ADVERTISEMENT

Committee Members

Everyone is giddy about Sean Lewis. I like him too, but Rifle brought up some interesting points. His defense isn't all that stellar and he has only been a coach for two season's at Kent State. They were the team that gave up 409 rushing yards and 8 TDs to Buffalo's RB. How many players did Kent State have out in that game?

Still let's take a deeper dive into Kent State under Lewis. His records at Kent State are 2-10, 7-6, and 3-1. Be honest. Did everyone that loves him now feel the same way about him last season.

Yes they looked good this season, but was that 3-1 record fools gold. Many claim our ranking this year was because of our schedule. That had we played our original schedule we wouldn't have been ranked that high or at least that early on.

Kent State's record consisted of beating 2-4 Eastern Michigan, 0-5 Bowling Green, and 1-5 Akron. The lone good team they face, Buffalo, beat them 70-41 with one player rushing for 400+ yards and 8 TDs. They gave up 514 total yards rushing in that game. Buffalo's other RB ran for 97 yards and 2 TDs. So Kent State gave up 10 rushing TDs in one game. I would imagine had he been our coach and done that, this site probably would have crashed. I bet even having players out wouldn't have mattered because we had half our OL out for Rice and no one will entertain that as an excuse.

Kent State was 123rd in rush defense. Even if you removed that Buffalo game they still gave up 178 yards per game to the 104th, 47th, and 84th rush offenses. I have no idea who they originally had schedule, but if they did play their full slate what do we think his record would have been? Let's say that they had 7-9 wins this season. Is Sean Lewis still your top pick?

I only post this because the reaction to him is like we'd be hiring the next big name. I have read posts saying exactly that. Kent Stat is very hard to win at I'll give him that.

I'll admit I didn't watch one second of Kent State football the last three seasons. For those that have. How does his offensive style compare to ours? Take your feelings for Doc out of it. In a vacuum on a play by play basis how does his offense compare? I'm genuinely curious. If he came in and kept Lambert for defense how much different would we have looked over the whole season. Not just the last three games. When our offense was actually humming how do they compare? Does he throw over the middle lol.

So far during his three years as HC he has a record of 12-17 and that breaks down as follows.
vs.500 or better teams he is 2-13 (0-6, 2-6, 0-1)
On the road he is 4-12 (1-6, 2-5, 1-1)
Against the P5 he is 0-6.

I'm not saying he would be a bad coach or I would even be mad at the hire, but are we taking 2020 for more than it's worth? Had they played their full run would he still be this appealing? I know their offensive stats were pretty darn impressive, but they didn't play anyone this year except for Buffalo and Buffalo pounded them. In record setting fashion.

I'm not saying he'd be a bad hire. I just keep reading posts like he's the next great thing. It's hard to win at Kent State.
I'll admit I haven't watched one second of Kent State over the last three years. How does his offense compare to ours? In a vacuum on a play-by-play basis how does his offense compare to our. Forgetting your feelings for Doc and how the season ended. When our offense was humming. How do they compare. If he keeps Lambert on as the DC what does our team look like in 2021 and in 2023 or 2024. Does he throw over the middle of the field lol.

Thorough analysis my friend. This is exactly why context matters. Now a dope like Perks will look exclusively at the end results and get a major Herdon and say we should hire him. However, as Rifle pointed out, Aaron wants anyone to be head coach, because he will love him to death, exclusively because he's the head coach.

Thorough analysis my friend. This is exactly why context matters. Now a dope like Perks will look exclusively at the end results and get a major Herdon and say we should hire him. However, as Rifle pointed out, Aaron wants anyone to be head coach, because he will love him to death, exclusively because he's the head coach.
That is why I, being a committee member emeritus, have my friend rifle as my football advisor.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT