been head coach here in Huntington and so many of us miss him every day, but especially Saturday. "Come on, boys, let's go," how I would like to hear that one more time!

Woody I remember the club house pizza parties/ radio shows!!

Reactions: Woody Woodrum
After tonight's game, it looks like he left quite a legacy with the kids down there... I sure hate to lose, but my hat's off to them.

Brad Lambert said they watched a video on Phil just before they took the field tonight. Every player on the team for first four years were recruited under Ratliff's leading the recruiting for Lambert! Don't like losing, but I guess Phil-Brad-Rockhead (Jim Durning) just added a win to "The Decade, The Dynasty" tonight for the 1990-99 era.

Reactions: jeremycriss
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT