ADVERTISEMENT

Cole Pennington

ohio herd

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2012
With Cam now in the transfer portal it is clear that Cole will be our starter in the bowl game. Curious what some of you think his strength and weakness are ( please don't say anything that may appear to be mean or Coach Huff might have to have another press conference) . Anyhow, I personally think he has a huge upside. He seems to have the ability to throw the ball downfield with accuracy and it seemed to me he was actually making reads. What I saw was he still has to get caught up to the speed of the game. It would also help if the OL would give him some good pass protection and the OC ( whoever that may be) will call some plays that will play to his strengths. What do you blokes think?

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
With Cam now in the transfer portal it is clear that Cole will be our starter in the bowl game. Curious what some of you think his strength and weakness are ( please don't say anything that may appear to be mean or Coach Huff might have to have another press conference) . Anyhow, I personally think he has a huge upside. He seems to have the ability to throw the ball downfield with accuracy and it seemed to me he was actually making reads. What I saw was he still has to get caught up to the speed of the game. It would also help if the OL would give him some good pass protection and the OC ( whoever that may be) will call some plays that will play to his strengths. What do you blokes think?

lol... Huff doesn't seem to like Cole so he probably would agree with fans that talk poorly about him.

Cam seems to be "Run first, pass later" which could be attributed to his horrendous O-Line.
Cole appears to be the opposite "pass first, run later."

If Doege is the one conducting this offense then honestly, not sure what to expect.
If Clinterception Trickett were? We all have predicted what would happen.

Good news is Doege has had some time to evaluate and see what he has to work with.

Hopefully they win so MU can continue to have one of the best bowl records, but I also see it as an evaluation to who/what is/isn't working.

Reactions: ohio herd
I like Cole, but I haven't seen enough out of him to know if he's the answer going forward. In his first start he looked pretty solid, but in his next start he looked like the game was still too fast for him and the defense was confusing the heck out of him.

He throws a better ball than Cam did so that's a start.

Unsure about Coles athleticism so far. For now he is a bit rigid in the pocket which requires max protect. The truly productive qbs have the ability to extend plays using their skill set to move not to mention the rpo game. That said how much of this is play calling and limiting the scheme based on his inexperience. I hope the young man develops and does well here.

I don't think any of us know. He has good size and potentially more strength in his arm than his dad by the time he leaves but he clearly has the training wheels on. He really needed an entire off season of starter prep and I feel sorry that he has been thrust out there like this.

I still feel like he is a good prospect that I hope sticks around and is given enough reps to compete with next year in the spring and fall. I don't want to see him get lost in the shuffle. His dad had a rough start but he was eventually spectacular.

Unsure about Coles athleticism so far. For now he is a bit rigid in the pocket which requires max protect. The truly productive qbs have the ability to extend plays using their skill set to move not to mention the rpo game. That said how much of this is play calling and limiting the scheme based on his inexperience. I hope the young man develops and does well here.
I agree with your points about his overall pocket awareness... I am hoping that improves as he gets more game reps. You could tell this year that he was speeding the game up in his head (and may have been told to do so). Every play was one read, immediate check down.

Like every QB ever, there are things to like with Cole... Size, arm strength, etc. By all accounts he's a nice kid and he has a high football IQ... But there are certainly questions too... Decision making being atop the list.

Really want to see him with a full off-season with a qb coach and new OC. Hopefully the OC is a homerun hire, because we could use some luck on that end. I don't think Cole has to be spectacular, if he could be a 20-25 td guy with a 2:1 td-int ratio then that would fix alot of the offenses issues. At any rate I hope whoever wins the job next year is at least average.

I thought Cole was thrown into a system not designed for him. The play-calling seemed to want to show Cole as not able to make plays. When you have Zero blocking playcalling has to be priority, Trickett just thought, ok Cole can’t run as much as Cam so we will just throw the ball, that’s impossible when you have no line.
Ali should have been our first option with Cole in there. Again Trickett needed to adjust and couldn’t, needed to learn another QBs strengths and couldn’t, needed to coach his QBs and couldn’t… so he’s gone.

I thought Cole was thrown into a system not designed for him. The play-calling seemed to want to show Cole as not able to make plays. When you have Zero blocking playcalling has to be priority, Trickett just thought, ok Cole can’t run as much as Cam so we will just throw the ball, that’s impossible when you have no line.
Ali should have been our first option with Cole in there. Again Trickett needed to adjust and couldn’t, needed to learn another QBs strengths and couldn’t, needed to coach his QBs and couldn’t… so he’s gone.
I agree.

Cole was in a lose/lose situation.

I agree.

Cole was in a lose/lose situation.
Cole will do some good things for Marshall should he stick around, I think we will see a transfer come in and start. Does the new OC have it in him to coach and organize the QB room so that no matter who plays the QB will have the opportunity to showcase their strengths, not sure yet. But Cole has the mechanics and now some experience so I don’t see him failing miserably unless thrown in a system not geared towards his ability. Hopefully this bowl game has a balance attack of ground and short passes and multiple backs getting carries.

Cole will do some good things for Marshall should he stick around, I think we will see a transfer come in and start. Does the new OC have it in him to coach and organize the QB room so that no matter who plays the QB will have the opportunity to showcase their strengths, not sure yet. But Cole has the mechanics and now some experience so I don’t see him failing miserably unless thrown in a system not geared towards his ability. Hopefully this bowl game has a balance attack of ground and short passes and multiple backs getting carries.

I think he'll be developed as best the new OC can do.
One thing about Cole that isn't present elsewhere is he seems to be about himself as a QB. He's not chasing NIL money, he doesn't need it.
He's gonna try to be the best QB he can be. I hope it's at MU.
However, I fully expect if Cole transfers, MU fans blame MU for somehow not being able to keep the son of a legend.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I think he'll be developed as best the new OC can do.
One thing about Cole that isn't present elsewhere is he seems to be about himself as a QB. He's not chasing NIL money, he doesn't need it.
He's gonna try to be the best QB he can be. I hope it's at MU.
However, I fully expect if Cole transfers, MU fans blame MU for somehow not being able to keep the son of a legend.
I believe he is where he needs to be, he is like every kid on the team, wants to play. He is in the right league and given a new offensive scheme might impress. Cam would have been a great slot guy given time to hit the weight room and pack on some muscle.

As 90% of the board.
And you love Cam because he's your kid. Totally understandable, but doesn't change anything.

And to be more precise, 90% of the board was in love with wanting to see a change at QB, regardless of who, because we grew extremely tired of seeing an offense lead by Cam that could barely convert a down, let alone score.

And you love Cam because he's your kid. Totally understandable, but doesn't change anything.

Last time you said he was my brother, the BS keeps changing, or maybe it's your dementia.

People like you are why some QB's don't feel welcome. It's unfortunate.

I am sorry Cam had to deal with 2 dozen or so idiots. It's unfortunate. Every fan base has them sadly. Still, no excuse
Not just a Fancher thing, happened to Wells and Litton as well. Wasnt it CockyJermy who told Litton he wished he would break his leg in NM Bowl.

• Wow
Reactions: ohio herd
Last time you said he was my brother, the BS keeps changing, or maybe it's your dementia.

People like you are why some QB's don't feel welcome. It's unfortunate.
You have yet to deny any accusations, and I am not the only one who suggested you must be related as to why you persist in blindly defending him.

People like you is why our program is in the gutter. You just want to be nice to people, because you're an idiot rather than hold them accountable.

Does anyone know who is calling the offense in the bowl game seeing that Trickett and Legg are gone? Is Doege getting thrown in there?

Not just a Fancher thing, happened to Wells and Litton as well. Wasnt it CockyJermy who told Litton he wished he would break his leg in NM Bowl.
There are assholes everywhere. While I don't have an issue critiquing someone's play or coaching, to call them names or personally attack is going over the line, in my book.

I'll be honest, I am glad Litton left. I did think he was more of hindrance to the program than a help.

I think the most graphic way to describe the hateful fan base vibe heading into the bowl game is to borrow & alter slightly a line from the movie “Gladiator”…..
“We who are about to lose, salute you!”

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
This bowl experience for Cole will give us all a chance to evaluate his potential to be MU's QB for the future. He has adequate preparation time and fully understands the importance of this opportunity. Chad probably has given him some tips and guidance, but the real question is his ability to adjust to D-1 football and its fast pace. He has size, but is obviously not very mobile. His arm strength is solid, but he must react faster to find receivers. He does not have the feet to escape. His Dad had a 6th sense and would step up in the pocket to evade rushers. If Cole could do that, he might pass the test. We would all like to see him succeed because of Chad's success at MU, but he will need to show us some valid potential in this upcoming game.

This bowl experience for Cole will give us all a chance to evaluate his potential to be MU's QB for the future. He has adequate preparation time and fully understands the importance of this opportunity. Chad probably has given him some tips and guidance, but the real question is his ability to adjust to D-1 football and its fast pace. He has size, but is obviously not very mobile. His arm strength is solid, but he must react faster to find receivers. He does not have the feet to escape. His Dad had a 6th sense and would step up in the pocket to evade rushers. If Cole could do that, he might pass the test. We would all like to see him succeed because of Chad's success at MU, but he will need to show us some valid potential in this upcoming game.
Yea I don't think we can use this bowl for any gauge really. Unless he goes out and throws for 400 yards and 5 TDs.

He's down at least one lineman, who knows what Ali is going to do, and we don't have an OC. I am not saying that it's going to be, but there are indicators that this could be ugly. If Cole goes out there and has a bad game, we all just need to disregard it.

I know it's hard for everyone, but in order to be fair to Cole we need to forget that he is Chad's son.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT