ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching choices

Dec 16, 2020
Please tell me we aren't going to hire a typical Marshall type of hire. These would include

Rich Rodriguez
Tony Gibson
Chad Pennington
Darius Watts
Hal Greer

You get the idea... let's please go hire the best person for the job, not the most Marshall hire ever.

Leftwich is being rumored for NFL head jobs in Jacksonville and Houston... I'd call him as a courtesy, but no way he takes the MU opening.

Same with Chad, I'd call him and ask if he'd like to be on staff (maybe as QB coach if his son comes here) but I doubt he would be interested in the head coaching job.

Theoretically, our list of candidates should include roughly 10 guys who are either successful head coaches at smaller schools or successful OC's from bigger programs who are looking to run their own ship... Realistically, our list is probably Brad Lambert, Tim Cramsey, and Stowers.

BL is going to be an NFL HC within 2 years.

CP has no experience at the college level.

Neither want the job.

Reality is this is a terrible job. Any hot up and comer is going to wait for a better gig, which would include just about any other G5 job there is and not a few I-AA jobs.

After a "search" they will trot out either retread loser Lambert, or some other retread loser, or some guy with some sort of issue.

Reactions: slobud and rvntx
IMO a good starting list:
  • Any coach from Nick Saban's current staff WITH his support
  • Tom Harmon (he'll have $15 million from the Texas buyout)
  • Joe Moorhead (offensive scheme, was making good progress at Miss. State before exiting), Pittsburgh guy
  • Matt Canada (Steelers QB Coach, deep NCAA coaching resume)
Just a start.

Sam can talk about how bad the Marshall job is... And it's certainly not all gravy (terrible recruiting area, poor state and local economy, fickle fanbase, etc)... But at the end of the day, there are only 130 head coaching spots in FBS and there are a lot of guys who want those jobs and have the necessary qualifications.

My concern isn't that MU won't be able to find a qualified guy who wants the job, but rather the whole "search committee" process is a dog and pony show to hand the head job over to Lambert.

IMO a good starting list:
  • Any coach from Nick Saban's current staff WITH his support
  • Tom Harmon (he'll have $15 million from the Texas buyout)
  • Joe Moorhead (offensive scheme, was making good progress at Miss. State before exiting), Pittsburgh guy
  • Matt Canada (Steelers QB Coach, deep NCAA coaching resume)
Just a start.
Lol, sure we can get anyone we want...

Neither want the job.

Reality is this is a terrible job. Any hot up and comer is going to wait for a better gig, which would include just about any other G5 job there is and not a few I-AA jobs.

After a "search" they will trot out either retread loser Lambert, or some other retread loser, or some guy with some sort of issue.

What is your problem with the fans? Doc Holiday was here for 11 years! 11 freaking years he wasn’t given 2 years and the fan base said we want him gone. They decided to not renew his contract after 11 years.

You act like he just got here it’s ridiculous. I’ll tell you this even after another one of his crazy wheels coming off losses to a bottom 100 team that we were favored to win by double digits at home, he still could have salvaged the fan base if he would have turned around and beat UAB in the championship game.

But instead the last 4 weeks of Coach Holidays tenure at Marshall saw us lose 2 very winnable home games, mysteriously cancel the Charlotte game ( the AD said it wasn’t COVID related) and then lose to a lowly MAC school in a bowl game.

I mean do you literally have zero expectations of the football program at all.

IMO, this fanbase is about as loyal to the coaches (and program) as you can get. For the very reasons you mentioned. Doc was supported by and large by a majority for a decade. "Fickle" would be Texas...
Agree, the people that trash the fan base either don't know shit or haven't watched, listened to or been around college/pro sports much. I really don't get where they are coming from. Attendance is down in all sports across the spectrum, COVID is not going to help that in next year or so. The school is located in a depressed area economically yet our attendance numbers stand well against MAC, CUSA, SB teams and most of the MWC teams. Not sure what people want.
I refer again to Rockdogs post last week - easily proves the fans and community support Marshall very well - all things considered.

I'm tallying up these tweets, and so far, all the white players want Lambert.

I think we need to see who the brothers want. I'm thinking RichRod, and possibly rifle on his staff, assuming Rod has never read some of rifle's posts about his wife over on Pullman.

Outrageously false.

Do you think the "committee" will listen to the players at all? I don't mind Lambert as long as Cramsey goes. OR if Lambert will let Cramsey do his stuff and not put the brakes on.

How do you know Cramsey Ball is not Doc Ball? He may have been part of the problem. I feel he should go as well.

Neither want the job.

But this was a great job in a great conference when your great coach was at the helm.

How do you know Cramsey Ball is not Doc Ball? He may have been part of the problem. I feel he should go as well.
I am not sure. On the surface Cramsey should go. But everyone wanted Legg gone but only to find out Doc was putting on the brakes. Or at least that’s what was going around.
I want a national search done and hire an up and coming young guy.

and possibly rifle on his staff, assuming Rod has never read some of rifle's posts about his wife over on Pullman.

Since you brought it up, have any of you seen Holgorsen’s daughter lately? My keyboard is now sticky just typing about her.

I want our entire staff gone and I hope our new coach is a 35 year old FCS head coach with an exciting offense.
We are a small school in a small state. I see no reason that we want to limit our options to only those with Marshall or West Virginia connections
I agree with you, but not sure they'll go that route.

Matt Entz (ND State) would be a great hire. He almost looks like a WV guy. Nathan Brown (Central Ark) would be another good one, or even Jeff Choate (Montana State), even though he's pushing 50, but he's from Ohio. Jay Hill (Weber State) would be another one. Rifle may know more about these guys, whether or not they would be good fits.

I agree with you, but not sure they'll go that route.

Matt Entz (ND State) would be a great hire. He almost looks like a WV guy. Nathan Brown (Central Ark) would be another good one, or even Jeff Choate (Montana State), even though he's pushing 50, but he's from Ohio. Jay Hill (Weber State) would be another one. Rifle may know more about these guys, whether or not they would be good fits.

But, but, but...we need someone who is going to come and stay permanently until he retires, cuz that's what every program has.

We are becoming an assisted living for coaches and athletic directors, apparently.

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)

Neither want the job.

might as well give it to rifle then and we can watch you finish the meltdown.

I want our entire staff gone and I hope our new coach is a 35 year old FCS head coach with an exciting offense.
We are a small school in a small state. I see no reason that we want to limit our options to only those with Marshall or West Virginia connections
I agree , herdmeister. We need a total refresh.

Matt Entz (ND State) would be a great hire.

Good coach, bad fit.

If you look at the last string of NDSU coaches, you'll see they have all had great success at NDSU. But when they have moved to FBS, they haven't done much of note. Bohls at Wyoming has been fine, and it isn't an easy place to recruit to, but he hasn't raised the bar that much, especially in a conference that has seen as much instability as the Mountain West.

Klieman at Kansas State has done nothing to improve the program. Granted, he's only been there two years.

Based on the track record of his predecessors, Entz wouldn't necessarily light Huntington up, and as a defensive guy, don't expect a whole lot of fun watching the games.

And who is he going to recruit? His base has been totally different than Marshall's historical recruiting base.

Nathan Brown (Central Ark) would be another good one,

He's done a poor job since taking over. The two years prior to him taking over, they made the playoffs. He hasn't been to the playoffs in any of his three years, and they aren't nearly as good. Worse, even when he was their OC, it was their defense that carried that program. Their current OC is my former head coach, and they haven't done much of anything on offense during Brown's three years as head coach there.

Jay Hill (Weber State) would be another one. Rifle may know more about these guys, whether or not they would be good fits.

I'd like this hire a lot. He is based in a state with a low population, a state that has three FBS teams (Utah, BYU, Utah State) to try and get leftovers from, and in a conference with historically strong teams, yet he has gone 21-3 in his conference over the past three seasons. He has learned from some of the best (Urban Meyer, Kyle Whittingham) and is intelligent (pre-med guy who was going to be a surgeon). From what I've heard, he is respected both by his players and staff.

My biggest thing is accountability, and I know he is also huge on that. It doesn't matter how small the error is, he is going to hold people accountable and make sure it is corrected. That doesn't mean he is an authoritarian or isn't a players coach, but he holds people responsible.

I think Utah State screwed up by not hiring him. Blake Anderson is a nice guy and is a nice passing game coordinator, but I think he has been exposed as being an overrated head coach.

Would Hill take the Marshall job? It's not a given. Last year, he was probably the leader for the BYU job had they canned their HC. I think he could be a Mountain West head coach soon.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT