ADVERTISEMENT

Coming Soon: Message board software upgrade

Chris McLaughlin

Grammar Snob
Staff
Feb 14, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
marshall.rivals.com
I'll sticky this tomorrow but I know sometimes people actually gloss over those threads so I'm making it a "normal" post for now:

This is a heads up that our message board is slated for an upgrade, tentatively scheduled for late Tuesday night/Wednesday morning (probably around 1 a.m. EST on that early Wednesday morning). Rivals is planning to do a few upgrades (site by site) each day.

During the upgrade, the board will be totally offline. The upgrade could take hours, so not sure if it'll be up and running by sunrise or not. The larger the forum archive, the longer it will take.

The Mississippi State site already has the upgrade. You can toggle light/dark mode via user preferences.

https://mississippistate.forums.rivals.com/forums/the-bone-yard-free-board.10/

New Features
  • Native emoji support
    • Use real emojis in thread titles and post content from your favorite device
  • Light / Dark style themes
  • User-selectable font scaling
  • Modernized profile popups / pages
    • Mouse-over (or tap on mobile) usernames to see new User Profile card
    • Click/tap on card name to go to new User Profile page
  • Unread alert & conversation icon/count in browser tabs
    • Number of unread alerts/conversation messages in title text
    • A red dot over the tab icon indicates at least one unread item
  • "What’s New" content menu
    • New forum navigation menu with additional ways to find new and unread threads and posts
  • Automatic url summary blocks
    • Pasting in a url (that isn't an embed) into a post will auto-create a box with title, thumbnail, and summary (if available from the destination)
  • "Quick Thread" new thread tool
    • A new box at the top of the thread list for quickly typing in a title and composing a new thread all at once without leaving the page
  • Last Post avatar shown on forum lists
    • See avatars in thread and forum lists for the most recent poster

Updated Features
  • Enhanced embedding from other sites
    • More (and better performing) embed types for sites like Twitter, Facebook, reddit, etc.
    • Drop the url in the text of the post and it will auto-embed if recognized
  • Optimized mobile experiences
    • Tap-optimized interactions
    • Layout and style tuned for smaller displays
  • Lots of additional streamlined functionality

@i am herdman we should have some "downtime" procedures in place for events such as this. Perhaps everyone will need to write their posts down on some official Pullman forms and then request through the proper channels for them to be posted. Obviously, all of Greed's will just get thrown in the garbage.

The larger the forum archive, the longer the longer it will take

That’s good news. Since Rivals reduced our archive down to the last 1.4 days, we should be up and running in no time.

@i am herdman we should have some "downtime" procedures in place for events such as this. Perhaps everyone will need to write their posts down on some official Pullman forms and then request through the proper channels for them to be posted. Obviously, all of Greed's will just get thrown in the garbage.

Going through official protocol, writing things down
on official forms, and going through proper channels to be posted is too ripe for fake posts . . . unless it’s in Florida, in which case, they’ve established a perfect system.

Have you, @i am herdman , and @raleighherdfan discussed your differences and agreed on a common argument yet, or are you all still contradicting each other?

Reactions: Chris McLaughlin
That’s good news. Since Rivals reduced our archive down to the last 1.4 days, we should be up and running in no time.

Going through official protocol, writing things down
on official forms, and going through proper channels to be posted is too ripe for fake posts . . . unless it’s in Florida, in which case, they’ve established a perfect system.

Have you, @i am herdman , and @raleighherdfan discussed your differences and agreed on a common argument yet, or are you all still contradicting each other?
Both raleigh and I are smart men. We don't need any help or advice.

I hear greed is going to ask you to help coach Out Wayne Little League next spring. Of course, he will be the manager and you will be the first base coach. Greed will be working with pitchers and catchers as he has more experience. This is assuming Out Wayne Little League doesn't have to cancel the season because of China Virus.

Reactions: ThunderCat98
Both raleigh and I are smart men. We don't need any help or advice.

I hear greed is going to ask you to help coach Out Wayne Little League next spring. Of course, he will be the manager and you will be the first base coach. Greed will be working with pitchers and catchers as he has more experience. This is assuming Out Wayne Little League doesn't have to cancel the season because of China Virus.

@riflearm2 will fit in just fine, considering he's been nothing more than a assistant coach his entire career. One would think he would show a little more respect for John Holliday, considering the similarities - physical (going bald) and coaching prowess.

@riflearm2 will fit in just fine, considering he's been nothing more than a assistant coach his entire career. One would think he would show a little more respect for John Holliday, considering the similarities - physical (going bald) and coaching prowess.

Wrong. Rifle's had more players drafted (not sarcasm).

Sorry for the very late note here, but the next round of site forum upgrades will be delayed until Tuesday.

WIth the last round of upgrades, there have been a few cases of log-in issues that engineering is working to fully understand, and they'd like to resolve that before moving forward.
cleardot.gif

WIth the last round of upgrades, there have been a few cases of log-in issues that engineering is working to fully understand, and they'd like to resolve that before moving forward.
cleardot.gif

By "log-in issues," are you referring to the problem that has allowed the three worthless posters to continue logging in and posting?

Sorry for the very late note here, but the next round of site forum upgrades will be delayed until Tuesday.

cleardot.gif
I think there is only one poster that has issues logging into the site, typically it takes tossing their cookies to resolve the issue.

Following up on our notes from the last staff meeting, did we decide to let greed to continue on after this upgrade?

Reactions: mlblack16.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT