ADVERTISEMENT

Conference USA Basketball Coaches Rank the Best Jobs in the Conference

7. Marshall (76) – The Thundering Herd has been to the NCAA tournament six times – most recently last season under Dan D’Antoni. Rick Huckaby went to three of them – in 1984, ’85 and ’87. Billy Donovan had a brief stop from 1994-1996 before being hired at Florida. The program has also put out some talent – led by Hal Greer and Hassan Whiteside – as well as the D’Antoni brothers.

Where they win: “Fan support is the best thing about the program. They are rabid, and the place is a great place to play. There’s also nothing else to do in Huntington.” – C-USA assistant coach

The knock: “Location. It’s in Huntington, and there just aren’t many players in the area. There’s also an expectation to compete for league titles and Marshall doesn’t have the same financial resources that the other top teams in the league have.” – C-USA head coach

The knock: “Location. It’s in Huntington, and there just aren’t many players in the area. There’s also an expectation to compete for league titles and Marshall doesn’t have the same financial resources that the other top teams in the league have.” – C-USA head coach

Can't tell that to Mr. Only Recruit 304.

and

I coached the Pro's, I don't do Zone Defenses.

In 2-3 let me know how that works out for him.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Can't tell that to Mr. Only Recruit 304.

and

I coached the Pro's, I don't do Zone Defenses.

In 2-3 let me know how that works out for him.

Peneva and Co would disagree. 2-3? It hasn't been a calendar year since DD hoisted the trophy.

Edit: You're the guy who wanted an alumni only board to filter out idiots, right?

H-I-A. Looks like your rating is based solely on basketball. Is there a similar rating for football?

These actually aren't my ratings, I just found these on the Stadium site. Yes these are only Basketball ratings because they only polled C-USA Basketball coaches. If I find one for Football (which could be quite interesting) I'll be sure to post it.

7. Marshall (76) – The Thundering Herd has been to the NCAA tournament six times – most recently last season under Dan D’Antoni. Rick Huckaby went to three of them – in 1984, ’85 and ’87. Billy Donovan had a brief stop from 1994-1996 before being hired at Florida. The program has also put out some talent – led by Hal Greer and Hassan Whiteside – as well as the D’Antoni brothers.

Where they win: “Fan support is the best thing about the program. They are rabid, and the place is a great place to play. There’s also nothing else to do in Huntington.” – C-USA assistant coach

Cannot disagree with anything said here.

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
Peneva and Co would disagree. 2-3? It hasn't been a calendar year since DD hoisted the trophy.

They had a good run, in the Conference Tourny. They beat MTSU who beat them twice in league play. It's hard to beat any decent team three times in a row in a Conference like CUSA.

Listening to some of you they feel: "Well we went to the field of 32 last year, this year we should be in the Sweet 16 if not beyond.". My question is what makes you feel we will make the tournament again? A run like we had last year don't happen too often, and we are not showing complete dominance, where as we can be as confident as some fans are. If you would have read my previous post closely I said In 2-3 Years let me know how the Recruit only 304 philosophy is working.

Reactions: The Real SamC
In 2-3 Years let me know how the Recruit only 304 philosophy is working.
It would work phenomenally if we were able to get the top guys we go after. I’d love to see this team with Chase Johnson (Florida), Elijah Cuffee (Liberty), & Luke Frampton (Davidson). I’d also like to get the two guards who play for Fairmont. Obinna Anochili-Killen has offers from GW, Penn St, Akron, & us. Think it’s a bad idea to recruit him, just because he’s from WV? Davis Early from Logan, is a 3* recruit, with offers from Duquesne, Ohio, wvu, and Marshall. I think it would be cool to land him too. The best two players on our team this year and last year are from WV. Early on, it looks like Jeremy Dillon looks belongs.

If you think recruiting local talent is a problem, you’re mistaken. There was a problem Donnie Jones & Tom Herriot letting a lot of local talent leave. WVU made tournament runs with some WV talent. WV puts out a decent amount of b-ball talent.

Reactions: pdbailey
It would work phenomenally if we were able to get the top guys we go after. I’d love to see this team with Chase Johnson (Florida), Elijah Cuffee (Liberty), & Luke Frampton (Davidson). I’d also like to get the two guards who play for Fairmont. Obinna Anochili-Killen has offers from GW, Penn St, Akron, & us. Think it’s a bad idea to recruit him, just because he’s from WV? Davis Early from Logan, is a 3* recruit, with offers from Duquesne, Ohio, wvu, and Marshall. I think it would be cool to land him too. The best two players on our team this year and last year are from WV. Early on, it looks like Jeremy Dillon looks belongs.

If you think recruiting local talent is a problem, you’re mistaken. There was a problem Donnie Jones & Tom Herriot letting a lot of local talent leave. WVU made tournament runs with some WV talent. WV puts out a decent amount of b-ball talent.
Marshall didn't really pursue Cuffee, There are reason they aren't particularly high on Early

Reactions: Sean Hammond
Marshall didn't really pursue Cuffee, There are reason they aren't particularly high on Early
Yeah, I know. I’m just pointing out that WV doesn’t have a bunch of trash & Dan has some outlandish belief that WV players can play. We’ll be playing against another WV talent tonight too.

Reactions: Herdmeister
No one says that there is no CUSA level talent in WV. Absolute statements are always wrong. And having in-state talent grows the fan base.

The question is, of course, is there enough CUSA level talent in WV?

No one says that there is no CUSA level talent in WV. Absolute statements are always wrong. And having in-state talent grows the fan base.

The question is, of course, is there enough CUSA level talent in WV?
Enough to fill 3-5 spots on the roster, like Dan has done since he’s been HC? Absolutely.

They had a good run, in the Conference Tourny. They beat MTSU who beat them twice in league play. It's hard to beat any decent team three times in a row in a Conference like CUSA.

Listening to some of you they feel: "Well we went to the field of 32 last year, this year we should be in the Sweet 16 if not beyond.". My question is what makes you feel we will make the tournament again? A run like we had last year don't happen too often, and we are not showing complete dominance, where as we can be as confident as some fans are. If you would have read my previous post closely I said In 2-3 Years let me know how the Recruit only 304 philosophy is working.
You do realize that only 4 of 22 recruits in D'Antoni's 5 recruiting classes were from WV? We had 4 transfers in that were from WV, but that is still only 8 of 27 players that have been brought in by D'Antoni. The current roster only has 5 scholarship players from WV and two of those guys are among the best players in CUSA.

The current team is struggling because of the late loss of Peneva and having 3 new players to fill his role in the team that aren't quite ready to be significant contributors. By the end of the season we will likely be one of the best teams in CUSA, but the overall record isn't going to show it.

You do realize that only 4 of 22 recruits in D'Antoni's 5 recruiting classes were from WV? We had 4 transfers in that were from WV, but that is still only 8 of 27 players that have been brought in by D'Antoni. The current roster only has 5 scholarship players from WV and two of those guys are among the best players in CUSA.

The current team is struggling because of the late loss of Peneva and having 3 new players to fill his role in the team that aren't quite ready to be significant contributors. By the end of the season we will likely be one of the best teams in CUSA, but the overall record isn't going to show it.

But sadly the record is how you are judged, not by ifs/ands or buts.....I can easily see at minimum 6-7 more losses however more could happen if showings like OU and Duquesne are present. The loss of one player usually doesnt take a talented team like Marshall had last year and crush them but given the lack of bigs with talent, it did here. Its a horrible perfect storm that is trying to be mitigated by a high paced offense that relies on 3's. That is a do or die strategy and lately its been die.

Good news- That's why conference tourneys are great. Improvement can be rewarded.

Bad news- 'one of' doesn't mean jack squat. The best has a nice reward, the rest don't. At least in a one bid league.

But sadly the record is how you are judged, not by ifs/ands or buts.....I can easily see at minimum 6-7 more losses however more could happen if showings like OU and Duquesne are present.

Correct. This team, as it has been for the last 30 years, is in "get hot in the conference tournament and who knows" mode. If, and only if, it wins the conference tournament will it make the NCAAs, and if so it will be seeded no higher than 13th.

But only 7 more losses is very optimistic. This team has already been easily handled by a 4-3 in DI Ohio, picked to finish 5th in the MAC E; and a 4-2 Duquesne picked 8th in the A10.

But sadly the record is how you are judged, not by ifs/ands or buts.....I can easily see at minimum 6-7 more losses however more could happen if showings like OU and Duquesne are present. The loss of one player usually doesnt take a talented team like Marshall had last year and crush them but given the lack of bigs with talent, it did here. Its a horrible perfect storm that is trying to be mitigated by a high paced offense that relies on 3's. That is a do or die strategy and lately its been die.
I could see us being 8-8 at mid-season with the schedule we have coming up. If we don't improve quickly, and start too slow in conference play, we could end up missing out on being in the top pool play group and have the hard road to CUSA title.

Today needs to be a "turn around" day for the Herd. Should be a relatively good audience and fan support to get it going; I know a bunch of folks going today that normally don't. The CAM should be supportive enough to get back that energy that has been lost in spurts the last several games, and also provide some confidence for the role players.

If not, it is going to be a long time (except for Morehead State on Monday) before we get to enjoy very many happy stories about this current basketball team. Time to find out who to play and how much is today, IMHO.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT