ADVERTISEMENT

College Gameday

MichiganHerd

Platinum Buffalo
Aug 17, 2011
Brewpub w/coeds
Looking at the schedule of games on November 14th, there's a shot that gameday could be in Huntington, likely predicated on if the Herd can continue to win between now and then. Few tough games ahead, including this Saturday, but there's really not any really huge games that day. Bama @ LSU would have been a big one, but LSU seems to have fallen off quite a bit. Wisconsin @ Michigan is potentially another one, but Michigan will likely have two or three losses by then.

It would be cool to see, but I wouldn't get my hopes up... Like you said, Wisconsin-Michigan is two top-20 teams... So is Texas A&M and Tennessee... So is Virginia Tech and Miami... Also potentially Penn State and Nebraska

Hopefully they will have a segment on the anniversary. Maybe the AD needs to put a bug in their ear.

I just don't think the national audience considers Marshall or its story to be that important.

Ever since the movie, every time the Herd has played on a national broadcast, regardless of network, the production team always does a bit about the plane crash as a time-filler in the broadcast, and it leads our fans to think that there is a deep, lasting national prescience to it, when I'm not really sure that there is.

It's crazy to think about, but I remember a time when ESPN would come to Huntington and do in-game bits about the Rose Garden at Ritter Park. Now it's just plane crash plane crash plane crash because its the lowest-hanging fruit of the Marshall side/backstory.

I just don't think the national audience considers Marshall or its story to be that important.

Ever since the movie, every time the Herd has played on a national broadcast, regardless of network, the production team always does a bit about the plane crash as a time-filler in the broadcast, and it leads our fans to think that there is a deep, lasting national prescience to it, when I'm not really sure that there is.

It's crazy to think about, but I remember a time when ESPN would come to Huntington and do in-game bits about the Rose Garden at Ritter Park. Now it's just plane crash plane crash plane crash because its the lowest-hanging fruit of the Marshall side/backstory.
I kind of agree with that. I wish they would focus on our winning history and those we have sent on to do great things. The plane crash is our history which we will never forget and it belongs to us.

Reactions: herdalicious

I totally understand what you're saying, but you need to know that I've been reading these forums for almost two decades now, and the thought of hosting college gameday has come up 643 times during that period of time, and not once have I had the opportunity to start a thread about it, well, not until this morning.

Just remember, there's a first time for everything, but time is starting to run out for me, in showing off my skills of Euclidean geometry. You see, I learned that stuff back in '75, and now 45 years later, with the last 38 being spent working for large manufacturing corporations, not once have I had the opportunity to show off my parallelogram skills. Like college gameday coming to Huntington, I'm holding out hope to show off to my peers, utilizing the amazing parallelogram, you know, the thing with a simple quadrilateral with two pairs of parallel sides. The opposite or facing sides of a parallelogram are of equal length and the opposite angles of a parallelogram are of equal measure. First time for everything.

• Haha
Reactions: herdalicious
Well, I think in lot of minds, including some/many in MU administrative positions, the 50th Anniversary is NOT just another yearly anniversary. Means for one thing, that many family members and those involved with the program in 1970, as well as many MU students at the time are growing older and, sadly, passing on perhaps more often.

The other "factor" may very well be is how the top programs among the so call G5 fare as the coming weeks proceed. MU keeps winning, other top G5 teams from leagues like the Sun Belt, the AAC, etc., start beating one another, then by November 14th the Herd should, hopefully, be entrenched in the polls somewhere in the top 25. The issue of, and quest for, the G5 bowl slot on New Year's day could be drawing national attention and just could be the thing that gets Game Day to H town!

ESPN won't come to Huntington to promote a game thats being played on a rival network. That game is on CBSSN
They actually have gone to cities where they wouldn’t cover the game. Today they are in Alabama for a game in prime time in CBS. They have done Big Ten games and not covered the game. Herbstreit catches a private jet (wheels up) to the location he is doing the game.

Saying that the likelihood of them being in Huntington is not very good. MTSU isn’t that good. Also they are doing their broadcast inside the stadiums now to keep fans away. Our game is at noon and the fountain ceremony is at 9. No way a TV show will broadcast in the stadium and game starts at end of the show.

Gameday. I agree with HerdFan73. I want to see Gameday come to Huntington. But not that week, or this year, and not for that reason. Some day, in some ordinary, and far more normal, year, we need to deserve getting that show on that year's team's merit.

CBSSN. Clearly the ESPN policy a few years ago was that if a conference, or league (NHL for example) was not in a deal with ESPN, ESPN ignored it. Clearly that was the deal in the Cato era. Yes, Gameday will go to a Fox Big 2, Little 8 game or a CBS SEC game, but the key point was that ESPN had deals with those conferences too. Ignored CUSA, because it did not. Two things have happened since. One, ESPN+ means that ESPN has a deal with most EVERY conference and league to some degree now. And two, the subscriber collapse that has happened to ESPN has taken it down off its high horse a bit.

Reactions: Chris McLaughlin
They actually have gone to cities where they wouldn’t cover the game. Today they are in Alabama for a game in prime time in CBS. They have done Big Ten games and not covered the game. Herbstreit catches a private jet (wheels up) to the location he is doing the game.

Saying that the likelihood of them being in Huntington is not very good. MTSU isn’t that good. Also they are doing their broadcast inside the stadiums now to keep fans away. Our game is at noon and the fountain ceremony is at 9. No way a TV show will broadcast in the stadium and game starts at end of the show.
I stand corrected. Of course I haven't seen GameDay in over 15 years. I believe Byron was our QB

Also, Game Day was in Harrisonburg, VA, a few seasons back at JMU when they were in the FCS playoffs, IIRC. Don't know if ESPN was showing those playoff games, however.

ESPN goes anywhere. They had a very random gameday, possibly Lafayette vs. Lehigh, due to the longevity of their rivalry. So I'd say it is possible ESPN could come to Huntington for gameday.

Reactions: marshallsig
ESPN has announced that the 11/14 College Gameday will be sited at Augusta National Golf Club. ESPN and CBS are sharing coverage of the foolishly delayed Masters that weekend.

This petition was started last year, but it is picking up steam again with a bunch of new people signing it to come close to 14K people:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT